Fantasy The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Scarlet Crystal

Bibbity Rabbity
The Chronicles of Narnia: the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: A Movie After My Own Heart

Directed by Andrew Adamson
Starring Georgie Henley, Skandar Keynes, William Moseley, Anna Popplewell, Tilda Swinton, and James McAvoy
Released December 2005
Rated PG
Summary from imbd:

Based on the classic novel by CS Lewis, four London children are sent to a professor’s country home in order for protection during World War II. There they find a magic wardrobe which leads to a mystical land called Narnia, which is being ruled by an evil witch. To defeat the Witch, they must join forces with Aslan, the lion of Narnia, and the great battle between good and evil.

>>> My review contains some plot spoilers, as is to be expected.

I have many obsessions: some overlapping, some not. They all have something in common, however. They are usually fantastical, original, and possibly involve separate worlds or universes, even. Narnia is no exception to this rule. It was probably the first obsession (after Star Wars) that took hold of me. I read all seven books at bedtime with my father as a little girl. I’ve seen some of the original movies (or were they television mini-series? I can’t remember…), but I have always loved the books from the bottom of my heart.

Since those nights so long ago, I’ve reread the books multiple times. I know the stories very well, and I was thus overwhelmingly excited when I heard that book 2, The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe was being made into a full-length movie.

I didn’t really mind that they started with book 2. After all, he wrote that one first. Whatever order they film them in, I know I’ll see them all. But anyway! Back to the movie. Much like I did with King Kong and countless other films, I prepared myself months ahead of time by visiting the film’s website. For movie clip junkies like me, there were many treasures to be had, along with photos and so on. When the movie finally came out, I arranged to see it twice: once with my family (and with my dad, who read the books with me originally) and once exactly a week later with some of my friends.

The movie started with a bit of back story, as the audience expected. When the four Pevensie children Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy (to put them in the order of their age) are sent in a group to the countryside to avoid bombing raids in England, I was already getting caught up in the film. Their mother’s tearful good-bye was very effective, though I refused to get emotional within the first ten minutes of the movie.

The actors who play the children seemed very well cast to me from the very beginning. Georgie Henley played Lucy. Her naivety was well executed. I was later very surprised to learn that Henley had never been in a movie before. Skandar Keynes played Edmund successfully, with his brooding and bullying qualities. William Moseley was my personal favorite as Peter, the oldest child in the family. Not only did he catch my eye, but he convinced the audience that he was struggling to be a responsible older sibling and roll model to his brother and sisters. Anna Popplewell played the character of Susan. While part of me wasn’t sure she was quite pretty enough to start out, she proved to me soon enough that she was capable of being a bit bossy but very loyal to her family.

Lucy’s first adventure into the wardrobe brings her to Lantern Waste, where she meets Mr. Tumnus. I happily compared him to a mental image of the cover of book 2 and found them nearly identical. James McAvoy sported faun legs and ears, carrying with him wrapped boxes and an umbrella, the perfect image of the description in the book.

In many cases, I often hold the opinion that books and their film counterparts don’t have to be mirror images. In fact, I often support some deviation if it adds to the film. For example, the arrival of the elves at Helm’s Deep in LOTR: The Two Towers was not at all in the books, but I loved it anyway. But with Narnia, I’d come to know it at such a young age that I was sure I wanted it to be preserved as CS Lewis wrote it. And as far as I could tell, the entire movie was true to the book.

Back in England, Edmund remains an ass, so to speak, and Peter continues to work on his control. With Lucy’s return to England, then to Narnia (this time followed by Edmund), and then to England again, the audience is completely settled into the story. I was captivated, personally, but of course I can’t say that for the non-lovers of Narnia who have seen the movie.

The Professor was an interesting character. I was glad they allowed him a scene or two in the film, as book 1, The Magician’s Nephew, is about him. But once all four of the children stumble through the back of the wardrobe into Narnia, I was content to stay there until the end.

Mr. and Mrs. Beaver made a comical pair. With Edmund’s betrayal and their flight from the captain of police, the audience learned a lot of valuable information about Narnia, the White Witch, and whatnot. Edmund, of course, thinks of nothing but his stomach. Tilda Swinton, the infamous Witch who has forcefully taken hold of Narnia, was pale with a massive hair apparatus and thick winter dresses. Generally, her look and personality were very accurate. Her magical staff (which turns her enemies to stone when she touches them) was icy and evil to match her wintry magic. Characters like Mr. Tumnus and the fox were turned to stone through it, breaking many hearts (or mine, at least).

Once Peter, Susan, and Lucy arrived in Aslan’s camp, I’d fallen in love with the music. After about two days, I bought the entire soundtrack on iTunes. I sincerely recommend it. In terms of the film, it served the storyline and the mood very well from start to finish.

Aslan himself was everything I’d hoped he’d be, with the exception of a slightly deeper voice. Liam Neeson spoke for the enormous, golden lion, whose face was amazingly expressive and whose presence blew me away. I think that might have been where I finally couldn’t completely hold back my tears; I was so happy. I can’t really explain it, but the movie had a powerful effect on me.

Peter soon proves himself and is knighted, like in the book. Susan shows her immature side, and Lucy throws her knife with precision. Edmund is returned and forgiven, and soon enough, night has fallen and Aslan is headed for the Stone Table.

The Christian symbolism was present, as in the books. I think it was somewhat downplayed, but at times very blatant and unveiled. To those that weren’t looking for it (as I know many audience members were, for various reasons), it wasn’t overwhelmingly apparent until the Lion (Aslan) is resurrected (like Jesus). Aslan’s explanation tells of pure love, sacrifice, and Old Magic, so I doubt most of the audience didn’t mind what it all represented. Later on, an engaged viewer will note that Aslan walks—well, runs, actually—on water. It isn’t shown in any of the scenes, but we do see Aslan bound over the crest of a hill with Lucy and Susan on his back as he heads for the castle of the White Witch. Formerly, the fortress was in the middle of a frozen lake, which by then had melted. So whether or not the audience picked up on it, Aslan walks on water as Jesus did, according to the Bible. By not showing the actual footage (who knows if they even made some?) they attempted to downplay the Christian symbolism, which I didn’t mind and I’m sure others appreciated.

The battle sequence was captivating, with the White Witch wearing fur cut from Aslan’s mane. I enjoyed the action and was glad they hadn’t chosen to make it very simple and quick to try for a G rating. Peter (who I’ve already said was my favorite, and who I like so much that I had to say it again) fought his own battles, with his sword and shield. He even battled the White Witch before Aslan finished her off. Edmund takes a hit, almost as penance for his betrayal, but everything turns out beautifully and Peter and Edmund forgive each other. I thought the acting in that particular scene was astounding, especially from the two boys.

As with all great movies, I was sad when it ended, but also happy. I’ve always wanted to go to Narnia, and there are six more movies to take me there, all of which I anticipate (except for maybe book 6, The Silver Chair, which I don’t like as much as the others). From what I gathered from my friends and family members who hadn’t loved Narnia as much as I did, they enjoyed the movie, too. So I’d recommend it for everyone. It’s not just for little kiddies. It’s for anybody and everybody.

MY RATING: 5 out of 5 stars

...coming soon: a reveiw for Brokeback Moutain

Very good review of the movie, all credits to you SC (y) (I love your taste in good movies :smiley: )

I’ve seen some of the original movies (or were they television mini-series? I can’t remember)

It was actually a mini-series, but very unlike the book. The Movie was more like the book!

I think Aslan was flying in the series :lol:

I really love CS Lewis, and the fact that he was very good friends with J.R.R Tolkien ;) You could clarly see the resemblance between LWW and the LOTR ( Same special effects team ) and i liked that very much ;)

Very good review.

I read all the Chronicles at a young age, being the first books I ever really got in to. After seeing this film I'm motivated to go out and buy the books and read the stories once more, refreshing my memories before anymore of the films come out. I've always believed that it's better to read the book first than to see the film and then read them.

Back