The Derevko Journals

Tuesday – April 30, 1974

V called me at the University. He has new orders for me. I called Jack and asked when he’d be home for dinner. He told me to go ahead and eat…that he had to work late. That was a relief.

I have another assignment. I was going to London for a conference and to do some more research, boning up for my orals. I leave tomorrow for three days. Now I have an extra duty to do. I hope it’s in the city. I want to get it over with fast.

I’m taking my completed journals with me so they can be passed on to K via our mutual courier.

Thursday – May 2, 1974

The execution went off without a hitch. I was told to go to a restaurant in Soho. The female agent in question would be there sometime around eight. It was arranged for a waiter, one of our men, to accidentally spill soup on her. She would come to the restroom to clean up. I was to be in it, waiting behind the door.

She entered the restroom muttering to her self about clumsy waiters. I shot her twice. She fell to the floor. I picked her up and put her in one of the stalls, propping her up against the side. She’d stay there until someone came looking. Meanwhile, I left by the rear door and returned to my room at the Claibourne Hotel where the convention was being held. It didn’t take but two hours to complete the job.

I called Jack at his office to tell him I loved him and I do. I find that I miss him more than they would like to know when we’re apart. He is the kindest man I’ve ever known and he respects my intelligence. He told me that he knew I was smarter than he. He said he knew it when I’m getting my doctorate at such a young age. I almost cried.

SYDNEY AND VAUGHN

Sydney was stunned. Her mother was so cold writing about the assassination of the CIA agent. Then in the next sentence writing about how much she loved her husband and how she missed him. She told Vaughn about it.

“Sydney, your mother was not my favorite person and will never be. She was an assassin, trained to kill. That doesn’t mean that there wasn’t room in her heart to love your father. How old is she in this journal?”

“Twenty-three!”

“Yeah, well, suppose she thought she was just doing her job. She didn’t know these agents or their families. They were the enemy and so she killed them.”

“Just doing her job!” Sydney said her eyes closed. “Yeah, that’s what Dad said to me several times. I was doing my job.” She glanced back down at the journal. “I don’t think he ever thought that way about Mom though.

Friday – May 11, 1974

I had my orals today. What a bitch that was—sitting in front of three professors answering questions pertaining to my dissertation. They wanted proof that I was right in my assumptions. I thought I was perfect though. I won’t know for a month. At least I think that’s how long. Still Jack said we’re going to be moving at the end of June since he has to report on the 1st of July.

When Jack got home, he wanted to know everything that happened and I filled him in with details that backed up my feelings I’d given all the right answers.

He also told me in passing that MaryAnn Beck, an agent he knew had been killed in London on Thursday the 2nd. The CIA was holding a memorial service tomorrow and asked if I wanted to come. I asked if I knew her and he shook his head. I said I would go. I didn’t know her. After the experience with Philip Krasner’s funeral, I’m not so sure I like to go to memorials when I know the agent or his family, especially when I was involved.

Thursday – May 24, 1974

Professor Olson told me, off the cuff, he said, that I passed my orals. Memorial Day is Monday and I would be notified the following Friday. However, unofficially, he wanted me to know now. I kissed him on both cheeks. He blushed and held my hands in a congratulatory style.

“I have other news, Laura, from my friend at UCLA. They have an opening on the English Literature staff for an Associate Professor. The teacher you’re going to replace has died suddenly. It was an auto accident, I believe. Anyway they will interview you on Friday June 24th. Can you be there?”

“Of course! Jack and I are moving on the 20th if all goes as planned.”

“Very well. I’ll tell my friend to set the interview up with Professor Orville Little who is head of the department there. I have every confidence that you will be the new Associate Professor. However, say nothing until I can confirm it. I don’t want to have to say he said no.”

Friday – May 31, 1974

The faculty threw me a party. Professor Olson called me to the faculty room and when I entered almost the entire faculty were there and Jack! He’d left work at Professor Olson’s insistence to be present when I was told the good news. Everyone was both excited and happy for me. It was a feather in the school’s cap that one of their youngest graduate student teachers had received her doctorate. I was proud too! Why shouldn’t I? I did it here in the United States on my own. No help from them.

We were enjoying cake and coffee when Professor Olson announced that I’d been offered a teaching position at one of the largest universities in the US, at UCLA. Of course, most were thrilled by that also. I knew not everyone was pleased. It was a prestigious offer from that university. I know some thought they deserved that chance also.

Thursday – June 20, 1974

We finished our packing yesterday and the moving van picked everything up late afternoon. We spent the night in a motel near the airport. We flew out at 10 a.m. and landed in Los Angeles a little after 1 p.m. their time. It was warm, bright blue skies and with a light breeze. LAX is located near the beach and those breezes keep the smog at bay for landings and take offs.

Jack called a taxi and we went at once to the real estate office he was dealing with. He said he’d found several places that we could look at. I reminded him I had to be interviewed for the job next Monday.

“Don’t worry, sweetheart, this will take only a few minutes. Are you up to it after the flight?”

“Silly man,” I smiled. “Let’s go!”

We met the real estate agent who immediately began going to the homes Jack checked out. The third one was the best…a two-story one. It was affordable too if I got my job. Jack said not to worry because it took time to buy a house. We had to make an offer. Our agent gave us an idea that it would take until next week before the owners made a counter offer if any.

It was a three bedroom home. Jack wanted to turn one of the bedrooms into an office for us both. There was a master bedroom which was larger and another which was next to it. The office-to-be was across the hall from it. There were two bathrooms upstairs and a half bath close to the dining room. There was also large living room, kitchen and a family room.

So we made the bid, signed papers, and then left to go to the motel we were staying at while the negotiations were being made. I asked Jack about our belongings that were on their way out from Arlington. He said he’d made arrangements for them to be stored if we hadn’t bought a place.

Monday – June 24, 1974

I was interviewed today at UCLA. I was amazed at the size of the campus. It certainly was bigger than any I had seen. When I found my way to Professor Little’s office I was five minutes late. I told his secretary I had found it confusing and the taxi driver didn’t know where to let me off. I had him leave me at Royce Hall and then one of the students kindly told me where the office was. Luckily it was close by.

The interview went well. I was careful to wear a suit with skirt and not pants. I wore a white blouse and my only jewelry was my wedding ring, watch and earrings that Jack gave me. I needed to make a good impression although I knew my credentials certainly covered that.

I was hired as an Associate Professor, teaching English Literature 101, 102 and English Poetry 101, 102…basic literature and poetry. I’m sure that they will give me more advanced classes after my first year. I’m extremely good at what I do—in every aspect of my life. I will start in late August when the classes begin for the new term.

“Would you be willing to take on a few classes as a substitute during the summer?” He asked.

“Well…” I thought about our new commitment to making payments on a house, “I think I could, but—and I’m not being crass—but my husband and I are buying a home and I need to know how much I would be paid and how meaning weekly…monthly?”

“If you are available we’ll pay you by the week until you take over your regular classes and then it will be paid monthly.”

I was relieved. “Very well, I’ll do it.”

“Good. Ask Mrs. Mitchell, my secretary, for the papers you need to fill out. Complete and bring them back Monday. And welcome to UCLA.”

So I had a full time job and maybe substitute work during the next six, seven weeks depending on the need for a substitute teacher.

Tuesday – June 25, 1974

We got the house! Jack was ecstatic. They took our offer. They are going to move out Wednesday! The man has a job waiting for him in San Jose. He’s a computer expert of some kind. Anyway they were waiting to sell the house in order to leave. The movers are coming tomorrow to take their stuff. On Thursday the owners have arranged for the home to be cleaned inside and out, so we can move in on Friday.

Jack checked our mover’s office to find out where our things were and they will be bringing them here Friday! I am impressed by the way things move here. It certainly was different in my home town.

We’re going shopping too! We need a new bedroom set as we sold the old one to friends of Jack’s at the CIA. We need a few pieces for the office, but that, he said, we can buy later. But for now the bedroom set is the most important! I agree. We haven’t made love for over a week. Living in a motel is not the easiest. One can hear everything that goes on in the next room and I’m not into giving our neighbors pleasure.

Saturday – June 29, 1974

We’re working hard for two days. The movers brought our belongings on Friday and we’ve been busy putting things away. We bought our bedroom set. It’s gorgeous. We have a king-size bed, two dressers, one for each of us and two night stands for each side of the bed. It was delivered this morning.

We took an hour off to christen it! We only had a double bed in Arlington. In fact I never saw a king-size bed before this one. Jack locked our doors; then carried me upstairs where we made love twice.

“Laura,” he said, “I love you so much I cannot think of words to equate it to!”

“I love you too,” I said. “You are the best husband in the world.”

He grinned at me, “…and just how many husbands have you had, darling?”

“Just you, but I cannot imagine any man as good as you are.” I stared up into his face and brought his head and lips gently down to meet mine. That kiss was one of our best.

I fixed dinner tonight—the first one in our new home. It was simple: steak, baked potato, green beans, coffee, and dessert—apple pie. Of course, Jack barbequed the steaks and the pie was store-bought, but I think it was the best meal ever. We were home-owners! I never had a real home with so many rooms! I wish K could be here to see it. V will be jealous when I tell him.

Monday - July 1, 1974

Jack went to work. I’m supposed to clean things up and see to it that the phone is installed. The phone company promised to be there promptly at 9 a.m. I know if they show up it will be because of the CIA order. They were here on time and when they left I called Jack with out new number. I told him I was going out shopping, but would be home after lunch sometime.

When I got to the market, I used the pay phone to call V and give him our new number. He wants to meet me at noon and gave me the name of a motel in Westwood where he would give me new orders.

I told him about the house. He laughed when I told him how fast we bought it. Then he told me they had been the owners’ angels. They actually gave the owners an extra $10,000 in cash to sell it to us at our bid. I laughed with him realizing my life was still under their control. V said he had gotten a job as a clerk with the FBI office. The guy certainly has balls.

I met V at an old motel south of Wilshire and east of Sepulveda. He told me that I had another assignment coming up in a couple of months. They were waiting to confirm the target would be at the place they suspected he was being assigned. I told him that they’d better figure a way for me to leave school and my husband without garnering any suspicion. V promised they would come up with some idea. However, they needed this particular agent gone and they would not accept any excuses when the time came.

“Where is he/she supposed to be?”

“Mexico City.”

“At least it’s close to the same time zone as here in the U.S.” I knew there might be some trouble getting away, but orders were orders. I might get lucky, especially if Jack was on an assignment and out of town. School was something I could manage with an acceptable excuse, but Jack was different.

I left V with a time for our next meeting. It would be on a day that I had to teach and would not cause Jack to ask questions.

Saturday – August 3, 1974

I start my regular classes on Monday. To celebrate, Jack took me out to dinner and dancing. I took a few classes over the summer to make dancing more palatable to him and it was a surprise. I did confess what I had done. He swept me into his arms after we entered the house, carried me upstairs, and made mad passionate love to me twice.

I am the luckiest woman in the world. Some of the female teachers talk about their sex life and complain a lot that their husbands are missing the mark as Valerie said. She teaches English Comp. I, however, decided not to brag about Jack. I want none of them to set their sights on seducing him. He’s mine.

Monday – October 15, 1974

I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I feel nauseous every morning. Food doesn’t appeal to me and I’ve vomited three or four times. I haven’t told Jack. He would send me to one of the CIA doctors and that’s out of the question. I haven’t told V either because every day I think it will go away. I might have the stomach flu. However I’d better get over it. V wants to meet me tomorrow after school regarding the assignment.

Tuesday – October 16, 1974

I saw V this afternoon. He gave me the assignment for Mexico City. It will be a sniper shot. I reminded him to have my clothes and rifle available.

“As always,” he said. “Another thing…don’t worry about your husband. He will be away on another assignment.”

“How do you know?”

“I know. It’s been arranged.”

“There’s a high-placed mole in Langley?”

“It’s not for me to say,” he said.

“Humph!” I grunted and left with a slip of paper with the hotel room number where Solis would be staying. I tore it into pieces and discarded it two different trash cans.

I’d barely started dinner after coming home when Jack called to tell me he would be leaving town tonight for the Far East on another assignment. I thanked him for calling and did he want me to pack his suitcase.

“Of course, darling, I’d appreciate it,” he said. He told me what clothes to pack.

“It will be ready for you,” I said, knowing that I could complete my assignment well before he returned.

Saturday - October 19, 1974

I flew out of LAX at midnight for Mexico City. I was ticketed in advance so there was no trouble. I landed in the early morning. I got through customs and took at taxi to the hotel across the street from the one Solis was staying at. After checking in I took another taxi to the post office where I picked up a letter sent to a certain box. The letter instructed me where to pick up my equipment and clothes.

I barely got out of the post office before I felt nauseated again. What was wrong with me? Anyway I did get back to my room with everything including what was left in my stomach. I was told Solis was on the top floor six windows to the left at the hotel across the street. I checked out the room using the scope I would attach to my rifle. The two windows were clearly visible and I would be able to make the shot as it was about two hundred yards across from my hotel. I put the scope in my purse and went up to the roof and carefully checked out the target’s room. It was a straight shot. It would have to be from here tonight.

I found a place where I could wait. I just had to be sure it would be secluded. The air conditioning shaft afforded some shade daytimes, but it would be cold tonight. Mexico City is at 8000 feet. I will take the target out when it is dark leaving my equipment behind. This afternoon I will return wearing a fake service person uniform, probably air conditioning. I will take the freight elevator to the top floor then the stairs to the roof.

Later on board LA flight.
It wasn’t the most comfortable wait. It does get dark early in the city because of the altitude. Good thing I wore thermal underclothes otherwise I would have frozen my butt off. It was almost eleven when the target entered his room with a woman! felgercarb! I had to take him out, but what about her? Then she disappeared into the bathroom. To get herself ready, no doubt. Ha! What a surprise she’ll get. I screwed the sight and left off the silencer since I didn’t expect anyone to hear the shots. By the time the police arrived, no one would remember hearing them.

The light was good in his room. He was undressing. He’d just bent down to drop his jockey shorts. As he stood up, I fired. The first bullet hit him in the head and the second tore into his body as he was falling. He was dead when he hit the floor. I moved quickly. The gun was left as is. They would be by to clean up the site, leaving no trace.

I took the elevator down to the basement and hurried out to my truck. No one saw me or if they did, they thought nothing about it. The agent behind the wheel drove off as soon as I entered the rear of the truck. He was driving me to Benito Juarez International while I changed clothes. He would return with more men to sweep the kill site clean and remove my rifle.

With any luck I’ll be home by midnight and in bed.

Thursday – October 24, 1974

I’m pregnant! How the hell…? I went to the doctor at UCLA’s faculty clinic on my lunch hour and after describing my symptoms, the doctor gave me a kit. Told me to pee on the stick. It turned blue. felgercarb…felgercarb…now what? Jack is due home tonight. He called me last night to tell me. Do I tell him? Or do I wait? I’m going to wait. I have to tell V, but not until I tell Jack…unless maybe I don’t.

I’m considering an abortion.

Monday – October 28, 1974

I went to the doctor’s office today. I’d made an appointment. I was going to ask for an abortion. I had a story made up. I got to the door and was about to enter, when something made me stop. It was a weird sensation as though a voice whispered in my ear that doing it was unacceptable. I broke out into a sweat and leaned against the wall. Then I decided not to go through with it. I would have the baby, no matter what they said. I’m going to tell Jack.

Tuesday – October 29, 1974

What a shock! I told Jack last night when we were in bed. He nearly jumped straight up.

“A baby? We’re going to have a baby?” When I nodded, he grabbed me, hugging and kissing me from head to foot and paying a great deal of attention to my stomach. “Put your robe on, sweetheart. We have some planning to do.”

“No, no, I have to have a good night’s sleep. What are you thinking?”

“We have to look at our extra room as the baby’s nursery. We should figure our finances out too.”

“Jack darling, the baby won’t be here for at least six or seven months or so. The doctor says I’m two months along now. There is plenty of time for that!” I was laughing too. He was so pleased with himself. Men are so funny. As if a woman wasn’t a more than equal partner in the project! “Don’t forget to buy a box of cigars. Put that on your list of things to do.” I turned over and drifted off to sleep.

SYDNEY AND VAUGHN

“So that’s what happened,” said Sydney. She was reading the journal in bed. She, Vaughn and Isabelle were in her mother’s apartment in Florence. Katya had called the caretaker to tell him to get it ready for Irina’s daughter.

When they arrived, they found the caretaker and his wife, Maria, who was the housekeeper and cook. Both of them extended their sympathy to Sydney on the death of Irina. They both cooed when they saw Isabelle. It didn’t take Sydney long to discover that Irina Derevko was a good employer. She had paid them even after she was dead. Syd knew Katya probably continued the checks. Syd decided that they could stay on even when she went back to L.A.

“What happened,” asked Vaughn looking up from his book?

“Mom told me in Vancouver that she considered having an abortion, but then decided against it. She wrote in the journal that “It was a weird sensation as though a voice whispered in my ear that doing it was unacceptable.”

Vaughn laughed. “Yeah, the voice of Rambaldi…No, it was you! You exerted your will on your mother from the womb.”

Now Sydney laughed, “Yeah…sure. It sounds more reasonable, but still crazier that it was the voice of Milo Rambaldi.”

“We’ll never know, will we?” Vaughn leaned over and kissed her. “Wicked womb witch.”

Thursday – October 31, 1974

V called and said he wanted to see me. It did not go well. At first I thought it was about the job I did in Mexico City. However, it turned out he wanted to know why I was gaining weight, but really wanted to ask if I was pregnant.

“You were warned about that!” He said.

“I’ve taken my birth control pill every day.” I snarled. “I don’t want to be pregnant. It interferes with my work.” I thought I’d get my two cents in before he did. “You think I did it on purpose?”

“Get an abortion. They’ll want you to do it immediately.”

“NO!” I said angrily. “Having his child will tie him closer to me and make him less suspicious. I can stay longer.”

“Get an abortion,” he said again and with a coldness that increased my anger.

I moved into his space to almost six inches in front of his face. “Idiot! Tell them it’s for their benefit if I have the child. Tell them his work on Project Christmas is only two-thirds done. He’s been on other operations. And, by the way, remind them not to send me where he might be if he’s away.”

“How the hell would we know that?” He answered trying to back away from me. “He was in Europe and then in the Far East…”

I moved again toward him. I knew if I could get his attention off my pregnancy and on something else I would win the argument. After all, I was here. They were home and far away. “Don’t argue. I will tell you when he goes on an assignment. Your mole at Langley surely can find out where he’s being sent. If it’s anywhere near where I’m supposed to be that means I don’t go.”

“You can’t…”

“Shut up! Whose head will roll if I’m caught because my husband sees me or someone who works closely with him spots me? It won’t be yours! Just be sure that the next job I do is not going to be compromised!” I slammed out of the room, ran to my car, and tore out of the parking lot. Glancing in the rear view mirror, I didn’t see him come out of the room. I laughed! V was a fool and so were they if they couldn’t see the value of my being pregnant and having a child.

Monday – November 11, 1974

I think I’m over being nauseous. It’s been over a week since I spoke with V and I’ve heard nothing. I’m sure he’s up to his neck with communiqués from them. That confrontation must have scared my stomach well. The doctor told me Friday that, although not the norm, it wasn’t unusual to be nauseated this long. I told him it was a good thing it did stop. At least I could eat again without worrying about what I was eating and if it would end up in the toilet.

Jack and I are on a short holiday. He took me up to Monterey for a quiet long weekend. It was cold and windy and foggy in the morning. We took long walks along the bay which is very beautiful. We drove to Carmel for breakfast and then drove down the coast on Highway 1. That almost made me nauseated. The road winds around the coastline almost hugging it. However, it was beautiful.

Jack bought some sandwiches and wine. We picnicked at the edge of a cliff God only knows where, but it was a beautiful day. It kicked! Jack was lying with his head on my stomach when he jumped, looking white as a ghost.

“What?” I said.

“Didn’t you feel it?”

“You mean the baby?”

He came back and sat beside me, pressing his hand over the place where he’d been lying. “This was the spot.”

“It’s been kicking for a day or so.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

I leaned forward slightly and kissed him. “I wanted it to be a surprise.”

Wednesday – December 25, 1974

It’s Christmas, but it certainly doesn’t seem like it. It’s considerably warmer than I am used to. Even Jack remarked on it today. We decided not to buy each other a present. We are going to use the money we would spend on furniture for the nursery. Bed, crib, rocking chair and combination dresser and the top is the right height to use to change the baby too.

That’s what we did and today, Christmas, we painted, rather Jack painted the room a pale yellow. Tomorrow we will set up the furniture.

Boy or girl…he/she is kicking a lot now and I still have three or four more months to go.

TBC :eek:

How could she refuse? Jack asked her. Her reply? "Sorry, but I shot him??" :lol: :lol:

:cool:

yeah, sounds just great:smiley: :angelic:
*Дорогой, я разбила твою машину :rolleyes: :blink: *

“Of course, darling, I’d appreciate it,” he said. He told me what clothes to pack.

“It will be ready for you,” I said, knowing that I could complete my assignment well before he returned.

Sounds so sweet, and yet, feels like she has difficult life :asleep:

Sounds so sweet, and yet, feels like she has difficult life
Irina is a very smart young woman and she's going to get even more intelligent, and more deadly as the story goes on. She has learned to compartmentalize her 2 lives: one as an assassin and the other, as a spy married to a man she's beginning to love.

Little Sydney kicking Jack's head!!! I can see that
Babies really don't care whose lying on mama's stomach. They just want her to know they are getting ready to come out!

I wonder who was the man she killed?
Not Bill Vaughn.

Wait a minute, in Maternal Instinct irina told syd that the KGB demanded that she have a baby so it would seal Jack's allegiance to her. So why did you change that? Great update.

Irina is a very smart young woman and she's going to get even more intelligent, and more deadly as the story goes on. She has learned to compartmentalize her 2 lives: one as an assassin and the other, as a spy married to a man she's beginning to love.

Not Bill Vaughn.

Well, that scares me :blink:
Bill was killed in KAshmir, right? And that was loooong after :woot: :redhair:

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I'm posting this on Mother's Day because this part covers the birth of SYdney in 1975. Enjoy.

Irina is 24

Friday – February 28, 1975

V called me at work and demanded I meet him at the motel. I was preparing an essay test for my Eng. Lit. 101 and 102 classes and planned to work late since Jack who was on some assignment out of the country wouldn’t be back until Sunday or Monday.

I went and was shocked when he told me I had another assignment.

“Are they crazy? Look at me…I’m in no condition to be on a plane or climbing up and down stairs…or running!”

“You won’t have to do nothing. The job is here in Los Angeles!”

“What?” Now I was stupefied. Who were the idiots planning this. Then I thought maybe I was being set up. Maybe they wanted me to be caught! Could it be I pushed them too far? “You mean here in the city?”

“Yes. You can do it without breaking into a sweat. The plans are made and all you will have to do is pull the trigger.”

“Where in L.A.?”

“Dorothy Chandler Pavilion!”

My eyes widened. “Why can’t someone else do it? It’s a relatively small venue compared to the others.”

“Tricky shot, I guess,” he said. He handed me some papers. “It’s outlined there.”

“Who is it?”

“Milton Farley.”

I frowned because the name was not familiar. I was afraid they were going to have me kill one of Jack’s friends or someone I’d met. “When does this take place?”

“Tomorrow night at the Philharmonic concert and he has a seat in the center of Row F.” He laughed. “They’re playing the 1812 Overture and you’ll do it during the rather noisy ending. It should be a piece of cake. It cannot be a head shot. They don’t want any attention to the shooting, at least not at once. ”

That meant I’d be using a silencer. I opened the envelope to check on the plans. Inside I also found a ticket that would put me next to him. felgercarb! If anyone suspected or heard the shot that would be end of my career…and marriage.

“I want a .22 revolver with silencer.” I said. “And this will be my last job until the baby is here and at least a year old. I can provide information, but the other will have to wait OR they get someone else to do it.”

“You can’t…”

“Oh yes, I can.” I snapped. “Can this ticket be traced to me?”

“No!”

“Good. I wouldn’t want to be questioned by the police.”

“You’re very pregnant. They won’t suspect you.”

Saturday – March 1, 1975

The target was acquired.

I had no problems entering the Pavilion and taking my seat. He was in his seat already with his wife. Damn…a woman might be more observant of another. I decided that at the intermission I would simply go out the way I entered. They might go the other way and we wouldn’t interact.

I re-entered just as they were closing the doors and sat down unobserved just as the orchestra was beginning the next piece. They didn’t even pay attention to me. My large purse was resting on my lap. I screwed in the silencer on the .22 revolver. No one was paying any attention as the second half of the concert was winding down to the finale, the 1812 Overture.

Suddenly the baby began kicking. I don’t know if it was because the music was louder than usual, but I knew I had to take the shot because he/she was not happy with the noise. I put my purse on top of my stomach and held the revolver inside moving it as close as I could. I was on his left and there was less skin, tissue and muscle from this side. The bullet should do the job swiftly and surely. I pulled the trigger at the crescendo. Everyone stood and cheered. I took the opportunity to leave.

I was through the door and down the steps leading to the underground parking lot below. I heard no commotion or shouts. There might be something in the paper tomorrow.

I was not happy with this assignment. I meant what I said; I will not take another job until the baby is born.

Monday – April 14, 1975

Jack has to go on assignment. I look as big as a house. The doctor told him he thought the baby would be two weeks away. Most babies he said come one to two weeks late, especially the first one.

At this point I thought while listening to him, there is not going to be a second!

So Jack felt safe to go. Arvin was with him which meant there probably would not be any delays. He didn’t like leaving Emily too long. Emily called me after they left and we made plans to go out for lunch. She would drive. I certainly couldn’t as my stomach got in the way of steering wheel.

Tuesday – April 15, 1975

What a night! I was up constantly going to the bathroom to pee. The doctor warned me that it was part of being pregnant. It would continue right up until the time the baby came. I also was uncomfortable lying down. Finally, I decided to sleep in Jack’s easy chair and slept a little.

I’m on leave from UCLA. Valerie called to ask how I was doing. I told her everything was fine and that I was going out to lunch Wednesday with Emily. She asked when the baby might come. I told her what the doctor told us.

“Two weeks? My God Laura, didn’t you know that the baby might come earlier?”

“Earlier?” I felt a slight shudder. “He didn’t say anything about that.”

“First born can be born either late or early! My George was two weeks early.”

I was immediately concerned. “Jack isn’t home. He left for a week. The doctor told him…”

“Oh it will probably be OK, but I’d be sure to have your hospital bag packed and sitting by the door just in case.”

I hung up and stared at my stomach. “You’d better be good, little one, or your Mommy’s going to be upset. Your Daddy isn’t home. Hold off any thoughts about coming early.” Just then he/she gave me a hefty jab with his/her fist. On second thought, maybe I wouldn’t care if it came early. Dumb, Laura, I thought. You want Jack to be there.

Wednesday – April 16, 1975

I had lunch with Emily at noon. We had hamburgers, milk shakes and she had fries at a local coffee shop not to far from home. She was concerned that I might be assuming doctors knew everything. It was a nice day and I didn’t have a worry in the world. The kid punched me a couple times, but once I’d eaten he/she quieted down.

Emily brought me home about two in the afternoon. I promptly flopped into Jack’s chair to take a nap.

Sunday – April 20, 1975

She’s here, my darling baby girl, Sydney Anne. She’s so beautiful. The nurses thought she was gorgeous too.

Wednesday night Sydney decided that it was time to erupt from her Mommy’s womb. She was kicking the hell out of it and then the contractions started and in less than three hours, I was having one every 5 minutes. I called the doctor who was surprised. Idiot man! He told me to get to the hospital and he’d meet me at Emergency. I called a taxi and it came within five minutes. The driver was surprised, but I told him to get to the hospital and he’d have a twenty dollar tip if he did so in fifteen minutes.

When we arrived, Dr. Johnson was there as he’d promised. He knew Jack was gone (I told him when I called) and had a wheelchair and orderly ready to whip me up to obstetrics, which was on the second floor. They wheeled me into what looked like a birthing room. There was a nurse there ready to help me.

The doctor checked me for the amount of dilation I was having. He put his stethoscope on my very pregnant belly and darling Sydney Anne hit it with such force, I screamed, the doctor jumped back, almost knocking the nurse down.

“That’s some kid in there. She or he wants out, so let’s see if we can accommodate him or her.” The doctor had the nurse help me off with my clothes and I put on their birthing gown.

“Is your husband on the way,” the nurse asked.

I shook my head. “No, he’s in the Far East on a job. The doctor told him the baby wouldn’t come for another two weeks.”

The nurse rolled her eyes. “Oh my God, men!” She didn’t go into details as he came back into the room.

“Do you want anesthetic? We can do a spinal block.”

I shook my head. “No!”

“Very well. Have you done La Maze?”

I nodded. Too make it short, my contractions were coming shorter and shorter until sometime after midnight, Sydney Anne Bristow arrived, arms waving and crying at the top of her voice. The nurse wrapped her in a blanket after the doctor checked her over and put her into my arms.

Jack and I chose her first name because he had planned to take me to Sydney, Australia for a vacation later this year. We had a couple of terrible fights about the name of the baby. He then suggested Sydney and I immediately agreed. It would be a name for either a girl or a boy. I asked that if it were a girl that her middle name be Anne. Jack said that it sounded great. Then if it were a boy, he wanted the middle name to be Charles after his father. I agreed.

So Sydney Anne Bristow was born on April 17th at 2:14 a.m.

I’ve been in the hospital four days and I’m going home tomorrow. Jack called me and when he didn’t find me at home, he called Emily who told him he was a father and that he’d better get back home immediately. So he’s on his way and will be here tomorrow to take Sydney Anne and me home.

Monday – April 21, 1975

Jack arrived at 7:00 a.m. and came rushing into the room while I was nursing Sydney. His look of astonishment made me giggle. Didn’t the man have a clue? I guess not even when my breasts were about double in size from the milk being generated. Sydney’s dark eyes sparkled when she looked up into his face. It was as if she knew he was her Daddy. However, she didn’t want him to pick her up…she was too busy eating.

Mama never told me much about having babies or what to do with them. She was worried that I’d get pregnant and always warned me about what not to do (Flirt) and what to do if a boy got too frisky. So now Jack and I have to figure things out for ourselves.

He brought me home about eleven and put me to bed. He took his daughter who I could see was interested in this man she had not seen prior to this morning. He put Sydney into the small bassinette which she would use before growing large enough to use her crib.

Jack had installed an intercom, but I wanted Sydney in with us to start with. It certainly would be better for me when she wanted feeding than to struggle out of bed. Of course, breast feeding had not been thought about when I got pregnant. Emily brought it up. I think I responded with an open-mouthed ‘what?’ She explained and told me there were books I could find that would help.

Wednesday – April 23, 1975

V came today! I was shocked to see him. However he was wearing a uniform that said Acme Diaper Service. Smart of him.

He wanted to know if I’d found out anything. I handed him a written report of what I’d found in Jack’s briefcase last night.

“Can I see the baby?” He said.

“Why?”

“Why not?”

“I don’t trust you.”

He grinned. “No, Laura, I won’t hurt the baby. I thought it out and you’re right. The baby will tie you closer to your husband and…” he said, “…you can use the baby as an excuse to meet me. There’s a park about two blocks from here.”

I’d forgotten about the park. Good idea. I hated meeting in the motel. “Fine. Come sit down. I’ll bring her down.”

V thought the baby was beautiful and said he’ be back once a week with diapers. I thought he was wonderful.

Sunday – May 11, 1975

It’s Mother’s Day here in America. Sydney is growing fast. She’s put on at least a pound and eating about every two hours! Jack brought me a bouquet of roses and a box of See’s Candy. I thought it was sweet of him. He ordered dinner from our favorite Chinese place and had it delivered. He said that on Mother’s Day, no mother should have to cook.

Monday, May 19, 1975

I went to the doctor today with Sydney Anne. She was the picture of health. Very active and her eyes went everywhere as though she was aware of everything that went on around her. She gained over a pound which the doctor thought was fine for a 1 month old child. I asked him too about sex with my husband. I was given the go ahead.

We made love a bit gingerly. Nothing too wild though because I think both of us were being cautious. We put Sydney in her bassinette in the nursery. She would no doubt wake up in a couple of hours wanting to be fed. I was back on the pill also and had been since she was born. No more children! I’m sure Jack has it in his mind to have more, but no way. Having a child while working as a spy is a bit dicey. It’s going to take some serious planning in order to keep the two…family and spying…separated.

Friday -October 17, 1975

Sydney Anne is six months old. She is growing faster than either of us can keep up with. Her pediatrician says she’s going to be tall. Jack swears she’s going to look like me.

“I certainly don’t want her to have my ears.” He said.

I laughed and nodded.

She’s crawling too, so we had to child proof the house top to bottom. We have gates at the top and bottom of the stairs. All the cupboards she can reach have new child proof latches, both upstairs and down.

I’m teaching again, so with the University’s permission, I bring her to school with me. I am well organized so that I nurse her between classes. I don’t stay after school, but hurry home so she can have some exercise before Jack gets home. I chat with her. Both Jack and I decided no baby talk under any circumstances. All of our friends have been warned.

Tuesday – 0ctober 21, 1975

Sydney said “Da, da,” tonight and I think Jack went crazy with delight and excitement. She was in her stroller when he came home. She looked up at him and reached for him saying those two words.

Jack is usually a serious young man and he blew that assessment all to smithereens. He literally jumped up and down he was so excited. It scared Sydney who immediately started to cry. It took me a few minutes to calm her down. I put her into his arms while I finished making dinner. He was bursting with pride. Men! I expect her to start ‘mommy’ soon too.

Monday – November 24, 1975

It’s our Anniversary! Arvin and Emily are taking care of Sydney while Jack and I go out to dinner and dancing. We both had to work today and to complicate matters V called and wanted to see me.

When I got to the park, I found him at our usual park bench. I wanted to know what was up. He told me that the last report I got from Jack’s briefcase was off.

“Do you think he suspects you?” He asked.

“What in the report was off?”

“The codes were ciphered with an old encryption. We know CIA has instituted a new code.”

“Maybe he hasn’t gotten the new one yet?”

“No, all the offices were sent the new one.”

I was exasperated. “If our mole at Langley has access, have him get them.”

“He’s not there anymore.” He said.

I looked at him while hugging Sydney in my arms. “What happened?”

“There was suspicion running in their office that someone was leaking material; so he had a heart attack and died.”

“Really?” I put Sydney down into her stroller. “Did they buy it?”

“We think so.”

“Don’t use the code. It could be a trap set for wives, husbands or even people who are in the administrative division.”

:”Be careful, Laura, or we may have to extract you.”

“I will. Don’t worry.” I stood up and pushed Sydney back along the path to the entrance. “Be careful yourself.”

I didn’t have much time left before Jack came home. V must take into account that I am not living single.

Wednesday – December 24, 1975

It’s the night before Christmas and Jack is not home yet! Damn! Its Sydney’s first Christmas and there are a couple of items that need putting together. We put up the tree last night and she was so excited with the lights on the tree, the decorations, everything. I even strung popcorn and used it as garland. Jack had not seen that before, but I told him my family had done it.

When I’d finished he took me in his arms and kissed me. “I love you Laura Caine with an e Bristow.” I was surprised a little. He tells me often how much he loves me. However, he’d not said it that way for a long time. I looked into his eyes and saw desire. My heart beat faster.

“Ummm, am I going to enjoy the rest of this evening?” There was a look of joy, but why he was so joyful was not clear to me.

“What do you think?” He said. “Let’s put Sydney to bed and…” He left the rest unsaid and picked the child up.

“Maaama…” Sydney was reaching out to me with both arms. Jack stopped and looked me and I’m sure my mouth opened in shock. “Maaama, go par…” Sydney cried. Now I was in shock.

“I’ll be damned,” said Jack who turned and handed me my daughter.

Tears were falling down my face. My heart pumped with so much pride. I held her close, kissing her on both cheeks. “Oh sweet little girl.”

“I think our moment has passed,” said Jack, chuckling. “Let’s put our brilliant child into her crib.”

“Do you mind,” I said between kissing her cheeks.

He laughed. “Of course not…get her ready.” He walked into the office. “I’ll be in here for a while. Take your time.”

I undressed her and diapered her before putting on her little footie pajamas. She stared up at me, laughing as babies do, I guess. I looked into those sparkling eyes thinking how precious she was. ‘Oh dear God, I’m falling in love with my baby.’ She reached out with one fist and grabbed at my hand, bringing the finger to her mouth.

“Dear Sydney Anne,” I said softly, “I think you are my heart. I—I do love you.” I bent down and kissed her. You have made your parents so happy. What a wonderful Christmas you will have. Goodnight darling girl.” I turned on the music box we’d bought for her. She loved the tune and it was only seconds before she was asleep.

I sat down in the rocking chair to ponder my feelings for this child who was of my flesh and blood. Her chatter meant I would not be able to take her to the park with me to meet V. I would have to make other arrangements. We have a smart baby, a very smart baby. She watches us whenever she can when we talk. She’s going to learn very fast.

Jack’s home. We’ve got to get Sydney’s toys ready.

Thursday – December 25, 1975

Its Sydney Anne’s first Christmas. I must say for someone only 8 months old she’s got more presents under the tree than I’ve seen in my lifetime prior to being married. Jack went all out. There were even gifts from the Sloanes and there was even a present from my friend, Valerie.

Jack took pictures of her opening all her presents. Actually it wasn’t opening, more like a rip and tear with paper flying everywhere. Between the two of us Sydney has lots of clothes and enough toys to keep her busy all year.

We went to the Sloanes for Christmas dinner. As usual Arvin was busy talking about this scientist, Milo Rambaldi, and all the things he’s supposed to have created. I think Jack half expects Arvin to leave Emily any minute in order to embrace the hunt for all things Rambaldi. I doubt that, however, one cannot help but be caught up with his excitement. It is catching. If Rambaldi is the super genius that Arvin says he is then I’d like to get in on the ‘ground floor’ and learn everything I can. I wonder what R’s ultimate end game is.

TBC :confused:

I undressed her and diapered her before putting on her little footie pajamas. She stared up at me, laughing as babies do, I guess. I looked into those sparkling eyes thinking how precious she was. ‘Oh dear God, I’m falling in love with my baby.’ She reached out with one fist and grabbed at my hand, bringing the finger to her mouth.

“Dear Sydney Anne,” I said softly, “I think you are my heart. I—I do love you.” I bent down and kissed her. You have made your parents so happy. What a wonderful Christmas you will have. Goodnight darling girl.” I turned on the music box we’d bought for her. She loved the tune and it was only seconds before she was asleep.

I

Soooooooo sweet. Sydney will be overwhelmed reading these..

So, here i am... Sorry, it took me so long to have it read. But, OMG, I liked the new part very much, it's like watching movie, really:smiley:

Then I thought maybe I was being set up.
True, that's how KGB worked (according to some articals that were published recently). You serve your country, and then, oops, they don't need you anymore:smiley: Well, that's how it works there now too (n)
“You’re very pregnant. They won’t suspect you.”
Uh, yeah, like to say in russian *Железный аргумент*!!!
I will not take another job until the baby is born.
Yeah, the 'Irina Derevko' that i know :woot:

Irina is 25

Wednesday – March 17, 1976

It’s St. Patrick’s Day and UCLA is bursting out in green. The students are into the celebration because many were wearing green of some sort—hat, shirt, pants, jacket and there was even a tie or two visible. I had just finished my morning classes when I got a phone call from V wanting to meet me at the park again. I told him I had Sydney with me and I didn’t think it was such a great idea.

“She’s barely a year old.” He grumbled.

“But smart.” I countered. “She told me that she wanted to go to the park just before Christmas! She is learning more and more every day.”

“Look, we won’t talk. I’ll just give you an envelope. They have a job for you.”

“Wait…I said a year.”

“They know, but you don’t have to do anything until May and she’s over a year old. Just read what the job is and I’ll call you tomorrow at work.” He hung up.

I made it to the park with a minute or two to spare. Sydney was asleep so when V came up I had him sit while I read the paper. It was someone in Paris. I looked at him sharply. “Just how do you expect me to get away for this assignment?”

He smiled. “There’s an international conference for English teachers. You should be able to get there—you can go as a representative of your school. They’ll pay your way, won’t they?”

“Not the usual practice unless I’m giving a seminar or speech.”

I handed the paper back to him having memorized it. “I don’t need this. Too risky to take home.”

“Make the arrangements. Give me the hotel you’ll be staying at and they’ll contact you there.” He looked me over. “You know motherhood has made you twice as beautiful as you were before.”

I was surprised. “Uh, thanks, I think.”

He winked at me and was gone, hurrying out of the park before I could argue or say more. Sydney and I followed at a much slower pace and were home in a few minutes. I spent the time between the park and home to plan how to get Jack to agree to let me go. That was going to be the biggest problem, especially since I was still nursing Sydney. I would have to get her weaned between now and the time of the conference.

Thursday – March 19, 1976

Three days before my birthday. I have to get to Paris during the weekend of May 21st. I have until April 19th to get my reservation in. I called from school to see if they were filled up and found that it was not. There were plenty of places still open. I went to see Professor Little after the call to see what he had to say about going to the conference and whether or not I’d get teaching credit. He told me I would, but that the university would not pay my way. I’d be totally responsible. He did say, however, they would get a substitute for me if I wanted to take a few days off before or after. I declined saying I’d need one only for the 2 days before—that is Thursday and Friday. I would fly home on Sunday.

Now I just need Jack to agree to let me go.

Friday – March 20, 1976

Jack said I could go. He thought it a wonderful opportunity for me especially since I’d been tied to home with Sydney. I told him she would be weaned by the time I left. Whether or not we need a baby-sitter would depend on his schedule. I called Paris and made the reservation for the conference and for a room there at the hotel, but they were filled up and recommended the Vernet, 25, rue Vernet. I notified V, who said they would take care of the necessary items I might need and have them ready when I arrived.

“How did you manage to get your husband to agree to go?”

“He thought it would give me a little vacation since I’ve been tied down. He even is giving me some money to spend when I’m there…my birthday present.”

“Why not take a few more days to see the sights?”

“No! I’ll do the job and get home.” I hung up. I didn’t want to tell him I’d miss Jack and the baby.

Friday – May 21, 1976

I left LA late last night and arrived here non-stop early morning. I had to transfer to Air France at JFK. I had no trouble going through customs and picking up a taxi outside the terminal. Still a lot of building going on everywhere. I went to the hotel and was told I’d have to wait until afternoon as my room was not made up yet. The staff allowed me to check my bag.

“Are there any messages?”

“Oui Madame,” the clerk said and looked at my room box where a white envelope was resting. She handed to me.

“Merci,” I said in my lousiest French accent. They never taught me any other language except English.

I went to the hotel’s café and was shown a booth. It was nearly lunch time, so I ordered something simple. I opened the envelope and read the contents. It outlined the area where the target would be tomorrow afternoon. They are very thorough sometimes. I often wonder how they can be so perfect in details like this and lousy other times.

There was just a name—Frank Pilsner—and an address. He lived on a street in Montmarte in an apartment. His name on the mail box was Maurice Javier. This time they told me why. He’d infiltrated a KGB cell and was supplying the CIA and Suerte with information. They also supplied me with some details of his cover, a bookkeeper for a small Citroen car dealership. He was not married and had only occasional prostitute in for sex.

It should be relatively simple to eliminate him. I burned the paper and envelope; then flushed the ashes. I doubted anyone would consider me as the assassin, but I never took any chances.

They wanted me to do it Saturday morning, but to protect myself from possible KGB machinations, i.e. to betray me; I decided to take care of him Friday night. I dressed in a black pants suit, blouse, boots and I stuffed my hair into a fisherman’s cap. I had my Beretta stuffed into the back of my pants and under my shirt.

It took me ten minutes by subway to get to his street. Javier’s apartment was about two blocks from the entrance to the metro. It was dark, close to 7:00 p.m. when I entered the building. There was no concierge around and in front of me was a delivery man. He had a sack of food…Chinese by the smell of it. I noticed his finger come away from a name. He grinned at me and headed up the stairs.

Glancing at the name he had looked for, I was shocked to see it was Javier. This might get complicated. I followed the delivery man up two flights of stairs. He was in front of a door knocking as I came up the last step. Moving swiftly I stepped behind the man, pulling my Beretta out just as the door opened.

I shoved the delivery man through the door. In almost the same instant, I fired twice at Javier hitting him once in the face and once in the heart. He was dead when he hit the floor. The delivery man had fallen to one side when I shoved him inside. I turned my attention to him firing into his chest, heart-high and another into his thigh. He died as quick as Javier.

I had a momentarily feeling of regret for killing the delivery man, but he’d been at the wrong place at the wrong time. I left the food he’d brought.

I returned to my hotel, showered and went to sleep. I had two seminars to attend in the morning and one in the afternoon as well as a sight seeing tour I’d signed up for and in the evening, a banquet. I went to sleep missing Jack and Sydney.

Saturday – May 22, 1976

I found no mention of the deaths of Javier or the deliveryman in the English Edition of the New York Herald. Of course, since it involved two ‘Frenchmen’ there would not be any. Ah well, I’ll hear soon enough when I get home. I’m not sure what they will think or do. Still I did acquire my target. Anyone else would have to be considered collateral damage.

SYDNEY AND VAUGHN

Sydney put the journal down with a sigh. Her mother was like two different people. As a spy she was cold-blooded assassin without a heart. She was without fear.

“What?” Vaughn looked up from where he was sitting on the floor with Isabelle.

Sydney gave him a brief smile. “I don’t know. I wish Mom and I had had time to talk…time to tell me more about herself and the years between. I know I have the journals, but…” she stopped as Isabelle looked at her. She had a frown on her ordinarily cheerful face. “What is it, sweetheart?”

“Granma?”

“Gosh she is perceptive,” said Sydney.

Vaughn laughed. “Darling, it’s a Derevko thing. Perceptive and deceptive…your mother certainly had those qualities about her. I remember your father telling me once she was an opportunistic sociopath.”

“Well, I’m learning what happened to make her that way. I don’t think she was born one.”

“Yeah maybe,” he looked at Isabelle. “Let’s get you to bed, young lady. We’re going on a picnic tomorrow and you are going to need all the sleep you can get.”

“Would you put her to bed. I’ll be in later. I want to finish the next couple of pages.”

Sunday – May 23, 1976

Jack and Sydney picked me up at the airport. Both were delighted to see me. I think there was more relief in Jack however. As he drove home he told me all that had happened. It seems our little girl is getting a personality trait that hadn’t shown itself yet. Stubbornness. I guess she takes after me. He said Sydney wouldn’t eat the Gerber carrots or the potatoes no matter how much he pleaded. She even threw her dish on the floor and he had to clean it up.

I laughed. I think it was a good idea he had to take care of her. He now has an idea how much work it is to take care of a baby. But I don’t complain, because when he is home, he diapers her and baths her when I ask. Jack is a great father and a loving husband. Listening to some women at school has made me appreciate this man more than ever.

We had good sex after Sydney was put down to sleep. I was fairly wound up and sex seems to relieve the stress after completing an assignment.

SYDNEY

“More truth than you know, Mom.” Sydney shut the journal remembering the night SD-6 was destroyed. There were other times too that making love to Vaughn relieved her stress after a tough job more often than not. She wondered if Katya had the same reaction. Still she did know her aunt was not averse to taking men to her bed any time she felt the need.

As Sydney scanned the last few pages of the 1976 journal, she realized most of it was about her growing up. Her mother seemed fascinated by Sydney’s capabilities of understanding and mimicking words. She and Jack always spoke in adult tones and using a simple vocabulary to their daughter and it seemed Sydney Anne was absorbing it all. She wanted to know everything.

She finished the journal and put it down. She ran her finger across the last page thoughtfully before closing it. There was a lot more to Laura/Irina than she thought when she started. It was obvious her mother was a complex woman who managed to live two lives with success.

***** :D

MariaPurt said

And, well, nice update. I don't get the only thing: did KGB have too little of agents, or what? Why would they take Irina to France??? That would be very suspicious, i guess...

Having an outside killer come in to eliminate the target is much easier than having someone already in the "line of sight" of the CIA, Suerte or any other intelligence agency. They would have an 'alibi' if the police questioned them. Even an internal investigation of the event wouldn't reveal a known opponent as the killer.
Enter Irina Derevko, who kills and leaves.

This is not the end. I'm writing Kashmir now. Next is the middle and late eighties and following that, I'll be writing "The Man" where she heads a vast criminal organization.

MariaPurt said
Having an outside killer come in to eliminate the target is much easier than having someone already in the "line of sight" of the CIA, Suerte or any other intelligence agency. They would have an 'alibi' if the police questioned them. Even an internal investigation of the event wouldn't reveal a known opponent as the killer.
Enter Irina Derevko, who kills and leaves.

Hmmm, i just thought
1. US and France are very distant
2. Why not send there somebody from a bit closer place (Italy, Germany...)
3. That was baaad time for the foreigners, i think. Once Laura was not french she'd be automatically under some attention:( Meaning, they were all afraid of USSR spies :woot:
Made a bit of research, so, KGB rarely used their own agents for elimination. They prefered to use Bolgarian and East German substantions for that:smiley:

Back