The frustrations of technology..

So my new motherboard gets in today..and my computer still doesn't work!!

So, now it's sitting in the networking administrator's office at my school and he'll have a look at it tomorrow.

What's the problem?

Turns on for two seconds, doesn't even get to post, shuts off..

But that's not all! Oh no.. Someone at school caught on to Meebo and blocked it! Grr...They can't rightly block game sights because...well.. The college has game design courses. But they'll sure block Meebo and yahoo messenger!

At least my name was cleared about the family computers going down, but I wont be allowed on them for a while even if I'm not guilty for crashes by just touching them too often. Why wont I be allowed on them? The three year old's been playing a game constantly on the notebook computer and the notebook's been overheating!

*takes a deep breath*I will be calm..I will be calm...

I need a computer again!

Yep, new power supply. Light stays on for the motherboard, power supply is 500 watts. An Antec, I think.

Have you tried putting the motherboard on some anti-static plastic, and hooking it up to your PSU to ensure there's nothing grounding it. If it runs outside of the computer (on the plastic), then you can start troubleshooting from there.

Otherwise, it's almost definately a bad MB or bad PSU. Have you tested the PSU?

No way to test the PSU outside of the actual computer. It's unlikely that two motherboards could be faulty in this way, so it might be some sort of grounding problem but that would lead to questioning of how it changed in the first place when the motherboard hadn't been moved at all to change the power supply.

Either way, the computer isn't currently in my hands.

Oh! It worked enough to turn on lights and all the fans got to running before it turned back off.

Yes, but this will let you test all that individually. If you test, say, a fan, and it turns off after a couple of seconds, then you know the PSU is bad.

*bangs head against desk a few times*I'm an idiot..The problem has been solved. I knew it was something little that I was just being stupid about!

....*bangs head some more*...It's too embarrassing to even say what was wrong..

I once bought a whole new computer because one of my RAM sticks burned out, and instead of buying a pair (I learned later than RAM has to be compatible in pairs.... or something like that) of new RAM sticks, I bought one newer one that was different. Needless to say, the computer didn't work. Sooo.... I used it as a lampstand for a year. Well the new computer's motherboard fried itself out, so i took new computers RAM and stuck it in the 'lampstand'. And hey, what do you know? I'm now using that computer again.

Now, momma..... What were you saying?

^_^

Goooood ol' Lampstand *pats her PC*

Stupid stupid Neo-Lampstand *kicks PC with fried motherboard*

I also told her about the time I was ticked off that Comcast wasn't working and it was cause you'd unplugged the router and didn't tell me :P

Fine fine...

.....I didn't have a four pin power connector connected to the motherboard near the processor..

On the Sphere, I had someone who couldn't figure out how to put their computer together because their motherboard didn't have the 4-pin connector. They looked everywhere, because it had to be there, right?

I feel your pain.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd just be proud that you got that far anyway.

Most people can't put together a computer. I don't think it's the hardest thing in the world, but it definitely takes at least a bit of brains.

Back