The Mystery Of The Martian Blood

Martian

Scout
Something about the 1953 movie, "The War Of The Worlds" has bothered me for a long time. Hopefully one of you can clear up the mystery of the Martian blood for me.

No, I am not referring to the anemic qualities of their blood but, in my mind, a far greater mystery.

How in the world did the Martian's blood get on the handkercheif in the abandoned farm house?

We saw Dr. Forrester chop off the remote camera "eye" from the Martian War Machine while they were in the abandoned farm house. As he and Sylvia begin to dig out, an actual Martian makes contact with Sylvia's shoulder. Dr. Forrester immediately chucks an axe at the disgusting creature and naturally it runs off screaming. Our two heroes grab up the severed electronic eye and escape to the attack where they discover that the handkercheif has a spot of blood on it from the wounded Martian.

How in the world did the blood get there?! Seriously!! Watch the scene again and someone PLEASE explain to me how the Martian's blood gets on that cloth.

This mystery has been driving my crackers for ages.

Thanks in advance fellow sci fi lovers.

~Martian

I have GOT to know. It is well worth watching if you have never seen it before.
Oh, I've seen the movie likely several dozen times by now, I just don't recall why the blood on the handkerchief would seem out of place.

Years ago, I may have read that the Martian blood came directly from the electronic eye.. but I'm sorry, I find that hard to believe. The scarf WAS on the eye as he carried it up the stairs but the blood MUST have come from the wounded Martian somehow.

Years ago, I may have read that the Martian blood came directly from the electronic eye.. but I'm sorry, I find that hard to believe. The scarf WAS on the eye as he carried it up the stairs but the blood MUST have come from the wounded Martian somehow.
Ah, I see now. I think the inference is that the remote eye probe was actually a bio-mechanical hybrid and not just a piece of hardware.

If you watched the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica it would be the same as the insides of the Cylon Raiders; from the outside they appeared to be piloted fighters but really on the inside it was a bio-mechanical hybrid. The fighter was the pilot.

I have been watching this scene over and over.... There is a continuity error here that is not mentioned and maybe has something to do with my confusion. Perhaps a scene was removed where Dr. Forrester is wiping blood onto the scarf from the axe... The reason I think this is as follows:

A mere seconds before Sylvia is touched by the Martian, we see her scarf hanging off the right side of her waist (presumably blood-free).

The Martian touches her, and Gene Barry nails it with an axe and the monster shreiks and takes off.

Suddenly, we see the electronic "eye" partially covered with the scarf that WAS hanging off Sylvia's waist. Up in the attic, they discover blood on the scarf...

What gives?! Where DOES that blood come from exactly?!!!!

Back