Politics the death penalty

I'm against the death penalty.

If a person is accused of commiting murder, and they're sentenced to the death penalty, but they didn't really do it, then they'll die for a crime they didn't even commit. There was a case in Canada where a man was accused of killing someone, and was sentenced to life in prison. 21 years later there was evidence found that proved he didn't do it. If he were American there would have been a chance he could have died for something that he didn't even do.

And another thing, if you're killing someone for killing someone else, isn't that just as bad as what they did in the first place?

Just my thoughts ;)

I'm against the death penalty. What if the person is innocent? I'd rather have a thousand murderers spend the rest of their life in jail and have the possibility of escape than have an innocent person executed by the government.

I used to be for the death penalty, but recently changed my mind. What if the person was innocent but *all* evidence pointed against them? An innocent person shouldn't have to die.

We worked on death penalty with our English teacher at school a few months ago, and I can tell you I'm against it! I'm glad to see that there is no death penalty in France since 1981. I think the person needs to be sent in jail for the rest of his life in order to pay for what he did. Killing someone is too easy for me, but that's my opinion.

Ok just wanted to add that you can't put someone to the death penalty unless you have evidence and facts to back it up after you get that you have to usually wait a year till it's cleared before anything to take into action...also wanted to add that prison isnt that bad ;) they have beds some even have tv the food sucks but it's edible my friend works in that department and really it's a life you dont have to pay for that isnt half bad there are "bad" prisons out there but most are just places to hold prisioners....so in the end people put to the death penalty are FULLY cleared if you were just to put to jail for stealing or believed stealing they dont do such intenese back up checks on you as if you murdered or attempted murder on someone.....so in the end it makes them suffer having to wait a year knowing their going to die
~Finally something I know a lot about ^_^

i believe that if bloodless means are sufficient to defend human lives against an aggressor and to protect public order and the safety of persons, public authority must limit itself to such means, because they better correspond to the concrete conditions of the common good and are more in conformity to the dignity of the human person

well I live in Hawaii and we dont have the death penalty here but i am for it because their are so many people in this world that commit so much crime and get away with it that in a way it sickens me its not right....im not saying that every criminal should die but we should have it as an alternative if the case is that serious with the relavant evidence. thats just what i think.

I'm against the death penalty. Well, it really depends on the crime. If it's rape or murder, than give them the death penalty. They deserve it. But if it's something other than those two crimes, than it's wrong.

I’m against the death penalty. Too many people have been executed and then later found to be innocent.

I might also add the saying:
“Why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?”

WHat about people who are wrongfully convicted, and sentenced to death? How is that fair? Imgaine yourself in this defenceless situation. I have to find my essay, but it's on my other comp...

I'm totally against it and in fact I'm really glad that the death penalty doesn't exist in my country. I'm absolutly sure that the death penalty doesn't only kill criminels....I hear so often that innocent people were in prison so there must also be people who were innocent , but have been executed.
Did you ever see ,,the life of david Gale"?

Dreila said:
I'm against the death penalty. Well, it really depends on the crime. If it's rape or murder, than give them the death penalty. They deserve it. But if it's something other than those two crimes, than it's wrong.
[post="981974"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:thinking: Well, to the best of my knowledge.. the death penalty isn't really used for lesser crimes.. not in modern times anyway.
Personally, I'm for the death penalty. No question some innocent people are put to death.. I'd personally consider it a sacrafice for the greater good. Were we to deal in extremes, I'd much rather be put to death with 100 guilty people.. than for all of us to go free.. That's just me though ;)

Natalia said:
"I'm opposed to the death penalty, the reason being that the law always makes mistakes and a mistake with the death penalty is irreversible."
[post="974248"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I like that quote!

I'm against the death penalty.

Firstly because it can cause death to the innocent. Okay, granted that rarely happens, but there are times when evidence is mis-interpreted. At least if they are in a normal jail, there is the chance for evidence to clear them, especially since there are leaps made in science and technology everyday.

Secondly, even if someone is guilty, I don't believe it is right to kill them; both because death is an easy way out (Why do you think lots of prisoners on death row/life in jail commit suicide? Okay, some of them have other problems, but others see it as an easier way out.), and because I don't see how people can see their actions as right if they are doing exactly what they are punishing the person they are executing for. I can understand someone killing someone in heat-of-the-moment self-defence, but executing them? It really makes no sense to me.

I'm so glad I don't live somewhere that has the death penalty.

Jai

I'm FOR the death penalty... and as someone said earlier, only in the instance that they are without a doubt, 100 % guilty of the crime they committed. I agree that there are faults within the justice system and innocent people are put behind bars for years for a crime they never commited -- or put to death only later to find out they never committed the crime...

Someone said putting them behind bars is punishment enough.... well I'm tired of being punished in the respect that my tax dollars go to putting food in that murderer's mouth, clothes on that serial molester's back, and a pot to basically pi$$ in for that child killer..... :angry:

Rant over.... :smiley:

I am AGAINST the Death Penalty. Most murders love to cover up their tracks and or blame it one someone else, give them a motive, a reason, none of which can be real. So this innocnet person gets instead of sent to jail for a crime he didn't commit, dies. I think that I'd rather have everyone who was found guilty, get sent to jail even if an innocent one gets sent through, because at least its better than being innocent and dying. There is never any real proof as to someone killing somone. It could be a cover up or anything. Unless you have the evidence of a camera and a tape or a voice recording (which can even be altered.) then you'll never know for SURE if you have a murderer on your hands or an innocent man.

Death Penalty pros and cons
the MISTAKE argument: Any mistakes made are only a small percentage of the total, something like only 0.33 of 1%; errors are very rare; nearly every human endeavor worth taking may cost the lives of innocent people.

I am for the death penalty mainly because i do believe in an eye for an eye. -_-
--Mandy :angelic:

So, does this 'eye for an eye' concept apply to everything? If somebody steals your car, does that mean you are entitled to steal theirs? If somebody rapes you, should you rape them in return? If somebody breaks something of yours, are you entitled to break something of theirs?

Doesn't that just make you as bad as the other person?

I just can't comprehend the death penalty. It seems a very backwards idea for a country that likes to think of itself as being progressive.

Back