The Edge of Everything I Wanted

i wasn't sure about the title for the longest time, because i thought maybe it was too wordy, so i'm glad you like it.

i'm not sure if i should do spoilers... i guess it's up to you guys to tell me if you'd really like spoilers or not.

Hey I don't know about everyone else but I'm up for spoilers!!
-I love driving myself crazy trying to figure out what they mean!! :rolleyes:

ok, i'm totally up for posting spoilers (i love torturing my loyal readers ;) )

and because i haven't posted anything too recently and haven't decided WHEN to post this chapter, there are 4 instead of the usual 3 :D

Enjoy!

1. Instantly, she knew who she would like, and who she would like to avoid.

2. The conclusion she would come to, if her brain were functioning, would be that this was a subconscious mechanism she was applying, because she was living in new territory.

3. Carefully, Vaughn slid off the bed. He was fortunate because she was still out when the lack of his weight caused the bed to shift a bit.

4. In a loud, but not earsplitting tone, Sydney said, “I need you to come get me.”

okay, i decided it would be easier to "send" updates about new posts to this story through the tagline instead of using pms. i hope this works for everyone.

ok so i basically spent most of today reading the edge of something new and i absolutely loved that and thought that it was just absolutely AMAZING! you truly have a gift for writing...i couldnt stop reading it! im so glad that you decided to write a sequel. i would LOVE to be added to the pm list =)

REMEMBER: i'll be updating the tagline (which can be seen on the main "romance fiction" page beneath the title) when there is a new post instead of putting out pms

Chapter Three

Following Sydney’s introductory meeting, she and Vaughn went out to dinner and then returned back to her building. There, they chatted in the common room for quite a while with others who lived on her floor. Instantly, she knew who she would like, and who she would like to avoid.

Upon returning back to her room, which was around eleven thirty, she began to get a headache. Soon, the headache morphed into a migraine. Vaughn did his best to try and help liberate the pain. He made sure the blinds were shut, the lights were off, and sat beside where she lay, gently massaging her temples. Unfavorably, he couldn’t control anything outside her door, meaning the normally not-that-loud-sounding co-inhabitants were still at their predetermined volume, but to Sydney they sounded much, much more boisterous.

Rachel, on the other hand, was still out and about, which was probably for the best.

Sydney had her eyes closed and scooted next to Vaughn so that her head, on the pillow, was now pressing against his jean-clad thigh. Eventually, he pushed her back a little so that she was lying closer to the wall, but still against him, and he was sitting upright with his legs outstretched and his back leaning on the headboard.

Both of them stayed quiet. No words were required. In their unspoken language, in which both were fluent, Sydney comprehended that Vaughn would be staying until she gave him the okay to go because he didn’t want to leave her if she still needed him.

If her mind were working clearly, she would have found it quite comical that on her first night in college she needed her boyfriend to stay with her. If she could formulate thoughts at that time, she would have believed it humorous that she’d been practically living alone for five years, but tonight, her initiation to true independence, because she was on a different coast than her father, Vaughn was a necessity to her. The conclusion she would come to, if her brain were functioning, would be that this was a subconscious mechanism she was applying, because she was living in new territory. Sadly, she wouldn’t have Vaughn to assist in guiding her through its mysteriousness after tomorrow night.

Sensibly, she was basking in the reality that, for tonight, she did have Vaughn.

Without being aware of it, she was milking the situation for all it was worth.

Her migraine persisted, even with Vaughn’s precautions and after she took pain relievers. Vaughn knew he couldn’t sleep in her dorm, especially since she had a roommate. He also knew that being very tired while driving, particularly in a place he was not familiar with, was also not wise. Despite knowing this, the truest fact was that he could not, in good conscience, leave Sydney when she did not feel well. It was like he had a switch that said if she was okay then it was all right for him to leave, and the opposite.

Right now, it was the opposite.

“Vaughn,” he heard her utter quietly.

By this time her head was on his stomach, which had been ever so slightly sloped, because his back was slanted against the bed. “Yeah?” he asked in a like manner. Tenderly, he brushed a few wisps of hair that were covering her face aside.

“You gotta go, babe,” she said tiredly, fluttering open one eyelid to look at him.

“How’s your head?” he countered softly.

Slowly, she rolled entirely off of him. “It’s better.” She yawned. “I’m gonna fall asleep soon. I’ll be fine.”

“Then I’ll wait till you’re sleeping,” he told her.

There was no point in debating, so Sydney simply nodded into the feather-filled pillow. Just a couple of minutes later, her breathing became deep and constant, a surefire sign that she was snoozing.

Carefully, Vaughn slid off the bed. He was fortunate because she was still out when the lack of his weight caused the bed to shift a bit. A goodbye kiss was swept against her forehead before he tiptoed to the door. Without much sound, he managed to get into the hallway and shut the door behind him.

He was about nine yards away from the door when he almost bumped into Rachel. He’d been distracted by his watch telling him it was a couple minutes after one a.m. “Sorry,” he mumbled sheepishly. Honestly, he hadn’t seen her there. Vaughn decided he’d stop somewhere nearby and pick up a cup of coffee. If he couldn’t get through a hallway without stumbling into someone, he didn’t want to try driving somewhere.

“Nah, it’s alright,” Rachel responded in an easy-going temperament as she waved him off.

They both stood there, in the corridor. A toothy grin was cemented between her gums and lips.

“Hey… um, this is going to sound a little strange, since we don’t really know each other and all,” Vaughn opened shyly. “I mean, I don’t usually do this,” he continued. Rachel tilted her head in a position that would allow for better hearing. If it were achievable, her ears would even perk up like an animal’s. “Well, Syd had a pretty bad migraine, so it would be great if you could keep noise to a minimum tonight. You know, because she just fell asleep and all,” he finished.

There was a brief moment of hesitation, possibly of disappointment. But then, acting just as peppy as ever, Rachel said, “Oh, sure. No problem,” she grinned politely. “Migraines are killer,” she shrugged.

Vaughn flashed a friendly smile. “Thanks. I’ll see you tomorrow when I stop by, then,” he said. Rachel nodded once. “Bye.”

“Bye,” she repeated as she watched him walk away. Once he was in the stairwell, she murmured, “Damn,” under her breath, almost in a dissatisfied sigh. Afterward, she made her way down the hallway, unlocked her door, and disappeared into her dark room.

Vaughn made it to his hotel without problems. He realized when he walked into his room that it would not make much sense to totally unpack, because he would only have to repack everything tomorrow night. Instead, he got out some shower and basic hygiene toiletries. Subsequent to placing them in a linear array on the bathroom vanity or on the tub ledges, he showered. All in all, it had been a long day, and truthfully he was a little worn out.

He’d been deeply asleep for approximately two hours when his cell phone ringing woke him up. His eyes opened and were greeted only with foreign surroundings and a flickering light coming from his small telephonic device. Sighing, he simultaneously rubbed his eyes with one hand and grabbed the phone with his other. Squinting to see more clearly, his eyes made out the numbers 3:34 on the clock. “Hello?” he yawned just before the phone rang a forth time, which would have caused the call to go straight to voicemail.

“Vaughn,” said the most recognizable voice he knew, the one he held most dear, that wasn’t his mother’s.

“Syd?” he asked confusedly while yawning another time.

In a loud, but not earsplitting tone, Sydney said, “I need you to come get me.”

His mind was boggling. “What?”

“I know; it’s crazy. Just… can you come get me?” She was pleading with him. There was no sound on the other end of the line. “Vaughn?” she prompted.

“Yeah,” he sighed. “I’ll be there soon.”

“I’ll wait by the door. Call me when you get here.”

Click! The call was disconnected.

I think Rachel is doing something that is freaking Sydney out. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm glad Michael is going to a different school because I'm betting Rachel would be making a move on him, real fast, if he went to UCLA.

Chris

I think Rachel is doing something that is freaking Sydney out. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm glad Michael is going to a different school because I'm betting Rachel would be making a move on him, real fast, if he went to UCLA.

Chris
you just gave me a really good idea that i should bring up later. thanks :smiley:

is the tagline thing working for everyone? if not, and someone would like to volunteer to send out pms for me through the goodness of their heart (because my computer/internet situation sucks on most days), then we could do that instead and/or in addition to the tagline thing.

your choice.

Chapter 4 Spoilers

1. She ended the call, even though, technically, there was no call to be disconnected because neither caller nor recipient spoke.

2. The rest of the drive had zero contact between them, whether visual or physical.

3. It wasn’t that Vaughn was mad.

4. All he did was think, until he realized the room felt too stuffy to think at this time. So, he grabbed his key and walked out.

P.S. I actually WROTE an additional chapter. and I cried a little. True story.

Back