The Edge of Everything I Wanted

Chapter Six

An innate smile tugged at Sydney’s lips as she watched Vaughn sleep beside her. “Heaven,” she whispered. She could barely hear herself, let alone be heard by anyone else. Vaughn was finally rebooting, making up for the hours he missed during the previous night and the early morning. He looked relaxed, and peaceful, and above all, happy. They were both content, though one was conscious and the other was not. Each knew, in their own mindset, that happiness was the only emotion that ever needed to be experienced in life. Once a person was happy, other circumstances no longer mattered.

And both obtained that very sentiment each and every moment that they were with the other.

A while later, Sydney observed him beginning to stir, gradually transitioning from sleep to perception. Gingerly, she planted a kiss atop his lips. Vaughn simply basked in the sensations he felt, knowing that there would never be anything better. In truth, not knowing that the kiss was coming perhaps heightened the feelings, as surprises often do.

On the drive back to Sproul Hall, Sydney’s cell phone rang. She answered without checking the caller I.D.

“Sydney,” her father’s voice greeted her in an uncommon chipper tone. “How’s college life treating you?”+

“Dad,” she sighed, with a smile on her face, making the sigh almost sound like laughter, “classes haven’t even started yet, and I’ve only been here a day, not even,” she informed. Sydney glanced over at Vaughn in the driver’s seat. He caught who she was speaking with and nodded, giving his understanding. Without a doubt, her relationship with her father was in no way one hundred percent mended or worthy of any medal, but it certainly was different now that they were both putting forth effort to repair the ruins.

“Ah, that’s just fine print, sweetheart,” he replied. “How was your first night?” he inquired, genuinely curious.

And so Sydney reached a metaphorical fork in the road. She could go one way, which meant fibbing and saying that it was fine and that the only real problem was not being able to fall asleep right away, because she wasn’t just yet used to the twin mattress. Or, she could tell most of the truth, saying that she hated her roommate because she was insane, and that she had a terrible headache all night. Naturally, she would just not add that she ended up spending the night in her boyfriend’s hotel room. Drawing a breath, she said, “Well… not as great as I’d hoped, honestly.”

Jack was more attentive to her now. “Oh?”

“I know it’s only been a day and all, but I hate my roommate,” she admitted. “I just…,” she sighed, “don’t like her, Dad. We’re complete opposites.”

Absorbing this newfound information, Jack pondered the possibilities, not necessarily needing the minute details of the dilemma to come up with a solution. He was quiet as he calculated his plan.

“Dad?” Sydney prompted, staring out the windshield at the landscape passing by. “Are you there?” She checked her cell phone LCD screen; it had four bars, which meant battery power and signal were both strong.

“I’m here… I was just thinking,” he said. “You’re going to have to inform your RA of your situation immediately, that way you may still have a chance to pick a new room,” he advised. Sydney was not expecting this type of helpful suggestion from her father; she was just not used to it. “There’s no way you can receive strong grades if you can’t concentrate because of some random girl the school decided to pair you with,” he began. “I really do not understand university administration these days…,” he went on, formulating his thoughts as he spoke. “…they might as well just pull two names out of a hat and match them together. That is, if that’s not already the method they use. Really, I cannot comprehend why they don’t make the incoming class take some sort of personality survey, or something, so that perhaps roommates will, god forbid, actually have something in common with one another,” he concluded.

Not anticipating advice was one thing, but actually hearing her father truly care about something she was involved in pretty much blew her mind. She was so stunned, in fact that Vaughn noticed and whispered, “You okay?”

She nodded and smiled faintly. “Good point,” she finally said. “I’ll go see Tom when we get back,” she decided aloud. Tom Grace, a junior, was the residential resident for her floor.

“Where are you now?” Jack asked, easily picking up that she stated that they, whoever ‘they’ were, were not in her dorm. “You said ‘when we get back’,” Jack repeated. “Get back from where?”

Damn it, she thought, knowing she slipped up. Thankfully, she had above average improv skills. Seeing the digits on the car clock, she saw it was a little after two-thirty in the afternoon. “Oh, Vaughn and I just went out to lunch, and now we’re coming back,” she said, making sure she was smiling, knowing that a smile in one’s voice could be heard by others through a phone. This would help complete her act of innocence.

After a few more minutes of small talk, Vaughn was pulling into the UCLA campus and Sydney was saying goodbye to her dad. Vaughn was smirking as Sydney put her phone down. “What?” she asked.

He shook his head, “I didn’t say anything.” Still, he was smirking.

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

Parking in a spot close enough to her residence hall, Vaughn turned the engine off while saying, “’Cause I’ve only got eyes for you, babe.” A thousand watt grin graced his lips.

She rolled her eyes, “You think you’re funny, but you’re not,” she said before exiting the vehicle.

In order to catch up with her, Vaughn had to put a little pep in his step. “You think you’re sneaky, but you’re not,” he commented when he caught up to her. Then, he rotated his body slightly so that it was pointing towards the car so he could press the automatic lock button on the keychain remote.

Now she got what the smirk had been about. He was teasing her for her partially frank conversation with her father. “Shut up,” she laughed, pushing him a little to the side.

He gracefully teetered, but then bounced right back next to her, calling a truce by wrapping his arm around her lower back.

Sydney walked into her dorm room first, with Vaughn following close behind. Rachel was lying on her bed, watching TV. Choosing to ignore her, Sydney walked to her desk to drop off her cell phone, and then proceeded to go sit on her own bed, joining Vaughn.

“You kids had a long night… and morning, and early afternoon, now didn’t you,” Rachel remarked with a raised eyebrow.

Sydney shook her head repeatedly, finding Rachel completely unbelievable. Vaughn knew this was something she had to do on her own, so he asked her if she wanted a cup of coffee. She answered in the affirmative. “All right, I’ll be right back,” he told her as he got up and gave her lips a quick peck before he left the room.

“You know,” Rachel opened, “if that guy was my boyfriend, I don’t think I’d be back yet. And I definitely wouldn’t be going to school across the country from him,” she shared, a sly smile spread wide.

“Really,” Sydney said plainly.

“Oh my god!” Rachel exclaimed. “You guys, like, weren’t planning to have sex here right now were you?”

Sydney could not fathom how stupid this girl was. First of all, she was not a slut. Secondly, she had more courtesy – and sense – than that. “No,” she said in a bothered voice, her eyes squinted, her head shaking negatively.

“Okay,” Rachel said with a little attitude. “But, I’m telling you, if he were my boyfriend–,” she began, but Sydney cut her off.

“See, that’s the reason, and I’m just goin’ out on a limb here, why you don’t have a boyfriend, or many friends in general,” Sydney started, gaining more momentum with each word. “Actually, it’s only one of the reasons. I’d say the three a.m. aerobics workout is another contributor. And I’m sure there are plenty more, but I’ve only known you personally for a little less than twenty hours now. I’d need a little more time,” she ended.

Politeness was no longer necessary, and manners were disposed of even before that. What it came down to was this could not be the girl she would spend the year locked up with in the same, very small, room.

It just was not going to happen.

Later that day, after speaking with Tom and the housing department, and after the housing department spoke with Jack Bristow, Sydney found herself moving into a new room on a different floor of Sproul Hall. At least for the time being, she would occupy a double room by herself, and she was looking forward to every minute of it.

yay well at least she got out of there!!
hope rachel doest cause any more trouble!
ahh i leave for college in just over a week and this is making me a little nervous!!
i hope my roommate isnt crazy or anythin!
awesome update
loved it
cant wait for more!!

It's great that Sydney doesn't live with Rachel anymore but I don't think that's the end of it. :P

And aw... sweet Jack Bristow.

yay well at least she got out of there!!
hope rachel doest cause any more trouble!
ahh i leave for college in just over a week and this is making me a little nervous!!
i hope my roommate isnt crazy or anythin!
awesome update
loved it
cant wait for more!!
well... if it makes you feel any better [and i really hope it does] Rachel's only inspired by my sister's roommate from freshman year. they did actually have to switch rooms, but it wasn't as quick or for the same reasons as Sydney and Rachel. it shouldn't be that bad, hopefully :smiley:

HA Syd was pretty sneaky..she did fool Jack!!
And I'm glad Rachel is out of the picture!!
But you're not going to bring her back are you!?

lmao
its funny that jack is so daddy like now
oh and i love vaughn have i mentioned that
oh n the conversation syd had with her ex-roommate was bloody grreat!

HOLY felgercarb! It seems like forever since you've updated!! :rolleyes:
-I mean I think I'm going into depression over here from not
being able to read a new chap or at least read your 'wonderful' spoilers!!

OK.... so...um.... i know my updates have been... sparse. and i'm sorry to say that they will continue to be lacking, but i have zero motivation and inspiration and i have to read a stupid book for school that i haven't started yet....so.... i'm sorry. but here's a new chapter!

Chapter Seven

Just a few days after returning home, Vaughn had to pack up all of his needed belongings, because he would be moving into a dorm room of his own very shortly.

He was assigned to live in Carman Hall, a rather towering residence hall with a total of thirteen floors. It primarily housed only freshman year students of the university. The rooms were set up in suite-style, with two suites connected to one private bathroom. Each room was a double, meaning only four people would be sharing the bathroom. Common lounges equipped with a big screen TV, video-playing devices, adequate seating, and a microwave oven were on each floor. A larger kitchen, laundry area, and computer lab were located in the basement. Best of all, it was conveniently situated close to many major buildings.

His room was just over halfway up the structure, at the seventh floor. His roommate was a guy by the name of Steve McKellen, whom he’d spoken to a few times by phone and instant message or email already. From what he gathered, Steve was from northern New York; was Irish, but not a redhead; and he had three sisters, one older, two younger, and an older brother. He liked most types of music, was a movie buff, and was athletic.

Vaughn felt like he would really get along with Steve because they seemed to have a lot of the same likes and hobbies. That and he really didn’t want to have to go through what Sydney went through. Hopefully, one room change at the beginning of freshman year was enough for them both.

The whole experience of dropping her son off at his college dorm room and unpacking all of his belongings there seemed surreal to Amelie. For the better part of ten years, since her husband passed away, it had only been the two of them living together in their moderately-sized home in South Jersey. Now, it would just be her in the house, alone to listen to every pin drop. Her baby was becoming an adult, and it scared her to death.

Thankfully, Amelie and Steve’s parents, Kate and Patrick, were very amiable towards one another, and genuinely seemed to be harmonious. His two younger sisters, Bridget and Jeanette, who happened to be twins, however, were not so happy. They were both fiery redheads, and were going to be seniors in high school this year. Having to help move their brother into his room dampened their plans just a tad. Clandestinely, Vaughn was a little jealous of Steve because even though he most likely had his heated moments with his siblings, he did have them, many of them actually. He did have those relationships, those connections, and Vaughn, an only child, never would.

Hours later, when their families had said their goodbyes, and everything was orderly, give or take some random boxes and packaging, Vaughn and Steve commenced giving more in-depth descriptions of themselves to the other. Steve’s other sister was twenty-three. Her name was Lila, and she was in grad school studying to become a physical therapist, as was her fiancé, Mark. Mark’s heritage wasn’t of the Irish majority, which caused Steve’s parents some discomfort, but they set it aside. Overall, he wasn’t a bad guy, and their daughter loved him, so they had to, too. Connor was Steve’s older brother. He was twenty-six and working as a computer systems analyst not too far away from the campus, so he’d probably be stopping by every now and then, Steve said.

Before meeting Steve and learning the outline of his brother and sisters, Vaughn never really considered his family life to be boring. Now he did, though. He simply did not have all that much to talk about in those regards.

Vaughn told Steve about Weiss and his brother, who were the closest to siblings he had. He was mentally debating whether or not he should mention Sydney. Yes, he would tell Steve about her eventually, but he didn’t just want to come right out and say how great she was because he didn’t want to seem egotistic. In the end, he just said that he had a girlfriend, Sydney, who was going to school at UCLA.

“That’s going to be fun for you guys,” Steve said in between taking bites of a granola bar. “How long’ve you been goin’ out?” he asked. Steve was on the tall side, about an inch taller than Vaughn. He had dark hair and eyes, but they weren’t harsh; his features actually complimented his easy-going and laid back personality.

“A little over a year,” Vaughn answered proudly.

After the introductions, the two of them went to dinner in the cafeteria, where they encountered and met a whole bunch of new people. Later, they attended a floor meeting with their RA, where she went over general rules and orchestrated a few icebreakers for the new kids in the building.

Amelie sat in the family room, curled up on the sofa with a book she had been reading. Her eyes were weary and she raked her nails through her graying roots, continuing their path through the parts of her hair that were still raven-colored. The silence in the house was deafening. Sure, she was used to being home a lot by herself because Michael was out with friends or Sydney, or even at work, but this was a different type of silence because she knew that it was semi-permanent. Michael would not come home for good until May, which was still nine months away. She sighed, more so that she could hear a sound than for any other reason.

Already, she missed him there. She missed worrying about him until the minute he came home, or until the second she gave in to sleep before he arrived back from wherever he was at. She missed him hanging out with Eric. She missed seeing him interact with Sydney, because she covertly always found it darling.

She exhaled again, and placed the bookmark between two pages of the book. Admittedly, she was grateful that school for her would be beginning in just a couple of days as well. Instead of focusing on the lack of Michael, she tried to concentrate on the fact that she’d be meeting a class full of six-year-olds to teach soon enough. Once she was back into her daily teaching mode, the weeks would go by quicker, or at least she wished they would.

Her boy was growing up, and as much as she wanted to, she couldn’t stop it.

Aww poor Amelia...that would suck to have your only son move away!
-At least Vaughn's roomate seems like a normal person..unlike Rachel!
Thank you for the update! :cool:

Unlike Sydney, Michael and his roommate seem to get along fine. However, I wouldn't be too surprised if Steve's younger sisters decided to have a crush on their brother's roommate.

And I can totally feel for Amelie, I know what it's like having a child leave for college. Being an empty nester can be hard getting use to.

Chris

ohh i like this one =)

Chapter Eight

It was now just two and a half weeks to Thanksgiving break, and Sydney could barely wait for the next seventeen days to pass so that she could go home to see Vaughn. Yes, they spoke either on the phone or electronically daily, but it wasn’t the same. They had to schedule times to talk. Their conversations, most of the time, were planned as opposed to being chance dialogues that possibly brightened a bad day.

Rather than natural, they were a bullet on a to-do list, an item that needed to be crossed off every day.

For the past couple of days, Sydney had been feeling sick. Her stomach would be doing summersaults, and she would get dizzy spells that would require her to sit down for a while. She tried to pass it off as misplaced excitement, but on the fourth day, she realized it was probably something else.

She was sitting with her closest friend at UCLA, a girl who lived on the first floor of her building named Renée. They were supposed to be studying for a calculus exam, but neither was really concentrating.

“Okay, I can’t stop thinking about how dumb this class is. But what’s up with you?” Renée asked Sydney while she was fidgeting with her pencil. Sydney didn’t hear her; she was too busy with her own thoughts. Renée waved her hands in front of Sydney’s face. “Hello, earth to Syd,” she said in a louder voice.

Sydney blinked a few times. “Hmm?” she hummed, now paying attention.

“What’s going on? This is about the tenth time I caught you spacing out this week,” Renée pointed out, setting her pencil down on the spare desk in Sydney’s room that she was working at.

Sydney gave a noncommittal, nonchalant shrug. Renée gave her a “Yeah, right” look to extract an answer. “I think I’m sick,” Sydney replied, finally, with a sigh.

Renée turned around entirely in her chair so that she was now facing Sydney directly. “Sick how?” she inquired, genuinely curious and concerned.

Sydney leaned back in her chair, and laid down her own pencil and notebook on the desk in front of her. “Like… queasiness,” she said. Following a pause, she added, “How is any of this relevant? It’s not like you’re pre-med or anything.”

Neglecting the question, Renée continued with, “Is it worse in the mornings?” She brushed some of her wispy, brunette bangs aside, out of her face.

Thinking for a few seconds, Sydney answered positively by saying, “Sort of, yeah.”

After seeing and hearing her response, Renée stared at her, not in an intimidating way, but stared nonetheless. “Do you want my honest opinion?” she asked, at last.

Nodding, Sydney said, “Sure.”

“Well, like you said, I’m not a doctor, but I think you may be pregnant,” Renée said, as if it were something casual that happened every day.

Sydney heard the word, yes, but it wasn’t registering in her head. She couldn’t be pregnant. Not only was she in no way mature enough to have a child, she was quite certain that this was not true. “That’s impossible,” she answered confidently.

It was seven fifty-nine. Vaughn would be calling her in one minute.

“Are you a virgin?” Renée asked in a way where she knew her hypothesis could not be completely dismissed.

“Well, no, but-,” Sydney began, but Renée interrupted.

“Then it’s not impossible,” she said. Sydney’s phone rang; it was exactly eight o’clock. Renée knew it was Vaughn calling. “I’ll go back to my room and study there. Good luck,” she pointed to the ringing hunk of plastic on the night table, “with that.” Then, she grabbed her bag and books, and left Sydney’s dorm, shutting the door behind her.

On the third ring, Sydney picked up the phone. She forced her voice to sound as normal as possible. “Hey,” she greeted.

“Hey,” Vaughn’s voice replied back. “How’d studying for that math thing go?” he asked, remembering her telling him that she had a test tomorrow.

She smiled slightly, liking that Vaughn recalled such little details in her life. Simultaneously, her grip on the phone lessened, and she got up and eased into a sitting position on her bed. “It’s math,” she said cryptically.

He chuckled into the receiver. “D’you check your email yet today?”

“This morning. Why?”

“I sent you something,” he informed.

They spoke for about a half hour total. When they disconnected, Sydney remembered what Renée had said. But the only logic she could make out of it was that though it wasn’t physically unfeasible for her to be pregnant, it seemed very unlikely. It had been approximately two and a half months since the last time she and Vaughn were together. Her symptoms hadn’t started until late last week; she had no anomalies up until then.

And most importantly, she had gotten her period during both months.

She walked over to her laptop and brought up her email login. There were several junk messages, but there was a new one from Vaughn.

She opened it.

It read:

Dear [Sydney], I've got a letter I would like to send.
It's lacking strings of words with punctuation at the end.
Should I trust this dialect
To convey the right effect?

Dear [Sydney], I've got some things I'd like to set in pen.
I would have used a pencil but lead's just not permanent.
Should I trust my printer's ink
To express the things I think?

Every page I tried my best to think of something to contest
With inside jokes and all the folks could have much more to say.

Dear [Sydney], this envelope will represent my heart.
I'll seal it, send it off, and wish it luck with its depart.
This stamp will be every action that carry my affection
Across the air and land and sea.
Should I trust the postage due
To deliver my heart to you?

With inside jokes and other folks who have much more to say.
With inside jokes and other folks who have much more to say.

Give you all I can.
Flowers and a hand.
I hope this helps you see.
Signed, sincerely me.

Yeah, so I know those are the lyrics to “Dear Jamie, Sincerely Me” by Hellogoodbye, but I heard it and thought of you. So, I altered the lyrics a little. I guess it’s good your name is the right amount of syllables, don’t you?

Well, I hope you pass your math exam. And I can’t wait until Thanksgiving. We’re practically in the home stretch now.

Love you.

A full-blown, dimpled smile graced Sydney’s face by the time she finished reading the email. Little, short and sweet surprises like this one always reassured Sydney that she and Vaughn could easily conquer the long distance between them.

Two days later, Sydney found out that a stomach virus was passing through the campus. A trip to the nurse’s office officially erased any lingering possibilities of pregnancy, as she was diagnosed with the virus.

The plan was for Sydney to return to Jersey the night of the day before Thanksgiving. However, when her professor canceled the only class she would have Wednesday, she decided to adjust those plans. She packed up items she truly needed, or didn’t want to leave unattended across the country, and contacted the airport to change her flight, moving it up a day. If all went according to schedule, she’d be in JFK Airport, in New York, by quarter after seven, Eastern Standard Time.

The main idea she had was to surprise Vaughn by visiting him at his dorm, a good twenty-four hours before she was even supposed to be back.

Using her persuasive skills, she entered Carman Hall a few minutes after ten. She’d taken a cab and stopped home to drop off her bags, then drove back to New York City.

Was it practical? Absolutely not. But love rarely ever was.

Inside the building, the heat was turned on full blast. Sydney was rounding a corner to reach Vaughn’s hallway, when a door further down in the corridor opened. Right away, she recognized Vaughn, and was about to call out to him, but then she saw he was not alone. Behind him, a redhead exited his room. Vaughn remained in the doorway as the redhead stood in the hallway facing him. They were exchanging words inaudible to Sydney from where she was. Both were grinning and laughing.

Vaughn was wearing a pair of khaki cargo shorts and a t-shirt. The girl was in jeans and a fitted top. Sydney couldn’t see her very clearly, but from what she could tell she was pretty. Her red hair was straight, but full of body and volume.

The knife in the back had to be when she witnessed Vaughn and the girl hugging, and the exchanging of kisses on cheeks. Vaughn closed the door after the redhead began to walk away.

Sydney was rooted to the spot where she stood. Did she seriously just see what she thought she saw? If she hadn’t seen it herself, she wouldn’t have believed it. But she did personally observe it. What did it mean?

What she really couldn’t understand was why he called her every single day if he were going behind her back. It didn’t add up.

She was in too much shock to emit a reaction of any kind, besides silence, so she remained where she was.

OK that better be a cousin or family friend from France or something!!
-I mean I really dont think you would have vaughn cheat on her...especially after that amazing email he sent her..soooo cute by the way! Now I want the next update like ASAP...or at least some of those wonderful spoilers!! :rolleyes:

oh... because i thought you'd really enjoy, oh, idk? a week without anything, and then maybe some spoilers, and then another week or few days with nothing again?

am i wrong? =D

YA just a lil bit!! As long as you give us the next update so I can find out who that girl is...then I wouldn't care if you didnt post again for like 3 months...ok thats a lie I would care...well anyway I think you get the point just give us a damn update FAST!! PLEASE!! :cool:

Back