Politics The end

I don't believe in an end as in a rapture or armageddon situation.

But I do believe if we don't start conserving our natural resources or protecting our environment (ie green house gases, and clear cutting...to just name two) then we could potentially cause the earth to be, sometime in the distant distant future, a place where life might not be able to exist.

What I believe is that if we don't start conserving our resources and doing things to protect the environment, earth doesn't have a very good future. If anything, that will be what puts an end to the world.

I think the Earth will be around much longer than the human life on it. So I believe in the end of our world -- in the sense of existence. Look at the dinosaurs.

Regardless, I do believe that some sort of Apocalyptic finale and / or Armageddon occurrence (on a supernatural / biblical scale) will do us in long before the planet explodes or the universe snaps in on itself like a rubberband.

Julia_Thorne_ said:
What do you mean by that?
[post="1323203"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
The Earth is 4.5 billion years old. We have been here for 10,000 years, and the Industrial Revolution was a short 150-200 years ago. Our existance is a blink of the eye in the lifespan of the Earth. Earth used to be a lifeless mass of exploding volcanos where the temperatures were very high. It's survived a lot, and I think surviving humans is a piece of cake for the earth.

Well, as long as humans don't send the earth into a nuclear holucast or something, the Earth will disappear when our solar system's sun explodes. It will at some point, though scientists are saying that is years and years and years away.

I believe in like when Jesus will come. I mean in the Bible it says that the weather will change. The seasons aren't going to be the same. Where i live it used to be hot by now but instead it is windy and gloomy and just yesterday my mom told me that it is twenty degrees hotter in Alaska than the usual temperature is during that time of month. Also a few months ago there was a tornado warning somewhere in California, which is totally unusual.

What im aware of is that the current rate for undomesticated species extinction is approx. 50,000 per year and 50-100 per day. PER DAY!! Thats unbelievable and unexceptable.

17 million hectares of forest is cleared each year to make way for more humans. Without forests? No oxygen. Withough oxygen? No us. Its as simple as that.

These factors are all due to human population, and the pressure for more space. Not to go all "wildlife rescue" on you, but yes, i believe that, eventually, humans will kill this earth, and eventually kill themselves. I dont believe it will be in my life time, or generations after me, but i do believe it will happen.

And i dont believe in an Armagedon type scenario. I dont think all of a sudden all life will cease to exist. We will cease to exist for the above reasons. And ya know what? We only have ourselves to blame.

Sorry, im just really passionate about the environment and those extinction figures just break my heart.

We are gonnna screw ourselves over long before nature takes its course. As a species we are too arrogant, too sure of ourselves and our unquestioned supremacy. It's a wonder we haven't managed to blow ourselves to kingdom come yet.

Xin Li

Existentialist said:
Well, as long as humans don't send the earth into a nuclear holucast or something, the Earth will disappear when our solar system's sun explodes. It will at some point, though scientists are saying that is years and years and years away.
[post="1324570"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
The sun won't explode, for its too small. But it will expand and engulf several planets before it dims into a super dense mass of nothing. About 5 billion years are left for the sun scientists think.

"why does the Sun go on shining? why do the waves come to shore? don't they know it's the end of the world. it ended when i lost your love..."

but on a more serious note, yeah, the earth has to end sometime. everything that is started must be stopped sooner or later.

Back