Comedy The Interview (2014)

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: The Interview

Tagline: The Film Hackers Tried To Get Banned

Genre: Action, Comedy

Director: Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg

Cast: James Franco, Seth Rogen, Lizzy Caplan, Randall Park, Diana Bang, Timothy Simons, Reese Alexander, James Yi, Paul Bae, Geoff Gustafson, Dominique Lalonde, Anesha Bailey, Anders Holm, Charles Rahi Chun, Don Chow, Jason Cox, Tommy Chang, Eminem, Ben Schwartz, Rob Lowe, Colin Foo, Larry Hoe, Cleo Yeh, Yuna Song, Fred Henderson, Dan Shea, Joe Mande, Alice Wetterlund, Stacey Turner, Sam Catlin, Alan Blumenfeld, Curt Clendenin, David Diaan, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Nicki Minaj, James Kyson, Bill Maher, Seth Meyers, Emma Stone, Andrew Chin, Hazeltine Gariza, Peenkay Tang, John Coughlin

Release: 2014-12-25

Runtime: 113

Plot: Dave Skylark and his producer Aaron Rapaport run the celebrity tabloid show "Skylark Tonight". When they land an interview with a surprise fan, North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un, they are recruited by the CIA to turn their trip to Pyongyang into an assassination mission.
The Interview (2014)

I'm sure most of you have heard about the The Interview by now, the movie with Seth Rogen & James Franco that supposedly led to Sony getting hacked by North Korea.

Reading the local news this morning I couldn't help but laugh at a dumbass who tried to cash in on the controversy by buying a bunch of tickets for one of the limited showings of the movie and then scalping the tickets. Turns out scalping doesn't work too well when the same movie is then released in a slightly wider market and is also available online at a cheaper price. I don't call people "dumbass" very often but it applies to this guy. :blush:

Man wants refund after buying $650 in tickets to 'The Interview'

Man wants refund after buying $650 in tickets to 'The Interview'

Sony apparently isn't the only one who lost money on "The Interview" last week.

A man in Ohio tried to cash in on the buzz surrounding Seth Rogen and James Franco's new comedy when he purchased $650 in tickets or 50 passes at $13 each to the movie.

According to WCPO in Cincinnati, Jason Best learned that a local theater in Clifton was among the 300 theaters to play the controversial film on Christmas Day and hoped to resell the tickets online at a higher price (i.e., he wanted to scalp them).

"I saw all the hype about 'The Interview' on the 23rd and thought, 'Hey, folks are selling these tickets in other cities and it seems like that's the thing to do right now so why not give it a shot so see how it goes,"' he said.

But the plan backfired once Sony announced it was streaming the film online for half the price on sites like YouTube, Hulu and Netflix.

Now the man is demanding a refund from the Esquire Theatre.

"I thought I'd get my money back because the theater's website *very clearly* said the tickets were refundable," Best told WCPO in an email.

But a theater manager told Best that the arthouse didn't have a website and that "The Interview" was listed as a special event.

It turns out Best had purchased the tickets from movietickets.com, which specifically warns on its website that theater owners reserve the right to withhold refunds for special events.

Plus the manager said that scalping tickets was illegal.

The $40 million-budgeted "Interview," which expanded to iTunes on Sunday, recently changed from a wide to limited release after North Korean hackers threatened to harm theatergoers.

The R-rated comedy earned nearly $3 million at the U.S. box office this weekend.