Politics The New Democratic Party

if the Democrats move further left, they might actually be "liberal".

You have a strange definition of liberal because I would say a liberal was like Gladstonian, like three purposes of the state, protect foreign interests, run the state apparatus and regulate contracts not something I'd associate with the democratic party.

If we're serious about winning in 08' we need to look at two candidates in my opinion. Marc Warner and John Edwards should get our backing. Warner is a successful democratic governor of Virgina. Virgina, the state that hasnt voted Blue since LBJ. Warner is young and makes a great candidate in comparison to anyone th GOP can throw at us.

John Edwards just exudes charm and likeability. I'd back him with more enthusiasm than I did with Kerry.

Ok so I see where your coming from about core vote but by being so vocifourous on this issues you maintain your core vote but alianate a large section of society thus you end up polarised and that isn't a good thing in the long run.

And your core vote knew the "threat" from Bush what will make them come out if not that?

noggi16 said:
You have a strange definition of liberal because I would say a liberal was like Gladstonian, like three purposes of the state, protect foreign interests, run the state apparatus and regulate contracts not something I'd associate with the democratic party.
[post="1304026"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
usually when i say liberal, i mean socially progressive, and i think often the democratic party backs down on those issues.

Spike said:
If we're serious about winning in 08' we need to look at two candidates in my opinion. Marc Warner and John Edwards should get our backing. Warner is a successful democratic governor of Virgina. Virgina, the state that hasnt voted Blue since LBJ. Warner is young and makes a great candidate in comparison to anyone th GOP can throw at us.

John Edwards just exudes charm and likeability. I'd back him with more enthusiasm than I did with Kerry.
[post="1304134"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
i don't know about edwards. one, his wife is sick. two, he's not doing anything political right now, and he only had one term as senator. he's inexperienced.

what about hilary in 08? she claims she's not going to run, but let's face it, the only reason why she didnt leave bill during the scandal was cuz she wanted to be back in the oval office. i think it'd be funny to see her run against ah-nold (if they amend the constitution).

I'd be for Hilary in 2008...people can say what they want about her, but I like her...and she has a strong following.

I definitely don't see Edwards running. He seems quite happy being able to be a family man and take care of his wife. Plus he just got a teaching positiong at UNC.

I'm excited about Obama though...he just got me so energized at the DNC. I'd love to see him run...if not in 2008, then 2012.

Spike said:

[post="1304134"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
BE careful about edwards if he makes a run at the nomination. A lot of stuff will come out about what he does in trial, like channeling the dead. Also, he did get his tail whipped in the V.P. debate.

AliasHombre said:
BE careful about edwards if he makes a run at the nomination.  A lot of stuff will come out about what he does in trial, like channeling the dead.  Also, he did get his tail whipped in the V.P. debate.
[post="1304868"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Ha. It's funny how people can watch the same debate and get a completely different take on it. I don't think he got 'whipped'. He did a good job, and most experts said that it was about even.

And we already know he's a trial lawyer...let's give it a break.

But, he's not going to run in 2008, if he did I'd be very surprised. He has a lot on his mind, with his wife being sick and with getting a teaching position at UNC.

Edwards would have more political experience than Bush had entering The White House. He's definitely staying in the limelight and of course his decision hinges on whether Elizabeth Edwards can recover fully from her breast cancer. She's responding incredibly well according to her doctors so that's good. But Edwards has been championing the Poor after the election. At UNC he's taken up a position as the head of the University's Department of Poverty Aid or something another. It wasn't a teaching position but some sort of widespread effort to relieve the growing poverty rates in rural America.

I adore Hillary. She's one of the most brilliant Senators we have and we should all be proud of her. But she can't win a national election. Bill can't save her even though his approval ratings are still in the 60s. It's all about electibility and a female senator from a prominent northeastern Blue State, no matter how intelligent and talented, does not have a chance of garnering Red State votes. If it comes to the point where she does become our candidate of course I'll support her, but I really think Marc Warner and John Edwards should be the candidates we look at moreso than Hillary.

I keep waiting for Hilary to do something on her own.

A one term senator, Edwards, would not have more political experience than a one time governer of a huge state.

AliasHombre said:
I keep waiting for Hilary to do something on her own.

A one term senator, Edwards, would not have more political experience than a one time governer of a huge state.
[post="1306184"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Do something on her own?

Jamison said:
Do something on her own?
[post="1306218"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Where would she be w/o Willy?

Yeah yeah i know you can say the same thing about Bush BUT bush didn't ride someones coattails into power like Hilary.

Um I think that's exactly what Bush did. Use Daddy's influence to coast through his entire life in an alcoholic haze until he reached his 40s and decided to run for governor. With no political experience his main asset was his father's money and his last name.

Same thing for Hillary. When your the wife of a highly popular ex-president it's hard to get into the limelight all by yourself.

AliasHombre said:

Yeah yeah i know you can say the same thing about Bush BUT bush didn't ride someones coattails into power like Hilary.
[post="1306403"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

uh, yea he did: his daddy

Spike said:
Um I think that's exactly what Bush did. Use Daddy's influence to coast through his entire life in an alcoholic haze until he reached his 40s and decided to run for governor. With no political experience his main asset was his father's money and his last name.

Same thing for Hillary. When your the wife of a highly popular ex-president it's hard to get into the limelight all by yourself.
[post="1306406"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

well the one problem with Hillary is that soo many people hate her . . I'm worried she wouldn't pull it off--but it depends on how the party handles the issues, the debates--which is why this topic was opened

otherwise, completly agree, but you have to label it as a "stoned and drunken haze'" haha

Unimportant rant: oh, and don't forget bush jr's C's in college-- I know the public usually want someone "average" to be thier president, and I know C IS average, but come on! it's like admitting it outloud!

AliasHombre said:

[post="1306403"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Ummm, yeah you can definitely say the same thing about Bush. If it wasn't for Daddy's Presidency or money, do you honestly think Bush Jr. would be president right now?

And can you really fault Hilary for using her husband's political success to help her political career?

Of course not...just like you can't fault Bush for using his dad's influence to help him.

It's almost the same thing when someone gets support from a powerful political figure to better their own career.

Politics, sadly, isn't really about what you know, it's about who you know.

Back