The Inside

Yeah... I think :smiley:hide:smiley: it's gone. The only ep we might get to see is the one that was supposed to be the finale. :cry: BUT, according to what I've heard, it will be out on DVD for those of us who want to see the rest of it.

:banghead: :cuss: :stupidcomputer: :o_O: :Pinch: :help: :superangry: :stick: :depressed: :lightsabre: :sniper: :torch: :whip: :spamlaser: :jumpon:

Here's what Minnear has to say (zap2it):

Minear Feels 'Inside' Must Die to Live Again
(Thursday, August 04 04:02 PM)
By Kate O'Hare

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) "We're off forever," declares Tim Minear, executive producer of the FOX crime-noir drama "The Inside." "I predicted on July 3 that there would be six unaired episodes, and there are six unaired episodes."

"The Inside" had a long history before it ever hit the air on June 8. It began as a "21 Jump Street"-style tale of an undercover FBI agent (Rachel Nichols) in high school. When that didn't work out, Minear and pal Howard Gordon ("24"), who'd previously teamed on the short-lived 1999 ABC science-fiction series "Strange World," reworked the idea, turning Nichols' character into a former childhood kidnap victim who parlays her unique insight into investigating serial murder and other heinous crimes.

"I've got two unaired pilots," Minear says. "One of them is the original '21 Jump Street' version. The second one is the first attempt at shooting my script, which we then went back and reshot."

The show wasn't ready for a March launch, and after that, options began to dwindle. Peter Ligouri came over to FOX from FX to replace the departing entertainment chief Gail Berman, and decided to launch "The Inside" as a summer thriller.

"They didn't have time to launch a show," Minear says. "You can launch a procedural in the summer -- TNT proved it. But they knew that 'The Closer' was going to air months before it did, as opposed to weeks, so they had billboards and bus-stop posters. I never watch TNT, and I was completely aware of 'The Closer.' If you didn't watch FOX and didn't see the promos on FOX, you never heard of 'The Inside'. But I don't know what else they could have done with it."

Then there was a little show called "Dancing with the Stars," which aired across from "The Inside" on ABC, on Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET. It turned into a runaway hit. Just about the time that was done, on July 20, FOX premiered its twinkletoed show, "So You Think You Can Dance," on Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET.

The two-hour premiere knocked "The Inside" off the schedule that week, and the show's sudden ratings success encouraged FOX to supersize a couple of subsequent one-hour episodes to 90 minutes.

With no 10 p.m. slot to move to, "The Inside" was left out in the cold.

"We thought the dancing show on ABC was going to kill us," Minear says. "Actually, it was the dancing show on FOX that did."

"The Inside" could theoretically return at some point -- although Nichols' addition to the cast of "Alias" torpedoes future episodes being produced -- but Minear's not so sure he wants it to.

"They kept saying they were going to air them all," he says. "Finally I actually called them and said, 'Could you not? Would it be OK if you just didn't air them all?' I was looking toward the future and a hopeful DVD release. It just felt to me that [having unaired episodes] would make it more valuable to the studio.

"They, of course, did not agree to that."

This is not new territory for Minear, who was executive producer (with creator Joss Whedon) of "Firefly," and executive producer (with creator Bryan Fuller) of "Wonderfalls," both of which were axed by FOX only to find new life as 13-episode DVD sets.

"I already am the king of DVD," Minear says. "I'm trying to convince the studio that it would be a wise move to release 'The Inside' and 'Strange World' as one set, since Howard and I did both of those shows."

"I love that concept," Gordon says. "I'm honored to be included in Tim's company. But 'Strange World' was a couple of years ago, and even when it was out, it was fairly anonymous. I think it's a very nostalgic and forgiving inclusion."

In retrospect, Minear feels that "The Inside" may have been a bit dark for network primetime, especially since it wasn't cloaked in the fantasy and sci-fi elements that dominated his earlier efforts, such as "Firefly" and The WB's "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" spin-off, "Angel."

"There's no question that 'Angel' is darker than 'The Inside,'" Minear says, "but because it was fantasy, it buffered it somehow. On the other hand, I would say that the thing that [co-executive producer] Craig Silverstein and I were doing wasn't realistic cop stuff. It was very hyper-real, very melodramatic, very Douglas Sirk-ian."

Asked if Gordon has sought his services for the new season of "24," Minear says, "God, no. He knows better than that. I'm a creator; I'm not going to carry water for somebody. Plus, I wouldn't make any more money, and it'd be a lot of work."

Minear has a couple of ideas he's pitching for fall, one in the fantasy genre and one not. Although he's had a rocky road so far, it doesn't get him down.

"I take it in stride," he says. "They give me $50 million to make 13 episodes, so I got to do a space Western, a whimsical comedy and an abyss-staring noir. I get to do whatever I want. There's something nice about doing these 13-episode, limited series things.

"Which is not to say that I don't want to create my 'Buffy' or my 'X-Files' or something that's going to resonate with a larger audience and be on for a long time. But what I love about TV is the way it's like a novel. You want to explore different chapters."

What he loves about TV is that "it's like a novel." Huh. That's the way I see it too. :lol: No wonder I like his stuff. :P
✌️

Oh, I think Fox's right hand doesn't know what its left hand is doing. They change their minds so fast their heads are spinning. Stupid Fox. And they wonder why they don't get better ratings . . . ? 4 words: We can't trust you.

(But can we trust any network? When it comes to a show that they're not really behind, they treat it like garbage . . . Boomtown . . . I still remember trying to chase Miracles (ABC), Frank's Place (CBS) and E-Z Streets (CBS) around the schedule. ('Course, Miracles didn't move, you just couldn't depend on it to be on.) Boomtown, FP, and EZS were all critically acclaimed, too. <_<)
✌️

The WB did that with Jack and Jill a buncha years back. They finished off the season with this huge cliffhanger (Jack found out she was pregnant just as she and Jill decided to call off the wedding... and he didn't know), expecting to have the show back. But then it never got picked up. I wanted to wring the WB's neck.

All networks are run by executive monkeys.

How I hate it when they end on cliffhangers!!! E-Z Streets was partly built around the mystery of the death of one of the character's father. Now I'll never know what happened. It was so great. (Jason Gedrick was in that one too. He's had such bad luck with series, and he's so good.) Sorry about being off-topic . . .

But, on-topic, here's an Ask Matt question from Friday:

Question: Has The Inside been canceled? If it has, then I give up. What is the point of anyone investing their time in a new TV series if it's only going to get canceled after a few weeks? This seems to be a growing trend, and a trend that is causing me to rethink the concept of watching any new shows. The Inside had a legitimate shot at becoming a hit if it were given time. What is the hurry in canceling any show? It is not like they're going to replace it with anything other than reruns of long-in-the-tooth shows such as Malcolm in the Middle. After all, Fox has given that Ron Howard show (Arrested Development) so much opportunity to succeed, and yeah, it's critically acclaimed, but that show couldn't draw flies if it were shown at a garbage dump. Isn't this going to be the third year for Arrested Development? Everybody Loves Raymond and Seinfeld weren't hits when they started, but over time they developed a huge audience. Shows are being canceled too quickly. — Z.G.

Matt Roush: Except, according to your argument (on AD), when they're not. First off, yes, The Inside is dead, and two of its stars have already landed new gigs: Rachel Nichols on Alias and Peter Coyote on Commander-In-Chief (he'll be Geena Davis' vice president). Can't really empathize with you on The Inside, which I'll admit I didn't give much of a chance beyond the first month's worth of episodes. But it was doomed from the moment Fox launched it in the summer. It was obviously a burn-off, and the best way to watch it was to enjoy it while it lasted, as if it were a limited series. But to address your larger gripe: Most shows fail; it's a fact. And many shows that fail deserve to. There are also always going to be shows that a small but devoted few enjoy that will vanish too soon, and others that somehow miraculously get to run a handful of seasons (Arrested Development, yes, but also gems like Once and Again, Ed and American Dreams). The answer isn't to give up on new shows altogether, but to embrace the best of the new as they arrive, taking a risk and a leap of faith that once in a while your loyalty will be rewarded.

Oops, sorry, yes, and he answers questions for people on Mondays and Fridays on TV Guide Online.

:whimpers: I just went to the Fox website and The Inside is no longer listed...

We all knew it was gonna happen... but I dunno. I'm still really sad.

Back