Politics The Fight Against Piracy

Scarlet Crystal

Bibbity Rabbity
Recently I've been hearing about extra efforts to stamp out piracy and illegal selling/downloading/whatever of movies and so on. Personally, I think the industry is fighting a lost battle. Any thoughts?

I tend to agree, when it comes to music...CD prices have always been expensive and if they (the record industry) can offer something better than free music then maybe people wouldn't donwload so much. Also, i don't think anyone who burns songs or movies but only uses it for their personal use shouldn't go to jail! Come on now, in the days of VCR's who had recorded movies or a television show??? Most of us have and it's fine as long as we don't profit from it. Probation seems more of an appropriate punishment because prisons are for real criminals. However, if they're selling burned copies of CDs or DVDs then they should be fined and put on probation opposed to being imprisoned with murderers, rapists and other violent criminals.

I tend to agree, when it comes to music...CD prices have always been expensive and if they (the record industry) can offer something better than free music then maybe people wouldn't donwload so much. Also, i don't think anyone who burns songs or movies but only uses it for their personal use shouldn't go to jail! Come on now, in the days of VCR's who had recorded movies or a television show??? Most of us have and it's fine as long as we don't profit from it. Probation seems more of an appropriate punishment because prisons are for real criminals. However, if they're selling burned copies of CDs or DVDs then they should be fined and put on probation opposed to being imprisoned with murderers, rapists and other violent criminals.

I so agree! ^_^ It ticks me off when they're fining these 14 year olds 25,000 dollars for downloading some songs. It's insane. If the worst thing they're doing is illegally downloading some music because they don't have the cash for it, then what's the big deal?

The Music Industry is just ticked because nobody is buying their cds. Nobody is buying them because they are way overpriced and the quality isn't that good. Why on earth would I spend 15 dollars on a CD when I might only like 3 of the songs on there? It would be much easier to download it.

It all seems crazy. If there is all this new technology out then, then shouldn't we use it? My dad got a DVDR. So we can record our favorite TV shows and movies that are on TV to DVD. And we use it quite often, it's nice if I miss a show, my parents can just send me the DVD. That being said, if it is a show that I really love and enjoy (like Arrested Development) then I go out and buy the boxed set anyways.

I think that's a point that isn't brought up. Downloading music helps tune kids on to music they might've never listened to. I know plenty of people who have gone out and bought CDs of artists they've downloaded because they really like their songs. The Music Industry could use this to their advantage in some way.

Remember the days when napster was free? And that Metallica was one of the bands that hated donwloading?! LOL Ok, from what I've been told Metallica got a huge following and became successful because of BOOTLEGGING! Honestly, it's really hard to feel bad for artists who complain since the show Cribs and the Fabulous Life of..." have been on the air. The industry got upset when people used to record songs off the radio..they're never happy! lol

Now they're trying to counter with file sharing by making CDs into DVDs too (the two sided albums ..like J.Lo's) but that just highers up the price. And those "copy-righted" CDs are ineffective because my computer somehow pulled songs off of the Kelly Clarkson album that I BOUGHT!

Theres nothing wrong with downloading music for free or copying CDs or DVDs. I copy CDs all the time and then sell them to a store that buys used CDs and DVDs, I love it, makes me some money ^_^

Ooo, I forgot about movies. The industry needs to stop hiking up ticket prices! Or, they need to start making movies that don't suck and this is worth a ten dollar ticket.

Speaking of CD prices, why is it that i can get a new release say Goldfrapp Supernature from play.com for £8, yet in HMV and Virgin its £13.99/12.99. If the industry wants us to start buying Cd's and films again from the high street shops, they have to bring the prices down

Speaking of CD prices, why is it that i can get a new release say Goldfrapp Supernature from play.com for £8, yet in HMV and Virgin its £13.99/12.99. If the industry wants us to start buying Cd's and films again from the high street shops, they have to bring the prices down

They're just not getting the message. :angry:

You know what else really annoys me..when studios release a movie on DVD and I buy it but then months or even years later they release an enhanced version w/ extra special features like deleted scenes or better sound quality!!! This goes in hand with special anniversary editions or box sets! Or, when they release the movie's sequels. How long are consumers supposed to wait to get the best version of their favorite movies??????

See my theory is that the music / movie / software industry isn't losing any money from me because I didn't intend to buy their stuff in the first place. If I had no idea about downloading, I wouldn't be running out to buy CDs every five minutes. I probably wouldn't even be listening to music, because downloading opened the world of music to me. Same with movies. I'm most likely not going to go see a movie in a theatre but I may download it so I get to see it anyway. And software.

See my theory is that the music / movie / software industry isn't losing any money from me because I didn't intend to buy their stuff in the first place. If I had no idea about downloading, I wouldn't be running out to buy CDs every five minutes. I probably wouldn't even be listening to music, because downloading opened the world of music to me. Same with movies. I'm most likely not going to go see a movie in a theatre but I may download it so I get to see it anyway. And software.

Very good point.

So many people get hooked on bands they never would've known if it hadn't have been for downloading. And without it, they would've have bought the cds anyway, because they didn't know the bands.

Back