Sci-Fi The Greatest American Hero

Robby

Helper Bot
The Greatest American Hero Returns, But Did He Bring The Hero-Fro? [Greatest American Hero: The Movie]

The worst hero hair of all time returns to the skies, all the way from the 1980s. The Greatest American Hero is coming to a theater near you, and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

Creator Stephen J. Cannell told the audience at the Screen Actors Guild's 25th-anniversary:

"We've written a screenplay, and we've hired a director, and we're in the midst of putting this together for the future,"
As we've previously reported, rumor has it the director will be Stephen Herek, director of such movie classics as Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and The Mighty Ducks. Former GAH star William Katt endorses the project:

I took a sneak peek at the [feature] script, and it's absolutely charming and wonderful... I know people are going to love it.
Cannell did drop one other piece of news about the movie. He promised hottie Connie Sellecca and the other original cast members, William Katt and Robert Culp, bigger roles than just cameo appearances in the upcoming movie.

(Via io9)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The Greatest American Hero Returns, But Did He Bring The Hero-Fro?

For those who may have missed watching the original series, the premise was simple.

What if aliens gave mankind a gift of a suit that when worn gave the person super hero powers? And what if the person who found the suit then lost the instruction manual for it?
Yep, that was it. Simple, but effective & entertaining.

Last edited:
I used to love this show and still listen to the theme song in my audio collection.

Did you know that there was a sequel called The Greatest American Heroine that had a pilot made but never made it to series?

Believe it or not, Fox has announced a possible reboot. Not sure how I feel about this one -- it was a great show that I liked as a kid and it'd be interesting to see a modern take on it, it's just that most reboots don't have a good track record.

Phil Lord and Chris Miller, who directed the 21 Jump Street movie, along with Rodney Rothman who worked with Lord & Miller on 22 Jump Street, will be the executive producers. Rothman is writing the pilot for the Greatest American Hero reboot. A possible good sign is that Tawnia McKiernan, daughter of Stephen J. Cannell who created the original show (along with a good number of other '80s shows) will also be an executive producer.

The description for the reboot is...
... inner-city teacher Isaac’s adventures after his discovery of a superhero suit which gives him superhuman abilities. Unfortunately, he hates wearing the suit, and has to learn how to use its powers by trial and error because he quickly misplaces the suit’s instructions. He also has to deal with a government handler who has very different objectives than him and struggles as to whether he should use his newfound gifts to help others or just himself.

Back