Horror The New Mutants (2020)

Tom

An Old Friend
Title: The New Mutants

Tagline: It's time to face your demons.

Genre: Horror, Science Fiction

Director: Josh Boone

Cast: Maisie Williams, Anya Taylor-Joy, Charlie Heaton, Alice Braga, Blu Hunt, Henry Zaga, Adam Beach, Thomas Kee, Colbi Gannett, Happy Anderson, Dustin Ceithamer, Mickey Gilmore, Jeffrey Corazzini, Jacinto Vega SpiritWolf, Chuck, Marilyn Manson

Release: 2020-08-26

Runtime: 94

Plot: Five young mutants, just discovering their abilities while held in a secret facility against their will, fight to escape their past sins and save themselves.
The New Mutants (2020)

The New Mutants (2020)​

PG-13 | 1h 34min | Action, Horror, Sci-Fi | 28 August 2020 (USA)

After a near-death experience during a strange tornado, Danielle Moonstar awakens in an abandoned research facility run by the mysterious Dr Cecilia Reyes. There, Dr Reyes introduces Dani to four other equally uncommon teenagers: Illyana Rasputin, Rahne Sinclair, Sam Guthrie, and Roberto da Costa, who wants to keep them safe and sound until they learn how to be in full control of their extraordinary abilities. However, even though the exceptional team of traumatised inmates believes that they're being treated and cared for, before long, they all start to experience horrifying hallucinations. But, this institution was supposed to be a safe place. Are they patients or prisoners?

I went into this movie thinking it was a continuation of the X-Men story. While they did refer to the X-Men it wasn't a movie about the X-Men, the reference was in idle chat.
At first, I was kinda let down because there wasn't much going on except establishing the story environment but the longer I watched the better it got. I give it a strong 6.5 out of 10 stars.

Gotta warn ya tho. Its not yer average X-Men mutant story. Its dark with horror elements. People die and some of the scenes can be scary for those who are not numb to horror like me. One nightmarish creature is all mouth and creepy as all get out. The big finish monster is cool looking (I want one).

If you like X-Men this is not one for you but if you like mutants it would be a great addition to your collection. Its worth renting but I'd be careful about buying it blind. My advice, rent it, watch it and if you like it buy it.

As a horror fan thought this one was poorly written and had been done numerous times before, probably made for SuperHero fans however so not the target audience. Wouldn't recommend The New Mutants to anyone to be honest. Trite comes to mind.

Kinda hard, ya think?
I figure ya gotta think of it on a different level than an x-men movie, that can be tough.
Yeah, its a comic book movie so not really expected to be a cinematic masterpiece.

Still, I think its all in how you go into it that matters. Kinda like WW1984. I've read many bad reviews because they were expecting a story similar to the original WW but its a freakin comic book movie! Just look at the MCU.

Still, yer right, it has been done before and much better but its well acted with decent cinematography. You should see some of the films I watch lately. Sheesh!

It's watchable and if you don't go into it with preconceptions, it has some good stuff. Like any movie now, its all been done before, probably better but ya take what you can get in these strange pandemic influenced days. Lighten up.

There's so many, so...many...bad movies being released lately, if ya get one with decent cinematography and decent acting it is a plus.
I watch too many movies. TV Shows are just as bad. What do you expect from an industry which prizes $ over art?

This is certainly not what anyone could consider a 'good' movie but it is watchable and does have its redeeming qualities/moments. Yer not completely wasting yer money on it.