The Library Thing

Tom

An Old Friend
I added a new module to my facebook and thought of you all at CoolSciFi
Heres the Library Thing

Over twenty-two million books on members' bookshelves.

About LibraryThing

Help? Go ahead and take the tour! We also have a "A very short introduction to LibraryThing."
> Help and Frequently Asked Questions

What is LibraryThing?

LibraryThing is an online service to help people catalog their books easily. You can access your catalog from anywhere—even on your mobile phone. Because everyone catalogs together, LibraryThing also connects people with the same books, comes up with suggestions for what to read next, and so forth.
What software does it require?

None. If you can read this, you can use LibraryThing.
What does it cost?

A free account allows you to catalog up to 200 books. A paid account allows you to catalog any number of books. Paid personal accounts cost $10 for a year or $25 for a lifetime. (See here for organizational accounts.) I conservatively predict the revenue will enable me to recline all day on an enormous pile of gold.
What information do I need to give up?

None. Setting up an account requires only a user name and a password. You can also edit your profile to make yours a "private" account. With a private account, nobody else can see what books you have.
What else does LibraryThing do?

LibraryThing is a full-powered cataloging application, searching the Library of Congress, all five national Amazon sites, and more than 80 world libraries. You can edit your information, search and sort it, "tag" books with your own subjects, or use the Library of Congress and Dewey systems to organize your collection.
If you want it, LibraryThing is also an amazing social space, often described as "MySpace for books" or "Facebook for books." You can check out other people's libraries, see who has the most similar library to yours, swap reading suggestions and so forth. LibraryThing also makes book recommendations based on the collective intelligence of the other libraries.
Who is behind LibraryThing?

LibraryThing was created by Tim Spalding, a web developer and web publisher based in Portland, Maine. Tim also runs www.isidore-of-seville.com, www.ancientlibrary.com, www.bramblestory.com and mothboard.com. Since becoming a "real" business in May 2006, LibraryThing now employs a number of talented people. More about the rest of the team on the Press info page.
Where does LibraryThing get its information?

LibraryThing uses Amazon and libraries that provide open access to their collections with the Z39.50 protocol. The protocol is used by a variety of desktop programs, notably bibliographic software like EndNote. LibraryThing appears to be the first mainstream web use.
How can authors use LibraryThing?

Every author automatically has an "author page" on LibraryThing—it's generated by the system as soon as someone adds a book written by you to their library.
Add a photo or picture to your author page.
Add links to your website, your blog, your publisher, interviews, fan sites, etc.
LibraryThing is also a great place for authors to connect on a personal level with their readers. Become an official LibraryThing Author, and showcase some of your personal books for interested readers.
How can libraries use LibraryThing?

Fully integrate LibraryThing's social data into your catalog using LibraryThing for Libraries. LTFL lets you add tag-based browsing, book recommendations, ratings, reviews and more to your OPAC, by integrating with LibraryThing and its high-quality book data.
Use a LibraryThing widget to display new books or featured books on your library's website. You'll have to create a LibraryThing account, and add the books to it. Then use one of our widgets to generate code that you can just copy and paste into your website.
Small organizations and libraries can use LibraryThing to as a catalog for their collection.
How can publishers use LibraryThing?

Join our Early Reviewers program. LibraryThing Early Reviewers ("LTER") gives LibraryThing members the chance to read and review advanced copies of upcoming books from select publishers, in exchange for reviews. Our algorithms match up books with readers based on the other books in their library—putting books in the hands of people who will likely enjoy them. Contact Abby (abby
squiggle.gif
librarything.com) to learn more.
If you produce ONIX feeds, we'd love to discuss getting them to add more information to the pages for your books on LibraryThing.
How can bookstores use LibraryThing?

Add a link to your store in our "Find at" book links section. All you need is a URL that contains an ISBN. Learn more.
Integrate with LibraryThing to add your store's availability and pricing information to every work page. Details on how to integrate are here.

Kevin, Is there a CoolSciFi facebook group I can Join?

I started adding my books - I now have two pages entered by IBSN.
Its just the ones I have in the shelf in the bedroom. I'm not ready to tackle the family room, living room or attic yet.

An interesting concept... a social networking site based around book collections.

I'm not sure which one I'm surprised at... Skwirl' learning quilt patterns or that the CueCat is still around! :eek:

;)

LOL, Wife makes quilts, It was on my bookshelf and since I helped I included it because I read it

Back