The In-Between

SkyGirl5

Cadet
:hi:

okay so this story takes place in my very own made up country - Lasonvia (Pronounced: La-son-vee-uh). Its semi reminicent of Germany post WWII but not quite... you'll see ;)

Title: The In-Between
Genre: S/V very au... little angst, but not much
Summary: Forbidden love crosses any boundaries, including uncrossable ones between two countries sworn to be enemies.

20 Chaps + Epilogue
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 1 (below) Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4 & 5 Chapter 6 Chapter 7 Chapter 8
Chapter 9 Chapter 10 Chapter 11 Chapter 12 Chapter 13 Chapter 14 Chapter 15 Chapter 16
Chapter 17 Chapter 18 Chapter 19 Chapter 20 + Epilogue

Chapter 1
“Michael, you’re not going to the library again are you?” Amelia Vaughn asked with a sigh when she saw her son walk into the kitchen, backpack over his shoulder.

He gave her a confused expression. “I’m sorry; do you not want me to study? Get good grades? Graduate at the top of my class? Get a good job?” he asked, listing all the things his mother yelled at him for every time she caught him watching TV.

“Of course I want those things for you Michael! I just don’t want you going to that library there,” she said with a slight shiver.

“Maman, it’s a library; I doubt I’ll be hit with gunfire or shrapnel – but if I see any coming I’ll just duck behind the books,” he told her with a cheeky grin. She gave him a stern ‘that’s not what I meant and you know it’ look. “I know you don’t like going to The In-between, but you don’t have to. I like it there; I’m going,” he said simply.

“But why?!” she demanded. “Your university has a perfectly good library!”

“I know that, but it’s also full of other students who stop and talk to me. At The In-between library I get complete and total peace since no one’s around. That’s exactly what I need to study,” he said.

“We have complete and total peace here,” his mother smiled as she gestured around their house.

“Well, yes, it’s quiet, but we have… things that distract me. Seriously, Maman, I’m going, okay? We’re done talking about this,” he said. Then he grabbed his jacket and headed out the door. As much as he loved his mother, sometimes he was truly annoyed beyond imagination with her. At those times, he cursed the fact that he was forced to live at home due to his monetary situation. Affording university tuition was one thing, especially when he had more than just four years of school to pay for, but affording room and board on top of that was simply not possible. Luckily, he and his mother lived not too far from a very nice university so living at home was a possibility.

After leaving his house, Michael walked a block to the nearest bus stop, carrying his backpack over one shoulder and his jacket over his arms. The middle of September was still too warm out to wear a jacket outside; the jacket was for the library, where it was freezing. Michael rode on the bus for twenty minutes before arriving at the stop he desired. Getting there would have only taken ten minutes by car but, unfortunately, he didn’t have one, which meant he had a mile long walk ahead of him to get to the library: a quarter mile to the border of The In-between and then another three quarters of a mile once inside. He didn’t mind, though; he didn’t have much else to do on the days he didn’t have class since he only worked in the evenings.

At the border of The In-between, he walked right through past the military guards without showing his passport; the passport was only required on the way back through. He then continued his walk.

The In-between was a three square mile area sandwiched between military bases and high walls. Of course, ‘The In-between’ was not this area’s technical name; it didn’t have one, but people called it that, thus its title was adopted. In addition to the library, The In-between contained a fast food restaurant, ice cream shop and large park. No one lived there; no one was allowed to. It simply existed, though no one quite knew why.

Finally, after a boring walk, Michael arrived at the library. It wasn’t a vast library like his university had. In fact, it wasn’t very large at all. If Michael had been looking for a library to use as a library, he would not have picked this one, due to its lacking supply of books. However, for quiet studying and homework, it worked just fine.

When Michael opened the door, he was immediately met with a blast of frigid air, which, after his long walk in the warm sun, felt nice. As usual, there was only one other person in the library besides the elderly librarian sitting behind the desk reading a magazine through her oversized black-rimmed glasses. The other patron was a young woman, who Michael had seen the pervious three Saturday he had ventured to the library. He guessed the brown haired woman to be around his age, though he wasn’t sure, since he never got a good look at her. Like him, she always seemed to be busy doing homework or reading something. A few times, when the overwhelming boring silence began to overtake him, Michael debated going over to this strange girl and talking to her, but every time he had that thought, his shy nature overtook him and he chickened out, figuring she wouldn’t want to talk to him anyway.

Walking through the library, he gave the librarian a soft smile before taking a seat on the other side of the room from the brown haired girl. He pulled his text books and notebooks out of his bag before getting down to work. A chemistry major intent on becoming a pharmacist, Michael was very familiar with the concept of studying considering he did it constantly.

A boring half hour passed by slowly and soon Michael was coming dangerously close to nodding off on top of his textbook. Realizing that he needed a break, he stood from his chair, stretched and began walking, needing to do a lap around the library to keep himself awake. In doing this, he walked past the brown haired girl’s table and, when he did so, she looked up at him and smiled a beautiful dimpled smile that made his mouth go dry and his heart do a summersault in his chest. He managed to keep walking though, because the girl’s glance was brief and, once it was over, she immediately looked down to her own textbook once more.

His palms sweating, Michael made a second lap around the library, hoping the girl would smile at him once more, but she didn’t. Instead, she began packing up her things and before he could muster up the courage to say something (most likely something idiotic) to her, she was gone. With new determination, Michael walked back to his belongings. He was going to talk to her the next Saturday - that was, if she was even there.

ahh this sounds sweet and mysterious
i cant wait for this janet
it seems reakkyt good (now can u please go fix ur other fic PLEASE)

cute I like it so far! at first I was like "there's a fast food restaurant in germany after WW2.......and then I went back up and read the thing again and I was like "oooooh it's like it but not really! Got ya!" and so after that it made a lot more sense! haha can't wait for more! Man I even beat the PM for it! YAY

and I agree with Dani......go fix Change Your Mind! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE?!?!?!?!?!

cute I like it so far! at first I was like "there's a fast food restaurant in germany after WW2.......and then I went back up and read the thing again and I was like "oooooh it's like it but not really! Got ya!" and so after that it made a lot more sense!
right it takes place in present time its just sorta like the germany thing with the country split in two

awww exciting!!! i can't wait til he talks to her, hoping she'd still be there.. ;) i think this almost made up for the sad update of 'change your mind' but i still like it

Michael debated going over to this strange girl and talking to her, but every time he had that thought, his shy nature overtook him and he chickened out, figuring she wouldn’t want to talk to him anyway.

Shy Vaughn :woot: :woot: :woot: I totally :love: shy Vaughn

In doing this, he walked past the brown haired girl’s table and, when he did so, she looked up at him and smiled a beautiful dimpled smile that made his mouth go dry and his heart do a summersault in his chest.

Awwww... our Mickey boy is already in loooooooove :lol:

:blush: me

I love the start!!!
this is going to be so awsome...i cant wait to read more!!!

i love how Michael is kinda like stalking her in the library..so cute!!! :P

Realizing that he needed a break, he stood from his chair, stretched and began walking, needing to do a lap around the library to keep himself awake. In doing this, he walked past the brown haired girl’s table and, when he did so, she looked up at him and smiled a beautiful dimpled smile that made his mouth go dry and his heart do a summersault in his chest.

Aw that's so sweet :angelic:

Back