Season 2 The Kalan Theory

Kalan

Cadet
Well I've been asked by a couple of different people to start a topic based on my theory. Talk about it, add to it, refine it, and for heaven's sake, tell me what might be wrong with it!

Here it goes...The Kalan Theory

Remember that the assembled Rambaldi Device is called "the Telling." So i think that 2 years isn't really in the future. it's not real time. it's a glimpse. it's a telling of things to come. like there's no time travel, but sydney is seeing something outside our realm of reality (think The Matrix). Actually i think the plot has a lot of similarities to the matrix...there's a prophecy that says there is only one who can save the world...let me know what you think!

There's been some other talk (thanks to CrazySpinster and lenkid) about how the concept of free will fits in to all of this. Instead of spoonfeeding all of that from the other forums, I'll just turn it over to whoever wants to discuss it! Enjoy!

Irina tells Syd ...
Sloane tells Jack ...

In the end, thats what free will is all about ... you choose what you want to do ...

Free Will . . .

I absolutely agree with your theory! Maybe syd can see the different sides of some choice that she will have to make concerning the prophecy and rambaldi, hence free will. or maybe not.

That is a great theory.....In fact..I think it will help me sleep better at night knowing that it is just a glimpse into the future and not the real thing.... :smiley:

yay! i'm glad you separated it and created a whole 'nother topic for it. i was afraid it would get buried in all those other topics.

okay, so i'm basically going to be cutting and pasting a couple of my other posts but with a few changes to make it a tad easier to understand. :P

so here's another thing to think about in addition to kalan's theory: free will.

it was mentioned several times in this episode and i think it's huge. i remember it being mentioned twice - when irina was talking to sydney on the phone and when sloane met with jack and told him that he "still has free will."

i think this has a lot to do with the telling. it has to be a huge clue. if kalan's theory is right and the telling allows you to see the future then perhaps the free will that sloane refers to is the power to be able to "change" your future. the fact that you now have the power and the "free will" to change anything you want.

but then it becomes confusing because how can jack "still have free will" if he can't see what sloane sees? presumably, sloane has free will because he's seen what will come and has the knowledge to shape the future any way he wants. but then kalan suggested that maybe everyone has free will but sloane (and possibly irina) are just "better informed."

i know this can all be a bit confusing and this is exactly the reason why i hate bringing time paradoxes into the picture. confusion run amok!! :blink: i mean, it brings into question just how many possible futures there can be. the telling may even allow you to see all of them! or only one, who knows.

so anyway, what do you guys think? what did sloane mean by telling jack that he still has free will when sloane is the one in possession of a device that may potentially allow him to change anything he wants in the future? does the telling (according to kalan's theory) give free will to its users or take their free will away?

ok, semi-awake brain is not working as well as completely exhausted brain did last night ;) but here's what I've got on this one.

By what Sloane said to Jack, he obviously has seen something, and knows the changes that are coming. He knows what's going to happen, and really if you think about that, that sort of takes away your free will. If it's going to happen, nothing you do will stop it from happening.

Ok, so since Irina told Sydney that she is the propechy girl, (which I still don't get, because I thought they disproved that last season) and that she and Sloane were the only two who were chosen to accpect Rambaldi's blood or whatever. With that in mind, I'm assuming that whatever power Sloane was able to gain from The Telling, Sydney also would have gained it.

Now, I'm thinking that Sydney is in fact two years in the future. She's seeing what can happen, however, since she thinks that she's still in the present (well hers any ways), that would mean that her free will is still intact.

I'm betting as the season goes on, she'll realize, and I'm sure Irina will help her to understand what has happened, and using the free will that she still possesses, she will be able to go back to now, and stop Sloane from ever activating The Telling.

Whoa! I think even my mind blew with that post. :blink:

hmmm....i don't know if i really like the idea of the telling turning into an actual time machine device. i like it as more of a "crystal ball" type thing. but then again, if it was just a crystal ball type thing, then who's to say that what the telling reveals is, in fact, real? it could all just be smoke and mirrors or someone's VERY active imagination.

but what if there's more than one future? yes, sloane's seen what's to come, but wouldn't he still be able to change things NOW by seeing how things have unfolded in the future? this presents the idea of multiple futures, that there isn't just one single path that everyone follows. and this also brings up things like predestination, fate, destiny...all that great stuff.

Whoa! I think even my mind blew with that post. :blink:

"you hear that sound? that boom? that's my mind blowing." - marshall. :lol:

see, as of now, I really don't want there to be tons of different futures. That would make the show just way too confusing, and way too sci-fi. But then again, watch JJ pull it off with ease, and me in a couple months saying how much I love it. ;)

but if the telling takes away your free will then where's the power in the "ultimate" rambaldi device?

or do you think it was a double-edged sword? rambaldi offered all the secrets to the future but knew full well that no one would be able to use those secrets? huh...that's interesting!

But then again, watch JJ pull it off with ease, and me in a couple months saying how much I love it. 

that was me after phase one. ;)

about the whole mtn disproving prophesy thing, maybe the syd in the "future" doesn't count as the same syd who saw the mtn., or maybe she really did sort of die, and come back 2 yrs later. ok well i haven't exactly developed this, but i think that the telling will "change" syd so that she is sort of a different person than the one that saw the mtn.

well, so far, all things that rambaldi has created has been for destruction. (hello firebomb?) so I mean, who's to say that this Telling isn't one more thing that will bring destruction.

Actually, wouldn't that make sense with the prophecy? how she will bring utter desolation? maybe that's how she does it because somehow The Telling was used on her. Hmmmm.

totally! I wish I could've analyzed something like this in one of my classes. Maybe I actually would have put some effort into it. ;)

crazy spinster said:
or do you think it was a double-edged sword? rambaldi offered all the secrets to the future but knew full well that no one would be able to use those secrets? huh...that's interesting!
i love this...it completely hadn't crossed my mind. i'll have to think on it though...

Although the time travel idea is interesting, I don't think it's the way the writers will go. For one thing it's a bit too sci-fi, too "Quantum Leap".

Quantum physics models of time suggest that time may consist of multiple, infinite possible realities that co-exist, each with different probabilities of existing based on events and other factors. Changing any one event may or may not chane these probabilities thereby pushing you (or not) into a different reality.

I think instead that "Il Dire" may be a type of crystal ball that can predict the possibilty of what may occur, given current events.

The 2 year time lapse gives the writers immense creative leeway. Maybe what we see is a glimpse of what will happen, and the writers will use the next season to tell us how things got there.

Free will CANNOT exist if our futures are already decided for us. That is to say, if you can see directly into the future to see what happens, then you know what people would do to get there. If instead "Il Dire" is more of a probablility generator that allows you to see probabilities of different realities that would happen if a certain thing took place, it preserves free will. This would give its holder the ultimate power since they could predict the chances of events occuring by factoring in the decisions others have made.

Sorry if this dragged on... :asleep:

Rambaldi had to have some way to access the future. Time travel or a device that allows you to see the future are good posiblities.

There has always been a scifi part of the show because for Rambaldi to be right and develop items that could not be built back then there has to be some sort of fantastic reason for it.

Oh, just had a thought may start a thread on it. :idea:
Maybe the 47’s we keep encountering are not a inside joke link to Star Trek but the 47’s are caused by the “Telling” anytime time has been manipulated in the fabric of reality.:alien::nuke:

Wow my mind is totally blown now. :thud:

LeXicon said:
Although the time travel idea is interesting, I don't think it's the way the writers will go. For one thing it's a bit too sci-fi, too "Quantum Leap".

Quantum physics models of time suggest that time may consist of multiple, infinite possible realities that co-exist, each with different probabilities of existing based on events and other factors. Changing any one event may or may not chane these probabilities thereby pushing you (or not) into a different reality.

I think instead that "Il Dire" may be a type of crystal ball that can predict the possibilty of what may occur, given current events.

The 2 year time lapse gives the writers immense creative leeway. Maybe what we see is a glimpse of what will happen, and the writers will use the next season to tell us how things got there.

Free will CANNOT exist if our futures are already decided for us. That is to say, if you can see directly into the future to see what happens, then you know what people would do to get there. If instead "Il Dire" is more of a probablility generator that allows you to see probabilities of different realities that would happen if a certain thing took place, it preserves free will. This would give its holder the ultimate power since they could predict the chances of events occuring by factoring in the decisions others have made.

Sorry if this dragged on... :asleep:
if you read the first post, this is almost exactly what i describe. i don't think it's time travel either. i think, in fact, that crazy spinster has actually used the term "crystal ball" in reference to what we're talking about here. we think the time travel idea would be silly as well ;) i'm glad you agree with us, though!

Back