The Dead Zone

V

verdantheart

I just thought that this is a good series and thought I'd provide a place to discuss it if anyone wanted to. Of course, the series is based on the Stephen King novel by the same name.

The series has a fantastic web site that even includes complete shooting scripts (they're in the episode guide)! I wish that we had that for Alias! Last season they started providing the first act of the script before the episode aired!

The new (second) season begins Jan 5, 2003 at 10 pm Eastern on USA network. The reviews for the series have been exceedingly good and the production team and many of the writers hail from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, if that's of interest.

Cool, umm but I think you ment '2003' not '3003' :P I've watched this show before, but only about three episodes over and over again :rolleyes: I'm wondering about this new seson, it sounds cool ^_^

The Dead Zone is one of my favorite shows :D !!! But I may need to brace myself.You see I read the novel and believe me this story does not end well......Johnny NEVER ends up back together with Sarah. Poor Johnny dies in the end alone, and in the eyes of many is not seen as a hero. Hopefully USA network will write another ending......but given their track record,especially with how stupid they ended La Femme Nikita, I doubt that it will happen. :(

I can't speak for the writers on La Femme Nikita, but the writers for The Dead Zone are very good. They recently had an episode in which Johnny had to figure out how to stop a plane from crashing and get the pilot to believe him--very taut and well put together.
;)

For those interested, USA has apparently extended The Dead Zone's season for 6 more episodes this summer, with new eps tentatively scheduled to start July 6. No new info is out on the show's home page yet, I got the info from www.trekweb.com.
;)

Hey, I just found out they're going to run the "lost episode" as part of their summer run! I guess the heat's off a little. Also, the first season of The Dead Zone will be out on DVD on June 17. If you're interested, you can order it through Amazon via this link and support allalias.com (hopefully I copied the link over correctly!).

(Everything seems to be coming out right now! I just announced the fourth season of Buffy over in its forum . . .)
;)

Here's a reminder for everybody that The Dead Zone returns with new episodes on Sunday, July 6 on USA at 10pm Eastern/9 Central (Wah, 8 Mountain, I'll be watching the encore Tuesday at 12 Eastern . . .). Here's a message from the official website, from Lloyd Segan. There are episode summary spoilers, which I've whited out; highlight them if you want a taste of what's ahead!

(Attention Voyager fans! Robert Picardo will be on this week.)
;)

~~~~
Dear Fans:

Michael Piller is on vacation with his family, so he has passed the baton to me to continue the tradition of reporting on the progress of THE DEAD ZONE. Thus, I have been given the privilege of introducing our exciting summer cycle of all-new episodes.

This Sunday, July 6th, we will debut a series of seven thrilling new DEAD ZONE episodes. In addition to the six shows that have been custom-tailored to bring you more excitement, adventure, intrigue, mystery, and heart than ever, we are also airing the controversial episode "The Hunt." This story, which concerns the U.S. Army's recruitment of psychics to aid in the war on terror, was originally slated to air this spring - but the network decided that, given the real events going on in the world, it would be appropriate to hold off. Now that combat is (technically) over in the Middle East, we are proud to air "The Hunt" as our fourth episode on July 27th.

These episodes are designed to grab audiences and keep them in their seats, and they offer a dazzling array of action, suspense, jeopardy, and visual effects. To facilitate this, we have recruited three of our top directors - each of whom lends their individual cinematic signatures to their episodes.

The summer cycle offers more than popcorn-munching adventures, however; it will also continue to explore the series-long story arcs that make the series emotionally satisfying. For the first time, THE DEAD ZONE will begin to lay the foundations for a relationship between Johnny and his son (will J.J. finally discover who his biological father is?). Also, look for new developments in the love triangle between Johnny, Sarah, and Dana. And, of course, the series mythology continues to unfold as Johnny struggles with his destiny, knowing that his ultimate mission is to somehow save the world from Armageddon.

Let's take a closer look at the episodes...

1. THE STORM - story by Laura J. Burns & Melinda Metz and Michael Piller, teleplay by Michael Piller - directed by Michael Robison ("Enigma", "Here There Be Monsters", "Zion")

When Bruce lures Johnny away from his solitude for a "vacation" that's really an "intervention" arranged by Purdy and the rest of Johnny's friends, fate decides to intervene on its own, sending Johnny and Bruce on a storm chasing adventure as they battle their way to their endangered friends. As you witness the climax of this episode, you will wonder whether the storm has a mind of it's own. This episode features guest stars Robert Picardo and Jane Lynch playing a married duo of Johnny Smith groupies crossing the country with their family in a Winnebago. The other star is the storm itself, depicted in all its fierce majesty through the magic of Sam Nicholson, Jaison Stritch, and the rest of our phenomenal effects team at Stargate Digital.

2. THE PLAGUE - story by Jeremy Bernstein, teleplay by Jill Blotevogel - directed by Mike Rohl ("Cabin Pressure")

When a SARS-like epidemic hits Penobscot County, Johnny is faced with the possibility that his son may be amongst the victims and must use his powers - and risk making the ultimate sacrifice - in time to save J.J.'s life. In this episode, acclaimed actor Stephen Tobolowsky lends us his extraordinary gifts as skeptical public health official Jim Pratt.

3. DEJA VOODOO - written by Karl Schaefer - directed by James Head ("Descent", "Ascent" and "The Man Who Never Was")

This is a fiendishly clever episode that is guaranteed to keep you guessing. When a chance meeting with a beautiful woman sets off a chain reaction of murder and romance, you will be left wondering what is real and what isn't. Guest star Reiko Aylesworth steals Johnny's heart in this episode, and will undoubtedly steal yours as well. Their chemistry together is magical.

4. THE HUNT - story by Joe McMoneagle & Michael Piller, teleplay by Michael Piller - directed by James Head

As Michael Piller stated in his last communication with you, "we took no liberties with the facts as they were presented to us." In this episode, which is steeped in reality, the U.S. Army recruits Johnny to use his psychic skills to find a mysterious, tall, bearded terrorist leader (who shall remain nameless). With a great supporting cast and a visually powerful depiction of war torn Central Asia, this intense episode will convince you that truth is truly stranger than fiction. After viewing this episode, I guarantee that some in the CIA will wonder whether we actually shot this in a Pakistani village, not Vancouver.

5. THE MOUNTAIN - written by Michael Cassutt - directed by Mike Rohl

This story starts out as an innocent fishing trip with our unconventional family of Johnny, J.J., Walt and Sarah, but soon turns into a high stakes thriller when Johnny gets a vision of a plane crash after touching a piece of its missing fuselage. Guided by the local forest ranger and his two compatriots, their trip soon turns deadly as they search for the lost plane and its multi-million dollar cargo. Shot in the spectacular wilderness of British Columbia, this episode also features an outstanding performance from guest star Scott Winters ("Oz", "Good Will Hunting"), who portrays a charismatic character with a twisted dark side.

6. THE COMBINATION - written by Michael Taylor - directed by James Head

THE DEAD ZONE meets RAGING BULL and ROCKY in this dynamic, high-stakes tale of life and death in the ring. When Johnny goes public with his vision that a heavyweight contender (Danny Avila, played by Greg Serano) is going to die in an upcoming bout, his announcement has the opposite effect he wanted and ends up turning the match into the pay-per-view event of the year. Avila can't back out now, however, and this becomes the fight of his life, his one big chance - even if it kills him. This episode was filmed on a specially constructed boxing arena, built to professional heavyweight specifications, and we recruited top stunt boxing choreographers to give it maximum authenticity while maintaining safety for all concerned. Special guests include Glen Plummer, who plays a smarmy, flamboyant boxing promoter, and ESPN's very own Joe Tessitore, Teddy Atlas, Max Kellerman, and Brian Kenny.

7. VISIONS - written by Craig Silverstein - directed by Michael Robison

On August 17th, THE DEAD ZONE completes its summer episodes with this climactic, engrossing story that may provide answers to some of the mysteries that have been threaded throughout the summer (for example, who is that man who has been stalking Johnny Smith?), but may raise new questions as well. The story will bring the cycle to a conclusion as it further explores the mythology of Armageddon. It's a slam dunk that the final moments will leave you craving more (if I revealed more than this, they'd have to kill me...). In this episode, Frank Whaley portrays Christopher Wey, a husband and father who's on the path of self destruction. Wait till you see who we got to play his wife Madeleine - it's a true casting coup. Incidentally, Mr. Whaley brought his family to Vancouver while filming "Visions," so this story had plenty of resonance for him.

These episodes bring you the extraordinary production values, sophisticated storytelling, and powerful performances that you've come to expect from THE DEAD ZONE, and we hope you enjoy them. Please join us Sunday night, July 6th at 10/9 central, and every Sunday night this summer through August 17th.

Thank you.

- Lloyd Segan, Executive Producer

P.S. Thanks to my partner Michael Piller and my peeps Rob Chynoweth and Adam Fratto for insuring that I don't give away too much too soon.

I read that Anthony Michael Hall did his own stunt falling through the window in "Deja Voodoo." I thought it was a fascinating episode.
;)

Please try it. I think it's one of the most creative--and thoughtful--things on right now.
;)

OMG!!! I used to always watch The Dead Zone, but then it got boring, but last night I watched it again, and there was a 47 in it, and and and...Johnny Smith said, "Screw Protocol!" :woot: I was laughin so hard, it was gr8. Cuz the guy's all, "You are breaking so many rules of protocol" and John's like, "Screw protocol!" :smiley:

Oh man!!! I totally forgot all about this show, it's a GOOD one!!! I really wish I saw the rest of the season eps. Now I have to watch this one too!

This season it's been really pretty exciting. They had one on a plane where he had to figure out how to keep it from crashing--and last week was one called "Deja Voodoo" where he seemed to be in this loop of visions where he had to work out a way to keep this cute girl alive.
;)

I've only watched two episodes: one where he was in a hostage situation in a bank (I think) and last nights episode where he was working to find Osama. Its a great show and I really enjoyed watching the movie too.