the new "Carly Corinthos" on GH ...

Alias_Gay

Ensign
Starting April 18th, General Hospital will introduce its new Carly Corinthos ...

GH Casts Bransford as Its New Carly

The audition process is over and General Hospital has found its new Carly Corinthos. Less than one week after Tamara Braun exits the role, actress Jennifer Bransford will step into Carly's shoes.

As previously announced by Soap Opera Central, Tamara Braun has opted not to renew her contract with General Hospital. The news came as a surprise to some fans and devastated others. Braun expressed a desire to take on new roles rather than playing the same character for years on end.

Bransford, meanwhile, joins the General Hospital cast as a veteran of ABC's daytime lineup. From 1997 to 1998, Bransford appeared as Georgie Phillips on One Life to Live. The actress also has feature film experience, with roles in the horror flick series "Witchcraft," "Love Thy Neighbor" and in the romantic comedy "Love Bites."

General Hospital executive producer Jill Farren Phelps admits that following Braun will be a difficult task. However, Phelps insists that the show will go on.

The audience, says Phelps, "will eventually accept a new Carly, especially if Maurice [Benard] is determined to make it work."

Phelps points out that many questioned if Braun could win over fans after she assumed the role for Emmy winner Sarah Brown in 2001. Oddly, all three actresses to play the role will now have had last names start with B-R.

In landing the role of Carly, Bransford is rumored to have beaten out Jamie Lunar and soap vet Sarah Buxton.

Braun will last air on April 15th. Bransford makes her first on-screen appearance just three days later, on April 18th.

We have had:

Sarah Brown ...
sarahbrown.jpg

Daytime Emmys Winner, Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama Series (1999)
Daytime Emmys Winner, Outstanding Younger Actress in a Daytime Drama Series (1997, 1998)
Soap Opera Digest Award Outstanding Younger Actress (1998)

Tamara Braun ...
Tams20.jpg

Daytime Emmys Nomination, Outstanding Lead Actress (2004)

and now Jennifer Bransford ...
0328-bransford_braun.jpg

She used to play Georgie Phillips on One Life to Live ...

Welcome aboard Jennifer ... hopefully this character will make you happy and you will make us fans happy with your portrayal ...

I loved Sarah ... when she left, I never thought no one could replace her ... then came Tamara Braun ... and she blew us away with her performance ... now, she leaves and Jennifer comes in ... lets see how she works out ... ;)

Alright... I'm not a GH person GoGo... but I read somewhere (i think soap opera digest) that Kristen Storms (old Belle from Days) is coming back to daytime and is going to GH.... what's the scoop?

Yep, its true ... she has been cast as the new Maxie ... which is great, since they are developing the character ... and you know, its good to see her do something else ... maybe for the better (y) (y)

All I have to say is good luck to Tamara Braun. I liked her as Carly...she had this thing about her. She was good with Mike and Morgan. Sarah Brown didn't really have that connection with children at least i don't think she did. The new one hasn't been around Morgan enough for me to judge her yet...but i don't think she will do good. Maybe Maybe not! :blush:

Mel :redhair:

I loved Sarah, and I was one who said that Tamara couldn't do as good as Sarah ... and believe me ... she was phenomenally great as Carly ... I could'n believe she opted not to re-new her contract ... because Carly seems to me to be a character of a life-time ... and now with Miss Branson ... haven't seen her enough to judge her ... but she is a great actress ... loved her OLTL as Georgie ... so, time will tell if she is really prepared for this great character ... ;)

I have to say I REALLY liked Tamara as Carly... I didn't watch it when Sarah Brown was on... but I think Tamara fit the name 'Carly' best... -_- I'm not really liking the new Jennifer girl, as now, if Sonny and Carly get back together... I won't be as excited... though I only watched GH today on chance... I get the feeling that Carly and Sonny won't be back together... or Journey... :( I hate what GH is doing to it's show in general... and maybe that's why Tamara left... she was disgusted with it... I know my friend and I are... -_-

:naughty: & :eyebrow:

Yeah, Tamara was the perfect one as Carly, but Jennifer surprised me today as Carly ... what a girl ... she has been given a great character and she is proving herself right (y) (y)

she is getting better i guess i'm liking her. My mom did say it does take a while just to get use to someone. She reminds me of a lady on Comedy Central the other night!

Mel

Well, I didn't really like Tamara when she first took over the role of Carly, so I am trying to give Jennifer time. I LOVED Tamara in the role once she made it her own. I am having difficulty with Jennifer in the role, but hopefully it will become more natural and I will enjoy Carly once more. Right now the character (don't know if it is b/c Jennifer is playing it) is just annoying me. I want more spunk and grit. Time will tell.

Laura Wright Cast as GH's New Carly

Though an official announcement from ABC is still pending, soapcentral.com has learned that Laura Wright (Cassie Winslow, Guiding Light) will join the cast of General Hospital later this year in the role of Carly Corinthos.

As first reported by soapcentral.com last week, Wright's name had been bandied about as a possible replacement for the outgoing Jennifer Bransford for several days. Speculation really heated up when Wright announced that she would be exiting Guiding Light after seven years. Bransford was let go last week after five months with General Hospital.

In a statement on her official web site, Wright admitted to exuberantly accepting ABC's offer to take over the role of Carly. However, the actress admits that in order to move on, it meant having to make the difficult decision to leave behind a Guiding Light character that she had played for the better part of a decade.

"As sad as I am to leave a wonderful place that I called home for a long time, it is time for me to go," Wright said. "This was not an easy decision. But my husband and I talked about it and we said, 'What the Hell! Let's live on the West Coast for a few years!'"

Wright will become the fourth actress to tackle the role of Carly. Sarah Brown originated the role in April 1996 and remained with the show April 2001. Upon Brown's decision to pursue other opportunities, Tamara Braun joined the cast. Braun's run as Carly lasted from May 2001 through April of this year. Like Brown, Braun wanted to seek out opportunities outside of daytime television. After what was said to be an "exhaustive" search for a successor, Bransford joined the cast on April 18th, 2005. Her last day with the show was September 9th and her final airdate is still pending.

"I'm also so excited to play this character," Wright beamed. "Wow! What a challenge."

The challenge Wright speaks of presented itself to Bransford - and may have been impossible for her to overcome. There is a large group of fans loyal to actress Tamara Braun who are admittedly still upset that the actress left the show. Upon making the announcement that Bransford had been let go by General Hospital, soapcentral.com was flooded with email encouraging us to consider rehiring Braun. Soapcentral.com, of course, has no influence in casting matters at ABC or any other network. Bransford's work and physical appearance were viciously picked apart by some GH fans. While Braun had some difficulty in assuming the role of Carly from multiple Emmy winner Brown, the resistance facing Braun was far less intense.

"I know so many of the GH fans loved the past actresses who played this part. I know I have big shoes to fill," Wright said in extending an olive branch to fans. "I hope I make you proud."

This will be a return to ABC for Wright. The actress played the role of Ally Prescott on the network's Loving and later on The City from 1991 to 1997.

Wright will begin taping her General Hospital scenes in October upon the expiration of her Guiding Light contract. According to setside sources, the character of Carly will see some off-screen time in order to accommodate Bransford's exit as nearly a month will pass between Bransford's final taping and Wright's first tape date. A first airdate for Wright has not yet been announced, but it is expected to come sometime during the November Sweeps period.

We have a new Carly ... coming in soon ... I cant believe Jennifer didnt make it ... but Laura has been a favorite of mine since "Loving" and then on "Guiding Light" she has been fantastic ... and now thats she is coming to General Hospital ... I cant wait ... to see her ... :woot:

I know this is an old thread but I just have to express my anger at GH for not giving Jennifer Bransford a chance. She was FLAWLESS in the role of Carly. The other three actress' were all good, but Jennifer brought so much vulnerability to the role and made it believable.

I know this is an old thread but I just have to express my anger at GH for not giving Jennifer Bransford a chance. She was FLAWLESS in the role of Carly. The other three actress' were all good, but Jennifer brought so much vulnerability to the role and made it believable.
I know, she deserved a chance for sure ... ;)

Laura Wright is on as Carly still and she has been doing a great job!

But Sarah Brown has returned to GH too, in a new character, as Claudia ... and there are rumors that Tamara Braun might return to GH too ... making it, she will be the 3rd actress to play Carly, to be on the show at the same time ... can you imagine??? crazy :blink:

I tolerated Tamera Braun as Carly. I cannot stand Laura. She has two acting modes: whispering and YELLING. The character of Carly has destroyed my beloved Jasper Jacks. :(

Back