Sci-Fi The Island (2005)

boyscout4747 said:
I was reading some magazine and it was an article about "The Island" and it said something along the lines of....

"And you thought 'The Bourne Supremacy' and 'Matrix Reloaded' were the champs of car chases'

WAIT!  I found it.  It was an article about the "10 Movies that Could Save Summer" at www.msn.com.  It said :
"The Island"
Lowdown: Two clones (Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson) try to escape their predetermined fate.
Why see it: It may be director Michael Bay's best movie ever. OK, it's a backhanded compliment in some respects ... but here it's definitely a good thing.
Look out for: Car chases. They said no one could top the ones in "The Matrix Reloaded" and "The Bourne Supremacy." Think again.
[post="1417113"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

LOL OMG hey Frank it's Syd

GOGO hey... lol

Anyways I can't wait for this movie to come out. I just got Entertainment Weekly with Ewan and Scarlett on the cover.

This coming FRI eek can't wait.

This movie does look good. I like Ewan with his haircut in this film vs. the Star Wars Episode II & III. The trailers make this look like an outstanding movie, I hope it lives up to the trailers. (y)

My friend got me a mini poster for it. :D I was happy but omg the Photoshopping on it? HORRENDOUS. :lol: I expected better from such an FX-centric movie lol. ^_^

I didn't have a desire to see this movie until I saw Scarlett talking about it on the Today show this morning... The way she talked about it made it sound really good.... I had a chance to see a sneek peek (because they were showing it for the employees of the company I work for) but opted not to -- now I'm wishing I did... Oh well....

:woot: Oh man oh man. I read that MSN thing..about the car crashes...and the comparison to Matrix and since then I've been 10 times as much excited :lol:

I thought it was too long, but there were some cool action sequences and Ewan and Scarlett had good chemistry. I liked Sean Bean too, but I'm sick of him always playing a bad guy! (James Bond, LOTR, National Treasure, etc.)

secretagent03 said:
I liked it a lot!  It was really good, but then of course I'm into the sci-fi thing... But it was good anyway!!! 
GO SEE IT!  really good
oh and Ewan! :woot:
[post="1430045"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Not to but in with your conversation...but i liked it too! Although i dont like the fact that people out there are willing to pay for their "Clone" to be killed to save their own life after finding out that these genetically made things actually have feelings and a life of their own. It was awesome though! :lol:

I'm going to see it tonight! :D

OK I finally saw it. This is so weird up until last week, I had seen 2 movies in the last 3 months. In the last 3 days, I've seen 2 movies LOL

OK wow. Ok, my review. There are spoilers of some things that happen in the movie, so BEWARE

OK first off, HOW THE HELL did this get a PG-13? I mean the Matrix movies aren't this intense! I mean the pods that grow people? Cutting ambilical(sp?) cords? Drowning people, when they killed that woman after she had her baby, killing people WHO ARE CURRENTLY GROWING, having little bugs being inserted in someone's eye, Using a bone saw to open someone's chest and then using guns that have, what, like needles that shot into people's legs? How about every time something crashed, it wasn't just an "action" crash. It was like a BANGING METAL crash. The language, sex was all PG-13, but seriously. WOW.

OK aside of that, I can honestly saw this was the most intense, horrifying, and disturbing movie I have ever seen. After the first hour, I just felt sick to my stomach. Not because it was TOO gross, but just because I couldn't believe how risky it was. That may have taken away from the experience, but none the less.....

This may be the first Michael Bay movie that I didn't appreciate his approach to the action sequences. Basically it was a loud and clangy movie. After the first sequence, I was sick of the LOUD HELICOPTERS that did nothing. There were some incredibly well done chase sequences, the falling "R", the Wasps, car chase, and one of the on foot chases were all very exciting. But a lot of the action was just LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD. At one point, I just put my hands up to my eyes. It wasn't worth it. Like the ending with the fans exploading. I was just like "OH COME ON! Could they THINK of more ways to make really loud sounds? Because it's getting annoying.

The acting was servicable, and I think that the best aspect of the movie was watching Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johannson playing these characters that didn't know anything. "He's taking a dump in a can?!" "Sex?!" "Why haven't we done this before?" "That tongue thing is amazing!" "I don't know....but I want one!" All of those scenes were incredibly entertaining.

The whole premise of the movie was really interesting and I loved each "discovery" that was revealed. There were a couple parts when I was taken aback by the sheer volume of the project.

I absolutely loved the ending. SPOILERS! When the holographic outside world went down and everyone saw the sun and ran outside. Seriously, like a REALLY AWESOME ending.

I was also surprised on how many jumpy moments were in the movie. The beginning on the boat, the "Vaughn" moment with the cars, just a lot of moments where they tried to thrill.

And I counted. There wee FOUR people in that movie who have been on ALIAS before. If you want to know, I can tell you who they are............

And Scarlet Johannson is absolutely GORGEOUS.

Overall: I felt that maybe if Michael Bay hadn't done this movie, it would have turned out much better. He blew too many things up, there was too much action, it was too "big". It still was a very entertaining movie, but for me, I kept thinking "Wow, this movie could have been a lot better"

Final Rating: 3.5 / 5

It has basically gotten bad reviews from critics and everyone i know who saw it, is there anyone here who actually truly enjoyed it? and should i see it even if i dont really likesci-fi that much? or should i stay away from this movie if i dont like sci-fi :thinking:

for a Michael Bay movie, i was really bummed out, i only went to see it cuz he directed it... i mean he did such an amazing job on Armageddon and Pearl Habor! but this movie was just disappointing

^Then again, they weren't supposed to be dramatic individuals. I was actually impressed with Scarlet for capturing the "dumb clone" aspect. Her emotions were all very rigid and changed and were influenced by her surroundings. So either that was INTENDED, or I'm right there with ya! :lol:

The only thing is -- they were supposed to be human, despite their inexperience with the outside world. It wasn't just the "what's a kiss?" thing. It was... everything. :P Oh well. ^_^