The Improbable Dream

Kuzzle

Cadet
So I've decided to make a thread in which people present their greatest aspiration. Something that, were you to have the power, you'd make happen. The thing that you live your life hoping will take place. That improbable dream... Heh. By improbable I mean that it could, theoretically happen, though the events required for it to actually happen would take more than a bit of luck.

To get the ball rolling, I'll start with mine:

I buy a large plot of land, maybe a couple hundred acres, out in the middle of nowhere. It's by the coast, and in a warm(Not tropical) climate. I build a compound, (This kind... I'm paranoid.) with one side facing the water, complete with a small, fairly well defended port. Maybe that's accomplished by a wall out in the water, but I don't know yet. Myself, and a group of maybe 50-100 other like-minded individuals live there in a small, relatively self-contained little community. We wouldn't cut off all contact with the outside world, but we'd be removed enough that we wouldn't concern ourself with the political squabbles of the day. There would be gardens, people would make crafts, go fishing...

There would be a screening process, in order to protect the peace. Very few people would be allowed in. I could finally relax. I could stop worrying about what the fools around me are going to do. I could stop worrying about all the little, trivial felgercarb that tears me up inside. I could just stop worrying.

I don't know how I'd do it, though. All land is owned by someone, these days, and therefore everywhere has rules. So much hassle, so much fuss... I don't know, but I think that if I had enough money, I could work something out. I could finally be happy... :(2

And so: Yeah, too much of that is whiny Emo felgercarb, I know. People always tell me I whine too much, but... Well, happiness should never be too much to ask for, I think. Besides, it's not something that I seriously expect will one day happen. Just a thought, floating around inside my head.

Anyway, what do you people aspire to? What goals drive you? I see this thread drifting into obscurity, as people consider their dreams, goals, and aspirations to be a bit of a personal subject, but I thought I'd put it out there, all the same.

I have nothing so creative. CEO of a small corporation based in a town, not a big city, and somewhere where it does snow for part of the year. Of course, it would be for video games and mainly focus on story-based games.

For the most part I've acheived what I wanted. I love family. I love being around family. So I have a family and home etc. Seeing the little ones acheive self sufficiency. Those are my primary focus because that's important to me most. I want to live to see them 'Become' the person they want and will become.

I've put two items on the back burner:

One is in process but I'm not focused on it right now. That would be having a web site and posting/selling music through it independent of any record labels.

The furthest; but something i'm also excited about, is the science of Plasma Physics and it's implications on Cosmology. Commonly refered to as Plasma Cosmology and/or "Electric Universe" theories and ideas.

So i guess i'd be the singing, guitar slinging scientific Dad.

Kuzzle, I totally understand where you're coming from. Buying a whole lot of land and only letting family and close friends on it is a dream of mine too. I recommend the book Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle as an example of how to possibly do such a thing on the cheap, though they had completely different reasons.

Keep in mind that there's a few ways to run such a thing. If you wanted it to be a full-time dealie, you need to be relatively close to civilization, though that shouldn't be a problem with your specs: buying up that much land, in that type of climate, with the water specification will cost you millions. If you're willing to compromise, cheaper land is available in places such as Wyoming (/eye Momma) though you lose your water access (unless you create a lake) and warm climate. Anyhow, once you figure out where, it's a matter of figuring out how to afford it. The shared survivalist/vacation home idea from Footfall is one way. If you really wanted to get the size you're talking about, on a full-time basis, you need a few people:

1. A psychiatrist/sociologist who can determine how a new person fits in with the existing group and can adapt to changes in the group dynamic over time.
2. A lawyer, since you can't be your own country and have to navigate all the laws required to be in this one (unless you want to jump country, depending on where you go it can be a matter of money to acquire, weapons to keep).
3. An honest accountant to make sure nobody's robbing the community blind (preferably one trained as an auditor, I call dibs!).
4. A plumber, electrician, etc. for maintenance and repair, since such services would probably be exceptionally expensive to bring out (assuming you're a bit back from the nearest town).
5. A doctor and a couple nurses, just so you have a medical professional who can deal with things on-scene until authorities arrive.
6. If you're looking for truly 'on the cheap' an architect, engineer, and a construction foreman to get the place built.

A note about the 6 positions mentioned above: all would need to be compatible with the community and willing to work gratis for it, preferably without compromising their outside jobs. Consider this statement number 1 on my problems list. The following are the problems I can rattle off real quick:

2. When people buy something, they expect a bit of it to be theirs. What happens if somebody wants to leave? Do they have to give up their investment? If they own it, what happens if they sell to an incompatible person? If the 'return on investment' is tied to something, will the community have the ability to cash out a bunch of people leaving at once when the 'value' is high?

3. What happens if people need more room than is available in their section of the compound? What if, for example, my wife and I were to plan for ourselves and 3 kids, but kiddo number 3 turns out to be twins?

4. How are costs split? Is everybody paying a fixed amount and we pray that the bills aren't more? Are costs being split evenly, thus making people who waste not have to pay much for it? Is each suite separately metered, thus inducing paranoia over Big Brother?

5. How are internal crimes handled? Thefts, assaults, possibly even rapes? Goddess forbid there's a murder and suddenly you have cops swarming all over your compound, asking questions about why it's fortified. Are things not considered a 'crime' by the rest of society punishable by exile because of the destabilizing influence on the community? Examples: adultery and alcoholism.

6... OMG, it's 9:15am already? I gotta get to bed, first day this week my wife's working less than 12 hours and I want to be awake when she gets home!

Kuzzle, we should hash this out either over the board or in IRC, I like the idea but I'd love to present a few ideas of my own rather than pick yours apart. Unfortunately I don't have time now, but I'll be getting back to this as soon as I can.

Short Dream

Win the lottery or otherwise come up with a rather staggering amount of money, move to Scotland, buy "my castle" (aka Eilean Donan castle), live happily ever after.

Long Dream

Come up with the capital to start a used bookstore/coffeeshop/tearoom in a renovated old house (built 1890-early 1900s). Was something my mom and I always talked about doing, but never managed it. With her gone now, I still want to do it. Husband is even interested in the idea. Go figure.

A couple of my dreams I've accomplished. I've ran my own business, helped in the government, and am currently moonlighting as a professional wrestler around the Northern VA area. It's true.
What's left? To explore space or to help set forth a fund to get man off of earth within 5 million years. Truly long term research baby!
I'd also like to sell one more painting before I die, but it's one of those I can put off later and then regret on my death bed type deals.

Well, here's my improbable and impossible dream.

Through pure force of human will and rage defeat death and achieve immortality.

Well, here's my improbable and impossible dream.

Through pure force of human will and rage defeat death and achieve immortality.

Not bad, but not good enought for me. My dream is to transcend and become a demigod and rule earth with a benevolent yet 'paternally' stiff hand. I'll get them(us?) into far flung space, build an empire, and smash or ally with the (hopefully) alien races.

Damn I should write a book...

...Then again that seems a LOT like WH40K.....

Not bad, but not good enought for me. My dream is to transcend and become a demigod and rule earth with a benevolent yet 'paternally' stiff hand. I'll get them(us?) into far flung space, build an empire, and smash or ally with the (hopefully) alien races.

Damn I should write a book...

...Then again that seems a LOT like WH40K.....

Yeah, i want that too but that's a later dream and not so much ruling as wandering through space. :smiley:

-Lots of stuff-

*blink*

Well, I don't know. I never really thought about the actual logistics of it before, because I always just figured it was one of those things I could never really accomplish. I think, probably, that a teacher or two should be added to the list of required professionals, at least if there are going to be kids there.

Back