The Movie Forum Critics' Corner!

"Farenheit 9/11" is just incredible. It doesn't have the grassroots feel of "Roger & Me," and it isn't as freewheeling as "Bowling for Columbine;" but it is a polished, fierce, imaginative, and deeply felt polemic about Bush and the war in Iraq. The crowd in theater where I saw it was so large one would have thought it was the latest summer blockbuster rather than a $6 million documentary. People laughed, gasped, applauded, and otherwise reacted very strongly. If this film gets people to really think about the direction this country is going today, whether they end up agreeing with Michael Moore or not after seeing it, then he has done his country a unique service.

Funny . . . Michael Moore didn't start out to become a gadfly documentary filmmaker. But back in the early '80's GM began to close plants in his hometown of Flint, MI, triggering a long economic implosion in the area. He put some money together to make a film about it and the result was "Roger & Me." He had planned to just show it in union halls and places like that, but Warner Bros. heard about it somehow and picked it up for distribution. The rest, as they say, is history. Funny how things happen sometimes, isn't it? ;)

It's been a while, and I saw many movies this summer, I'll try to review them later.

The movies I saw this week :

The Bourne Supremacy
8/10
I saw it last wednesday (the day it came out in france), and I have to say it was realy cool !! :D
I can't wait for the 3rd one.

Laws of Attraction
6/10
A nice movie, we really don't expect Julianne Moore, nor Pierce Brosnan in this kind of movies :harhar: But they're good actors. Not surprising of course, but it's a good chick flick. :smiley:

The Terminal
7/10
Cool, a bit funny, a Spielberg, I love Catherine Zeta-Jones' hair in this movie :lol:
Negative point : How does Viktor learn english so fast ? :o_O:

Mystic River: 10
Se7en: 10
Memento: 10
Finding Nemo: 10

Donnie Darko: 9.5
Pearl Harbour: 9.5

LOTR: 9.0
Thirteen: 9.0

Matchstick Men: 8.5
Minority Report: 8.5

They were all really good these were my fav movies lol

-The Grudge-
7.5-8

A true scary horror film. The storyline was good but the ending was already known throughout the movie so it never really had the jolting twist. It is much more scary then our regular American horror films where everyone has sex because they are all going to die :lol: ;)

The Grudge: 3.5/10 stars

Okay..I saw the Grudge on Saturday...Very bad movie. It is the poor man's Ring. Instead of watching a videotape and dying, in the Grudge it's step a foot in this house and die. Even the main villian is Ring like... down to the Long hair covering the entire face. I love scary movies and this....just wasn't scary. If you absoutly have to go and see go to a early show where the prices are cheaper. Or better yet...wait till it's on video that way you only lose 3 bucks!

Finding Neverland
6/10
If you're going to go, go with/ be someone who can snarl sarcastic comments, because it is a mine of opportunity. It wasn't too bad, but I felt insulted at some points, as the characters were talking about how all you need is imagination, and then they would cut to showing us exactly what we were meant to imagine. It also had it's fair share of predictible lines, including a shameful 'So did I', which I was able to mouth along to. I wouldn't see it again, but there were some funny parts that meant it wasn't a totally wasted 2 hours.

Jai

Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind
9/10
It was great !!! I felt great just after I saw it. But I have the feeling if I see it a second time, I'm gonna feel like I felt for Vanilla Sky when I saw that movie a second time. Explanation : I didn't really like Vanilla Sky the 2nd time, I was bored.

Arsène Lupin
6/10
Nice movie, good actors, and cute actor :blush: The story was also interesting, but it wasn't great !

Un long dimanche de fiancailles
7.5/10
It so looks like a Jean-Pierre Jeunet movie, and it's a Jean-Pierre Jeunet movie :lol: which is good. The story is cute, and the actors are good. But I was a bit disappointet at the end.

Shark Tale
6.5/10
It was fun ! :D

Bridget Jones 2
6.5/10
It was also fun, and nice. But as much as I remember the 1st movie, I prefered the 1st movie. Though we see Colin Firth more (which is a plus) (y)

The Indesctructibles
9/10
It was sooooo funny. I loved that movie !!!! :D I love the lady who creates their outfit. (y)

A Very Long Engagement/Un long dimanche de fiancailles
8.5/10
I thought this movie was fantastic, especially in its portrayal of WWI. Don’t expect to see another Amelie though, this movie, while containing some of the magic and humor of Amelie is much more serious. The ending was a bit disappointing, but other than that it was great.

Hotel Rwanda
9.9/10
Everyone should see this movie. EVERYONE. It absolutely blew my mind. I have never cried so much at a movie in my life (nor, for that matter, been so ashamed of my country and the west in general). Don’t see this if you just want a light bit of entertainment, but for a fantastically good, emotionally stunning movie, I recommend it highly.

Sophie said:
The Terminal
7/10
Cool, a bit funny, a Spielberg, I love Catherine Zeta-Jones' hair in this movie :lol:

while i was watching this movie i actually said to my dad "i wonder what kind of shampoo she uses?" because it's just so SHINY and SMOOTH. :blink:

last movie i saw...

In Good Company

7/10

it was okay. i was really expecting a lot from this one since i'd heard so many good things about it. topher and scarlett were cute, and i love dennis quaid, but it was kindof slow.

Closer
I kinda liked it, but I didn't dislike it. It is a little bit strange, and sometimes it's slow. Some people can like it, like some people can't. It really depends. My best friend disliked it.
5/10

The Grudge
It was definitely scary, but like a good scary movie (the ones you don't have nightmares after, and the ones you don't jump after hearing the sound :P )
I'm glad SMG had a good role. This movie doesn't seem to be for her, but she is just right in it.
7/10

Le plus beau jour de ma vie
Well it was a bit funny, but not really entertaining. Some people were too clichés.
4/10

Le chute
Telling Hitler's last days isn't an easy thing. I've seen it several weeks ago, and I still don't know what to think about it/what to tell about it. I think it's a good movie, though I can't really say I liked it. The subject is well treated, but I can't like a subject/movie which relates this kinda of story.
It is still a good movie, and it's worth to see what kind of man he was but it's not fun, and awful, and terrible, etc.
I can't rate it.

Garden State
8.5/10

It was good just as I'd thought it would be. But it got a little slow in some spots and a bit wierd. While people said this was supposed to be Natalie Portman's "adult film role" she was childish at times. All in all she did a great job at acting and so did Zach Bratt :D

Moulin Rouge
9.5/10

This movie was extremly wierd but that didnt make it bad. It made it GOOD. A modern musical for the modern soul. I didn't know Nicole Kidman could sing though. I was like "Huh??". Very entertaining, even made me cry. :( (y)

Elektra
6/10

This movie was OK. And if Jennifer Garner wasn't in it I'd probably be giving it a lower rating ;o. It was slow at the begining and got somewhat better towards the middle and end. But it just wasn't what I was expecting.

The Island (2005)

OK I finally saw it. This is so weird up until last week, I had seen 2 movies in the last 3 months. In the last 3 days, I've seen 2 movies LOL

OK wow. Ok, my review. Some spoilers sprinkled throughout, for those who haven't seen it.....

OK first off, HOW THE HELL did this get a PG-13? I mean the Matrix movies aren't this intense! I mean the pods that grow people? Cutting ambilical(sp?) cords? Drowning people, when they killed that woman after she had her baby, killing people WHO ARE CURRENTLY GROWING, having little bugs being inserted in someone's eye, Using a bone saw to open someone's chest and then using guns that have, what, like needles that shot into people's legs? How about every time something crashed, it wasn't just an "action" crash. It was like a BANGING METAL crash. The language, sex was all PG-13, but seriously. WOW.

OK aside of that, I can honestly saw this was the most intense, horrifying, and disturbing movie I have ever seen. After the first hour, I just felt sick to my stomach. Not because it was TOO gross, but just because I couldn't believe how risky it was. That may have taken away from the experience, but none the less.....

This may be the first Michael Bay movie that I didn't appreciate his approach to the action sequences. Basically it was a loud and clangy movie. After the first sequence, I was sick of the LOUD HELICOPTERS that did nothing. There were some incredibly well done chase sequences, the falling "R", the Wasps, car chase, and one of the on foot chases were all very exciting. But a lot of the action was just LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD. At one point, I just put my hands up to my eyes. It wasn't worth it. Like the ending with the fans exploading. I was just like "OH COME ON! Could they THINK of more ways to make really loud sounds? Because it's getting annoying.

The acting was servicable, and I think that the best aspect of the movie was watching Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johannson playing these characters that didn't know anything. "He's taking a dump in a can?!" "Sex?!" "Why haven't we done this before?" "That tongue thing is amazing!" "I don't know....but I want one!" All of those scenes were incredibly entertaining.

The whole premise of the movie was really interesting and I loved each "discovery" that was revealed. There were a couple parts when I was taken aback by the sheer volume of the project.

I absolutely loved the ending. Seriously, like a REALLY AWESOME ending. I loved the music and the way that it was shot.

I was also surprised on how many jumpy moments were in the movie. The beginning on the boat, the "Vaughn" moment with the cars, just a lot of moments where they tried to thrill.

And I counted. There wee FOUR people in that movie who have been on ALIAS before. If you want to know, I can tell you who they are............

And Scarlet Johannson is absolutely GORGEOUS.

Overall: I felt that maybe if Michael Bay hadn't done this movie, it would have turned out much better. He blew too many things up, there was too much action, it was too "big". It still was a very entertaining movie, but for me, I kept thinking "Wow, this movie could have been a lot better"

Final Rating: 3.5 / 5

The Siege - 8/10

Seen it a few times, really enjoyed it. The similaritys to what it is like in the movie and what is actually happening in the world now is very much alike. Overall a fantastic movie, also, it has Bruce Willis, which makes it 10x better. 👅

Body of Lies (Blu-Ray) - 9/10

My second time watching this movie, and i must say i enjoyed it a whole lot more this time around. Acting, scenes, script, is all fantastic, and i must say, this movie looks fantastic in Blu-Ray. I recommend you check this out if you haven't already.

Gremlins - 8/10

First time watching this one, really enjoyed it, found Gizmo really cute 👅 . Overall a great movie, will probably check out the second one soon.

Back