The giraffe, Santa Barbara, and the Proposal

Title: The Giraffe, Santa Barbara, and the Proposal

Author: LiLStArLiTeDrEaM (aka. Ella or Elle)

Rating: G-PG (not sure if it'll go to PG it'll probably be just G)

Spoilers: Based on the "speech" made in Welcome To Liberty Village

Genre: Romance

Summary: The title says it all my dears!

Disclaimer: I don't any of these characters...they belong to Jeffrey (JJ) Abrams..and ABC...blah blah blah

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Daddy, are we there yet?” 5-year-old Taylor Vaughn asked.

“Not yet sweetheart,” Vaughn looked at his daughter through the rearview mirror as he drove down the free-way.

“Vaughn, where are you taking us?” Sydney asked touching her blindfold.

“Hey,” Vaughn swatted her hand, “No peeking or taking off of the blindfolds!”

“I can’t see!” Taylor whined.

“Yes sweetheart, that’s the point,” Vaughn chuckled.

Michael Vaughn was perfectly content with his life. He had a wonderful 5-year-old daughter and was married to a beautiful woman, Sydney Bristow. Sydney and Vaughn we’re still both working for the CIA but they had both made it completely clear that once their first child was born, they would be doing deskwork, and only deskwork. Sure deskwork wasn’t as exciting as being out on the field but their daughter’s life was now the most important thing in their lives. It was the day before his daughter’s 6th birthday and he had wanted to give both mother and daughter a surprise trip down to Santa Barbara. Keeping the windows up, preventing the ocean breeze to pass the noses of both Sydney and Taylor, hoping not to give away the location to where they we’re heading, and putting blindfolds on them both.

“I wanna take it off!” Taylor complained.

“Taylor Nicole Vaughn, I doubt that you’re father will tell us anything so please keep it down for Mommy?” Sydney turned to her which was pretty pointless on account that Sydney couldn’t see her daughter and her daughter couldn’t see her.

“Daddy! C’mon tell me! I’m your baby girl!” Taylor said sweetly.

“You’re my only baby girl Tay, but I’m not saying anything to either of you.” Vaughn said simply.

“Michael Vaughn, you’re acting absolutely ridiculous,” Sydney crossed her arms in front of her.

“Sydney, you’re acting like Taylor, and I’m not acting absolutely ridiculous,” Vaughn laughed, “the only reason you think that is because you have no clue to where we’re going. C’mon use your spy skills.”

“I haven’t used them in 6 years!” Sydney pointed out.

“C’mon Mommy! Use them!” Taylor bounced in her seat.

Because Sydney and Vaughn weren’t exactly field-rated anymore they didn’t see why Taylor needed to be isolated from the truth of what her parents do for a living. But, before Taylor had started school they specifically told her the rules of speaking about the career of her parents. She knew very well what the consequences were, they we’re embedded into her mind since she was two-years-old.

“Sydney, those kind of skills stick with you!” Vaughn snickered.
“Okay, so yes, they do, but having another former CIA agent doesn’t help, you took the precautions and covered the tracks!”

Vaughn smiled, “Very good Agent Vaughn”

“Why thank you, I try…” Sydney giggled.

“Daddy! Are we there yet?” Taylor complained again.

“Just about honey, I promise we’ll get there.” Vaughn exited the freeway and made his way down the busy streets of Santa Barbara. Vacationers, locals, buses, and cars filled the streets. He finally drove into the Biltmore Hotel driveway and turned the ignition off, “Alright then, We’re here, but don’t take the blindfolds off.”

“My gosh Vaughn!” Sydney shook her head.

Vaughn playfully laughed and got out of the car; he opened Taylor’s door and brought Taylor out. Making sure she was standing properly on the ground he bent down to whisper in her ear, “Taylor, listen to me carefully.”

She nodded. “I’m gonna let you take off you’re blindfold okay? But you cannot say anything alright? Not to Mommy or me. You have to be absolutely quiet okay?”

She nodded again. Vaughn gently pulled off Taylor’s blindfold. She looked around and opened her mouth, Vaughn quickly covered it, “Remember Tay?”

“Mmhmm!” Taylor mumbled.

“Good girl. Stand here.” He commanded.

Vaughn opened Sydney’s door and took her hand. He helped Sydney up and let her stand there for a moment, Taylor looked up at her mother, waiting for her to say something. Without saying a word, Sydney smiled. She realized where she was. Vaughn undid Sydney’s blindfold. Sydney still had the same smile on her face, “Santa Barbara…” she said quietly.

Vaughn grinned, “Yeah…I thought it would be the perfect vacation.”

“It is…thank you honey,” Sydney kissed him.

An old friend of Sydney and Vaughn came up to them. The couple smiled, “Hey Tim.”

“Long time no see you guys!” Tim came up and hugged Sydney and Vaughn. Tim broke the embrace and saw Taylor picking a flower out from the ground. “Is that little girl yours?” Tim whispered.

Sydney nodded and called for her daughter, “Pumpkin, come here please?”

Taylor ran up with two flowers in hand and offered one to Sydney, “Mommy, I picked the blue one for you!”

“Thank you sweetie, it’s beautiful. Your dad and I want to introduce you to an old friend of ours.”

Vaughn picked up his daughter, “Taylor, this is our old friend Tim, we met him the very first time Mommy and I came here.”

“Hi. I’m Taylor!” she said confidently.

“Nice to meet you little lady, my name is Tim.”

“Little Lady? My Grandpa calls me that!”

“Yes he does,” Sydney smoothed the hair on her daughter’s head.

“I’ll be taking your bags right?” Tim asked.

“Of course!” Vaughn replied. “Does Keith still work here?”

“Oh yeah, I swear, he’s gonna end up working here till he’s on his deathbed.”

The three old friends laughed. “Hey Keith,” Tim called.

A man, with white hair, in his mid-60’s came up, “Ah! My old friends! Michael! Sydney!”

“Hey Keith,” Sydney smiled and gave him a hug.

“How are you both?” Keith asked, “Seems like forever since I’ve seen you guys!” he looked at the young girl in her father’s arms, “My gosh, is this darling girl yours Michael?”

The brown hair, green eyed girl nodded, “Yes I am!”

“Well, aren’t you just spitting image of your mother! You remind me of my grand daughter when she was your age. How old are you sweetie?”

“I’m 5,” she held up her left hand. “I’m turning six tomorrow” she said proudly.

“Well, good for you my dear! The last time I saw your parents, you weren’t even born yet!” He turned to the proud parents, “has it really been that long you guys?”

Vaughn nodded, “Since Taylor started school, we never really got the chance to plan any new family vacations.”

“Well, now is the perfect time you guys!” Keith patted on his old friend on the back, “I’ll park the car?”

“Yes please,” Sydney nodded.

After saying good-bye to Keith, promising to see him soon, they made their way into the hotel. The Vaughn family made their way up the receptionist.

“Yes, that’s right. Alright, good-bye!” The receptionist slammed the phone down. Not looking up from the desk the receptionist greeted them in an unenthusiastic tone, “Hello and welcome to the Biltmore Hotel, I’m Anna, what can I do for-“ she finally looked up and saw her Vaughn and Sydney standing in front of her.

“My gosh, it can’t be! Michael and Sydney Vaughn!” she went around her desk and gave the couple a big hug. “How have you two been!”

“We’ve been good,” Vaughn smiled.

“Look at this precious little girl! She’s so cute!” Anna cooed.

“Anna, this is our daughter, Taylor. Taylor this is Anna.” Vaughn introduced the two.

Taylor smiled and clung onto her father’s neck, “Hi Anna,” she yawned sleepily.

Sydney checked her watch, “Time for someone’s nap!”

“I’m not tired Mommy,” Taylor mumbled as she rested her head on her father’s shoulder.

“You are so Taylor, Come here.” Sydney opened her arms and Vaughn slowly slipped Taylor into her mother’s arms.

“So,” Anna made her way back behind the desk, “reservation I assume?”

Vaughn nodded, “Finally, we get to have a vacation. Ever since Taylor was born we never really got the chance to set up another vacation.”

Anna laughed, “Having kids changes a lot doesn’t it?”

Vaughn scoffed, “You have no idea!”

“You have room 647 on the 14th floor, you guys still get a perfect view of the beach.”

“Great, thanks Anna,” Vaughn turned to Sydney who held the sleeping Taylor in her arms. He put his arm on Sydney’s back, “Let’s go babe.”

After arriving in their room, Sydney went straight to the bed to put Taylor down. Taylor’s eyes slowly opened, “Mommy?”

“Mmhmm?”

“Can you tell me a story?”

Sydney laughed, “Baby, you’re already sleeping. You’re just going to go to sleep after 2 minutes.”

“I know, but,” Taylor yawned, “I wanna hear a story…please?”

Sydney sighed and caved, “Sure Sweetheart, what you want to hear about today?”

“I want to hear about how Daddy proposed to you…”

Sydney’s eyes softened, “Where’d you get that topic of a story?”

“I overheard Daddy and the lady talking about this place.”

“Hmm, I never told you this story have I?”

“Daddy hasn’t either…”

“Alright then…this kind of story doesn’t really start off with the traditional ‘Once Upon a Time...’’’

~~~~~~~~~~

Tell me what you guys think?

xOxO`eLLa

This is good!! I like it!!
I wanna know how he proposed!
and Tay is sooo cute, I love her name.........Taylor Nicole Vaughn! :smiley:
pm me pls? thanks!! :P

Aww, cute story! I liked the blindfolding part! Nice way to introduce the story. Sydney and Vaughn sure are popular in Santa Barbara. :lol:

This is a really cute fic, great beginning. More soon please? And can I get a PM when you update? Later...

- Gwen

Back