Politics The Metric System

i think the metric system makes more sense but the "american" system is the one i grew up on so its the only one i can think of proportionatly. like if you say "10 km" it means nothing to me, but 10 miles does ^_^

SiriCerasi said:
i think the metric system makes more sense but the "american" system is the one i grew up on so its the only one i can think of proportionatly. like if you say "10 km" it means nothing to me, but 10 miles does ^_^
ditto. and i would probably try to convert the km to mi if someone were to tell be 10 km, which is around 6 mi

they really should change it but we did talk about this once in civics and the only prob would be that 1) that it would cost alot 2)we would have to reteach people/ teach people and considering that we're already in debt like more than we can pay off and more thanx to BUSH i duno if that's possible at the moment

The metric system would be much easier in the long run, but I like customary units better for one reason: I'm used to it :P

I've been learning the metric system since first grade, and it doesn't take much to learn them, but the fact that we don't use them makes it hard to get used to. I still don't have the hang of it.

That, and the already mentioned reasons of cost and reteaching, etc.

When I went to Europe, the metric system did not help me at all. "France, 10 km"
Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? :lol:

^_^ i want to go to france. :sigh:

We have to know the metric system on our test for bio next week and it's so annoying to convert :rolleyes:

K H D D C M

Kilo Hecto Deca? Deci? or Deci Deca? And Centi and Milli

haha i remember it by Kosher Hot Dogs Don't Cost much :lol:

You see, I AM CANADIAN, and we kinda use both. We do not use inches, but we do use centimeters. BUt we use feet, and if you ask people their height most say 5"__, I don't know my height in centimeters. And Weight people use punds, KG is rarely used. We do use KM, never miles. But I don't know if this is a measurement, but why do Americans use Farenheit? AHHH, its so confusing, everyone else uses Celcius. lol

I wish the US would switch over to the metric system, too. I realize it would cost a lot of money, but it would be nice to be in step with the rest of the world!

Of course, like several have already mentioned, it would take quite a while before I was used to the metric system. I know what the different units are, but I couldn't estimate a distance in kilometers, like I could in miles. Still, I'd be more than willing to learn.

I never thought of the money issue. How expensive it would be to convert to the metric system :blink:

I wish america was just smart and started off with the rest of the world. :sigh:

LOL that's so true! I use Celsius and it's soooo confusing when I try to explain the weather over here, because some of my relatives use Farenheit! I'll be like well it was --40C over here, and they're totally baffled at how the temp here can go into minus. But in actuality --40C is like --35F or something, which means it really is that cold. :thinking:

[quote name='Sweet Blazin'' date='Oct 4 2003, 06:11 PM']LOL that's so true! I use Celsius and it's soooo confusing when I try to explain the weather over here, because some of my relatives use Farenheit! I'll be like well it was --40C over here, and they're totally baffled at how the temp here can go into minus. But in actuality --40C is like --35F or something, which means it really is that cold. :thinking:[/quote]
eeeeeeee celcius is so confusing, but i guess if i actually took time to understand it, it would make more sence than ferieghnhight. all european measurements make more sense than ours in the US. :lol:

Kara said:
The only thing I don't get about the metric system is kgs and meters... I'm so much more comfortable with feet and pounds. But I don't know how long a mile is, I know it's 1.6 kilometres... But yea, the metric system is good. :smiley:

And someone said that a metre can only be divided into 2 and 5, but a metre is 100cm, so it can be divided (easily) into 2, 4, 5, 10, and then of course 20, 25, 50 etc. I use cms for everything except height, because once I get into 2 metres 76 cms, it's hard to picture how tall that is. ;)
1 metre = 100 centimetres !!

SiriCerasi said:
It's the contrary for me 10 miles ?? 10 km : ah ! :D
I'm forced to know how to convert because you speak in miles, pounds, farenheit (sp ?)...

[quote name='Sweet Blazin'' date='Oct 5 2003, 02:11 AM']LOL that's so true! I use Celsius and it's soooo confusing when I try to explain the weather over here, because some of my relatives use Farenheit! I'll be like well it was --40C over here, and they're totally baffled at how the temp here can go into minus. But in actuality --40C is like --35F or something, which means it really is that cold. :thinking:[/quote]
Farenheit are always more than Celcius, 40°C can't be 35°F

To make things clear : The Metric System

A kilogram is about 2.2 pounds. A metric ton is about 2200 pounds.
98.6 degrees Fahrenheit is the same temperature as 37 degrees Celsius.

From the bigger to the smaller : here
The more common below :
Kilo, Hecto, Deca, m for metre or l for litre or g for gram, Deci, Centi, Milli

Sophie said:

No it can't, but the lower the temp gets..ie -40C, the closer the temps are. I think its about at -40 when the two temperatures are equal.

Sophie said:
1 metre = 1000 centimetres !!!!
No not quite right

1 metre = 100cm (centimetres)
1cm = 10mm (milimetres)

The deci unit isnt really used anywhere (ie Decimetre, decigram)

to convert from fahrenheit to celsius
5/9 x fahrenheit temp -32

I believe the metric system is much easier to use ( of course im biased - I live in New Zealand)
After all its much easier to multiply 8x10 in your head than 8x12

Archangel said:
No not quite right

1 metre = 100cm (centimetres)
1cm = 10mm (milimetres)

The deci unit isnt really used anywhere (ie Decimetre, decigram)

to convert from fahrenheit to celsius
5/9 x fahrenheit temp -32
you're right I was probably once again in another world (why does it happen a lot to me ?? -_- )

Back