The DaVinci Code Discussion

The book says it's real, the website says it's not.

let's just say that if it *did* exist, and their activities were as described in the book, i wouldn't mind Victor Hugo being a member ;).

I bought the book last Sunday when i saw it at Costco for 21.99 in hardcover and i just wanted to see what all the craze was about so i bought it. I must say the plot was very very good, despite the fact that you could kinda predict what the general direction it was going, i have to say i was very very impressed with the details.

One thing though, when i brought it to school, one of my english teacher pointed something out about it. It has poor characterization, as in it's not very accurate with behavioural patterns. She said because everyone has a copy, they're going to think it's "literature" but it's not really "literature" beacuse it has poor characterization and after thinking about it, she's right. Like Jack Sauniere he's French but in a flashback or soemthing he called Sophie sweetie. does that make sense? I know he's bilingual and all and it's just an "english interpretation" or whatever, but seriously, I guess he can call her "ma cherie" but ... meh.

but overall, i liked the book. :smiley:

--Mandy :angelic:

All of Dan Brown's books were great, but Deception Point was the least-best out of all ( I don't wanna say worst because it makes it sound bad when it isn't, just not as good)

Dan Brown in a genius! I absolutely loved this book! It was such an intricately weaved story... it kept me on the edge of my seat... I want to read it again. (but 1st I will be picking up Angels and Demons!)

I just bought the book today, actually for a friend of mine as a bday gift, but then i read the first page...and i couldn't put it down. so i read the first few chapters and this book is amazing...i also have to buy it for myself :D

I just finished Angels and Demons, I liked it. I thought the myth behind it was a lot stronger in the Da Vinci code but the characters were better developed in Angels and Demons.
--Mandy :angelic:

Source: www.comingsoon.net

Tom Hanks Deciphers The Da Vinci Code
Source: Newsweek November 14, 2004

Tom Hanks has been pegged to play the lead role in Sony's upcoming film The Da Vinci Code, the adaptation of author Dan Brown's best-selling thriller, Newsweek has learned. Director Ron Howard and producer Brian Grazer, the duo who helped make Hanks a star with their 1984 comedy Splash and rehired him 11 years later for Apollo 13, cast Hanks as the globe-trotting scholar Robert Langdon, a decision based partially on the cerebral (riddle-solving, code-cracking) nature of the action in "Da Vinci."

"Tom is an exciting actor to watch thinking," Howard tells the magazine. "We probably don't need his status from a box-office standpoint" -- by now, The Da Vinci Code sells itself -- "but he gives Langdon instant legitimacy."

Howard and Grazer are taking their time casting "Da Vinci," but plan to hire actual foreign actors to play the book's foreign characters. "If there's any book that's supposed to be an international thriller, says Grazer, "this is it." Grazer tells Newsweek that one recent Oscar winner inquired about the role of Parisian cryptologist Sophie Neveu, "and she could easily do it. But I think the audience would be let down a bit. They expect a French girl." As for the role of bullish cop Bezu Fache, Gordon reports that Jean Reno is on Grazer's short list.

Grazer first got wind of The Da Vinci Code early in 2003, when Joel Surnow -- creator of the acclaimed TV series 24 -- thought "Da Vinci" would make a terrific story line for the show's third season. Surnow asked his boss, Grazer, to look into acquiring the rights. But as Brown had no intention of handing over his book to a mere TV show, Grazer says that "it quickly became clear that we had no chance." A few months later Sony paid $6 million for the movie rights -- and hired Grazer as the producer for the biggest film adaptation since "Harry Potter."

The 53-year-old Grazer, who also paired with Howard on the Oscar-winning A Beautiful Mind, has several upcoming projects on his slate, including an animated Curious George film with Will Ferrell and Fun with Dick and Jane starring Jim Carrey. Grazer is also producing a documentary about the notorious skinflick Deep Throat, Gordon reports. Due out in February, it may be the first NC-17 movie released by a major studio in years.

Even though Tom Hanks doesn't really have the physical appearance of Langdon, he does have the ability to embody the character's soul. He's a fantastic actor and I think he's a good choice. Besides, I don't think he's ever done a role like this before.

As for Jean Reno. Absolutely perfect. He already looks like the detective and he can definitely pull off the character.

ms.katejones said:
Apparently, JG is up for the part of Sophie in the movie they're making of The Da Vinci Code. I hope it's as good as the book.
[post="1053771"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

That might be the actress the article says asked the director about the role. But, I do think the actress should be French. The character will seem more authentic.

Edit: ^ Oops. The article said the actress was an Oscar winner. Then... I dunno.

I though that the Davinci Code was very cool! I liked it alot! Dan Brown is up there on my favourites list now and i plan to read Angels and Demons.

Oh yeah, btw, did anyone else who read the Davinci Code keep thinking that Teabing's name was Teabag? Well, i did. LOL! Everytime i read his name in the book, my mind would always say "Teabag". I know, i'm weird :smiley:

Definitely not right.

I don't know, but I think it would be hard to make a movie out of The Da Vinci Code because the book has so much information about paintings and ancient history and everything else that is very important to the whole plot. I guess I don't know how they can present all these facts without confusing people and without stopping the action. Maybe it will be just less intellectual....I don't know.

Back