The movie cliches thread

sugababyboo

mrs. charlie
So, let's talk about the cliches that we love to hate. :D

Almost all teen movies have one dance or prom scene.

A contrived dance sequence in which somehow everyone knows the moves and they're in sync with one another (this usually happens in a comedy of sorts)

Horror movies...Virgins live and non-virgins must die, although there are exceptions.

A workaholic parent eventually chooses his/her family over his/her career.

Lovers reuniting in the rain.

When a killer spends too much time talking to their potential victim and gets arrested before doing anything.

Walking into the sunset.

When nerds get made over and are immediately embraced by the popular kids in school.

Dumb police officers in horror movies.

In almost every movie Tom Cruise has been in he always has ONE scene where he just freaks out and starts screaming and even kicking. It's quite funny to watch since he is a very short man.

In a romantic comedy when the guy screws up and sings horribly to his girlfriend trying to get her back.

When a sad person is looking outside a window while it's raining.

During a fight sequence the woman jumps on the guy's back..what the hell is that going to do? Unless she's a giant, absolutely nothing! Like Drew Barrymore in Charlie's Angels when she and her fellow Angels are fighting Crispin Glover in an alley, she does that move while screaming. Their characters are supposed to be martial artists and she does that move?! thumbdown

In a romance/romantic comedy it's almost guaranteed that the girlfriend or boyfriend will end at the airport and will successfully stop his or hers significant other from leaving.

If there are three female friends each will be assigned one of following roles:

Sweet/ditzy one

Smart one

Skank lol..it's true. Look at Charlie's Angels.

Oh don't y'all just love it when a singer decides to go into acting and their first role is either playing a character similar to him/her or hell, they just play themselves. Like 8 Mile, Crossroads, Get Rich or Die Tryin' etc.

Hugh Grant, I'm probably one of the few women not charmed by him but lord, he is a one dimensional actor. Did he just give up and tell his agent to sign him up for any romantic comedy that comes his way and that he has to fumble his words in it?? If Sandra Bullock can make the jump from romantic comedies to drama so can he.

In horror movies the group of friends always decide to separate so they can "cover more ground" this is just them asking to be picked off.

And when someones says "I'll be right back" and leaves...he or she is as good as dead.

I hate how in a crime/thriller movies where the cops are trying to trace the call and they tell the person to keep the criminal on the line for a minute when in reality it only takes a couple of seconds to trace a call! what>:^( The cops are always upset when the criminal hangs up before the minute ends.

Another one is when the bad guy asks for like millions of dollars in ransom money in small unmarked bills. Then, we see the cops bringing the money in either two or four suitcases...come on! lol Since its millions of dollars in "small bills" there would at least be a dozen suitcases if not more.

Oh and how about "hot" actresses playing rocket scientist or other genius roles. Of course, there's always a scene where she is wearing glasses, a white lab coat and her hair is tied up in a bun.
sq_alonedark_al_liongt.jpg

Tara Reid, you ain't foolin' no one lol

And in horror movies, why does one of the female actresses feel the need to shower when she's home alone knowing that a psycho killer is out on the loose? And chances are..they're big breasted. Call me crazy but I never feel the need to strip and shower when a killer is offing people in my town. Although that's just me.

Or when someone hears a noise in the dark and he or she asks, "Hello? Is anyone there?" Yes, because a killer will always reply to that question.

In practically every horror movie :

someone gets their finger cut off
the killer wears mechanics overalls
the killer listens to classical music
the killer has some unusual connection to their mother
victims act stupid - "Oh lets go out into the big scary wood, we'll be safe their"
They alway look back *fools*

And also whats with teen movies having a really pretty girl and then throwing glasses on her and having everyone think she's ugly? :blink:

And also whats with teen movies having a really pretty girl and then throwing glasses on her and having everyone think she's ugly? :blink:
That's because there has to be an over the top shot of her glasses being removed and her hair (which is eitehr tied back in a bun or ponytail) is always "let down" in slow motion. :lol:

romantic comedies:

They hate each other so much that they end up falling in love with each other! :lol: 10 Things I Hate About You (funny movie,btw) is a perfect example of that.

In horror movies when people suddenly have this urge to go look in a dark room withouth a flashflight or any type of light when there's a killer on the loose or in their house. It's even worse when they go "Is anyone there?". I'm just like "Kill em' now. They dont deserve to live" :D

Back