The frustrations of technology..

No it's not that hard, (I haven't looked at the link yet, btw)

But it takes a bit of patience and the ability to read and follow instructions (unless you really know what you're doing. I ripped apart my brother's computer while drunk a while ago, and the next morning somehow managed to put it back together without the motherboard instructions. It took a bit of trial and error to get everything just right though, and reading the teeny tiny wording on the motherboard)

Ha, drunk Div... Also, stay away from me while drinking. One day it's computers, the next it's people. That's just how it goes, and I refuse to be your Divianenstien's monster!

Wee! I'm back on my own computer where I can do anything I want as long as it only ruins my computer!

And, admittedly, I don't read the instructions.. And when I learned how to put together computers, it was on systems still holding pentium 1s.. That was two years ago. My high school needed to let us experiment with some REAL systems!

I only seem to learn about computers when pieces of mine die. I've never read anything but figured out how take things apart. I don't know how to replace a motherboard or a processor yet but should one of those go I imagine I'd poke and prod it till I figured it out or blew something up, one of the two.

Hurrrah for Momma having her PC back!

Oh..thought I should add..

Seems it's saying one of my fans is either not working or working too slowly, but the person who worked with my computer said he tested each one and they all seemed to be running alright and at the right speed despite the error warning..

So, there's the explosion warning. Not sure which fan it could be. There's one on the CPU, three in the case itself, and of course one in the power supply and graphics card although I doubt those are the ones it might be talking about.. I know they're all at least running. I am just trusting my school's networking administrator when it comes to them all being at the right speed.

The computer that I use has a tendancy to overheat, cause one of the fans doesn't run as well as it should have either. I solved that by buying a small fan and just blasting the tower whenever I play.

....At least that solution doesn't include duct tape

The fan doesn't work well because it's a soudered (sp?) on fan from another dead power supply. Lasted two years that way... I have no idea how.

And that too involves no duct tape.

Eh..I'm almost positive my computer wouldn't overheat if it lost a fan as long as it's not a fan that's actually on something and not just around the outside of my humongous case,

Eh..I'm almost positive my computer wouldn't overheat if it lost a fan as long as it's not a fan that's actually on something and not just around the outside of my humongous case,

Even if a fan is having trouble, you don't care as long as the temps remain fine. Check your CPU and VPU temps and you're probably fine (the north or southbridge can overheat as well, but that's fairly rare - even if you did have a motherboard that didn't passively cool them).

When I went down to Florida with my mom and brother, we borrowed my grandpa's car. It was messed up, and would overheat if you drove it without the heater on full blast. It was Summer. I'm from Alaska. I swear, I almost died. :(2

The fan doesn't work well because it's a soudered (sp?) on fan from another dead power supply. Lasted two years that way... I have no idea how.

And that too involves no duct tape.

Soldered

And onto motherboards, they're not something you want to just try to put together unless you have at least a bit of knowledge in them. Doing it incorrectly can completely ruin a computer (from what I've heard, the only thing I can think though of is if you don't know how to put a heatsink on your processor, that'll burn it up quick.)

the only thing I can think though of is if you don't know how to put a heatsink on your processor, that'll burn it up quick.)

Any more though, the CPUs have such good heat sensors that they'll cut themselves off pretty well.

I have a friend who had a computer that would run for about 45 seconds then cut off. He kept trying for 3 weeks before he asked me about it. It must have flipped the switch to save itself 100 times and was still just fine.

The most common ways to actually kill your computer while you're putting it together (there are more reasons why it might not work, but they won't kill it):

1) Forcing the CPU down into the tray instead of using the ZIF and bending the pins.

2) Metal shavings (which can make some rather pretty (and expensive) fireworks)

Other than that, modern motherboards are so fail-safe that there's not much of a risk (for example, they're built so that power cords can only fit one way - no more putting the power cord in wrong and smelling melted silicon).

Back