Politics the death penalty

Natalia said:
So? It still doesn't make the death penalty right.

The US is behind the entire Western world on this issue.
[post="1030072"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Not only that, but the U.S. also allows minors to be sentenced to death, which means we don't sign certain human rights treaties because juvenile executions are considered to be inhumane. It is a really bad example to the rest of the world.

AliasHombre said:
How can people say that murderes have the right to life but not babies?
[post="1029813"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

both a murderer AND a baby has the right to life. we do not control "life" but we can control what we do in it.

AliasHombre said:
How can people say that murderes have the right to life but not babies?
[post="1029813"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Babies are not yet alive, but the murferer is. It is up to the mother whether or not she wants to keep the baby or get an abortion, it is her choice. This may be an innocent life but it's not a lived life. Sad yes, I don't like abortion unless in cases where you were raped or something but it is their option. TOTALLY 2 SEPARATE things.

Alias_Addict47 said:
Babies are not yet alive, but the murferer is. It is up to the mother whether or not she wants to keep the baby or get an abortion, it is her choice. This may be an innocent life but it's not a lived life. Sad yes, I don't like abortion unless in cases where you were raped or something but it is their option. TOTALLY 2 SEPARATE things.
[post="1036468"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
How you can say a cellular organism is not alive, i don' know. but this is not the right thread for this

I'm not the one who brought it up :D ;) But a life for a life is something I don't think is right. Though I don't want my money going to murderers and felgercarb...well actually I don't really care for the death penalty now. Murderers killed another human beings so they should pay. I don't think its right but I'm not as against it as I was.

PLEASE lets not have another abortion debate.

A Korean/Australian is going to be executed in Asia for possessing drugs. Now, I know he broke the law, but this is just crazy.

The pro-death penalty people here are only mentioning murder, but so many people in so many countries are executed for other crimes. And the US says this is accpetable. It is completely inhumane to say that.

setting double standards i see. a life is a life, no matter what "arguments" you may have. a baby's life should be dignified as much as a murderer's life, because ALL life is precious and valuable.

Like I said, the death penalty often isn't about killing murderers. How do you feel about the fact the US is allowed to kill people for ordinary crimes, or that fact going to continue to be avoided because it doesn't sound as good to debate from up on that moral high horse?

And the fact you think abortion is bad doesn't make the death penalty good. If you are so 'pro-life', why do you condone killing at all??

I find this topic highly interesting. I don't believe in the death penalty however I do think that some people deserve it like the Bali bombers, September 11th bombers, Timothy Mc Veigh (even though he's dead) and the like etc. ;)
But then again, I'm very proud that where I live, opposes the death penalty. As Natalia mentioned, there is an Australian man in Singapore getting the death penalty for drug possession charges. Now I do think he deserves to be charged but not with the dealth penalty.

I contradict myself all the time! :lol:

i haven't completely decided what i think about the death penalty. on one hand, i think it is used too often and sometimes on innocent victims. however, if a man brutally rapes and murders a child, for example, i can't say i'd have a problem with him being put to death. nor can i honestly say i would cry at osama bin laden's funeral if he were ever killed for his crimes. it's a tough, complicated issue.

I don't agree with the death penalty. I don't think anyone has the right to take another persons life, no matter what they have done. People have argued hear that if someone has killed another person that means that they should be killed too. life isn't black and white. What if someone accidently hit someone with their car? should they be put to death? I expect that the victims family, if only for a fleeting second would wish them dead, does that mean they should be put to death? Where do you draw the line?
I don't agree with 'an eye for an eye', if someone tortues another person and leaves them for dead, do we torture them? and who do we ask to do that job? surely if they are repared to torture someone what does that say about them? And what does it teach our children? that if we hit someone hit them back and that is not the best way to deal with problems.
I think that life should mean life. A life in solitary confinement would be more punishment, in my opinion, than being killed.
I personally could not be the person who gave the injection or flicked the switched on the electric chair and therefore can't justify asking another person to do so.
As someone has already pointed out, it costs more to put someone to death than to keep them in prison for life, so it can't be justified in that respect.

beccalouise said:
As someone has already pointed out, it costs more to put someone to death than to keep them in prison for life, so it can't be justified in that respect.
[post="1045600"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Really? This I didn't know. I've always assumed that it costs less to execute someone...

I'm personally against capital punishment, but I decided to type in arguments from a criminological point of view for both sides. I'm a criminology student and this is coming directly from my lecture notes.

For Capital Punishment:

- If they think it's okay to kill people, why can't we kill them?
- Makes room in prison
- Why should we use government money to house criminals?
- The punishment should fit the crime

Against:

- In areas with capital punishment, there are higher crimes rates. Why?
--> There is a low certainty of getting capital punishment
--> The state killing justifies the killing by its citizens
--> Even if someone does get the death sentence, it takes a very long time before that comes around
--> criminals who do get this sentence aren't afraid of the capital punishment
- There have been errors regarding who is put on death row. In the last couple of decades, 70+ people had to be pulled off because new (scientific) evidence came up that proved their innocence. Imagine how many innocents could have died before these scientific methods came into use?

The punishment should fit the crime
And the problem is, a lot of the time, it doesn't.

A lot of people around the world who are put to death are done so for drug possession or something similar. Some places all it takes to be murdered - and that's what the death penalty is - is to possess marijuana.

Back