The Derevko Journals

Irina is 26

Friday – January 21, 1977

I think I have Sydney nearly potty trained. She still wears diapers, but most of the time she says ‘potty’ and when I take her to the bathroom, she does it. I’ve been working for this the past three months and it seems to have taken affect. Jack is gone. I don’t know where because it’s a secret, of course. They send him on assignments several times during the year and it just delays his work on Project Christmas. He’s really a good man and a total patriot…just as I am.

I wish sometimes neither of us was in this business. I could teach which I’ve come to enjoy so much and he could be some business man. Being in the intelligence gathering business is not safe. V called and wanted to see me…said he was bringing my diaper order tomorrow. I think I’ll tell him to stop. Sydney is not going to need them much longer.

Saturday – January 22, 1977

V brought the diapers. I told him he’d have figure out a new way to communicate as Sydney was potty trained. He shrugged and said that we could meet at the motel again when I left the university in the afternoon.

Anyway, he had a message from them. They had another assignment for me. It would be in Berlin this time. There was by coincidence another conference I could attend. Since it was four months away, perhaps I could go as a panelist or workshop planner.

“Why are you telling me four months in advance?”

“The target is in Africa now, but will return then. We want you to have time to prepare.”

Musing about this I wondered if I could participate in some manner. I had published two papers on some abstract English authors which garnered me some praise by Dr. Little. I looked at V saying, “Why don’t they eliminate him when he’s in Africa?”

“Too many people with him. The CIA has designed a security program for Zaire’s government and it’s too busy and…” he paused, “…too dangerous for you. You are the best we have and we don’t want to lose you.”

I grinned. At last someone said it. The best. “Okay, I’ll see what I can do. Call me at work in a few days and I’ll let you know what’s happening.”

Sunday – April 17, 1977

Today is Sydney’s birthday. She’s two! She is potty trained and pretty proud of herself. Jack and I are proud of her too because she is talking up a storm as they say. She’s chatting with everyone who will listen to her. We have to be very careful what we say or do or our little darling will tell everyone. She has not learned about lying or keeping her mouth shut about the family. I hope she will be over it as soon as she learns to be careful what she says to other people.

We asked her what she wanted for her birthday last week. She was thoughtful and finally looked at both of us and said she wanted a bed. She thought she was too old to be sleeping in a crib. She was so serious about it that we almost laughed, but didn’t. Instead we went out shopping for a twin bed that would last awhile.

Jack put up the bed while I took her to church. She was quite excited when we left church because they celebrated her birthday. She became deliriously happy when she saw her new bed. She wanted to take a nap right away to try it out. Of course there was one small difficulty—our child couldn’t climb up into it yet. Jack lifted her up, glancing at me with a twinkle in his eyes. I wanted to laugh, but didn’t.

“Sydney Anne,” I said formally, “this means you will not leave your bed at night. Do you think you can stay in bed?”

“Yes Mommy, I can.” She grinned at us both. “I’m going to take a nap now.”

Oh Dear God, how I love that child.

Monday - May 2, 1977

Jack and I had a huge argument last night about my going to Berlin in three weeks. I reminded him that he said I could go when I told him in January I was submitting an outline for a seminar I wanted to give at the conference. He, of course, hadn’t heard me and probably mumbled something. I would be gone for the four or five days I’d told him, but he didn’t want me to leave Sydney. He said he didn’t know his schedule yet. I said we’d have to hire a sitter then. That went over like a lead balloon.

We were screaming at each other pretty loud when we both looked up and saw Sydney staring at us. She had toddled in from the family room when she heard us. Both of us immediately went silent. Jack headed for the office, leaving me with our daughter whose eyes were glistening with tears.

I picked her up and held her tight to me. I tried to explain that mommy was going away to a very important meeting and that daddy was upset because he didn’t want mommy to leave. She looked at me for a long minute. Then she said she would take care of daddy and it was okay for me to leave. I had to laugh.

I carried her in my arms to the office. “Jack, Sydney wants to tell you something.” He turned around and there was still anger on his face.

“What is it, sweetheart?”

“I will take care of you; so Mommy can go.”

His mouth dropped open. I smiled at her and then at him. “What do you think? Can she take care of you?”

Anger left his face. “Sorry darling.” He kissed me lightly on the cheek, pulling Sydney into his arms. “I think it’s possible that you can take care of me. I’ll even take you out to dinner…just like I do Mommy sometimes.”

Sydney threw her arms around him and kissed him on the cheek.

This morning Jack and I calmly discussed my being away. We decided that if he had to be away on an assignment that we would ask Emily Sloane to watch over Sydney. She agreed immediately when we called to explain our dilemma. I told her that I would cut my trip short if that happened so as not to cause any hardship. She, of course, said there was no hardship in taking care of Sydney. Thank goodness for the Sloanes. I don’t know what we would’ve done without their help.

SYDNEY AND VAUGHN

Sydney closed the journal and looked at Vaughn who was reading the newspaper. They had gone out for breakfast which lasted longer than anticipated as Isabelle was with them and, naturally, had captured the attention of all the waiters and people at surrounding tables. It was their third day in Florence and already people who came in contact with her were falling in love with Isabelle.

“When did your father die? I don’t think you ever told me.” She tried to keep her voice neutral.

He looked up! “We were not sure, but we think it was sometime in May of 1983. Why?”

Sydney sighed. “I thought it might be sooner.”

He stared at her. “When you get to that particular year, I do not want to know what happened.” It had always been a painful memory and that coupled with the fact Irina Derevko, Sydney’s mother, had viciously killed him was enough to make him not want to know.

AUTHOR’S NOTE: Now here’s where I’m trying to stay consistent with what we know, which is not what the writers did. For instance, we heard she killed Bill Vaughn in such a manner as he could not be identified except with dental records but never exactly how. This is what Vaughn told Sydney in the first season. He supposedly was one of the 12 she killed while living with Jack, but maybe not. Because in the third season we heard from Katya, Bill was killed by Irina when he would not give her the location of where he’d hidden Nadia, which by the way, had nothing to do with his CIA job. He was supposedly a member of the Friends of Rambaldi.

However we think that Vaughn is about two years older than Sydney and he stated his father was killed when he was 10. Sydney was born in 1975 which makes Vaughn’s birth in 1973. Ergo, Bill Vaughn must have been killed in 1983.

But since this story is told from Irina’s POV, we’ll let her decide when she killed Bill, where and why.

Wednesday – May 25, 1977

I flew into Berlin late in the evening with a stop-over in London. It had been a long flight so I went to my hotel and collapsed, sleeping until seven the next morning. I called Jack to report I was okay. He told me Sydney was already asleep and that he loved me. I told him I was scheduled for my seminar in two days and I thought I would come right home.

“Don’t be silly, darling. Take another day to see the sights. You might not get back there again.”

“I know, but I miss you and Sydney.”

I could hear him smile. “Do what you want. We’ll be waiting for you.”

After showering, I went for breakfast and checked with the front desk for any messages. I was handed a sealed envelope with my name on it. I read it on the way to my room. It gave me the details including name and address. I made a call to the number written on the note and then destroyed it.

Later:
I went out shortly before lunch. In order to keep myself from being recognized by any of my fellow colleagues, I dressed in my black outfit having retrieved it from the locker at the bus station nearby. It was a little chilly, so I pulled on a fleeced lined jacket after putting my hair into a single braid. I tucked the braid under the jacket’s collar and tugged a cap over it. I lifted the collar of the jacket up so the braid was completely hidden. I left by the employee’s entrance.

Outside the hotel I made my way to the metro station and took a subway to the seedier part of the city. There was a switchblade in my jacket pocket and I kept my right hand on it for instant use. I’d already ascertained the way to Schwartz Street and found it to be a narrow, dark alleyway, not even a street. The houses towered at least six stories and were so close together that sunlight was almost impossible to filter to the street. Only those in the top floors could consider receiving any heat from the sun.

There was an unmistakable stench of urine, feces and food that was so intermingled that on a good day, it would be hard to ascertain the separate smells. The walls of the houses were coated with black material which I would guess to be smoke from burning coal. I found the number of the house I’d been directed to go. There was no door bell so I knocked.

A couple of minutes later, a man appeared. I’d expected a derelict given the squalor that surrounded me. However, he was clean shaven and looked sober.

“Yeah?”

“Marlene Schwarzer here?”

“No, she is not back from the butcher shop.” He stood back.

I entered and did not go any further than two or three feet inside. It looked as bad as the outside. “You live here?” I asked out of curiosity considering.

“No,” he answered grimly. “Marlene lets me use her place for meetings.”

“Isn’t that dangerous?” I was thinking that if she got too curious, she might turn him in to the police just to see if there was a reward for him.

“No.” He said no more but handed me a key. “It’s at the bus station near your hotel.”

“What the hell? You mean I came all the way over here to pick up key for another locker there?” Paranoia was, perhaps, the greatest KGB fault. I thought they took unnecessary risks. He didn’t answer and stood by the door to usher me out.

At the bus station some thirty minutes later, I removed a suitcase from a locker on the other side of the station. It was getting darker, so I sauntered back to the hotel arriving when it was nearly dark. I entered a side door and used the employee elevator to get up to my floor and to my room.

I opened the envelope. Inside were the directions and the name of my target…Edward Palmer. He was a CIA agent involved in hunting members of East Germany’s elite Stasi. Many of these former Communist policemen had disappeared and some even became model German citizens now involved with various political agencies as well as German intelligence. They had been provided with new identities and papers by the KGB. Palmer already had caught several.

Edward Palmer, it seems, had done some extensive work in East Germany and had secretly photographed over a hundred Stasi members. He, along with some German intelligence officers, was hunting down the East Germans who they considered criminals…not good Germans.

Palmer was going to be a guest at home of Kurt Kruger, a well known politician who was backing German Intelligence to help with Palmer’s quest. It was to be a big affair with about a hundred or so attending. Inside was an invitation made out to Gina Malcolm, who was a correspondent for a little known publication in the U.S. The paper was supposedly a secretly CIA-backed organization that was used to obtain passes into diplomatic affairs. As their representative, I would be going to the buffet dinner with full access to the guests including Edward Palmer and it was tomorrow night. Fortunately, the KGB had stumbled onto the paper’s silent owners and used it to their advantage.

Since I had not brought anything fancy to wear, I thought I would buy something not too spectacular. I was not planning to call attention to myself from anyone. I would also need a certain weapon. There was a phone number on the sheet. Using a pre-paid cell phone, I made the call after returning from my shopping expedition. This time I would be picking up the delivery at a department store the next morning.

Thursday – May 26, 1977

I finished off Mr. Palmer tonight and they robbed his apartment, gathering all the pictures and information he had on file. He must have believed himself safe. Erroneous assumption.

I entered the Krueger estate about 8:00 p.m. in a taxi driven by one of them. I was given a cell phone and told to call when I needed to return to my hotel. Of course, it was not a real licensed taxi.

The butler at the door was gracious when I gave him my invitation. He checked the guest list and nodded. I was handed over to another man who took my coat. I entered the hall and noticed many people standing and talking with drinks in their hand. A waiter came up to me and I took a glass, hoping to blend into the crowd. I didn’t look dowdy, but I also didn’t look glamorous. I was careful to check for visible security cameras, but I didn’t see any. Still I was not visibly cautious, but drifted around from room to room.

I’d purchased a simple black dress, which opened at the neck to show off my three stands of pearls. No one even knew the clasp which was hidden by the dress had another purpose…it held a sheathed stiletto knife about six inches long hanging between my shoulder blades. My hair hung down my back and made it impossible to see the sheath. It was my weapon of choice for this evening’s work. I also obtained a pair of horn-rimmed glasses to wear which added plainness to my appearance.

I circled through the various rooms trying to locate my target. I didn’t see him at first and wondered if he was there yet. Finally I spotted him in deep conversation with Krueger. Obviously Palmer was excited about something. I wasn’t going to pry about this because I had a job to do. So I stayed just where I could keep an eye on them.

Krueger left Palmer to attend to all of his guests. I strolled by Palmer who was searching his pockets for something. I tripped and my drink spilled onto his pants and lower half of his dinner jacket. I apologized profusely.

“Let me get a butler to help you. Oh my God, I am so sorry,” I cried.

“No, that’s not necessary Miss…er…” he looked at me.

“Gina.” I cried and a tear or two ran down my cheeks.

“Please Gina; I’ll just clean it off in the bathroom.” He smiled reassuringly and walked down the hallway toward the downstairs’ bathroom.

It was gloomy at this end of the hall, so I pulled out the stiletto. “Are you sure I can’t help you. I’m so clumsy.” I followed him.

“Don’t worry about it. Accidents do happen.” He smiled and opened the door.

I glanced down the hall. There was no one. I turned and before he knew what happened, I shoved him into the room and pushed the stiletto into the back of his neck, high up so that the sharp point cut into the brain stem. He collapsed onto the floor without saying anything. I dried the stiletto after running water over it. I checked his pulse before opening the door. He was dead.

I took the cell phone from my purse and made the call. “It’s done. Send the cab.”

Friday – May 27, 1977

I attended the seminars today and presented my workshop in the afternoon. It was well received by the teachers present. There were a hundred or so of them and they were very complimentary. I was pleased also with the presentation, especially since my target was taken care of. I looked over the newspaper that was printed in English and read nothing about Palmer’s death. I’m sure the German Intelligence kept it out of the public’s knowledge.

I’m flying home early tomorrow morning and be home by late afternoon. I’m anxious to see my little Sydney and Jack.

Saturday – May 28, 1977

Jack and Sydney picked me up. I was so happy to see them. I gave Sydney at big hug and kissed her cheeks. Then I reached up, grabbing Jack by the neck, and kissed him long and thoroughly.

“Jesus, Laura, what was that for?” He grinned when I let him go.

“I’ve missed you so much.”

We headed for the baggage area and Jack filled me in on the last four days. He was able to get time off so we didn’t have to depend on outside help. He told me everything that he and Sydney did. He said she wore him out and she chattered constantly, wanting to know about everything they did.

I laughed. He didn’t have to tell me anything. I knew it already. I spent more time with her and knew her good and bad points.

When we got home, I put Sydney to bed and read her a story. Jack was in his office and I joined him there. He asked about the conference and I told him all that had happened as well as how good my own workshop was. I could feel the heat rising inside me. I was wound up as tight as a drum and needed the release.

“I need you tonight,” I whispered. I nuzzled his ear. “Can you take care of me?”

He stood, took me in his arms and kissed me hard. “Get going woman.”

“Shower first…then…” I turned and walked into the bedroom. The suitcase was on the floor where Jack put it but I ignored it.

I dropped my clothes in the bathroom after turning on the water. I stepped inside while it was still a bit cold. I always did it this way…all my life. The hot came on slowly and I took the washcloth, soaping it up and then scrubbing myself top to bottom to rid myself of the smell of traveling. Locked up in a plane for so many hours can wear you down and weld smells into your body. I wanted to be free…of everything…even the smell of death.

Suddenly the door opened and Jack stepped inside. He stood for a moment staring at me and bent forward kissing me as the water relentlessly poured over us. I could feel his arousal and wanted him there.

“Now,” I whispered.

Leaning back against the wall, I spread my legs. He lifted me up and entered me. There was no hesitation. I slid down taking all of him inside. I locked my legs around his hips and he had to thrust only three times before I gasped and groaned as I came with a rush. I let him thrust a couple of times more; then I surged again just as he had his own orgasm. My entire body screamed with relief.

Jack withdrew and opened the shower door. “Laura,” he gasped. He lifted me up and put me down outside, grabbing a towel. He gently wiped me dry. I closed my eyes as his touch began to fire me up again. I kept my eyes closed as he toweled himself off. Then he carried me into bed. We made love again until he was exhausted, falling asleep.

Standing, I threw on a robe to check on Sydney. My sweet little girl was sound asleep. She had kicked the blanket off, so I covered her. I leaned down to kiss her cheek. Then I went into the office to look inside Jack’s briefcase.

Monday – July 4, 1977

It was a holiday today and we went to a barbeque at the Sloanes. We took Sydney because there would be other children there. Sydney was stubborn about what she wanted to wear. I wanted to put her into a darling dress that Emily had given to her for her birthday, but Sydney refused. She wanted pants and a shirt.

“Mommy, I get dirty.”

Jack laughed and told me to let her wear what she wanted. I had to agree with her reasoning. If she was going to have any fun, it might involve getting dirty. I would not be pleased with that so we let her wear what she wanted.

All of those in attendance were from the CIA office. As was with most office parties, the men drifted together drinking beer and the ladies were left to put together the rest of the food. The men were in charge of the meat.

We were sitting in Emily’s large comfortable kitchen chatting about families. We were taking turns checking on the whereabouts of the five children who were outside playing on the large lawn.

“Did you hear the latest gossip,” asked one of the women.

“What?” Emily poured another cup of coffee from the urn, handing it to the speaker.

“Bob says they’ve lost several agents in the past five years and the head office (meaning Langley) was positive they’d been murdered by one person.”

“How many agents?” I asked.

“Supposedly eight.”

“Are you sure?” Emily said looking a bit shaken.

Mrs. Bob nodded. I didn’t know her last name. I never attempted to learn last names of other agents. I never forgot the funeral and the event following the one for Philip Krasner. I stood up and looked out the window. I could see the children racing around. Sydney was the youngest and she couldn’t quite run as well yet.

“Excuse me, ladies; I think Sydney is wearing out. I’d better get her before she falls down.”

Emily turned to glance out the window and nodded. I left before I was caught up with more gossip. I did not want to know more, but what I did hear meant I’d have to do something before someone caught on or suspected me. I think I am undergoing my own form of paranoia.

Wednesday – July 6, 1977

V called me yesterday, so I set up a meeting this afternoon. Jack was off to work early and I told him I was taking Sydney to the beach later just in case he would try to call. I knew if I took her after lunch, let her play in the sand and take her out into the water, she would be asleep by the time V arrived at 2:30 p.m. He did and Sydney was fast asleep. Nothing would wake her up for at least another hour.

I was leaning back in my beach chair reading.

“Hello Laura.” The voice was low, almost a whisper. It was V.

“Yes?”

“Is she asleep?”

“Yes, but let’s keep our voices low.” I glanced over at Sydney who was curled up with her thumb in her mouth. I must call her dentist. I remember him saying not to let her do this because it would do something with her teeth.

“They are impatient,” he started.

“With what?”

“The Project Christmas.”

I closed my book and looked up at him. “I cannot give them information I do not have. I know he is working on it, but the company keeps him busy on other jobs too. I am not going to push.”

“They want to know if you want to be extracted.”

“What for?” I was becoming exasperated with them. “I am not suspected and I have not only supplied them with information on Jack’s project, but have supplied them with all kinds of information on that Italian nutcase, Milo Rambaldi. As long as I give them something, they should be happy.”

“They thought you might be…bored.”

I stared at him. “No, not bored, just concerned.” I motioned him to sit down on the towel. I didn’t want to keep looking up. “The CIA is concerned about the number of agents that have been assassinated and they think one man is behind it.”

His eyes widened. “You’ve got to go?”

I sighed, shaking my head. “No, I think they need to make sure that I’m not being sent on too many assignments too close together. Let’s have a cooling off period, before I’m given another job to do.”

“You don’t tell them what you’ll do.”

“Are you an idiot? One moment you think I should go home and the next you’re saying they’re the boss and don’t frack with them.”

“I know…I know, but…”

“They need to be warned, that’s all I’m saying. I can be effective here if there’s not too much pressure put on me.” I stared at him. “Remind them I haven’t failed them in completing any assignment.”

He stood. “Yes.” He sighed. “Just be careful.”

“Don’t worry…I am very careful—always.” I watched him trudge across the sand toward the parking lot. V was a lily-livered fool.

I doubted he wanted to go back. He was happy here in the U.S. as much as I was. I had no illusions though. If the time came, and somewhere in my mind I thought it would, I’d have to be extracted. If the CIA was thinking hard about the eight I’d killed…I would have to be more careful.

Friday – August 19, 1977

This was NOT a good day.

First I planned to go to the university to get my attendance records straight. I’d picked up the lists yesterday and now was going to put them on my roll call book. This also served as a preliminary grade book. I’d been pleased when I picked up the lists. My classes were packed. The attendance secretary congratulated me. She said that the word was out that I was one of the best teachers in the English Department. That was yesterday of course. Today was a bit less pleasing.

I arranged to drop off Sydney with Emily for a couple of hours, much to the delight of both. I didn’t want to have Sydney with me at school because she demands a lot of attention and I want to give it to her. I didn’t worry about leaving her with Emily because Sloane’s wife is wonderful with our little girl.

I finished about three. I dashed over to the Sloanes and picked up Sydney. We were going to the beach for the rest of the afternoon. Where I was born having a beach nearby to go to was impossible. It was cold most of the year…very cold. Now it was summer and although warm…in the high eighties, the weather man promised cool breezes at the beach. So I planned to drive to the end of Sunset Boulevard and find a good spot.

Sydney fussed about being put into a diaper, but relented when I told her it was her swim suit. I found a spot about two hundred feet from where I parked the car. The sun was warm and there was a breeze. I unpacked my extra large bag containing blanket, towel, books, one for each of us, a puzzle for Sydney, suntan oil and my journal. I’d tucked an umbrella under my arm after pulling the tote over onto my shoulder. I maneuvered Sydney in her stroller with the other. The sand was not too soft so I could make it to the spot I’d chosen.

The place I chose was near two elderly couples I’d seen before when Sydney and I came to the beach. They’d been friendly and Sydney had basked in their admiration over her conversational ability at such a young age. I judged them all to be in their late sixties and retired. I’d ascertained on previous visits that they always came to the beach about the same time every Friday. So I was happy to see them again.

We spent a pleasant three hours with them. Gregory, one of the men, bought Sydney a cherry Popsicle which she managed to dribble over her ‘bathing suit’. This gave me a chance to take her to the water and wash her off and, although it removed the red sticky on her, it wasn’t the best. I knew we’d have to have another bath when I got her home. She wanted to go out further, but I said no. She didn’t know how to swim yet.

The four older people left about six. The rest of the beach began to become deserted too. Traffic on Pacific Coast Highway lessened too. It was dinner time and I knew Sydney was hungry. I packed everything up, put Sydney in her stroller, and headed back for the car.

I was so busy putting everything away and Sydney in her car seat that I didn’t notice any of my surroundings or people. I went around to the driver’s side of the car preparing to enter then leave.

“Hey lady, can you spare a couple of bucks?”

I looked up at the sound of the voice so close to me and saw two men, both unshaven and both looking as though I was going to be their victim. My instincts kicked in and I knew they meant nothing but trouble. I stood up. I had my purse in my hand. I decided to give them the money, since Sydney was with me. I didn’t want her to be hurt.

“Sure.” I handed them each a five dollar bill. I glanced around at the same time and didn’t see anyone close enough to help me.

“Gee thanks,” one said leering at me. He licked his lips sizing me up. I might be tall, but I was thin and wiry. He wasn’t anticipating any trouble with me

“Looks like you have a lot more money in that wallet. Suppose you hand it over too and maybe we’ll have a party…”

He didn’t finish because at that moment I drove my foot into his genitals. As he screamed and fell to the ground, I threw an elbow into the face of the other. That staggered him out into the open area behind my car and the one next to it. I followed that by hitting him over the head with my purse. When he put his hands up to ward off my blows, I kicked him hard in the groin causing him to fall to the ground.

I turned in time to see the other man, who was in pain, charge me anyway. I took the heel of my hand and thrust it hard into his nose. That stopped him dead in his tracks and he fell flat to the ground not moving. The second man was struggling so I reached down gripping his right wrist with both hands. I jammed my foot into arm at the shoulder joint and twisted. He screamed. I dislocated his shoulder. That would keep them both out of circulation for a long time.

I stood for a moment, thinking about what I’d done. I couldn’t go to the police. I didn’t want to file any report. I just wanted to get home, so I jumped into the car, knowing there was nothing to tie me into the two injured men, and drove off, carefully avoiding hitting them.

“Mommy hurt?” Sydney looked at me.

“No, no, darling girl, Mommy is fine. We won’t tell Daddy, because he would be worried. We’ll be home in a few minutes. Promise?” She nodded. “That’s my sweet angel.”

Jack came home about eight. I’d fed and put Sydney to bed. I fixed us dinner. Pouring him some wine, I asked how his day had been.

“Just long, Laura. I think I’d like to watch some news and then,” he grinned, “hit the sack early.”

I smiled back. We were sitting on the sofa. “Turn it on.”

The news came on and the broadcaster was in the midst of bringing us up on what was going on in Washington. The next item however made me sit up straight. He was talking about two men found at the beach: one was dead and the other severely injured. The police had no clue or evidence leading the name of their attackers. I didn’t say anything but took a bite of food.

Jack looked at the two men’s pictures and grunted. “They look like attackers.”

“Now Jack, just because they look scruffy doesn’t mean they are.”

“Two to one, they have a record,” he said.

“Shhh, I want to hear how the man died.” The reporter on site was pointing to the body bag. The reporter was saying the man’s nose had been hit so hard the bones were driven into his brain.

Jack was surprised. “Not many people know that can happen. Most intelligence agents know that it can and are trained in that defense.”

I didn’t say anything. We went to bed early and made love.

SYDNEY AND VAUGHN

Sydney was sitting at the breakfast table and the look on her face told Vaughn she was in deep thought.

“Hey…what’s wrong?” He leaned down and kissed her on the cheek. “You feel all right?”

She closed the journal smiling at him. “No, I’m feeling okay. It’s just Mom. I’m reading this day she wrote about. It’s got me in it. I think she killed a guy in Santa Monica and I’m trying to remember.”

“What?” Vaughn dropped into the seat next to her. “Who?”

“I think she…no we were accosted by a couple of would be muggers and or rapists when she took me to the beach. She dropped them both in about a minute, evidently killing one with the nose smash. She kicked both in the crotch and dislocated the other guy’s shoulder. I don’t think she realized at first that she killed the one until she and Dad watched a news broadcast later.”

“So they never caught on who it was?”

Sydney laughed, “They didn’t even think it was a ‘her’. I’m sure the police thought it some sort of bar fight or grudge fight. They probably never investigated because there were no witnesses or crime scene evidence.”

“Do you remember that?”

She shook her head. “No, I was trying to…but I was just 2 ½ and as good as my memory is, it can’t reach that far. I was in the car seat and probably couldn’t see.”

Vaughn shook his head. “Add another body to the list. Listen we have Pietro coming at ten to take us to the Uffizi Gallery for the day. Is our child ready?”

“I’m sure she is ready for any adventure that comes our way.”

Saturday – August 20, 1977

I looked at the newspaper this morning before Jack got up. There was a small piece in the L. A. Times on the 12th page about unnamed men being the victims. The one who was alive couldn’t tell the police anything about his assailant. He said he and his partner were just walking to the beach when some guy attacked them without provocation. He was as puzzled about it as the police. He also volunteered that he’d had a lot of alcohol and was afraid he couldn’t even ID the assailant. I’m sure he didn’t want to admit that a woman had done it. Fine by me.

I decided to pick another beach in the future. I was sorry to lose contact with the four seniors, but I could take no chance that he would some day show up.

Wednesday – November 23, 1977

It’s our sixth anniversary tomorrow and it’s also Thanksgiving. Jack is taking me and Sydney on a vacation to Yosemite which is in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. We were going to camp, he said, then figured Sydney was too little and we didn’t have enough time. He made reservations at a resort outside the national park.

We drove up in the late afternoon and found our way to a small town called Oakhurst which is just a few miles outside the park. The place we stayed was a dude ranch that Jack had heard about. It was rustic. It was cold too. Although it was late, they had some cold cuts and bread and pie available. We were shown to our room where we deposited our bags before going back for food.

Sydney barely ate anything she was so tired. I ate a turkey sandwich and took her back to our room. Jack wanted a piece of pie so I left him talking to the owner/manager. Sydney was sound asleep when he returned and I’d unpacked everything and changed for bed. Jack returned just as I crawled into the bed with a book.

He waggled his finger at me grinning. “No reading. Just loving tonight, darling. It’s our sixth anniversary.”

“We’ll wake Sydney.” I protested weakly.

“I doubt it. We’ll do it slow and easy…” He stripped in seconds and crawled into bed pulling me to him.

Thursday – November 24, 1977

What a magical place this is. The park was nearly deserted. The roads were almost traffic free. We saw bears, deer—all sorts of wildlife. Sydney’s eyes got so big I thought they’d pop right out of their sockets. The park ranger we met at a little store told us the bears would soon be gone—hibernating until early March or later depending on the amount of snow.

We had dinner at the Ahwahnee Hotel which has been a fixture in the Park from almost the time it opened. It was a beautiful building old and built with a sense of the Old West. It was so rustic I half expected to see cowboys on horseback riding up. Our reservations were for an early dinner, but even so, Jack ordered a bottle of wine to go with the roast turkey dinner. Sydney was her usual chatty self and even the waiter was in awe. She told him and everyone close by about the bears she saw, how many deer and other assorted small animals. Jack and I have found that we can eat in peace when Sydney takes over the conversations as she did at the hotel.

We left early with information that there was a storm heading our way and it would probably be a good idea to leave the floor of the valley and get back to our cozy ranch hotel in Oakhurst. We’d barely returned before there was a rush of wind, accompanied by first rain, then hail and finally snow. Sydney was in her bed fast asleep so Jack and I stepped outside to watch it snow. It was not quite the same as it was where I was born.

Jack carried me back inside whispering, “Do you know how much I love you, Laura?”

“A bushel and a peck?” I was quoting a song from Guys and Dolls, which we’d seen at the Dorothy Chandler a few years ago.

“More than that, sweetheart, more than that.” He put me down outside our door, opening it, and picking me up again. He shut the door softly by leaning against it. He put me down and kissed me, silently but insistently, almost demanding.

My heart raced as his hands moved around my back and down to my buttocks. I could feel him harden. I finally came up for air, gasping…heat rising from my core.

“Take off my clothes, Jack.” I whispered. Unfortunately we’d dressed warmly and so there was an extra layer of clothing. He still made quick work of them. Then he dropped his jacket and shirt, kicking his boots off. Seconds later he was as naked as I was. We both were ready.

He started to push me down on the bed. I stopped him. “Let me be on top. There’s a lot less noise.”

He fell back onto the bed and I climbed up on him, taking his penis deep inside. It was also one way I could control my orgasm. I leaned down. Then I rode him back and forth as he sucked on my breasts. My body trembled as I sensed my orgasm starting to build. I stopped for a moment, breathing heavily and watched him intently as his mouth and right hand caressed my breasts. His left hand moved down and began manipulating my clit in such a manner that I was going crazy with the increased heat he was causing.

“Jack, no…stop…wait,” I cried softly.

He chuckled softly knowing what he was doing. The man had no scruples when it came to making love to me. “You’re ready,” he said softly. “Finish me off too!”

“Jack Bristow…” I whimpered. “You bastard…” I rode back on him hard feeling every inch of him inside once and then once again. I let out a whoosh of air as my body responded from my head to toes. He came too. His fluid shooting into me as mine joined with his. I bucked as I peaked again.

Exhausted, I fell across his chest and rolled onto the bed pulling him out of me. We lay together sweat on our faces and bodies. It had been an anniversary frack and the best we’d had so far.

TBCb :lovers:

Irina is 27

Thursday - March 16, 1978

Today is Jack’s birthday. He’s 28. I teased him a bit this morning when he came down for breakfast. I saw a grey hair! Fortunately he was in a good mood. Sydney sang him a three year old’s (minus a month) version of Happy Birfday, Daddee. Of course, he was in awe of his daughter. The fact that I’d been training her for the past month to sing it well was not disclosed. It was hard for her to not burst out singing it at every opportunity, but we did have some long serious talks about that and the serious consequences there of if she did before the right day.

I decided to take Jack out to a restaurant in Beverly Hills. Emily Sloane came over to baby sit Sydney as Arvin was out somewhere on an assignment. She was not too happy when she arrived.

“What’s the matter?” I asked.

“He’s gone again. He’s after one of those Rambaldi artifacts. I swear I’m going to divorce him if he doesn’t stop obsessing about that 15th century crazy man.” She sounded exasperated.

I didn’t say anything as I was also interested in Rambaldi and whatever it was he had hidden hundreds of years ago that made his followers so obsessive. I’d met Arvin a couple of times for lunch, curious as to what he could tell me. I passed the information along until one day he told me that Rambaldi was interested in immortality. That piece of information I decided to keep for myself.

For his birthday, I bought Jack two cashmere sweaters and a new watch—one with the ability to relay the time of day in many capitals of the world.

The sex was pretty good tonight.

Wednesday – March 22, 1978

Today was my birthday. I’m 27 and I’ve been here for over six years. I’m married and I have a daughter. Sometimes at night I have to pinch myself to believe everything that has happened to me. I am two people: a spy and assassin for my country and also a wife and a mother who is a respected Professor of English Literature at UCLA here in Los Angeles, California…almost a lifetime away from the place I was born.

I like it here though. The weather is wonderful, even the winters. I could live here the rest of my life! Dangerous thoughts.

Jack took me out to dinner and dancing. He also gave me season tickets to the Dorothy Chandler Philharmonic Series and tickets for the opera which is here this spring. Jack knows I love the music and singing. He told me I could take anyone with me when he wasn’t at home. He is the ideal husband every woman wants.

Monday – April 17, 1978

Sydney is three. I told Jack she wanted to show him something today and could he get off work in the afternoon. He said he would try. For her birthday, however, I invited some of her pre-school friends, four to be exact, with their mothers, to a party, which I planned in the park. I informed the mothers that the party would start off with a dip in the children’s’ pool.

The surprise for Jack was I had taken Sydney for swimming lessons. She passed with flying colors. He was shocked, but delighted that she’d become proficient in learning how to swim. He told her he was proud of her accomplishment. The other children had a lot of fun. The mothers were delighted and they helped me with the cake and ice cream.

Sydney received some nice gifts including a swing set that Jack set up in the backyard and some new shoes. The way the child is growing she’ll need new ones in three or four months. I think she’ll be tall like me.

Tuesday – April 18, 1978

I spoke with Dr. Little today. He asked me to work on a workshop for English Teachers. I said I would and then I found out he wanted me to partner up with Professor Eli Carns. He is not my favorite faculty member and I have as little interaction with him as I can. Dr. Little also told me that I would be going to Madrid, Spain for the conference on May 4th for the weekend. This time the university would pay for everything except my food and drink.

“I’m not sure Professor Carns and I can work together. We don’t get along.” I thought I’d better warm Dr. Little in advance, before there was trouble.

“Strange,” he said, “he specifically asked for you.” He frowned. “I don’t want to make this an order. Why not talk with him about what he’s planning. If it doesn’t seem to be something you want to do, I could find someone else.”

I nodded and left immediately for Professor Carns office. We spoke for a while and he was pleasant as well as enthusiastic about the workshop. We were going to talk about preparing high school seniors for Freshman English which was compulsory freshman course that all new University students had to take. This time I did not get any bad vibes, so I agreed and told Dr. Little later.

I called V from the office and told him I would be in Madrid those May dates.

Monday – April 24, 1978

V called and I made arrangements to meet him at the motel on my way home. He told me it would not take long and it didn’t.

I have a new assignment. My target this time is Joyce Madison Barnes, a CIA analyst stationed in the Embassy in Madrid. Her specialty was encryption codes as well as breaking the codes when they came across her desk. She had broken several KGB coded messages and they wanted it to stop. Word was that there was no code she couldn’t break. I thought I’d like to test her with one of mine. However that was out of the question.

I memorized my orders and left. There was a lot to do in the next week and a half. Professor Carns and I were getting our criteria in place so that the teachers in our workshop could fully prepare their students.

Thursday – May 4, 1978

Carns and I arrived at Aeropuerto de Madrid Barajas early afternoon. We left last night late with a stopover in Paris. We went to our hotel, HotelH10 Villa dela Reina which was located in the heart of Madrid. The conference hotel was close by, but Carns insisted we use this hotel as our base. We would do the workshop at the other hotel.

I loved this old hotel when I saw it. What’s more, it had three different fire escapes in the rear. I roamed through the hotel after unpacking. I told Carns I was going out for a long walk. Thank God he didn’t want to come with me. I wanted to scout my target and the Embassy. I also needed time alone. Twelve to fourteen hours sitting with him on the plane and at our transfer was enough for the day.

When I returned it was late evening. I ate at a small restaurant that looked good. It was not proper for women to eat alone. It could mean I was inviting a man. However using all the charm I could muster, I persuaded the Maitre D to let me take a meal. He thoughtfully seated me in a small alcove away from most of the regular patrons. I enjoyed the solitude and the food immensely.

Friday - May 5. 1978

I am thankful that we gave our seminar/workshop this afternoon. That leaves me two days to complete my mission. Carns thinks I’m going to take a couple of tours out of the city and I know he isn’t interested. He is going to attend some of the workshops, leaving me free to do what I have to do.

I’ve picked up two suitcases in lockers at the local bus station. One had weapons and the other clothes.

At ten tonight I made my way to the local Metro. I needed to get a room in the poorer part of the city. I was dressed in such a way that no one would sense I was anything but a woman of the night. I found an old hotel at the beginning of an alley. I picked it because there was a fire escape and it would be an easy way to exit. I paid for a room in cash. I’m sure the clerk on duty pocketed it.

I was given a room on the third floor. I had to walk up, but didn’t mind. Hotel Caliente was an appropriate name. It had no air conditioning! I went over the room carefully to make sure I could leave through the window and regain entrance later if need be. The fire escape was at the end of the hall. I checked the window leading to it and there was no lock on it.

The door to my room had only a rudimentary lock which meant anyone could enter if they really wanted to come inside. However that was not expected in this hotel. I was fairly sure the CIA or any other intelligence agency wouldn’t think to look here for an assassin.

It was ten o’clock when I left the room after tying a small piece of tape to the door handle and anchoring it to a small protruding nail head at the edge of the door facing. In the dark, no one would notice it. I had also booby-trapped the closet where I left the weapons case. No one would leave my room alive if they opened the door. I would check the front door when I returned and dismantle the booby trap..

Joyce Barnes had an apartment about three kilometers from the American Embassy. I took the metro to the nearest stop to her street. The building she lived in was old, but beautiful. It must have been built in the 1800’s. The style was ornate and, fortunately, had ledges running around it on almost every floor. I walked around the building and found it had two fire escapes: one on the left and another on the right.

In the front there was a bank of mail boxes that looked new. Each one had a name written on it. I found Barnes’ name on the fifth floor—number 5-A. The door to the building was not locked, so I entered the small lobby. There didn’t seem to be a concierge on duty. The small desk was empty. Perhaps there was one only during the day. Lucky me, I thought.

I entered the old elevator which was open. It had no walls, just a cage. Pushing the fifth floor button, I waited as it creaked its way up to the fifth. When it stopped, I stepped out onto the hallway. The door in front of me said B, so I walked a few paces to my left and found the last apartment on the right was A—Barnes’ apartment.

I didn’t stop there, but went to the end of the hall and the window leading to the fire escape. It was locked! I wondered how often the window was checked and thought it wouldn’t be every day and possibly not every week or even less often. I unlocked it and noted the window slid open easily. I closed it and returned to the street via the fire escape.

Saturday – May 6, 1978

I spent the day on a tour of the city. In the afternoon, I took in a bullfight. It was very colorful and exciting. Several teachers were present and some who attended the seminar. We chatted and exchanged comments about the event. Someone asked me what I thought about bulls and matadors. I said I wondered why women couldn’t fight. They laughed, saying it was too dangerous.

I laughed to myself. They should live my life.

Later: The banquet wasn’t over until nearly midnight. We didn’t eat until 9 p.m. However, I excused myself early and returned to my hotel room. After changing clothes I again left by the fire escape and headed out for Hotel Caliente. It was warm and there were a lot of people outside. They eat late in Spain

I left the metro station and walked quickly to the hotel. The desk clerk didn’t even look at me when I went up the stairs to my room. Checking the door with my flashlight I saw no one had tried to enter.

Inside I put on the other clothes. From the weapons case, I removed a Glock with a silencer and a Red Army knife, putting both into my inside jacket pockets. I left the room again booby trapped and went down the fire escape. I returned to the metro.

At Barnes’ apartment building I again entered through the front door. There was no concierge on duty. I took the elevator to the fourth floor, found the stairs and climbed to the fifth. From my pants pocket I took a small case of picks and bent at the door. I didn’t expect Barnes to be home as there was an Embassy party this night and she would be there.

Inside, I found the rooms empty. The bedroom was a mess with clothes strewn about. After checking all the rooms, I saw a desk in the living room. I was checking the contents when I heard the elevator stop on the fifth floor. Voices were coming from that direction toward this apartment.

I shut the desk drawer and ran to the window. Opening it, there was one of the ledges I’d noted earlier. I wasted no time. I stepped out onto the ledge, closing the window after me just as the door was opening. I shuffled to my left, my Glock in my hand ready to use if necessary. The door shut behind Barnes and her companion.

Standing on the ledge, my heart almost leaped into my throat as I recognized the voice of the man with her—Arvin Sloane! What the devil was he doing here with her? I gripped the gun tighter and leaned slightly to the right to hear what was being said.

“—appreciate your walking me back here, Arvin.” The door opened.

“Wait—didn’t you hear that?” He said

“What?”

He was walking toward the window. I shuffled toward the corner, face to the building and gun in my left hand. I would shoot if he saw me. The window slid up just as I turned the corner. My heart was pounding harder than it ever’d been.

“See anything?” She asked

“No, but…”

The woman laughed. “Our jobs can peoduce self-induced paranoia. Why did you come back with me?”

“Gave us time to chat without a dozen ears listening,” he responded, shutting the window. He didn’t lock it.

“Did you get it?”

“Yeah, I picked it up this afternoon. I’ll be going home tomorrow.” He sat down. “This scientist is regarded as mad by some, but he was so far ahead of his time it’s incredible.”

“Do you think he might have been…” She paused. “…an alien?”

My eyes widened. I’d never thought of that. I had returned to my previous spot and was listening intently.

“I’ve thought of that, but forgot about it after knowing he’d been declared a heretic and burned at the stake. I think if he were an alien with that much intelligence would have found a way to leave.” Arvin theorized. “Look, I appreciate the heads up on the artifact. Keep me posted if anything else looks interesting.”

“Sure. Would you like a cup of coffee?”

“No, I should get back to my hotel.”

“Give my best to Emily.” She said. “Have a safe trip.”

I heard the door close and heaved a sigh of relief. I heard Barnes moving around and then the light went out. A door closed a moment later. She was getting ready for bed. I re-entered the apartment locking the window and leaning against it to catch my breath. That had been close!

I moved past the closed bathroom door and entered the bedroom. Standing behind the door, I waited. It was over five minutes later. She was pulling down the covers of her bed when I stepped from behind the door and shot her twice: once in the heart and once in the forehead.

As I left the building, I wonder what were they talking about. Then I remembered Emily told us Arvin was going to be gone because he was picking up a Rambaldi artifact. He must have picked it up at the Embassy.

Sunday – May 7, 1978

I changed my flight home. The fact that Arvin Sloane would be leaving today was the reason. I did not want to meet him by chance. It would be better this way. So I called the airline last night and checked to see if he was on my flight home and he was! I asked if there were an earlier or later flight. I was told I could get a flight home at noon, but there was a stopover in New York. I took it. My nerves had begun to calm down, so I undressed and went to sleep.

I called Jack and told him I was going to the Prado Museum this morning and would take a later flight. I gave him the ETA. He said it was okay that he would bring Sydney too. I told him I loved him and that it was fine. I did not want to argue long distance about his bringing Sydney. I was tired and would be happy just to be at home. He said he was glad I’d spent some time in Madrid—that it was a beautiful city.

Monday – July 10, 1978

Jack told me he was going on a mission and would be gone for two weeks. I was surprised. It was the first long mission since our marriage. I tried to get him to tell me where he was going…not persistently however. He said it was behind the Iron Curtain but no more than that.

“All right then,” I said, “if, by any chance, you are going to be in Prague, there’s a book store there that Valerie told me about—Gorski’s Books. The owner is partial to Americans and you might browse to see if there are any interesting first or second editions in his possession that he might be willing to part with…but that’s only if you are going to be there.” I put my arms around him as I spoke and ended it with a kiss. “But most important,” I whispered, “is that you come home safe and sound. Two weeks without you in our bed, is a long time.”

“Don’t worry, sweetheart. I will be careful.”

I knew if he went to Prague, he would look at Grigor’s book store. I will tell V so they can be alerted.

SYDNEY

‘So that was the store’, she thought, ‘where Mom got the books with her KGB orders. She was thinking back to when she discovered the Cyrillic writing in one of her books, but mistakenly thought they were orders for her father. I wonder when Dad caught on or if he didn’t until I brought it to the CIA’s attentiion.’

She closed the journal.

Tuesday - August 1, 1978

Jack was in Prague because a book came by mail today from Grigor’s Books. I used the method I was trained to do and read the message. It took me several minutes to get it. It’s been a long time since I’ve read or translated my own native language. It was a simple message. I was to tell V that I received it. I’m puzzled by the need to get messages this way. V and I have worked nicely together.

When I saw him later and gave him the message I asked him. He was puzzled also, but thought maybe they were going to extract him. He didn’t look happy about it. V was now married and had been promoted a couple of times at the FBI field office. He was becoming as Americanized as I was. I warned him not to become too comfortable. There was the possibility they were going to bring him home. The look of fright on his face was extraordinary.

November 24, 1978

Today is our anniversary. Jack and I have been married seven years! It doesn’t seem possible, especially in view of why I am here. We’ve spent the day quietly. Sydney has a friend in pre-school who asked her to come over and play. Her mother asked me if she could stay the night. She and I became acquainted and she knows it’s our anniversary.
I took her up on it immediately.

Yesterday was Thanksgiving and that was a big day. Emily again invited us for dinner. She fixed a turkey with dressing, gravy, mashed potatoes and two vegetables. I brought two pies: apple and pumpkin. I have become a reasonably good pie maker although the rest of the kitchen duty sometimes suffers from lack of practice. Teaching all day plus the extra preparation leaves me little time for meal preparation, so its catch as catch can. (That is funny colloquialism) Jack is often held up at the office too, so we don’t always have dinner together.

However it’s Sydney, our wonderful daughter, who is wise beyond her years. She does make us both watch and listen in wonder sometimes.

Since it was a Thanksgiving party, she asked us who was going to be there. We knew there would be two other couples, but no children. She thought for a minute (we could just imagine the wheels turning) and then said “…in that case I will wear my party dress.”

Oh how I love my precious sweet little girl. She is the heart of my heart.

SYDNEY AND VAUGHN

A tear appeared on Sydney’s cheek, “Oh damn, damn!”

“What’s wrong?” Vaughn looked up from the puzzle he was working on in the newspaper. The newspaper was in Italian, which made it twice as difficult.

Sydney read the passage to him and more tears appeared. Vaughn came to her and sat down. He held her until the tears stopped.

“Syd, I would imagine from that you will read more about yourself.”

“I—I can’t remember anything about those years.”

“Hell honey, you were what—three and a half? And after what your Dad did to you…the Project Christmas protocols…your memory of these early years was erased!” He squeezed her shoulder. “Maybe you should stop. We’ll take Isabelle out for a gelato!”

She nodded, closing the journal. Her heart ached for her mother and for her early death. Why couldn’t she have stayed? However, deep in her heart and mind, she knew Laura Bristow had to leave…had to go back. She put the book on the coffee table, standing to get Isabelle ready.

TBC :eek:

I wish for her sake that Syd remembered something from the early years...
even though Syd knows what her mother is and claims to not care
everyone wants their mother's love and acceptance.

Irina is 28

Saturday – April 14, 1979

I returned home this evening from Australia. UCLA sent me to Sydney for a week to study the teaching protocols at their University. It was a conference where Professors from all over the world met to get new ideas on classroom techniques. I was hesitant to go, but Jack insisted since we didn’t have to pay for anything this time. UCLA was paying for everything except for incidentals. Jack said he would take the week off to be with Sydney.

I knew it was important, but I hedged until Jack sat me down and explained it would do me a world of good. He told me that it had been nearly a year since I was at a conference with all expenses paid and that Sydney was old enough to understand why I was going.

“She’s an amazing daughter!” Jack said. “You don’t have to worry about her. We’ll do fine. You go, Laura, it’s another chance for you to see a part of the world we were planning to see before she came along.”

“But we were going together,” I wailed.

He kissed me on the forehead. “Darling, there will be plenty of time for vacations when she’s grown up. Right now, you have the chance. Don’t be foolish. Go! We can take care of ourselves.”

Later when I explained to Sydney, where and why I was going, she patted me on the hand and said, “That’s okay, Mommy. I can take care of Daddy.”

So I went. I completed my mission for them too. A CIA agent stationed at the Embassy in Canberra was found dead on a side street dead of gunshot wound to the head. Everything had been set up by our man at the Russian Embassy. All I had to do was pull the trigger before he realized he’d been put into a trap.

Friday – April 27, 1979

Jack came home upset. He told me that another agent had been killed. The CIA was running a check on KGB agents they knew were in Australia. They actually ran checks on all intelligence agencies and so far, nothing stood out.

“We don’t know if it was a street shooting not even related to his job or something else.”

“Did you know him?” I asked, almost afraid of the answer.

He shook his head, “No. He operated directly out of Langley.”

I’ve got to talk to V about these. If the CIA ever stumbled across the places I’d been when the killings took place, there would be hell to pay. They have to do something to lessen that impact. He agreed to get the message to them.

“Be sure to tell them my effectiveness as an assassin has to be maintained.”

Tuesday – May 1, 1979

I made it to UCLA today in spite of what happened last night. We’re living in a hotel, the Summit, to be exact, which is located in West L.A. Jack and I were drinking. He was morose over the loss of the agent. I’m not sure why since he didn’t know him intimately. Anyway we drank and he put some bread in the toaster at one point. We both forgot it as he kept talking about this agent.

Suddenly the room was filled with smoke. The toaster was on fire! Now how did he do that?

I rushed upstairs to get Sydney while he tried to put out the toaster. By the time I had her in her coat and down the stairs, he’d put out the fire, but smoke was lying heavy in the air.

“We’d better go to a hotel,’ I said, heading for the door with Sydney in my arms.

“I can’t drive,” he said hiccupping. I knew he’d had more than I.

“Give me the keys,” I said grabbing my purse. “Let’s go before we asphyxiate. We can come back tomorrow.”

He stumbled out the door after handing me the keys. A half hour later we’d checked into the small hotel just off Wilshire. The place was clean and didn’t smell like burnt toast.

Later:
Jack called. He went back to the house. It looks like we’ll have to stay at the Summit a few days. Our place will need fumigating or something. We have to have the walls washed and maybe painted. Jack said he’d make the arrangements. I told him we needed clothes and that I would come over after work and pack Sydney and myself some. I suggested while he was there to pack what he would need for the week.

So here we are at a hotel for a few days. I’ll have to let V know where I am.

Wednesday – May 2, 1979

Jack is overseeing the men working on cleaning up our kitchen. Some water leaked into the dining room and the floors have to be re-varnished. He said that we will probably have to stay until Sunday morning.

Sydney told us that she loved it here, because she had a sundae last night and tonight. I suppose she’ll want one every night.

Sunday – May 6, 1979

We came home this morning. The house smelled wonderful. Jack said he used some pine spray after the men finished cleaning last night. The kitchen is spotless and so is the dining room. Sydney is unhappy because last night was her final sundae. I suppose we spoiled her by letting her have one every night, but staying at a hotel in the same room as her parents wasn’t the most fun for her…or us.

I checked the upstairs and found no sign of smoke although I expected some. Jack told me the men did some cleaning up there.

“It was minimal. Most was in the kitchen. Sorry about what happened.” He said.

I put my arms around his neck, smiling. “Darling, I was just as much at fault. I didn’t react either. Too much...” I kissed him lightly. “I love you.”

He nodded. “Me too! You make me so happy, Laura. I’m sorry I brought the office home. I’ll try not to do that again.”

I took his head between my hands, staring into his eyes. “I missed our own bed.”

“Tonight…” he promised softly. “However now I have to go. I told Devlin I would come in to clean up my paperwork.”

Sydney and I went to the beach.

SYDNEY

Sydney paused. She squinted a little as if thinking or remembering. The train to Srinagar in Kashmir was when her parents talked about the toaster. This explained a little more than what they said then. She vaguely remembered the hotel. She wondered if it were still operating. She’d have to check it out when she returned home.

Thursday – June 7, 1979

Sydney’s pre-school teacher called me this morning. She wanted to talk to Jack and me about our smart daughter who just turned four last month. I called Jack who said he would meet me at the school at three.

When I arrived, Jack had beaten me by only a few minutes. “Hello, darling thanks for making it.”

“Slow day.” He took my hand and we entered the school which was a part of the UCLA campus. “What do you suppose she wants?”

“I’m not sure.” I paused at the door of the office and Jack held it open for me.

Inside we met the office secretary who asked us to sit down. She went into the principal’s office. A minute later, she came out and asked us to enter. We took the two chairs across from the woman, whom I’d spoken to several times during the past few months.

“I know you both think this might be trouble, but let me say it’s not. Sydney Bristow is one of our pride and joys. She’s way ahead of the other children. I’m sure that she’s been given opportunities at home to learn at a faster rate.”

I nodded and Jack grinned. We both worked hard with Sydney knowing how smart she was.

“Well then, I wanted to get your permission to do a preliminary IQ test. Ordinarily the schools want to wait until a child has completed a few grades, but in some cases, we do test early.”

I looked at Jack, who took over. “Just what does the test comprise of?”

“Multiple choice answers, some of which are pictures.” She smiled. “I can assure you we would never do anything to hurt her.”

“I know that,” I said. “She’s just turned four.”

In the end we gave our permission. They want to test her some time this summer after school is out and there are no distractions.

Monday – July 16, 1979

I took Sydney to the university today. She is going to be tested with several other children. When I left her saying that I’d be back when they were through. The teacher told me that Sydney was the youngest to be tested. I said I hoped they’d be patient with her. She’s so active I wondered if they’d keep her interested enough to sit for a couple of hours.

I needn’t be worried. Two hours after I left her, Sydney had finished and was reading a book outside the test room. There was a young student teacher with her. She told me Sydney had been fine. She finished her test and waiting here for me. It seems some of the students were still inside finishing up. I was surprised, but gratified that Sydney had been done firstl. I was told we would know the results sometime in August.

Somehow I knew she did well…very well.

Friday – July 27, 1979

We’re going camping up in the Angeles Forest. Jack is taking a few days off to take Sydney and me on our first family camping trip. He said Sydney was old enough and that we’d all have fun. I am in charge of the food and he will do the rest. I told Sydney she was in charge of packing for herself, but that she had to remember we were going to be gone five days up in the mountains somewhere. (Jack hasn’t told me where yet) Sydney promised she would pack carefully.

Tuesday – July 31, 1979

I don’t think we’ll be going camping again soon. What a weekend! It started out just fine, but it only took two days for it to turn bad. The first day was fine. Jack found the place he’d been looking for to stay. It was about a half mile down a trail he said he’d been before when looking for a campsite.

It was quiet and far enough from the road that we wouldn’t hear the traffic or other campers for that matter. Too bad…we should have been closer to the road as it turned out. We drove as far as we could and found a large enough area to park the car after unloading it. The spot Jack had picked as about three hundred yards beyond that point. We set up our camp. It took two trips for each of us to carry our load. I packed a medium-sized cooler with fresh vegetables and meat. Another box held condiments and cereal boxes.

Jack pitched the tent. Fortunately it was warm so that not having blankets wasn’t a problem. Sydney packed her little suitcase. I checked it over and found she’d done a good job: underwear, a couple of tee shirts and pants, socks, a doll, and her two favorite books. We bought her a child’s sleeping bag.

By the time we put up the tent, unrolled our sleeping bags, and put the food away, Sydney could barely hold her eyes open. I made scrambled eggs on a camper’s stove that Jack purchased. He made the coffee. I had some Tang and mixed it for Sydney. She barely ate. I didn’t force her. Instead we put her to bed in her sleeping bag. She didn’t even want us to read to her.

The next morning Jack made what he called flapjacks. They were surprisingly good. Jack took Sydney fishing for which I was grateful. I had to do some preliminary reading for my classes next semester which was coming up in the middle of August. So I made them peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, tossed in two apples, and a canteen of water.

They disappeared for five hours! When they returned Jack had a string of fish—four trout to be exact. Sydney was so excited. She caught one of them. I let her sit on my lap as Jack cleaned the four trout. He said he was going to cook them for dinner. I volunteered to fix potatoes and cook some green beans. Jack told Sydney we were going to have a feast.

The food tasted great. Sydney was tired and went to sleep before eight. Jack and I cleaned up the dishes and pans. We sat together in front of the fire holding hands. It was so relaxing that I was nodding off. Jack pulled me up.

“Time for bed,” he whispered.

The tone in his voice made me look at him sharply. “Jack! Not with Sydney this close!” However, I could feel myself heating up. “Besides we’re in sleeping bags!”

“No problem, we’ll zip the two bags together.” He kissed me. “The challenge is…” He whispered eyes on mine.

“What if she wakes up?”

His hands undid my blouse. He reached behind to my back and unhooked my bra. I swallowed. I glanced at the tent. “How are we going...?”

“Both inside the two sleeping bags. It won’t be a tight fit.” He chuckled softly and kissed both breasts.

My breathing became shallow as I anticipated what would happen. “Ohhhh…”

“You’ll be on top,” he said.

He pulled me inside the tent and we stripped. He slipped inside the bag. I sensed he was already aroused and for that matter, so was I. I kneeled down and then lay on top of him. He pulled the top over us reached out and pulled the zipper as far up as he could.

“Feel me?”

“Of course, you idiot!” Now I was panting.

“Slide down.”

I lifted myself onto my knees, straddling him. Slowly I felt him enter me. We moved back and forth, but not fast. A slow rhythmic pace and I could feel from my core the beginning of an orgasm. I didn’t know if Jack could keep up with a slower pace than he wasn’t accustomed to. I was whimpering with the heat that rose up in me. Suddenly I felt his hand over my mouth.

I came with a rush as he contained the sound. It was no more than a muffled scream. I shook with pleasure washing over me. I kissed him.

“That was sensational,” I murmured. Doing it with your child close by was a challenge, but Jack was right. She was so sound asleep we could have played the radio and she wouldn’t have heard it.

I fell asleep in his arms.

“Mommy! Mommy!”

I thought I was dreaming, but my eyes flew open. Maybe it was a nightmare. “Mommy!”
I looked at the small now empty sleeping bag. Sydney! I rolled out and rushed out the tent.

“SYDNEY!” I screamed. “Where are you?”

“Here! Mommy! I hurt.”

I stood for a moment trying to focus on where she might be. Then I saw the red shirt about a hundred yards away down the slope. “Jack! Jack, wake up. Sydney’s hurt.” I turned and ran toward the red shirt. I made it there in a minute.

Sydney was crying. I bent down and saw that her leg was jammed awkwardly between two large rocks. It was broken. She looked up at me and her eyes widened.

“What happened, sweetheart?”

“I went on a hike, but I fell.” Her eyes widened as she looked at me. “Mommy, you don’t have any clothes on!”

‘That’s because I came when I heard you scream, sweetheart.” I was now aware of my nakedness.

Just then Jack rushed up. He’d take a minute to pull on his pants. “What happened?”

“Her leg is broken I think.”

He looked. “Yes…we have to get her to a hospital.” Then he noticed me. “For God’s sake, Laura, get some clothes on. You don’t want the doctors to see you like that!”

I ran back up to the tent and somehow managed to get dressed. Jack followed shortly with Sydney. He put her gently down in one of the camp chairs. “Take care of her while I finish dressing.”

Two minutes later Jack, carrying Sydney in his arms, went up the trail to the car. I was beside him, holding Sydney’s hand. We covered that three hundred yards in less time than we had earlier. Jack put her in the back seat on my lap. I held her tightly and told him to be careful. It took us a half hour to find a hospital in La Canada, the Behrens Memorial it was called.

It took the doctor only an hour to set her leg and put it in a cast. The break was just above the ankle and would heal in a short time, especially since she was only four. They gave us the follow-up orders for our own doctor and for Sydney. We drove back up the mountain to our campsite. I had to stay with Sydney while Jack packed up our belongings and brought them to the car. I wanted to help, but he said no that our child couldn’t stay alone. Sydney was very brave.

When we got home, we left everything in the car. Jack carried Sydney into her room and I got her ready for bed.

After she fell asleep, Jack and I went downstairs and had a drink. Both of us were starving as well as exhausted, so I fixed us a sandwich to go with our drinks. We went to bed and slept hard. I vowed not to go camping again. It was too dangerous.

Tuesday – August 14, 1979

Jack is out of town. I received a phone call this morning. The test facility at UCLA has completed their evaluation of the IQ test Sydney took a month ago. They asked me to come in for an explanation of the findings. I told them my husband was away on business, but they said it would be all right. They want to see me this afternoon. Fortunately I finished my class preparation for the new semester which begins on next Monday so I could spare the time. I brought Sydney with me.

I’m in shock. Sydney tested at 170. Genius level. I knew she was smart like me, but didn’t think she was my equal. Still she’s only four plus. What lies ahead for her I have no idea, but the potential is high according to the evaluator I spoke with. I know Jack is going to be proud. He’ll probably bust ‘his buttons’.

Monday – September 10, 1979

Thanks goodness, Sydney had her cast removed today. It was practically in tatters. The doctor put on the walker two weeks ago and she’s been charging around as though she’d never broken her leg. X-rays showed excellent healing so the doctor put on another walking cast, but said she’d only have wear it for another month.

Jack and I have been at our wits end some days. Sydney Anne does not like to be confined. I know she was upset she had to have another one, but I promised her we’d do something special if she wore the cast without complaining. She is very active and loves sports at school. The cast is a huge hindrance and she thought she’d have it off for good.

Now Jack and I have to come up with something spectacular.

Monday – October 4, 1979

Sydney’s cast came off for good. I had to take her home and bathe her as the leg was dirty. I rubbed the leg and old skin came sloughing off leaving pink skin underneath. Sydney was bouncing around like a rubber ball.

“Can I run?”

“Yes,” I said.

“Can I jump?”

“Of course. Remember the doctor said your leg would be twice as strong where you broke it.” I grabbed her and toweled her off. “Now go to your room and put on fresh clothes. Your father will be home soon.”

The child is amazing and there are times when I cannot believe she is my child, my heart.

SYDNEY AND VAUGHN

“Gee…I don’t remember that!” Sydney said, staring at the pages of the journal.

“What don’t you remember?” Vaughn asked.

“UCLA tested my IQ when I was four. Mom says here that they said my IQ was 170.”

Vaughn whistled. “Wow, that’s high!” He took her hand in his. “We leave tomorrow. Have you packed?”

“Yes, most of it, anyway. Don’t worry sweetheart, I’ll be ready.” She turned back to the journal. Sydney hoped she’d finish through 1981 when her mother supposedly had the accident that took her life. However she didn’t think so.

Friday – November 23, 1979

I am in shock. I went shopping today for an anniversary gift for Jack and to do some early Christmas shopping. I decided to try to find something special for my wonderful husband, so drove to Beverly Hills. Sydney was with me as it was a holiday: the day after Thanksgiving which is the actual holiday, but we celebrate for four days! Extraordinary!

I parked at the Beverly Hills Hotel. I told Sydney I would take her to lunch in a very grown up place if she was good and didn’t stray or cause me trouble. I swear the girl is four and a half going on sixteen!

I was standing at a counter looking at some men’s jewelry. Sydney had her nose pressed up against the glass looking at everything.

“What a beautiful child.” The voice was low with a slight accent.

The voice caused me to freeze. I was in shock and couldn’t breathe. I was holding Sydney by my left hand and felt her turn and look at the woman. I swallowed hard, feeling my heart begin to beat fast, and turned to look at her also.

I blinked as tears began to form in my eyes. My sister! My wonderful, beloved Katya… she was here…in the store…standing next to Sydney.

“I’m four and a half,” said Sydney and she smiled, but held my hand.

“Well, you look older,” said Katya.

“My name is Sydney Anne Bristow.”

“I am pleased to meet you, Miss Bristow. My name is…” she stood looking at me.

I jumped in before she could finish. “She’s Katherine, a lady I met at one of my seminars last year.”

“Pleased to meet you, Katherine,” said Sydney.

“How are you?” I reached over with my right hand to shake hers.

“Fine.” Her dark eyes met mine, amusement dancing in them. “I’m here in Los Angeles as a tourist. I thought I recognized you, so took a chance you would remember me.”

“I would never forget you.” I smiled. “How long are you going to be here?”

“I leave tonight.”

My heart skipped a beat. “Really? I would think you would stay awhile. The weather, for November, is wonderful.”

“I know, but I’m actually on my way to the Orient via Hawaii. I’m sure I’ll get even warmer there.”

“How’s your school?” I was thinking about them.

“Fine.” Katya bent down to Sydney’s level. “Do you go to school?”

“Yes! I go to UCLA!”

Katya’s eyebrows rose as she stood back up. “UCLA? My goodness…at four and a half?”

“It’s the university’s pre-school.” I hastily explained. “Listen, I need to get this gift for my husband. It’s our anniversary tomorrow. Would you like to come to the house later and maybe have some tea or coffee and talk then?” I took out one of my cards, scribbled the address on it and handed it to her. “Take a taxi. They’ll know where to bring you.”

Katya laughed because she could see I was desperate to talk to her, but couldn’t because Sydney was there. I knew I could put my daughter down for a nap after we walked back to our car. This time I wouldn’t carry her when she got tired.

Katya nodded and then looked at Sydney whose eyes never left my sister. “Sydney Anne Bristow, it has been a pleasure.” She shook Sydney’s hand, turned and left.

“Oh Mommy, she was a nice lady.”

“She is, sweetheart, a very nice lady. Now let’s get back to doing what we were here to do…a present for your father.”

I bought Jack a pair of diamond cuff links and matching tie-clip. I’d been saving for these for awhile. Then Sydney and I walked to the food court where she and I shared a taco salad for lunch. By the time we walked to the car, which was parked a couple of blocks away, she was yawning. I wasn’t worried. She would be asleep as soon as her head hit her pillow.

Katya arrived two hours after we’d met in the store. I had put Sydney down, put a kettle of water on to boil, and put cups and saucers on the breakfast table. I’d finished making sure the kitchen looked presentable when I saw the taxi stop outside. When Katya approached the door, I opened it, pulling her quickly inside and holding her. Both of us were crying softly.

I stood back first, holding her hand, led the way to the kitchen. I saw her looking around in mild astonishment. Our living room was as big as our home had been. I indicated the chair and then prepared our tea. I added a plate of cookies.

“Sydney?” She asked.

“Asleep, but I’ll need to check on her to be sure. She was very tired. I made her walk to the car.” I put my hand on hers. “I’ve thought of you a millions times since I left home.”

“I too, Rishka…”

“No, call me Laura.” I squeezed her hand. “I never think about my name, my real name.”

Katya sipped her tea. “Sorry…”

“I’m going to check on Sydney. Do you want to come with me to see the rest of our home?” I wait for her to stand up. “Just be quiet.”

She stood and followed me up the stairs. I showed her the rooms and bathrooms. Then we stopped in Sydney’s room. Katya stayed in the hallway as I moved to Sydney’s bed. As I thought she was sound asleep. I couldn’t let her sleep too long though or she’d want to stay up late. After making sure she was covered, I motioned Katya to return downstairs.

“Your home is incredible.” Katya said as we sat down again. “My apartment would fit in your living room and kitchen.”

I shrugged. “I can imagine.”

Katya sipped some more tea. “They are concerned.”

I stiffened every so slightly. “Why? I’ve done everything they’ve asked of me.”

“You’ve been here eight years. They feel that it’s too long. You may be becoming too… umm…Americanized. I think they are afraid you will become a double agent.”

“Never! I am loyal.”

“Laura, be careful. I know you are a loyal patriot, but you are exhibiting signs of loving your home and family. That’s dangerous in their minds.”

“Don’t worry.” I placed my hand over hers. "My loyalty is to the motherland.”

“So you would leave?”

“When my work is finished.” I stared straight into her eyes. “Do you know why I was sent here?”

Katya shook her head. “No, they are tight-mouthed.”

“See? I’ve been sending them the information they wanted. They have to be patient. Jack is fine-tuning his protocols. Tell them that.”

Katya nodded. “If they ask.”

“Where do you go from here?”

“Hawaii, Japan, and then to Vlady.”

“Is our sister still there?”

“No, she’s back home. She’s an archivist for them now. Very important position…a keeper of secrets. I’ve only spoken to her a couple of times. She lives by herself a couple of kilometers nearer to them.”

“I’ll bet she never mentions me,” I said.

“On the contrary, she is extremely interested in your life. Do you know that Milo Rambaldi is high on the acquisition list? She has spoken to me several times about the information you have provided them with about him.”

“Really?” Now I was suspicious. Yelena in charge of Rambaldi information and clues. That was not something I wanted to hear.

We continued talking about our work, couched in general terms, and about our lives. Katya had not married either. She was fond of men and what they could provide her with---sex, but not interested in marriage or family. She made many friends and was now a Captain. Her job was not dangerous or particularly challenging, but that was not what she wanted. She had been assigned to be their liaison agent between Embassies and Consulates. She obviously did her job well. She loved the travel and doing the job precluded her having a family.

The time raced and before we knew it, it was time for her to go. I called for a taxi. It arrived within ten minutes. We stood together at the door. Hugging and then kissing each other on the cheeks, the familiar way we’d grown up to. Moments later, Katya was out the door…gone from my life again.

I miss her already and crying as I write this.

SYDNEY AND KATYA

Sydney dialed the number her aunt had given her. She waited patiently and after the sixth ring, Katya answered.

“Hello?”

“Katya…it’s me.”

“Sydney! How are you? Have you enjoyed Florence?”

“Yes immensely. I’m keeping this apartment as a second home. We both love it here and so does Isabelle.”

“I’m glad. Your mother would be pleased. Florence was her favorite city outside Russia.”

“Listen the reason I’m calling is that I’ve been reading her journals and the last entry I read was one in 1979, just before their anniversary. You came to visit?”

There was a moment of silence. “Yes! I didn’t have much time to spend, but we managed an hour or so.”

“She never mentioned it, even when she was at the CIA.”

“Perhaps she thought you remembered.”

“No, but I wish I did. Were you sent to check up on her?” Sydney had been curious.

There was a moment’s pause. “Yes! I didn’t tell Rishka that it was Yelena who was more interested than the higher ups! I think she assumed it was the operations directorate that wanted to know more about her status.”

“I was curious, so thanks. We’re leaving tomorrow morning for home.”

“Taking the trunk?”

“Not all of it. Did you know she had a small secret room here?”

“No! She never mentioned it.”

“Well, I wondered why she had one built. There’s a library in there with a chair, desk, and a light.”

“Perhaps she knew she wouldn’t be interrupted and could read in peace.” Katya explained.

“Yes, well then I’m leaving the journals I’ve read. I’ve taken the financial papers and secured them in a bank vault. Did you make arrangements about the gold bars?”

“Yes, they are now safe in a bank close to wherever she had them stored.”

“Good, that’s a relief.”

“What time is your flight?”

“Ten. We’re flying to Milan and from there, home. I have your numbers memorized. We’ll be in touch. I love you, Katya, in spite of our rough beginning.”

Katya laughed, “Yes, it was a bit sticky there for awhile. I love you too and I love that little girl.” She said nothing about how much Isabelle looked like her grandmother at the same age. “Have a safe trip. I’ll be in touch.”

“Ditto.” Sydney hung up, feeling secure in the knowledge that Katya was an ally and not an enemy.

TBC ^_^

I didn't like Katya's character while watching Alias, I wonder how her final portrayal will be in your story. I always expect a twist from her :thinking: Thank you for the long update.

Yeah, it's really big! And that's great!!! I read it only untill *Friday – July 27, 1979*, but i loved what i read there!!! Perfect as always. I also like Katya calling Irina Rishka. That's so cute! (The name Irina follows me everywhere now), i've 4 best friends named like that, so had to pick a tender name for each of them: Yrishka, Irusik, Yrysha, Yrunya... LOL
Thanx for the PM, Bev:smiley:

It's nice to see the family side of Katya. I loved the family camping trip scene.
and the explanation of the burnt toaster.
Thanks for the pm.

Sydney Derevko Bristow:
I wonder how her final portrayal will be in your story. I always expect a twist from her
Katya is happy with her present role as CFO of Derevko money. She and Sydney are managing their relationship well. She adores little Isabelle, because she reminds her of Irina when she was little. :angelic:

MariaPurt wrote:
I also like Katya calling Irina Rishka.
I want to give credit to another writer for this on another site. I liked it better than others I'd heard or read.
-_-

texasalias2004 wrote:
I can't beleive that Sydney didn't remember, but I guess it was project Christmas.
It was, but as she goes thru the journals she will remember some of the bits and pieces missing. ^_^

:cool:

Irina_Derevko_Bristow wrote:
I really wish the show had done more with katya's character they just dropped her character like she didn't exists anymore.

Yes I would have enjoyed that too, but at least Jack promised to get her released out of Federal Prison if she would help them find Irina after he learned she wasn't dead. :angry:

Irina is 29

April 17, 1980

Today is Sydney’s 5th birthday. A month ago, I found a first edition of Alice in Wonderland at an estate sale in Pasadena. I don’t know why people don’t take time to research what they are selling, but the sellers thought it was just a children’s book their mother had hung onto for several years. I decided to get it for Sydney. It cost me $3.00. I almost cried, but not in front of them. The book was in excellent condition. The original dust cover was missing, but still it was a first edition.

I took it to a book seller in Westwood. He confirmed that it was a first edition and it could stand some cleaning by a book binder, but I declined. He asked me what I paid for it I declined telling him that. No use him crying too!

I put a sheet of paper inside and wrote “To Sydney, on her fifth birthday. Mom”

She wanted to know about the paper and I explained that it was a valuable book. It was a first edition and worth a great deal of money. She promised to take very good care of it all her life.

Thursday – May 15, 1980

I’m in Athens for a conference. The administration at UCLA has given me tenure at the university. They sent me on this conference as, I think, a reward. The weather is perfect, low 80’s and the skies are a vivid blue. When I told V I was going, he naturally came up with another mission. They suspect there is a deep cover mole in their own organization. They have decided to eliminate the perceived problem and not wait for something to happen. This is the second time I’ve had to get rid of their problem. Why don’t they check these people out more carefully?

I am staying at the Magna Grecia Hotel, just below the Acropolis and in the Plaka district. The convention is at the Amazon Hotel close by. Evidently it has the facilities for a large number of people. I love this smaller hotel and am so happy that I chose it. The place is filled with other teachers here to attend the various seminars and workshops. I’m not presenting either or participating in one. I’m here to listen and learn.

After unpacking I checked out the facility. There is a roof garden with a spectacular view of the Acropolis. The room directly below is one where breakfast is served. The hotel also has a café bar, but no dining facility. I’m sure we will be elsewhere in the city for that meal. It has room service if needed also. Each room has a radio and television, a telephone, mini bar and safe box. All in all it is a good hotel even though smaller than most of them.

When I finished my exploring, I went to the check in desk to ask about any mail. Sure enough I had a letter in my box. It directed to me the nearest post office. There was a key inside the letter which would open Box 313. I went directly there and found another letter which told me to go to a certain store. I would be picking up two large shopping bags. I knew they would contain my clothes and weapons.

Once back in my room, I re-read the second letter which told me the name of my target and where he would be the next two nights. I would pick which night to complete my mission. Tonight everyone was on their own. I took out my convention information. In two nights there would be a banquet held at the Acropolis. It was billed as a spectacular event and I’d signed up for it. It looked like I would have to complete my mission tomorrow.

According to the information, the object of my mission would be dining at a restaurant in the Plaka district, located just below the Acropolis and just three blocks from this hotel. I looked at his picture, memorizing his features. His name was Vlassis Stelios and he was a member of the Greek Communist Party, which still flourished in a small way. However they were a vital link between the two countries.

I opened the shopping bags. It contained a pair of brown baggy trousers, boots, Greek fisherman’s cap, a baggy fleece lined jacket vest, and loose blouse. I would have to put up my hair under the cap. I looked into the other bag. There were two guns: a .38 revolver and a Glock 17. Stelios would not be at the restaurant until ten, so I had plenty of time to get something to eat. Restaurants didn’t usually open until seven and the real dinner hour was between eight and ten.

My meal was eaten at the Amazon with friends I knew. We ate early because we’d just landed. Everyone decided to either turn in or go for a walk. I decided on the latter. I wanted to look around the area of the café where Stelios would be the next night. According to the information I received he was going to be at a café called Peristeri which was in the neighborhood. It was a working class café and one Stelios wouldn’t be afraid of being seen in.

A friend I’d met at one of these meetings agreed to take a walk. I suggested we wander up toward the Acropolis which was almost close enough to touch. My travel guide said that we could walk all the way up to the top from the Plaka side of the historic site. It was cooling down so we decided to wander around, but go as far as the forest.

We zigzagged around the area always going up. We passed the taverna I was looking for and thought it was interesting. I saw that there were tables across the street in front of the entrance to a parking garage. I said nothing but my friend said it looked quaint. We moved up toward the Acropolis and stopped short of the place where the forest began. We turned around heading back to the hotel.

Friday – May 16, 1980

Christ, I was nearly killed tonight.

The day was spent sightseeing with the tours set up by the conference. First the bus tour of the city in the morning and in the afternoon, we went to the Acropolis. Fortunately it was not hot yet, but still in the low 80s. There was a breeze at the top and it made the walking tour pleasant. There were wild flowers everywhere. Our guide said that they soon would be gone, some withered by the sun and others by the lack of water.

Our guide was Teresa Mitsopoulou who is a well known archeologist and author too. She is a licensed guide at the Acropolis and has been one since 1954. She was fascinating to listen too as she described the buildings, especially the Parthenon which is the largest building on the rock. It is immense and awe-inspiring. She explained some of her theories about the relationship of the Greeks to the Chinese. I’m sure I could have spent more time with her and many others did too. She doesn’t do the tour on a regular basis but because we were at a teaching conference, she was hired. I think everyone tipped her at least $10. We didn’t finish the tour until nearly six p.m. just before the area was closed. This was probably the best tour I’ve taken on any of my conference trips.

I hurried to my room to rest. I made no plans to have dinner with anyone because of what I planned to do later. I actually slept until eight. I put on the man’s clothes and left the hotel by the rear entrance, seeing no one. The taverna was only a few blocks away. There were a number of people walking and eating outside. The weather was a bit cooler but pleasant.

I located the parking garage and was gratified to see that it was minimally lighted. Evidently it had only daytime usage, because the tables for the Peristeri were set across the entrance. The lighting on the street was not bright by any means, although there were two or three lights on the outside of the garage that made the tables easily seen.

My employers had given me the address of Stelios’ home as well as the taverna’s, so I did have options. I decided to have dinner and found an empty table as far as I could from my target. I ordered roast chicken, potatoes and ouzo. The waiter paid very little attention to me, grunting as he wrote my order down and left. I was sitting in shadow so my features were not easily seen and I kept my voice in its lower register.

Stelios was with another man whom I was told was a member of the Party. He was the one who told them Stelios was a spy for the Americans…CIA probably. He had been instructed to bring my target to this restaurant. He did not know who or how or even if Stelios would be killed here. The two men were enjoying a drink and their dinner. My food was brought to the table within minutes.

I ate quickly and noticed the men were getting ready to leave. I’d paid for my food when the waiter brought it, so I could leave anytime. They wandered up the street talking animatedly. I slipped away from the table, staying in the darkness next to the buildings. In a few hundred meters, we were in darkness. I could see the two men ahead of me. They were heading toward the forest or at least it seemed so.

Taking out my .38, I screwed in the silencer. I didn’t plan on an up-close kill. I wanted to change the M.O. on this one to make it seem less than an intentional assassination. The Greek Communist Party had many enemies on the right and middle line of politicians, so I wanted it seem more of a political shooting than an outright assassination.

The two men stopped and one seemed to berate the other. I stepped into a doorway where I could watch. Suddenly one man shouted what seemed to an obscenity and left. The other was Stelios, who seemed shocked by his companion’s wrath. He turned and walked a few more paces up the street shaking his head. I hurried toward him, my gun held at my side. He stopped and looked back, his eyes spotting me. For some reason, he started to run.

I was surprised, but didn’t hesitate. I wanted him dead tonight. I knew he was about ten years older and about a hundred pounds heavier. It would not take me long to overtake him. However he ran toward the forest. I fired on the run. He returned fire. felgercarb, I thought, he was armed. I knew I had to get closer because I was an excellent shot with a hand gun, but not at fifty yards.

I began to close in on him. He turned again and fired. I felt a sharp pain in my left arm, but didn’t stop. I was finally close enough to stop, take aim with both hands on the gun and fire. He stumbled, almost falling. I closed more ground on him. He tried to keep the trees between him and me, but I knew I’d hit him. I needed to keep him in sight. Stelios stumbled again, clutching at a tree to prevent him from falling. I gained another five yards and fired again. The bullet caught him in the shoulder and he turned around, his arms flailing and fell to the ground. I saw his gun fly out of his hand.

Stelios was on the ground trying to scramble away from me when I caught up with him. He cried out something in Greek. I took dead aim and shot him in the forehead. He jerked once and fell still. I bent over him, my fingers feeling for the artery along his right jaw. No pulse…he was dead. Job completed.

Now I began to feel the pain in my left upper arm. I had to get back to the hotel and find out how bad it was. It took me a half hour to make my way to the rear entrance. Glancing at my watch I saw it was almost midnight. In light from the hallway lamp, I saw blood on my shirt. I must avoid being seen by anyone so I took the stairs to my room on the third floor.

Once inside I tore off my clothes. The bullet did not penetrate my arm. It evidently had just sliced thru a couple of layers of skin. I went into the bathroom and cleaned the wound thoroughly. I used a small hand towel to wrap around my arm. I took a couple of Tylenol and went to bed. Tomorrow morning I would have find some place that sold bandages. What would I tell Jack?

Saturday – May 17, 1980

I slept fairly well considering the wound, but it was minor. I asked the concierge if there was a pharmacy close by as I needed some things. He gave me directions, but said it would not open until about nine. I thanked him and had breakfast. I was going to miss a part of a seminar I’d signed up for, but I had to get the wound taken care of. Thirty minutes after breakfast I was at the pharmacy. Inside there were several items I needed and purchased.

The wound had seeped some, but was beginning to heal. I cleansed it with alcohol, put some medication on the bandage, and covered it. I wasn’t going to worry yet about what to tell Jack, but one thing I do know I am not going to keep it a secret. That would only cause problems.

I think I was very lucky it was not worse.

Later:
The conference was excellent—at least the seminars I attended today. I met a woman who was Greek and a member of the organizing committee. I congratulated her on a job well done. I knew her political beliefs were as a Communist. She thanked me, but was not too happy.

“What’s wrong,” I said.

“A friend of mine was killed last night.”

:”Oh I’m so sorry for your loss. Was he a very good friend? What happened?”

“No, but he worked for the Party. We will miss him. He was found shot up in the forest in the Plaka district. The police think he was chased there and then killed, shot twice.”

I squeezed her arm and went on to speak to others on the committee. I wondered if the Party here would be informed the man was a double agent for the CIA…probably not if I knew them.

I went to the special dinner at the Acropolis. It seems the government likes to rent out one area for these occasions. The food has to be brought up Apostolou Pavlou and the caterers then present it on tables in the buffet style. The weather was perfect just cool enough to wear jackets. We were brought to the bus parking lot and then we walked up to the Parthenon and to the area for dinner.

Surprise…our guest speaker was Teresa Mitsopoulou! She was spectacular, especially in this setting.

I returned to the hotel and re-bandaged my wound.

Monday – May 19, 1980

I returned today from Greece. Emily Sloane picked me up from LAX. She said Jack had to work after he dropped Sydney off at UCLA for school. I gave her a hug, thanking her for coming. She said it was her pleasure. She took me home, helped me with my bags and then left. She knew I was tired from the long, long flight with a stop-over in Paris and one in New York. I knew I wasn’t going to be teaching today, so went to bed after throwing off my clothes. Sometimes I cannot sleep on airplanes and this was one of them.

Jack came home early. He picked up Sydney. They both came charging up the stairs to find me still in bed asleep, but not for long. Sydney bounced up on the bed crying, “Mommy, Mommy. You’re home.”

“Hello darling,” Jack said, bending down and kissing me. He tasted like onions.

“Hummm, I think you had onions for lunch.”

“Yeah, on my burger.” He sat down. “How was your trip?”

“Wonderful! Jack, Athens was beautiful and I don’t know when I’ve enjoyed myself so much.”

“I’m glad you took time. Haven’t I always said you should spend more time when you visit these cities? I’ve seen several of your cities too and wish my job allowed me to spend more time there. One of these days, darling, we’ll take time to go.”

“Can I go too, Daddy?” Sydney was excited.

Jack laughed. “Right now Mommy and Daddy are busy raising you.”

Sydney sighed with a resigned air. She sat back in a kneeling position. “Oooh Mommy,” cried Sydney. “You have a boo-boo!”

I laughed. “Yes, Mommy does. She slipped and fell against a stone up on the Acropolis. It ruined my jacket and the blouse.”

Jack pulled my arm to look at it. “Healing okay. Did it hurt?”

“Like the dickens, but I washed it, put some alcohol on it, took some Tylenol, and now it’s almost healed. I don’t think there’ll be any scarring.”

“Can I kiss it to make it well?” Sydney leaned in to get a better look.

I chuckled. “Oh course, sweetheart.”

She did and looked pleased. “All well soon.”

I looked at Jack. “I missed you. Tonight?”

He smiled. “I don’t see why not. Now, suppose we go out to dinner. I’m sure you are not ready to cook for us, are you?”

“No and thank you. You two leave and I’ll get dressed.”

Saturday – August 16, 1980

This was a very big weekend. Jack had purchased tickets to Disneyland. None of us had been there, but one of his agent friends said Jack ought to take Sydney there. It was a wonderful amusement park.

I must say it was absolutely delightful. It was filled with vacationers and an unlimited amount of children. I think both Sydney and I were astounded by the castle and the stores and the rides. Of course, Sydney was five and tall for her age so she easily passed the bar test...that meant she was tall enough to go on the rides. We took in all the sights, sounds and people. Sydney loved the teacup ride especially as Jack managed to make us all dizzy by making our cup whirl the fastest.

By the time the day was over, Sydney and I were exhausted. I have to confess I enjoyed the outing immensely. I hoped we’d come back again soon. I didn’t want to plan anything though since being extracted was always uppermost in my mind.

Monday – August 25, 1980

Sydney was moved to the 1st grade today. The teaching staff said that her testing last summer and her continued improvement of her social interaction meant she was outdistancing the other children of her age. She is a bit taller than they are too, so moving a grade up wouldn’t cause problems. Sydney’s concern was those she’d made friends with the year before. I told her she would make more friends in the next grade and that she should not worry.

“But I don’t want them to think I’m stuck up!”

I laughed lightly. “I’m sure, Sydney, you won’t be seen that way. You will see them in the play yard. You can continue your friendships.” I gave her a hug.

“All right, Mommy.”

My own class schedule began today at the University and I wanted to be there earlier than usual because V said he was coming by. I left her after giving her a kiss and hurried to the Liberal Arts building where I would see him. I didn’t like it that he was coming onto the campus. He’s also sounded worried and that wasn’t like him.

Later:

V arrived at 8:00, just a half hour before my students entered. There was not much time to talk.

“What’s going on,” I asked.

“They want you to come home.”

I didn’t move, but I also didn’t react. I knew the day was coming. “Any good reason?”

“They think your job is done.”

“I’ve sent them everything. Surely they realize Jack’s progress is near the end. Any day now he could have a group of children ready for the trials.”

“I don’t think they care. They have most of it.”

My heart was racing and my mind raced trying to think of a way to stop this idiocy. “Do they have the latest Rambaldi information regarding the whereabouts of his original manuscript?” I stood, glancing at the clock knowing my students would soon be entering the doors.

“What?”

“You heard me. There is a manuscript somewhere the MOR has hidden and it reveals most of his secrets. Arvin Sloane told me about it just yesterday. Get in touch and find out if they want to know more or if they still want me home. Now leave before anyone sees you.”

V hurried out the door. I sat down again confident the order to come home would not be forthcoming.

Friday - August 29, 1980

Today is my afternoon with Sydney. I’ve decided to drive to the beach for a couple of hours after work. Sydney and I have come to the point of having a ‘girls’ afternoon off’ and Jack has to take a back seat which he has agreed too since the end of the week is usually busy. Fridays are a good day because it’s end of my teaching week and the end of Sydney’s school week.

I found a parking place near our favorite spot. Sydney carried her towel and small case in which she had some lotion, comb and thongs. She changed into her swim suit at school so when I picked her up she was ready. I’d changed into my bikini in my office, wearing a robe over it when I went to pick her up. I’ve long since ignored the whistles that came from the male students as I walked to my car.

Now we crossed the sand, heading toward the water. It was the beginning of Labor Day weekend and traffic was heavy along PCH behind us. I was lucky to get a parking place. Sydney ran ahead and found a spot at the crest of the sand before it dipped toward the rolling waves.

I put the canvas square down and then the large towel on top. Sydney then put her towel down next to me. I removed my robe and sat down on beach chair. She followed sitting cross-legged next to me. We both were quiet for a few minutes, watching the waves and the people on the beach.

“You are very pretty, Mommy.”

I blinked and looked at her in surprise. It was the first time she’d ever said anything like that to me when we were alone. “Why thank you, Sydney. Just between you and me, I think you are very pretty too.”

She turned, cocking her head, and stared at me from top to bottom with her very dark grown up eyes. “You’re an adult. I’m just a kid. I have a lot of growing to do. How do you know I’ll be pretty when I’m old?”

I could see how serious she was and so very perceptive. “Well, suppose, for now, we say you are pretty for a young lady of five. We’ll take each year as it comes and do another assessment then.”

“What is ‘assessment’?”

“It means we’ll look you over and make a judgment based on what we see.”

“Oh!” She studied me for a full minute and then turned back to watch the ocean.

I wondered if I would even be here next year.

Tuesday – September 2, 1980

When I got to my office at the University, there was a note on my desk which stated ‘Call Val’. I knew it was Valenko, but what did the secretary think? I sighed and decided to call on my lunch hour.

It was 11:45 a.m. when I called V at his office. He told me that they were letting me stay in order to get information about Rambaldi. Jack’s information was secondary now. They had become enamored of the Italian with the incredible secrets that were so far ahead of his time as to be one of the most puzzling mysteries. I was glad. It meant I would be able to stay longer.

Friday – October 10, 1980

I can’t believe it happened, but Sydney threw a tantrum in the market this evening. I mean it was the most embarrassing moment of my life…here. She wanted me to buy her some lipstick! Lipstick? I was dumbstruck. When I told her no, she threw herself down on the ground, kicking and screaming that I didn’t love her.

I grabbed her arms and pulled her up. I left my basket with the few items I’d picked up and putting my purse over my arm, strode out of the market. I opened the car, put her in the seat, and buckled her in. I said nothing, but drove home as angry as I’d ever been with her.

This was not going to be easy, but I was not going to be put in that situation ever again. I unbuckled her and then carried her inside, up the stairs to her room. I still said nothing. She could see I was angry. I took off her clothes. I put her pajamas on, pulled down the blanket and shoved her under them.

“Sydney Anne that was the most childish act I’ve ever seen you do. It seems you are not as grown up as we thought. What in the world made you do what you did! That was disgraceful.” I kept my voice stern. “You embarrassed me and your father by your behavior.”

She began to cry. “B-b-but Bobby said you could always get what you wanted by doing that!”

“Who is Bobby?” I sat on the edge of her bed.

“He-he’s a boy at school. He said he got everything by doing that!” Tears tumbled over her cheeks.

“I see! Did you get what you wanted?”

“N-n-no!”

“Why did you want a lipstick?” I was curious because the request had been so odd.

“So I could be pretty like you.”

My heart gave a lurch. “Sydney, we talked about this before. You will grow up and every year we will make a judgment. Now I am going to tell your father about this. I’m sure he’ll be as disappointed in you as I am.” I stood. “You will have to be punished and this is it…going to bed without your supper.”

“Oh Mommy, do you have to—to tell?” She hiccoughed. She wasn’t worried about missing supper.

“Yes, but he’ll come up to see you before we go to bed.” I paused at the door. “There will be no radio or television for a week.” I left. I knew Jack would back me up on this one. She won’t do this again, I’m sure.

Thanksgiving
Thursday – November 27, 1980

We had dinner with the Sloanes, Vaughns and Dilworths. Bill Vaughn and Jim Dilworth were agents and friends of Jack and Arvin. It makes me somewhat nervous because I never know when I’m going to be called upon to kill an enemy. Going to funerals is difficult at best, but to go to one to grieve with the family is worse.

However the dinner went off pleasantly. Sydney had a bad cold and we paid an exorbitant baby sitting fee to a student of mine to stay with our daughter. I was glad it was not anything serious. Still Sydney had been not sick too often so it was always a surprise when she picked up a bug and came home ill.

After dinner, we went to the living room for coffee and pie. It wasn’t long before Bill and Arvin were talking about Rambaldi. Evidently Arvin had a friend within the CIA who was as interested as he was. I decided not to enter into the conversation, but sat close to Jack as the two men tried to peel away the mystery surrounding the Italian scientist. Bill even told me something I had not heard. There was a group of people in the world who believed Rambaldi was seer…a psychic and they were involved in hiding all his manuscripts and artifacts they could.

“They call themselves the Magnificent Order of Rambaldi—MOR and they wear a tattoo someplace on their body to identity their membership.” Bill took out his pen and a small notebook. He drew a symbol. “It looks like this.”

<0>

We all looked at it. I said nothing, but frowned. I’d seen it before…somewhere on someone, but whom?

Jack sighed. I think he was bored by this. I saw Ginny, Mrs. Vaughn, roll her eyes and look at Emily who smiled thinly. The Dilworths looked bored also. It was obvious that they did not understand the two men’s passion. I was equally interested, but knew enough not to get involved at a dinner party. Jack was not interested and, although he listened politely, he too made no comments.

“How long has the MOR people existed?” I asked because I was trying to remember still where I’d seen that symbol.

“Centuries. The membership is handed down to new believers and there are numerous people from every country and walks of life who feel that Rambaldi still has not revealed his most important secrets.

Emily stood. “That’s enough, Arvin. I’m putting the coffee on and you can help me with dessert.”

He rose quickly and followed her out. I had another piece of information to pass on to them.

Tuesday – December 23, 1980

Jack called this afternoon from overseas. He’s been there a week on a job. From his tone I knew he was going to tell me he wouldn’t be home for Christmas. felgercarb! Sydney made him promise to be home and he said he would. Now I had to tell her he wouldn’t be.

There are times I wish…

Wednesday – December 24, 1980

I told Sydney this morning that her Daddy was not going to be home. She stared at me for a long time and said nothing. I watched her eat her cereal, or at least try. It wasn’t long before I saw a tear trickle down her cheeks.

“Finish your breakfast, Sydney; then we’ll have a talk.”

We sat together on the sofa. I put my arm around her. “It’s Daddy’s job, honey. He’s a very important man in the government. They need him to finish the job. He was very disappointed that he couldn’t be here with us.”

“But does the government make all their people work on Christmas?” Her dark eyes searched mine for the answer.

“Not many…only the most important people. Why, even the President is working.”

“Is Daddy as important as the President?” She seemed awestruck by the thought.

“I think so.” I stood up. “I have to deliver Christmas presents. Do you want to help me?”

‘Yes!” She jumped up. “Can I play Santa?”

LATER:
Tonight I thought I was in hell.

Anticipating Sydney’s excitement for the next day, Christmas, I did everything I could to wear her out. By the time we had a light supper, Sydney’s eyes were drooping when I took her to bed. I read her a Christmas story and kissed her goodnight. I came downstairs to put out a few of her gifts under the tree, read…and to think. I was uneasy and I didn’t know why. I felt as though my life was about to change and not for the better.

I was staring into the fireplace when I heard a noise from upstairs. I thought it was Sydney. Glancing at the clock I saw that it was a little after ten. She ought to be fast asleep by now. I went upstairs to her room. The night light was on and as I gazed toward the bed, my breath caught and my heart almost stopped. There was someone standing next to her bed. My body tensed and I went into a protection mode. Whoever it was, they would not leave the room alive.

“She is a beautiful child, Irina.” The voice made me hesitate and I felt as though a cold hand was clutching my heart. I had not heard my true name spoken for ten years.

“Yelena,” I gasped. “Wh—what are you doing here?” The words ended with my voice nearly squeaking. “How did you get in?”

“I came to see you. I used a pick while you were gone to open the back door” Yelena moved around the end of the bed. She had a gun in one hand held to her side. She looked at Sydney. “She reminds me of you when you were that age.” Her voice did not sound pleasant.

“What do you want?” I whispered as I came closer. I had to get her out of this room before Sydney awoke.

‘To talk.” She snapped.

“About what?” I tugged on her arm.

“Coming home.” She answered and held the gun on me.

The cold hand clutched at my throat this time. “Why? I’ve been getting the information they want. My other missions have never failed.” I motioned her out of the room, away from Sydney.

She paused at the doorway, looking back at my daughter. “It would be too bad if something were to happen to her….and to your husband. Perhaps you should re-think your priorities…and your loyalties.”

“I have been loyal!” I hissed, starting down the stairs. I wanted her out of my home. “I’ve done more than what they asked.”

“Those piddling pieces of information about Rambaldi aren’t worth the risk.” She stopped at the foot of the stairs and looked at our living room. The tree was decorated so beautifully with presents around the tree. “You’ve fallen into the decadent hands of the rich capitalists. You have lost your way.” Her eyes glittered. “You are a traitor to our ideals.”

I wanted to hit her, but I held in my anger. “They didn’t think the information was piddling.” I said, moving toward the kitchen. I started to turn on the lights.

“No. I don’t want to be seen.” Now she pointed the gun at my chest.

“Who would see you?” I was startled by the remark, trying to ignore the gun.

“The CIA.”

”Don’t be an idiot! They aren’t watching the house. Jack is away on a mission.”

“What mission?”

“I don’t know. I rarely know.”

She looked at me trying to gauge whether or not I was telling the truth. “If you don’t come home, I won’t be able to save you.”

“Save me? Why would you do that? We don’t like each other…and why would you bother.”

“For the good of our father’s name.”

“Our father’s name? That fuking monster’s name?” I almost lost it. I almost screamed. “Did you know he was dead? Did you care enough to come home for the funeral?” I was at the edge of anger again.

“You know I was in Vladivostok. I could not come home.” She sounded miffed. “I was lucky to be home when Mama died. And what do you mean ‘frackin monster’?”

“Ask Katya when you get home,” I responded. I found I was reluctant to tell her about our father.

“She’s not in Moscow at the moment.”

“Then ask when she is.” I nodded to the door. “Leave.”

“Irina, I’m warning you. They are out of patience.”

“I doubt it. Get out! Get out before I do something bad.” I grabbed her right wrist which held the gun, twisted, and took it away from her. “You need to be re-trained on how to use this weapon. Perhaps it is you who have gone soft.” I almost laughed at her.

“You’ll regret this.” She snarled.

I caught a whiff of fear in her voice. What was she afraid of…me? I didn’t think it was that. I hesitated as I ran different scenarios over in my mind. Then one sounded more plausible than the rest. “They didn’t send you, did they? You came on your own!” I instantly saw the accusation was right. “You bitch! You came here to threaten me and my family. They didn’t send you!” I slammed her hard against the door to the pantry, gripping her arms with enough force to hurt.

“Let me go.”

“Get out,” I hissed. “Get out or I’ll forget you’re my sister and kill you as an intruder…a burglar.” I shoved her to the back porch and to the door. “Don’t come back, but first a message for them. Sloane has located a list of artifacts and manuscripts that are in Rambaldi’s own hand. He plans on obtaining as many as he can. When you tell them they are going to ask you where you got that information. Tell them so they know just how important I am to their own Rambaldi investigation.”

“Irina…” She said.

I backhanded her hard with my left hand. Her head snapped to the right. “That is from our father, remember? He taught me that. Do not say that name again. She does not live in this house.”

“You’ll be sorry…”

“Maybe, but I’m giving you a gift. I’m letting you live. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.” I opened the door and shoved her out. I had the safety off on the gun. “Where’s your car?”

“Down the street.”

“Move.” I pushed her out to the front of the house. We walked toward the car which was a rental. It was chilly and neither of us had a jacket, but my body heat had increased over the last fifteen minutes that I didn’t notice it.

We came to the car. She entered it. I stepped back, the gun still in my hand. She drove off without another word. It would not be the last time I heard from her that I knew from experience.

I amended my feelings for her. I didn’t dislike her, I hated her.

SYDNEY AND VAUGHN

“Good grief,” Sydney said, sitting up straighter. She and Vaughn were on the plane nearing Los Angeles.

“Now what?”

“It seems Aunt Yelena paid Mom a visit the night before Christmas of 1980. They had a confrontation of sorts. Mom caught her in my room.”

“You didn’t know about it?”

Sydney laughed. “No, not a thing. Mom wouldn’t have told me anyway. I think she thought it bad enough that I met Aunt Katya, although I didn’t know it at the time. Yelena took a hell of a chance though. I think Mom would have killed her. They had some serious issues between them.”

“I gathered that in their last encounter.” Vaughn glanced at Isabelle, who was sound asleep in the seat between them. “Looks like we might be descending.”

Sydney glanced over the rest of the entries for 1980; then closed the journal. The next year would be significantly more enlightening.

TBC :eek:

Well, i like Katya:smiley: *..and put a bullet in her head... hehe*
Bev, this was just great!!! You know i love action, and this... uhhh loved the update!!!!
Elena was there and noone saw her??? That's wow:smiley: I mean, if she was smth to KGB and the CIA did not track her, lol.

MariaPurt wrote:

Elena was there and noone saw her??? That's wow:smiley: I mean, if she was smth to KGB and the CIA did not track her, lol.

Well you know those Derevkos...they come and they go where they please and how they please. LOL

Back