The Firefox Fan Club

Ok, I had no clue what FireFox is, but being the IE user that I am, I downloaded FireFox not knowing what it is. So far the only difference I see is that the window is bigger (I like that!) and it has pictures next to the URLs! I like pictures.

It sure does ask me a lot of questions.

Firefox has tabs. Press CTRL + T to open a new tab. That way, you don't need to open multiple windows to view different websites. Instead, each page can be viewed on a different tab in one window.

There are different extensions you can download. The only one I have is called Adblock. It removes almost all ads from webpages. My favorite thing about that extension is it doesn't just hide the ads, it prevents the ad from downloading which made pages load a lot faster when I was still on dialup. There's a bunch of other extensions that people love but I'm too lazy to download :P Go to Tools > Extensions to find them.

Firefox also has a built in pop-up blocker, better security, prevents unwanted downloads, is customizable, and other nifty little features that you'll discover on your own. For example, instead of going to google.com, you can type "google alias" to search for Alias, or you can use the built in toolbar.

hmm interesting. i dled firefox a long while back. used it for a while...didn't like it. then went back to IE. of course, it may be my fault...but the reasons i didn't like it include: doesn't work with CSS coding, doesn't have certain plug ins already installed (err i had trouble installing them when it said missing plug ins...which made it even more annoying...) and it's not really that much better...in my opinion. i like the themes and all, I've used them, but in the end, the themese didn't really matter that much to me...

i ended up preferring IE. hmm i think i have something that comes with IE that gives it pop up blocker and stuff...so that also doesn't bother me on IE.

but maybe firefox is a lot better than i realize...and i am just was too lazy to figure out what i had to do to make firefox better...(suggestions welcomed?)

i still have firefox installed...but rarely use it...

eta: Eek, I apologize for the length of this post. I'm sure someone who fully utilizes FireFox could write something ten times as long though :lol:

rileylovesalias said:
I downloaded it...but it says it can't make a connection. My network connection is perfectly fine and when i open IE, tis works...but Firefox wont :blink:
[post="1461145"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Hmm.. It may have something to do with your firewall. Also go to Tools > Options and try playing around with the connection settings. My friend had the same problem, and downloading and reinstalling fixed the problem.

Moonlite Star said:
hmm interesting. i dled firefox a long while back. used it for a while...didn't like it. then went back to IE. of course, it may be my fault...but the reasons i didn't like it include: doesn't work with CSS coding, doesn't have certain plug ins already installed (err i had trouble installing them when it said missing plug ins...which made it even more annoying...) and it's not really that much better...in my opinion. i like the themes and all, I've used them, but in the end, the themese didn't really matter that much to me...

but maybe firefox is a lot better than i realize...and i am just was too lazy to figure out what i had to do to make firefox better...(suggestions welcomed?)

i still have firefox installed...but rarely use it...
[post="1461166"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Actually, Firefox complies to web standards more. For example, look at this website in both Firefox and IE. It may seem at first that Firefox can't read it properly, but actually IE is just displaying incorrect code correctly. Look at the results in the HTML Validator--there are 69 errors. While it's great that IE may make screwed up sites look normal, as a webdesigner you definitely don't want to code incorrectly just because IE displays it normally. That leaves all the Firefox, Netscape, Safari, and Opera users with a screwed up website.

Like I said in my last post, Adblock is a great extension that removes ads from webpages. There are other extensions that I personally don't use but others say make Firefox even better. Among popular ones are NoScript which makes FireFox safer by white-listing websites with Javascript, Gmail Notifier lets you know when you receive an email, and Tabbrowser Preferences optimizes use of tabs (ie when a link is set to open in a new window, you can have it automatially open in a new tab instead).

Built in features include the pop-up blocker (I know there are others out there, but it's nice to have it built in). Bookmarks can be organized into categories. You can do quick searches such as "google alias" or "dict alias" instead of having to go to google.com or dictionary.com and then typing it. You can add your own custom quick searches, like I made one for thesaurus.com. You can create different profiles so if you share a computer, you aren't forced to have the same settings. FireFox doesn't let websites install software automatically. Passwords and usernames can optionally be saved so you don't have to type it every time. If you share a computer, you can set a master password to access those stored passwords so others can't use your login info. You can manage your cookies. One of the handy features that can be helpful for dialup users is only allowing images from the originating website to load--for example, if users on a forum have signatures on Photobucket accounts, they won't be loaded. And one of the more underrated features is it's a lot safer than IE. Since the majority of people use IE, it's the most targeted browser in terms of hacking, viruses, and trojans. FireFox is tons safer against those things.

There are many many many ways to customize FireFox, but even changing only a few things, it's made the Internet a lot better and safer for me.

Moonlite Star said:
hmm interesting. i dled firefox ... doesn't work with CSS coding
This is the most wrong thing ever stated about Firefox. (Yes, I'm picking on you... but not without a little love). :P :D

Seriously though, you are being a little lazy because not only does FF have more proper rendering of CSS (not to mention a more proper implementation of the DOM - the actual framework that tells the page renderer how all the html should be interpreted and - in the case of DHTML - altered). While it's still not as fast or strictly standards compliant as Opera, it makes IE look like a tripping madman scribbling random quotes from episodes of Max Headroom on downtown shop walls with a box of eight year old crayons. I'll pimp the sites I always do about this... check out The Web Standards Project, http://www.positioniseverything.net/ and of course CSS Zen Garden: The Beauty of CSS Design.

Ohh, AA - check out Adblock Plus and Filterset.G Updater (see sig). Adblock plus does a few extra little things plus one big thing that's extremely helpful - whitelisting. Filterset.G Updater is a simple little script that updates a couple ready-made Adblock Plus filter lists - one's the blacklist, one's the whitelist.

Is Adblock Plus really a whole lot better? I've heard about it but I've been too lazy to download :lol: Plus I'm not sure I really need whitelisting or auto updates. In fact, I used an outdated filter set for a really really long time and it worked just fine.

Thanks for the CSS sites. :smiley:

Ok, some changes I noticed so far. It opens faster when I click on the icon. :D And I like that tab thing!!

But my bookmarks is in alphabetical order now, and I don't know where anything is anymore. :rolleyes:

What's white listing?

AliasALIAS said:
Plus I'm not sure I really need whitelisting or auto updates.
Well, dont really think of it as something you need, as something that makes adblock-related parsing a much more defined, detailed and surgical thing. Just check out the regexp in filterset.g wb to see why it's a good thing.

I keep coming across pages where it says its missing the correct plug ins. I try to download the plugins, but it says its not available. The main plugin mission is quicktime. I have the program, but it never seems to work on firefox...

Any ideas as to why this is?

I have no idea!! This happens to me too...you've probably heard of the website www.mozillazine.com (or maybe it's .org...i don't remember)...it's a huge forum for Mozilla help, and so far, it's answered all my questions. I have been away, so I haven't searched for the Quicktime help yet...but let me know if you find anything!!

Seriously, I was perfectly content with IE and then I just decided to check FF out. Boy, was I wrong about IE. It's a lot slower, doesn't have as good pop-up protection (IE we're talking about here), and it just does all these annoying things. Switching to FF was a great choice for me.

I was the exact same! IE was fine, but one day I decided to try Firefox. And I find it way better. Plus, there's a lot more customisation. I've added new themes, a music player (which allows me to close whatever media player I'm using and it plays in the background as long browser is open. No pesky space taken up on the taskbar!), a To Do list and reminders, and few more handy extensions which make my life a whole lot easier.

Hey guys and girls, sorry to interrupt Firefox Fan Club forum, but i think i will stick with Mr Gate's IE :blush: IE7 is a lot better than previous version. I haven't tryed Firefox out but i have tryed Netscape, its not that bad (y)

Back