The In-Between

I like it. Great start! It does make for an interesting story given the split country and how he left through the gates and needs a passport to get back in. Maybe next Saturday he'll talk to her! Thanks for the PM! Can't wait for another!

Love at first sight. The next time Michael sees her, concentrating on his homework will be impossible. I wonder what she thinks of him?

Chris

This has a touch of Romeo and Juliet, too, doesn't it?
I keep picturing something like Latvia. I think it may be a little modern, but not quite.

Michael sure does go a long way to study in peace and quiet.
But, now he has more of a reason to go that far to study.

Keep me on the pm list for new fics.

I have to say that when I read the summary I wasn't really interested because of how AU it's but when I read the chapter, because I had to (you wrote it, you are Janet!) I was completely :eek:
That was amazing, you've created some kind of mysterious world, and I want only one thing, discover what you have in store for us :smiley:

Thx for the PM

That was amazing, you've created some kind of mysterious world, and I want only one thing, discover what you have in store for us :smiley:

Thx for the PM
thanks :lol: i like creating mysterious worlds... i made up another one in a later fic and it turned out to be one of my faves (Keep Holding On incase ur interested)

Chapter 2
“Sweetheart, did you have a productive day at the library?” Sydney’s mother, Irina, asked her when she returned home shortly before dinner that evening.

“Oh yeah… I got lots of studying done,” Sydney smiled. That wasn’t exactly the whole truth, at least not how her mother saw it. Studying she had done, but that studying didn’t involve her text books. Instead, she’d spent the greater part of the afternoon observing the sandy-haired boy across the library from her, arguing with herself whether his eyes were green or blue.

“So… I guess that means you’ll be going back to that library then, hmm?” her mother asked cautiously. Sydney gave an exasperated sigh and left the kitchen to return her backpack to her room, completely ignoring her mother’s question. They had the same argument time and time again; her mother couldn’t understand why she went to The In-between’s library, when there were plenty of good libraries in East Lasonvia, where they lived. Sydney, on the other hand, couldn’t understand why her mother simply couldn’t accept that she needed to go to The In-between; she liked it there, no one bothered her.

The small European country of Lasonvia, where she lived, was plagued with a turbulent history. Years before her birth, there had been a civil war between the inhabitants of their country. Almost half of the country was made up of people from French decent; the rest was an eclectic mix of Russian, Ukrainian, Romanian and dozens of other countries. These two groups did not see eye to eye when it came to governing their country and, after a year-long battle, they decided the best plan was to divide the country in half. Thus, West Lasonvia and East Lasonvia were born. From then on to the present, Easterners were not allowed into West Lasonvia, nor were Westerners allowed into East Lasonvia. As the years passed, a great divide formed causing much hostility and animosity between the two halves once united. After a decade passed, the laws prohibiting travel between the two countries no longer mattered since no Westerner wished to be associated with an Easterner and vice versa.

The only common place for the two countries to meet (though that desire was rarely found) was The In-between. That three mile square area, nestled between the countries’ largest military bases, was free to be used by both Westerners and Easterners. No one quite knew why it had been created, after all, there was hardly anything there, especially not any residential areas, but it had been created along with the East and West, so it remained.

Sydney liked The In-between. For some reason it gave her a sense of traveling out of her country, even though she really wasn’t since it was a sort of limbo area (The In-between was not a part of East Lasonvia just as much as it was apart of it.) Being of Russian heritage by way of both her parents, Sydney was an Easterner in every sense of the word, except she lacked the hatred towards the Westerners her parents had, especially her father. She didn’t see anything wrong with them. In her mind, they were people just like those citizens of Italy or Austria, or any of the other countries surrounding Lasonvia.

Up in her room, Sydney tried to concentrate on the studying she didn’t get done at the library, but her thoughts drifted back to the sandy-haired man. She had seen him at the library at least once before, perhaps even more than that, but she didn’t know anything about him, not even his name. For a moment, she wondered if he was from the East or the West. It didn’t matter to her either way, but she was curious. It was difficult to tell by simply looking at a person, unless of course they were wearing the Eastern or Western flag somewhere on their clothing, which this man was not doing. She also wondered about his name, how old he was, and what he’d been studying for in the library. Her thoughts went on and on until her mother called her for dinner. Realizing she’d been in her room for a half hour without reading more than three sentences in her text book, Sydney cursed herself silently as she went downstairs to eat dinner.

“Your father called today while you were at the library,” Sydney’s mother informed her while they ate.

“Oh?” Sydney asked in an only mildly interested tone.

“Yes, he wants you to call him between seven and eight this evening,” her mother said.

“Goodie,” Sydney said with sarcasm. Across the table, her mother gave her a stern look. “What? So I’m not all that excited about talking to my father, that’s nothing new,” she said. The truth was she and her father didn’t see eye to eye on… well, anything. They hadn’t since she was a child and things didn’t improve after her parent’s divorce five years earlier.

“Well, you still need to call him.”

“Why?” Sydney groaned.

“Because he’s your father. That might not mean anything to you, but at the very least you should call him because he’s paying the tuition for you to go to college,” her mother pointed out while giving her a look.

“Fiiiiine,” Sydney said with a long and heavy sigh. “But I’m not going to like it,” she added.

“No one said you had to sweetheart,” her mother gave her a smile.

After a grueling conversation with her father, the government man who she saw once, possibly twice, a year, all Sydney felt like doing was going to bed. Yet, she still had studying to do. That time, she did not allow her mind to wander and was able to get a reasonable amount of information memorized. Once that was finished, she allowed herself a daydream break to think about the man from the library. As she got ready for bed that evening, she hoped that the sandy-haired stranger would make a repeat appearance at the library and, if he did, that she would somehow find out who, exactly, he was.

cheers for the update mate! I'm rather intrigued with this story of yours :lol: Just a quick question though (and it may be a little bit silly and not very relevant sorry :blush: ) But is Lasonvia an english speaking country? :thinking: I was just wondering that's all...

Back