The end of All Sci-Fi

BudBrewster

Captain

I have some very sad news. I was informed today that the hard drive on the server that hosted All Sci-Fi suffered a catastrophic failure, and the database
for the board was irretrievably lost.

All Sci-Fi has ceased to exist.

I’d like to express my thanks to Alien Soup for allowing me to spread the word about All Sci-Fi. This is a fine board, and I hope it continues for years to come.

Bud Brewster

Bud, sorry to hear. The sudden loss of something you've been working on is never a good feeling.

Whom were you hosting with? Don't they have any backups?

Randy Everett, a member of All Sci-Fi, hosted it (and ten other boards) on a server he owned that was located in Kansas City. He was informed today that the hard drive motor failed and corrupted all the data. It's completely gone. I thought regular backups were being done, but apparently that wasn't happening like I thought.

Damn. I started that board in 2005 and it crashed a year later. I started in again in 2007, and it crashed seven years later. I thought this one was in a safe place.

I was mistaken.

Please disregard the gloomy message above! All Sci-Fi has been fully restored by our technical genius and web guru, Randy Everett.

The ten-year-old server which failed has been replaced, and we're now using a brand new server which will last for many years. The automatic backups have been scheduled, and Randy will be performing manual backups on his personal hard drive at home, as extra insurance against future mishaps.

In short, All Sci-Fi is back and better than ever! We hope you'll join us and celebrate is triumphant rise from the ashes!

I am happy for you! I know you had a lot of passion in that site.

As an after thought you may want to do a new topic like AllSciFi has been Resurrected! or something like that to let the newer members and ones that haven't been here in awhile know you are up and running again. (Just a thought)

Last edited:
Back