The Edge of Everything I Wanted

OK seriously I have had a very rough day and forgot that I even asked you to update!!
But this did cheer me up...even if it was only for about 5 min!!
Not gonna lie.. I do miss the fluff but hopefully this 'break' makes it more fluffy in the end!! :D
THANK YOU for updating!!

Man this is great I was so worried that Syd was going to do something that she might regret, but no, this is good and I think Jim will be a great friend to her because he knows she is in love with someone and knows the pain.
Its good Vaughn got his grades up, maybe they can keep this arrangement going, except they actually talk instead of instant messaging
Im sure they will talk during spring break and cancel their 'break'

IIIIIIIIIII'M BACK.
Lol!!!
It took me like 30 minutes to figure out my password.

Haha. I'm glad I got it back. If I forgot it I would have cried!

Seriously.

::sigh:: I miss these good ol' days of just coming on these boards every day. : (

I WILL READ THIS!! Lol.

Hey guess what!!??! It's Easter!!! And we should get an update to celebrate!!!! :D
-Pretty PLEASE with a cherry on top!!!

okay, fine. because it HAS been a really long time
but remember: i only have 3 chapts written left

Chapter Seventeen

It was Spring Break. Sydney had flown back to New Jersey. Vaughn was home. For the first time in weeks, they were the closest in proximity, at fifteen minutes away, that they’d been. Usually they were the epitome of ideal, but during the beginning of these seven days home, they were the embodiment of uneasiness. Neither knew the right, nor the appropriate, way to act. Were they supposed to not see each other if they were home? Was calling permitted? This was new ground for them, and they certainly were unclear of the rules.

Until Tuesday, they played it cool, which meant they ignored each other at all costs. On Wednesday, they instant messaged. By that night, they were on the phone, until sleep claimed them.

Sydney’s flight back to California was on Saturday night, so that she wouldn’t be too jetlagged for her Monday morning class.

Astoundingly, Jack was actually home for the greater part of this Spring Break week. Sydney never told him about her and Vaughn’s “break,” mostly for Vaughn’s wellbeing. Jack was never the most comfortable person with their relationship in the first place, so Sydney just wanted to be safe.

Thursday was the day that they saw each other, and it wasn’t mutually planned. Vaughn had stopped by her house around seven that night, saying he was around the neighborhood and decided to stop bye to say hi. So he said, “Hi,” with an easy-going smile, and she invited him in. The truth was he was in her neighborhood, but not randomly. He had driven in squares around streets bordering hers for a good half hour before finally driving up to her house, parking outside it, and walking up to the door.

After a while, their newfound shyness had faded, and they were, roughly, themselves again. They sat on the now-historic couch in her family room, on opposite sides of a built-in armrest/table. Both their arms were on the rest, and each of the two hands was tempted to loop fingers with the other. Outside, nothing looked out of the ordinary, they were just ten fingers, halved and separated by a cushion. Inside, blood was boiling within digits, coaxing them time and time again to rise slightly and grasp onto the other five lonely digits beside them.

Neither of them ever made the motion to touch, and the other never noticed the internal tingling.

The sectional sofa was their barrier, blue with color, and memories, if inanimate objects do have memories. It wasn’t very old, but it had been there during the duration of their relationship, when it was active, and even before that. This couch saw them share innocent smiles, snub ex-boyfriends, have important talks, kiss deeply, and, ultimately, splinter apart.

This couch had become more than a simple sofa, it had transformed into a dear friend.

They sat there for a long while, thoughtlessly talking while haphazardly watching TV. No heart was in the conversation for the fact that they were nervous. If they weren’t careful, the wrong words could slip, they could fall into the trap that was their love, and neither knew what would happen if they did plunge down inside of this hole. The thought was a bright shade of terrifying for the fact that these guidelines of theirs were chucked into and doused in water, the print was washing out too quickly to be read.

Sydney felt herself become less tense by the time Vaughn’s visit had reached its third hour, and she could sense that he had become more contented as well. Around ten-forty, the TV movie they actually started paying attention to ended, and they turned the TV off. And they went back to good old fashion chatting, and bouncing topics to and fro like a ping-pong ball, and they were having fun. They were smiling, and joking, and having a great time.

Sometime after the TV was off, Sydney moved to the other part of the couch, so that there no longer was a blockade. Between them was only open air, slightly stale from the return vents of the still-needed heater. Air: invisible, odorless, and most of all, sheer. No physical obstruction to hold either of them back.

“Have I told you about when Weiss met Steve yet?” Vaughn asked when he was coming down from a laugh attack from Sydney’s story about something that had happened out in the West coast.

“No!” she shouted, jealous that she hadn’t been there, because, surely, in-person had to be more comical. “How could you not tell me that?” she asked rather loudly, disappointed.

“I don’t know,” he said earnestly, a side smile pulling at his lips, raising one of his cheekbones.

They were side by side now, still no physical contact between them. “Tell me,” she said quieter, grinning innocently.

“Well, I was gonna,” he told her with a little head cock. He took her silence as the cue to begin. “So it was probably,” he bobbed his head around, “I don’t know, three weeks ago. Weiss decided that he wanted to come up to New York for a weekend because apparently ‘Jersey wasn’t at its finest,’ his words, not mine,” he clarified. “He gets up to the campus around two on a Saturday, and when he comes in me and Steve are just laughing. Steve’s looking up something online at his desk and I’m sitting at mine, skimming the parts I highlighted in my history book.

“So when he comes in, without knocking or anything civilized like that –”

Sydney cut in, “– In true Weiss fashion, of course.”

“Of course,” he grinned. “Anyway, he comes in when Steve and I are cracking up about the time one of our professor’s cell phone rang during class and it was his mother, and he couldn’t get her to hang up with him. The whole class heard his part of the conversation, and it was basically a whole bunch of ‘Mom, I told you not to call me at work…. No, I don’t care what we have for dinner…. Sure, asparagus is fine…. Does grandma have to come?’” Sydney snickered. “Steve and I are laughing hysterically, maybe crying a little, and Weiss walks in.”

Vaughn started chuckling a little, remembering the scene vividly. “Immediately, he makes a big deal about this, waving his arms all over the place,” he said, reenacting his wildly flinging arms. “You know, he accuses me of replacing him with Steve as a best friend, and goes into this whole spiel about how he’s like a dirty old sneaker that’s falling apart and covered in dog felgercarb,” he stopped for a second. “And what else did he say?” He thought for a moment while Sydney waited patiently, giggling already. “Oh yeah!” Laughing, he said, “And then he said that this sneaker that he was supposed to be was from Payless – he ‘didn’t deserve to be a brand name’ – and the shoe laces were deteriorating and the soles were coming apart.” By this time Sydney was cracking up with the elaborateness of Weiss’ simile.

“He said that he was hung up from electrical wires for years and no one could reach high enough to get him down, and that the rain may have cleaned him up, but his laces were still falling apart.”

“Oh, Eric,” she managed through some tears of laughter of her own.

“Yeah,” Vaughn said, joining in. “And I honestly don’t know what else he said, but Steve and I were just looking at him like we have no idea what he’s talking about, because we didn’t. I asked him what that’s all about, and he said that he’s abandoned by everyone, and I had to explain the Professor Klinen story, which is why we were laughing in the first place, and then he turns red. Like a tomato or something. Then he tells us to ignore the sneaker story.”

They were both hysterical, but after maybe thirty seconds it was more just Sydney then the two of them. Her laugh, and the few, but adorable, joining snorts, were still the sweet, genuine honey to his ears that they’d once been; that they’d always been.

He wasn’t calm and confident like the first time he ever got the courage to kiss her. Instead, he was a little afraid, and petrified of her response this time around. Leaning in, he kissed her, but the kiss was not abundant in passion, or self-assured, or enough to leave a person breathless. It was simple, only a peck, really, and her laughing had stopped; all noise had ceased.

The blue sofa beneath them was witnessing another development in their relationship to add to the record book.

Vaughn didn’t know what she was thinking, a rare occurrence. She didn’t say anything, and he couldn’t read her eyes, which frightened him more. “I’ve been dying to do that all night,” he said finally, honestly.

From what I got out of the Eric's sneaker story was, that he was something to be tossed aside...replaced by a new friend. And metaphorically speaking, somewhat what Vaughn did with Sydney- tossed aside his relationship with her.

Vaughn didn’t know what she was thinking, a rare occurrence. She didn’t say anything, and he couldn’t read her eyes, which frightened him more. “I’ve been dying to do that all night,” he said finally, honestly.

Now, Sydney is really going to be confused. Did Vaugh kiss her because he missed her? Will he want to resume their relationship or are they still taking a break? Is their break only while they are at school or until Vaughn feels ready for them to get back together (which could years)?

YEAH!! Does that mean their little 'break' is over!!
-They are just too perfect together to be apart!!
Thank you for updating!! I take it that since you only have 3 more written...its going to
be a LONG time before we get another update!

maybe i'll write more over break (this week) but idk bc i strained my neck and i shouldn't be on the comp for long... so don't hold me to anything

Chapter 18 Spoilers

there are 4, which is 1 more than i usually. i still have no idea on the new chapter update front

1.) She knew her silence was causing his heart to beat a mile a minute from nerves, causing it to race indefinitely for every nanosecond that she didn’t respond.

2.) Realistically, love is a chance that one needs to brace themselves for, for the repercussions can be painful.

3.) But it was not invincible.

4.) He made sure the doors were locked, lights were off, alarm was on, and went up to retire to his own room, because it was late, and he needed to get up early.

Back