Season 4 The evolution of Jack Bristow

Veritas

Cadet
(Absolute kudos to Victor Garber. This episode was a tribute to how fabulously he plays the character of Jack Bristow.)

Compare how Jack was in this episode, especially during the hallucinations and the 1981 'mission' with how we usually see Jack -- you really get a picture of exactly who the man is that we know as Jack Bristow, and where he came from.

We still really don't know all of what he's been through since 1981 (he's admitted that clearing his conscience would take a looonnng time), but all this CIA / SD6 / Rambaldi garbage has really taken its toll on him.

All I could think was, "Poor Jack". Irina really messed him up, didn't she?

I thought it was such an great way to add even more depth to a fabulous character!

i :love: jack

yes irina did really mess him up
he was relatively normal before her betrayal

but he still clearly loves her

j/i for life :love:

Wow! is all I have to say. I knew that we were going to see a different Jack in this episode, but I wasn't really prepared for what I saw. He was so trusting and loving. I loved watching him play the piano with young, fake Syd. Irina really did send him over the edge, didn't she? Plus, we got to see him so vulernable and exposed because of how sick he was. I knew that he was going to be a touch delusional but he was so out of it! I felt very emotional while watching him on screen.

All I have to say is poor, poor Jack! I feel so bad for him! But I think Dr. Liddell's going to make him better. That last scene, when Jack asks if he's cured and the doctor says he will be absolutely broke my heart! I'm tearing up right now just thinking about it. :(

This was awesome!!! We finally got to see on screen what I always believed was in Jack's heart. His actions when it comes to Syd have always reflected a deep, protective, devoted love for his family.....even if his words(or lack of) have not. This episode we got to see that man before the betrayal that constructed a fortress around his heart. And to see him so vulnerable...it was just a great episode. The character and relationship development was huge!

I think that this was SUCH a departure from the Jack we know - even though we all knew this was there underneath his external hard shell - that it made it all that more dramatic.

He was SO vulnerable and loving and kind and unguarded and emotional that the drama of how later events changed him really hit home. We were also exposed to the devastating exent of Irina's betrayal in a way that is so much more personal and real than we have been to imagine up to this point.

:depressed:

What an intriguing, complex and well-developed character the writers and Mr. Garber have created. FABULOUS. (y)

Rinda said:
I think that this was SUCH a departure from the Jack we know - even though we all knew this was there underneath his external hard shell - that it made it all that more dramatic. 

He was SO vulnerable and loving and kind and unguarded and emotional that the drama of how later events changed him really hit home.  We were also exposed to the devastating exent of Irina's betrayal in a way that is so much more personal and real than we have been to imagine up to this point.

:depressed:

What an intriguing, complex and well-developed character the writers and Mr. Garber have created.  FABULOUS. (y)
[post="1328202"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

said perfectly!!! (y) it was the unguarded that stodd out - the fact he told his wife about the mission - he was so trusting back then - not like these days.

I think we saw him smile more in the episode than we have over al the other seasons of Alias put together. ^_^

Awesome character development, awesome writing and awesome acting!!! (y)

I love Jack. We see how much he loved his family. He completely trusted his wife, and we could see why her betrayal devastated him so much. He was going to give his notice, because he didn't want his work taking him from his family this much. He didn't want Syd to only have memories of him leaving, like he has of his father. :( It is so tragic. We see him so open and we know that his life is going to come crashing down around him :(

It was so sweet seeing him play the piano with "Syd." I loved when Sydney told him "that means more to me than you will ever know," when he said he was going to quit.

Jack was so fragile and vulnerable in this episode. Even at the end when he asked the doctor if he was cured :(

I see all Alias episodes, but I think I miss something can anyone say me who is Laura?... In the mirage episode Jack said Sidney and Laura name...

Irina Derevko went by "Laura", when she was with Jack.

At the time she'd been working for the KGB.

That's who "Laura" is.

I loved this new side of Jack. Hopefully we'll be seeing a bit more of it soon!

So I wonder if Syd will just tuck away what happened in her heart, if Jack will even remember that it happened....if they will talk about what happened and what was said. However the writers handle it, I hope they don't do anything to diminish or take away from this awesome scene and insight into Jack!

Back