Politics the death penalty

You have to keep in mind that all of my statistics are for the United States, so I'm sure how things are in other countries.

In my state alone it costs 2.16 million dollars more to execute someone than to keep someone in jail for life without parole.

A life in prison sentence usually averages out to about 40-50 years. To keep someone in prison for life for 50 years it costs, on average, $805,000. While executing someone, in most states, costs about 3 million dollars per person.

And also, in the states, it's been shown that it doesn't deter crime. States with the death penalty do not have any less crime than states without it.

well if prisons werent made as flash as some of them, people would know that they arent going to have a great time "doing time" so that might deter them. there are so many issues surrounding this topic. in my opinion the justic system, especially in Australia, needs a complete overhaul. its laughable some of the sentences handed down. i mean just today a man was given 7 years for kidnapping a baby, but drug smugglers are given much less, and the same goes for murder. people who kill someone while driving get to keep their license while they are being investiagted and in court. as the saying goes "people can get away with murder" - literally.

if one sees another getting raped in an alley and one does nothing about, that person is just as guilty of rape as the actual rapist.

That's not true. Technically, they didn't actually commit a crime. They are just heinous and immoral.

Ahh, so Ahhhhhnold is a murderer becasue he upheld a sentence.

Well, yes. Just because you give an order to execute someone for a taking somebody else's life, that doesn't mean you aren't taking theirs. However, as i have said before, i believe that if you take somebody else's life, you forfeit your own.

Its really not a stupid thing to say ebcasue the difference between animals and humans is the ability to make judgements, which a criminal does not have.

As the_alliance said, of course a criminal can make judgements!! however, what they then said ...

what separates criminals from law-abiding citizens is that criminals often make judgements that involve ending someone else's life. by denying clemency, Gov. Scharzenegger has also made a judgement call to end someone else's life. the murderer on death row had a logical reason (in his mind) to kill those four people. the governer also had a logical reason (in his mind) to kill this murderer.

see the parallels? someone who doesn't directly prevent a murder is like a murderer him/herself.

the first part is true, i agree with that. But as i said before, technically if a person doesn't directly prevent a murder if they see/know its happening, they didn't commit a crime. Again with the heinous and immoral. But if a person sees a murder and doesn't stop it from happening (for no reason, obviously if there is a reason why they can't then this is inapplicable) then it could be said that they are responsible for the death, not the actual murder.

well, i'm done for today. Ciao.

I think the murderers have it easy when they get the death penalty. It would be worse to be in prison and live with the things you have done. I'm against the death penalty... If you kill a killer it's still killing and killing is a crime.

we should issue the death penalty to all american soldiers in war ;)

I take a pretty significant amount of offense to that. I'm completely and totally opposed to the war but that does not mean I do not support the troops. To insinuate that American soliders who are fighting in Iraq without any choice should die is awful and inexcusable. One of my good friends is going to be in Iraq within a matter of months. He joined the army to get money to pay for college, not necessarily because he wanted to fight, to say that he should be put to death for this choice is appalling and you should probably think before you speak :angry:

It's not the Soldiers' choice to go to war. They do what they're told, which is fine.

It's Bush's and Blair's fault that we're at war in Iraq. If Blair had some balls, he'd have told Bush to frack off, but once again, we've became America's lapdog.

While I do not support blind obedience to military command, we cannot teach that killing is wrong by killing.

It rather shocks me that you aren't as upset about that comment as I am. And would you rather have these soliders put in jail because they disagree with this war? I'm sorry but I cannot place any blame on the soliders who are over there doing their job just because I do not support the war. They have no control in being over there, and I support them. To have them refuse to do their job would just land them in jail where they would not make any money to support their families. Instead of placing blame on the soliders, let's look at who got us into this mess.

It rather shocks me that you aren't as upset about that comment as I am. And would you rather have these soliders put in jail because they disagree with this war? I'm sorry but I cannot place any blame on the soliders who are over there doing their job just because I do not support the war. They have no control in being over there, and I support them. To have them refuse to do their job would just land them in jail where they would not make any money to support their families. Instead of placing blame on the soliders, let's look at who got us into this mess.
Thank You Life & Travel - Travel. Love. Life. Grattitude.

If every soldier who was against this war did what Lt. Watada did, who would fight this war?

Back