The Fire's Out

Hey everyone. I've never actually posted any of my fics here before. I have a few completed ones, so if you want me to post them, I will. I won't have time for PM lists seeing as I am a (too) busy college student. Let me know if you want me to post my fics here for your enjoyment.

Disclaimer: I own nothing. Trust me. I'm a poor College Student.

A/N: I hope you like this. This is my second fic I've ever written. Leave me a review if you have the time and let me know if you liked it or not.

The Fire's out

Sydney Bristow woke up to brilliant sunlight streaming through her window. There was a warm breeze coming through that open window. Looking at the clock she observed it was 6:00AM on her day off. A few more hours she thought as she let out a contented sigh and she rolled over. That very same sigh caught in her throat a little when her eyes met with the handsome man who was obviously caught watching her sleep.

“I believe you are busted, Mr. Vaughn” She joked sleepily displaying a huge smile that showed off her dimples. Seeing that he wasn’t very amused she continued. “You know that’s like the 5th time this week that I’ve caught you doing that. What’s up with you? Is there something you want to talk about?” She asked, mildly concerned.

Vaughn sighed and gazed into her chocolate brown eyes. With a small sad smile, he brought his hand up to her face and caressed her cheek. He watched as her brow furrowed even more and the expression in her eyes held that of concern and love.

“Vaughn?” Sydney said expectantly. His actions were starting to concern her and she didn’t bother to hide it. “Is everything all right? You’re really starting to scare me here.”

“Everything’s okay, now.– or at least it will be” He said, his voice think with sleep and dripping with emotion. “I was just thinking– about..tomorrow... Tomorrow’s the day, Sydney. The day I lost you; the day I lost myself.” Suddenly, her eyes held understanding and she sighed.

“I– I don’t know what to say. I mean, everything’s the way it’s supposed to be now, Vaughn. Yes, it happened, but I’m not going anywhere.” He nodded is head and looked down at something more interesting on the down comforter, but she wasn’t going to accept that. She wanted to make sure he knew, once and for all. She reached out a hand and lifted his chin to meet her eyes again.

“Michael, I’m not going anywhere. I swear to you. I’ll never leave you again.” At her words, he smiled; a genuine smile and kissed her lightly. They broke apart and he stroked her hair softly.

“You’re incredible, Sydney. I love you so much.... I feel like I’ve loved you forever.” He smiled and Sydney nodded in agreement. She didn’t need to respond. They both knew. They always knew.

Soon they lapsed into a comfortable silence, just content to be with each other, holding each other and silently contemplating his last statement. Both, coming to the same conclusion: That this is was, truly, the way it was supposed to be. After a little while, Sydney’s eyes shut and her breath evened out signifying that she had, indeed, fallen back to sleep.

Vaughn slowly slid out of bed, very careful not to wake Sydney. He ventured into the kitchen and noticed that Nadia had not returned that night. He smiled inwardly and made a mental note to tease Eric to no end. Pay back’s a b****, eh Eric? As quick as that thought appeared it was gone. There were more important things on Michael Vaughn’s mind. He was a smart guy. He wasn’t going to make the same mistake twice and given his passed track record with Sydney Bristow, he had screwed up more times than should be allowed.

Many factors contributed to the pains in Sydney Bristow’s life and he was distressed to say that he was one of them. The past few years had been Hell for both of them but he didn’t care about himself anymore. He was over that stage. He had seen her cry over the things he had done to her and, at the time, he ignored it. He thought he had responsibilities. He heard from Eric, that she cried too. She cried on his shoulder, she cried in her sleep, she cried inwardly everyday of her life and he couldn’t handle it anymore. Every time she cried his heart would crack a little. What made it worse was that he knew that it took a lot to make Sydney Bristow cry. She was one of the strongest people he knew but also one of the most vulnerable. She had weaknesses. Perhaps her biggest one of all was her heart. He made a silent vow, right then, to protect her heart at all costs.

It was 8:00AM when everything was in place but there were things he had to do. He crept back into her bedroom and placed a single red rose on the table next to her head. He couldn’t help it, he looked her over and noticed she had thrown the covers off of her, due to the warm LA sun that was streaming over her. He had almost smiled over that but, in her haste to free herself from the warmth of the comforter, her shirt had come up a bit and he could see the pink puffy scar that marred her side. Vaughn closed his eyes for a moment at, yet another, reminder of the time she had spent away. He cursed lightly and shook his head. This is it, Vaughn. He sighed a bit and reached over at her alarm clock and set it for 9:30AM. Sorry, Sydney. I promise, this will be worth it. I hope.... Then he kissed her forehead, praying she wouldn’t stir, and left quietly unable to take his eyes off her on his way out.

BEEP BEEP BEEP!!
Sydney sent her hand flying through the still air of her bedroom landing with a smack on her alarm clock like she had many mornings. Hateful device.. Hey, wait a minute... She opened her eyes slowly, squinting to the light of morning in her room. 9:30AM? I didn’t set that... Moving her eyes from the pesky alarm clock to the red rose that sat next to it. She picked it up and inhaled it’s sweet scent before taking a look at the tag that was attached.

Sorry Sweetheart. Meet me at the pier at 11:00 AM.
~V

She smiled, sighed, and laid back against her pillows once again. At least he apologized. She was silently reliving their night on the pier; her beeper, his dry sense of humor, his number.. I still have his number... God, I love him..BEEP BEEP BEEP!!! Sydney silenced her alarm clock one last and final time and threw herself out of bed. I need to get a new alarm, son of a b...

Vaughn was pacing. It was 10:50 and he could be clearly categorized as a man that was freaking out. He had it all planned out. In all truth, this day was coming for a while, he just didn’t count on the nervousness that was overtaking him. He watched as her hybrid pulled up. 10:55.. Way to go Sydney. That’s got to be a record. She stepped out of the car, locked it. As she walked towards him, she sent a smile his way that made him weak. She had her hair pulled up and she was wearing jeans and a simple tee-shirt. Only she could look so incredibly gorgeous in that. As, she got closer, he smiled back and reached out for her hand, which she gladly took. He gave her a small kiss and she looked up at him.

“You woke me up, Vaughn” She said trying to be menacing

“Sorry” He looked down sheepishly. When he looked up again she was looking at him expectantly.

“Walk with me, Sydney.” She nodded in agreement and they started down the pier.

They walked the pier silently for a long time, each one content to be with the other. They were walking hand in hand, fingers intertwined, and a comfortable expression on each of their faces. They were the very image of love and the people around them couldn’t help but look and smile. They ate lunch and talked about everything and nothing, just enjoying their day off. At 5:00 pm, Vaughn led Sydney onto the beach, where they both removed their shoes and began walking on the soft sand. Sydney walked down to the water and walked through the wash of the gentle waves and looked for interesting seashells. The sky was turning an orangey color to signify the near end of the day.

“I went to see Francie, today.” Vaughn said suddenly. Sydney stopped and looked at him, and looked as if she was trying to, without success, form words.

“Sydney, I want you to listen to everything I have to say and I don’t want you to say anything, okay? There are a few things I need to get off my chest, and I can’t be interrupted.” Otherwise, this may not come out. She nodded in agreement. Vaughn took a deep breath, grabbed both of her hands and gazed deep into her eyes.

“Syd, we’ve been through so much these past few years, but somehow, I’ve never managed to tell you how much you mean to me. These past few days, I’ve been searching my brain and heart to try and find the right words to tell you how exactly you’ve made my life better. I’ve come to the conclusion that there are none; there are no words that can describe what I feel for you. I just love you with everything I am, and I should have told you years ago.” He could see her wanting to say something but he knew she’d stay silent as tears were slowly pooling in her eyes.

“So, I went to see four people today: Your Father, my Father, Francie, and Danny and brought each one a yellow rose on our behalf. I asked them all the same question, knowing that only one would give me answer, but hoping the other three would help me find the right words to ask it. And if they didn’t give me that answer I was looking for, it wouldn’t have changed my mind and I would have found those words myself. When I look at our relationship through the years, I see so many bizarre things. I see wigs, bruises, costumes, cuts, files, fights, and fires... but we made it though it all; not unscathed, by any means, but we made it nonetheless. I need to be honest, about the things I said in Russia at that dealership. I know in my head they probably would have come true if things had gone differently four years ago.” She was fully crying now and he was reaching up to carefully wipe her tears away before clasping her hands again, but this time he went down on one knee and continued.

“ I’m not going to lose or waste one more day with you Sydney. If things don’t go as planned again, I want to know in my heart that you know how I feel about you. So, Sydney Anne Bristow, the most beautiful person in the world, inside and out; Will you do me the honor of marrying me?” Vaughn asked with his voice cracking a bit and tears pooling in his eyes as he pulled out a small black velvet box to reveal a platinum diamond ring. Please say yes...

Sydney stood speechless, silently crying a bit. She couldn’t believe the man, in front of her. What did I ever do to deserve him? She pulled him to his feet, wrapped her arms around his neck and whispered in his ear.

“I would love nothing more that to be your wife, Michael. I love you so much, Yes, of course.”

“Thank God.” He replied. The use of his first name and her breath on his ear sent shivers up his spine. He slowly pulled back to look at her and grabbed her left hand off of his shoulder. He kissed her hand, lightly first before sliding the ring on her finger.

“Perfect, Vaughn. It’s beautiful”

“You’re beautiful. Come on, Let’s go home.” He said grabbing her hand to lead her away.

“Wait, I have to ask. You said you asked my father.... if that’s true... why are you still alive?” she added with a chuckle and a smile.

“I guess you’ll never know” he replied equally as amused. That’s a really good question.

“Mr. Vaughn, I have very powerful methods of persuasion. You know I’ll get it out of you, sooner or later.”

“ All I’ll tell you, is that it was, by far the scariest thing I’ve done in my life. I’ve defused bombs, I’ve been shot at, I’ve almost drown but looking into Jack Bristow’s eyes all but killed me. Maybe someday, I’ll tell you what our conversation was like but right now, you’re not getting anything but in my car. I have one more surprise for you.” He added. “We’ll pick up your car later.”

They both got in Vaughn’s car and headed home. They arrived at Sydney’s house just as the sun slipped behind the horizon and it’s pale light still showed. He walked around to her side of the door and let her out.

Vaughn approached the door first and unlocked it. Eric and Nadia, better have come through. He pushed it open to find everything in place and let Sydney go first, leading her on with his hand on the small of her back.

“My God, it’s beautiful.” She said in awe as she looked around at the candles and roses planted about her house. “A bit of a fire hazard, but beautiful.” She cringed, inwardly, at her mention of fire on this day but Vaughn either didn’t notice or didn’t care at that point. She looked to her kitchen and saw the table cloth and meal that was on the table and she smiled.

“You’re amazing.” She said as Vaughn led her to the table and sat her down.

“You better get used to it. You’re mine now and I know that there’s only the best for you.” She blushed at his comment.

“Vaughn... I– I need you to know how much you mean to me too. I don’t deserve all this. I don’t deserve you. You’re perfect and you treat me like gold. There’s never a moment that passes that I don’t think about you or love you. You’ve saved me more times that I can count, in more ways than one. The feeling of seeing you and waking up to your face every morning is the best feeling in the world. I was going to ask you something today, too. I was about to say it on the beach, but it paled in comparison to what you had to say.” Seeing his quizzical look she continued. “I talked to Nadia the other day. It turns out, she’s going to be roommates with Eric. He needs someone to share the rent with, or so she says.” she smiled. “Vaughn.... I want to wake up to your face every morning. I want to fall asleep to the sound of your breathing every night. Move in with me?”

He smiled and fed her a piece of food from his plate. “I’d love nothing more... Suddenly, I’m not so hungry. Besides, you have an oven. We can reheat.”

She chuckled lightly at the familiar words, pushed her seat out and got up. Vaughn followed suit and grabbed her hand. They both smiled at each other and took off towards their room.

“This place is still a hazard, Vaughn.” She said as she stopped en route, looking around.

“Right. Maybe we should blow some of these out.” He replied as they started blowing out the candles, eventually leaving the house engulfed in only pale moonlight.

“Come on Sweetheart. The fire’s out now” Sydney said as they closed the door to their bedroom.

The End.

AN:

I wrote a second part to this and I will post it if anyone is interested. It's kinda pointless fluff, but everyone needs that once in a while.

Loved it :smiley:

So, I went to see four people today: Your Father, my Father, Francie, and Danny and brought each one a yellow rose on our behalf. I asked them all the same question, knowing that only one would give me answer, but hoping the other three would help me find the right words to ask it.
I really liked that bit

Aly..x

That was great. Totally loved it. Gotta have fluff to relieve us of all the angst for a while. I'd definately like to read the second part when you post it.

She was one of the strongest people he knew but also one of the most vulnerable. She had weaknesses. Perhaps her biggest one of all was her heart. He made a silent vow, right then, to protect her heart at all costs.

I want to wake up to your face every morning. I want to fall asleep to the sound of your breathing every night. Move in with me?”
This was truly beautiful. :awe:
i loved it and i really hope you post the second part.
I love fluff. :D
:hug:

Zoe

This was the most perfect story!!!

I wish that we could have seen all that on an episode of Alias!!!

Please post the 2nd part!!

The more fluff, the better!!

You could even make it a continuing story, cause you know things on Alias dont stay perfect for long!!

A little angst never hurt anyone!!

Well, I'm glad some of you enjoyed this short little story. Thank you so much for reviewing. I'll consider posting my other stuff.

Thanks

It was just like any other morning. They woke up happy, wrapped in each other's warm embrace. It had been three weeks since Vaughn's proposal on the beach and they were now happily sharing a home. Weiss and Nadia were happy as well, and their relationship seemed to be moving quite quickly. Sydney and Vaughn both agreed they made a cute couple and took every opportunity to tease them about it.

"Vaughn?" Sydney asked sleepily.

"Hmm?" he replied, his warm breath tickling the back of her neck.

"I have to know. How did you survive that conversation with my Father? I mean, not that I'm not glad you did survive it. I just need to know." Vaughn chuckled and Sydney rolled over to face him.

" I'd really appreciate it if you didn't bring up your Dad while we're cuddling, in bed, on a Saturday morning." She laughed but he could tell she wasn't going to let this one go.

"Okay, Okay. I'll tell... The truth is, Jack and I; we're tight." Sydney let out a short bark of laughter.

"He threaten to kill you if you told me what he said, didn't he?" She asked.

"Actually, no. I called him that morning and I told him I needed to see him. He asked if you were okay, naturally, and I said you were, that this was strictly a personal matter and it would be a convenience to me, only. So, he had us meet at a coffee shop, not to far from the pier. I had already gone to see the other people I needed to see. I was already there when he arrived. I was sweating and shaking. It was the worst thing I've ever done. I was really afraid I was going to throw up right on your Dad's perfectly pressed suit or shined shoes. Then, your father did something, I never expected him to... He smiled at me. I think he knew why I was there, by the way I was acting.. And what day it was." He took a brief pause to brush a stray hair from her eyes and smile at the fact she looked like a little child being told a bed-time story.

"He sat down and looked sternly in my eyes and asked what the meeting was all about. I managed to tell him, with out puking or stumbling all over myself that I was planning on asking for your hand and that I would like to have him approve, but if he didn't, it wouldn't change much. I figured stern and sure was the best way to go with Jack Bristow."

"Oh geez. What did he say to that?" Sydney asked smiling.

"Nothing at first. He just kind of stared at me; sizing me up or trying not to shoot me in the face. I'm nor really sure. Personally, I was wondering how fast I could run and if he had any weapons on him. Finally, never breaking that 'Bristow Glare' I know so well, he said "I told you once that I didn't think you had much of a spine and I'm not wrong in that assessment but I do believe that you will take good and sufficient care of my daughter, Agent Vaughn. Therefore, I guess I can say, that if my daughter says yes, which I do believe she will, then I say: Welcome to the family, Michael." I swear, Syd, I almost wet myself. I know my jaw hit the table and my eyes were bugging out of my head but I was so happy. Your Dad was smiling and laughing at me. It was so weird. I barely got out a "Thank you, sir" before he started again." He said.

Sydney was smiling a full dimpled smile now and Vaughn could help but smile back. She was secretly rejoicing that her father approved of Vaughn although she secretly suspected he felt the same way. They were still lying facing each other and Vaughn was rubbing a hand languidly up and down her arm.

"So that's it? No death threats or bodily harm of any kind? Well, that's no fun." She said feigning disappointment.

"Oh no. I never said that. I'm not finished yet, Ms. Bristow." he replied.

Flashback:

"Mr. Vaughn, you know that I have to give you the speech however. I know you make each other happy, now, but when she needed you the most, you weren't there. I want to make sure, that this isn't just some feeble attempt to make up for the pain that you've caused her." Jack said, his expression as unreadable as always.

"Jack, I'd like to think you know me better than that" Vaughn said almost angrily, trying to keep his facade from crumbling.

"I'd like to think so too. Mr. Vaughn, I'd like to think I know my daughter, even if I never gave her much, or any, of a childhood. She's a strong and great person and I believe that you don't deem yourself worthy of her, and I can tell you that no one is worthy of her. In, fact, I don't know what I did to deserve a daughter as great as she, but, if anyone is even remotely near worth y of her I wouldn't pick any other man than you. Don't let that go to your head, Vaughn, because if you hurt her or fail to treat her the way she should be treated in anyway, I will make sure that nothing good ever happens to you again..." With that Jack picked up his coffee and broke the deadly stare he had on Vaughn.

"Jack, with all due respect, I have no intention of every letting her down again. There is no way to prove that to you. So, I guess you'll just have trust me." Jack once again smiled and reached across the table offering his hand to the young man which he glad took.

"Vaughn, I have one more question for you." Jack said with a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "Did you believe that I was actually going to shoot you or kill you once you asked for my daughter's hand?

"Actually, Jack.. I wasn't sure what you'd do, but those things were definite possibilities."

End Flashback.

"Wow. You did well, didn't you?" Sydney said.

"I guess I did. Maybe your Dad actually likes me."

" I wouldn't go that far. Don't take offense though; I don't think he actually likes anybody." She said with a smile on her face. " I think what he said to you is about as close as you get to Jack Bristow liking you." Vaughn nodded and smiled and they laid their content for a short while before Vaughn suddenly moved to get out of bed.

"Vaughn? You okay?" Sydney asked.

"Yeah. I'm okay, I'm just getting antsy. I'm going to take a shower. Then I'm making you breakfast. After that, we're going to the ice rink. We've got to refine your skills Bristow, you're going to be playing more and more hockey, very soon. Oh and by the way, Weiss is teaching Nadia too, so we're having a game soon, and I don't like losing." He added with a chuckle as he moved towards the bathroom and shut the door.

Although those were all valid reasons to get out of bed, it wasn't the days activities that persuaded him to leave the warmth and comfort of the bed he shared with his Fiancee. It was Jack's words that were echoing in his brain. Words he couldn't tell Sydney; words he was sworn not to tell her.

Flashback:

After a few minutes, Jack continued speaking again. His eyes were softer, somehow and the look on his face was that of concern.

"Vaughn, there is something you have to do for me, however. I've worked with Sydney for a few years now and day after day I watch her don wigs and costumes and fight evil people. I know she has scars and she has had more injuries than I'm sure either you or I can count. I don't want that for her anymore. As soon as you can, Michael, get her out of this life. She has a brilliant mind and a wonderful education from UCLA she could easily be teaching literature somewhere. I need for you to help her make the decision to leave this horrid life. Vaughn, I want you to leave too. Just leave all this behind the two of you." Jack finished.

"I'll try, Jack. I'm sure you know how stubborn she can be though. She might feel like there is too much to lose by leaving. She's gotten to know her sister by working on this job. Plus, we've both done this for so long that I don't know if we know how to do anything else." Vaughn replied.

"I'm tired of seeing my daughter hurt, Vaughn. Granted, I've hurt her but every ounce of pain she's had in her life is because of this job; because of this life. Do whatever it takes, just get her out of this and don't tell her about this part of our conversation. She can be persuasive but I can be ever more so. You understand?

"Yes, Jack. I do, and I will do everything I can to keep her from hurting anymore. I just don't know how she's going to respond to asking her to leave the agency."

End Flashback.

Vaughn splashed water on his face and looked up into the mirror on the wall. He decided it was better to leave that conversation for another day. Right now, it was time to enjoy the day ahead and their bright future.

the End.

You should really continue this story!!!

There are so many places you can go with this!!

PLease post your others stories as well!!

Pm me if you do!!!

I really wish it had happened that way too!!!

Back