Politics the death penalty

Jails are an extremely rough place. That's an understatement. Murderers (And Rapists IMO) deserve to be kept in jail for life. There should be no chance of parole or release unless new absolving evidence has been brought into the case. Let them rot away in jail, but don't kill anyone. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. We can't justify the death penalty because we're fighting immorality with immorality.

I don't understand your argument AliasHombre. You advocate the death penalty even if the person is found guilty based upon false pretenses, but question the morality of locking up a murderer or a rapist?

AliasHombre said:
Who's to say locking someone up is moral???

I just don't want a chance that any of these serious offenders will ever see the light of day again.
[post="1300423"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

And if we beef up security and keep those offenders who would've been 'death row' offenders in solitary confinement...then we won't have to worry about it.

A lot of these guys don't care if they're killed anyways...a worse fate is to sit in prison for the rest of their lives with nothing to do but think about the crimes they've committed. Death is too easy of a way out.

i think it's funny how people will fight to keep one terri schiavo alive in a vegitative state but will eagerly throw any criminal to death row, where they will rot for years, drain the treasury, and put another black mark on our record.

Scarlet Crystal said:
i think it's funny how people will fight to keep one terri schiavo alive in a vegitative state but will eagerly throw any criminal to death row, where they will rot for years, drain the treasury, and put another black mark on our record.
[post="1305491"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
And that the people who were fighting for her pretend to value life so much, and yet see nothing wrong with these medieval attitudes about punishment.

i'm 100% against death penalty. because i don't think any person here on this earth has the right to decide over another persons life, like wether she gets to live or if she must die. life is too beautiful for that. and besides, for example, if a murderer is killed by the death penalty, shouldn't the one who "did" the death penalty to this murderer also be considered a murderer and therefore should have the death penalty? violence only brings more violence.

Anyone that tries to justify the death penalty by saying any innocent lives that are wasted are made up for by the lives saved should ask themselves would they like to be that one innocent person executed by mistake, or if it was their dad or their brother or sister

If they can say yes then they've got a point. If they say no then it just proves how false the logic is.

Like I've said before, get rid of the death penalty and then you can make security so much better.

These people are escaping due to a lax in security.

AliasHombre said:
I don't see how the death penalty causes lax security at prisions.
[post="1306194"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I never said it did...but lack of funds do. The death penalty is extremely expensive. By eliminating it we would have more money at our disposal to use for better security in prisons.

Maybe we need to give everyone the same security that current death row inmates receive...you don't hear about them escaping.

AliasHombre said:
Housing thousands more crimina;s also costs a lot of money which brings me to another point:  why do we give these people so many amenities?
[post="1306404"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

The average cost of keeping a criminal in jail for life is $600,000...the average cost of executing someone is in the millions.

And housing thousand more criminals? Where do you get that? Since 1976, the year the death penalty was reinstated, we've executed 956 people...not even a thousand (though still an astronomical number).

The cost to keep all of those prisoners in jail for life would be $573,600,000 compare that to the $690,000,000 that Texas alone has spent on it's 300 current capitol cases.

So obviously it would be cheaper to keep these prisoners in jail.

And the death penalty doesn't even deter crime in the states that have it. It's been proven that states without the death penalty have an average of a 44% less homicide rate.

And I'm not saying they should get a lot of amenities. It does seem that prisons are getting to be less and less like a punishment...in some cases.

But, what I am saying is that it would be cheaper for us to get rid of the death penalty, and use the money we'd be saving to beef up security.

Jamison said:
Since 1976, the year the death penalty was reinstated,
[post="1306442"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Reinstated at the time the rest of the CIVILISED world was waking up to themselves and getting rid of it..

The death penalty is barbaric, and I don't get how anybody can justify it.

I guess it's just a case of blindly following the people in power no matter how ill-qualifed they are. What can you do?!

If you're gonna appeal to the emotional part of someone, then how would you feel if someone you love was murdered by an escaped murderer.

Are you Michael Howard? Cos that in the "how would you feel if an man on early release attacked your daughter?

Well you be angry upset hurt, but you avoided the question which would be worse your innocent brother being executed for a crime he didn't commit or someone murdered by an escaped prisoner.

The second would be a tradgy but surely the first ones worst?

Jamison said:
The average cost of keeping a criminal in jail for life is $600,000...the average cost of executing someone is in the millions.
And housing thousand more criminals?  Where do you get that?  Since 1976, the year the death penalty was reinstated, we've executed 956 people...not even a thousand (though still an astronomical number).

The cost to keep all of those prisoners in jail for life would be $573,600,000 compare that to the $690,000,000 that Texas alone has spent on it's 300 current capitol cases.

So obviously it would be cheaper to keep these prisoners in jail.

And the death penalty doesn't even deter crime in the states that have it.  It's been proven that states without the death penalty have an average of a 44% less homicide rate.

And I'm not saying they should get a lot of amenities.  It does seem that prisons are getting to be less and less like a punishment...in some cases.

But, what I am saying is that it would be cheaper for us to get rid of the death penalty, and use the money we'd be saving to beef up security.
[post="1306442"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
this may sound callous, but this is the only reason i lean towards being against the death penalty. it may make me a horrible person, but i don't sleep any worse at night knowing that a serial rapist or murderer is no longer in the world. quite honestly, i've got other things to worry about. however, if it costs innocent taxpayers more, when we should be spending the money on healthcare and education, then we should definitely get rid of the death penalty.

i think that for someone to be put on death row, there should be at least 2 witnesses testifying that they did it. one witness could be their DNA, fingerprints, etc.

i also think that it a person should have to have commited a crime several times. coz if it's a one time killing, the person might never do it again. but someone who has done mass murder, serial killing, serial rape, etc. they probably won't change.

and it might not be cheaper then keeping them in jail. but think about this. there have been many cases where someone commited a terrible crime and they got out sooner then someone who did a lesser crime. all because they had a better lawyer or a better deal, coz they turned their partner in.

Back