Sci-Fi The Day The Earth Stood Still

I would just like to ask, is the re-make of The Day The Earth Stood Still the worst re-make of a movie ever?. I would be interested to see if anyone realy thought this movie was any good.

I didn't think it was that bad! :P It certainly did not come close to the quality of the first one but I'm not sure if it is the worst remake.

For worst, I'd have to nominate some of the various Wizard of Oz remakes.

I would have to agree that The Day The Earth Stood Still is one of the worst remakes ever. Hollywood is in love with remaking old movies and TV shows and so many remakes are produced now, that I have to wonder if the strategy employed by Hollywood executives is to throw it against the wall and see if it sticks. On the other hand, some remakes work. The new Star Trek reboot was really well done. The Dawn of the Dead remake a few years back was superb as well, so every once in while Hollywood gets it right. When movie makers foul up, the paying audience ends up holding the bag of flaming dog doo doo with a turd of a movie remake that should have been shelved!

A further comment on Hollywood and remakes.
I've had a chance over the last dozen years to speak with a couple of full time writers for Television and films, and to "Forum" with about 30 more.
There is one consensus.
Hollywood, the business, is INCREDIBLY risk-averse, and not without reason. A bad film destroys careers, yes, but above all it burns HUGE amounts of money.
Even with today's CGI backgrounds, psuedo-mattes and pseudo-characters, it still consumes more than 3 million PER DAY to shoot a small film.
That kind of risk is just what the studios do not want, what with Peter Jackson, Wang Kar-Wei and the various Bollywood studios breathing fire and competition down on their necks.
So, they fall back on the 'tried and true' over, and over, and over...
"The Day the Earth Stood Still" worst? Not in my opinion.
That dishonor, in my arrogant opinion, belongs to "War of the Worlds" with Tom Cruise-missile.
Though I give dishonorable mention to Paramount's 'alternate time line' "Enterprise" even before "The Day The Earth Stood Still".
UGH!!! Nonsensical, pointless, derivative.
In saving grace, I am willing to grant that do-overs can turn out well.
Look at Edward James Olmos in "Battlestar Galactica". Sci-fi to be PROUD of!!

Back