Feedback The New Style...

Just personal opinion here...

Of course the style under the old forum software was honestly the best/most unique style I ever saw for VB3... And the new site seems extremely fast but... On my monitor at least there is an awful lot of "pink." The Navbar, selected tabs, everything else that might have been OK as red is baby-girl-pink. Combined with the blue pastels I get the immediate feeling of how one might decorate a baby's bedroom. The logo rocket is a nice deep red looking like a toy also adds to the child's room feeling- maybe that is exactly what you were going for?

Anyway- good luck with the site- again it is extremely responsive- just a lot of pink for my tastes.

Just personal opinion here...
Which are welcomed! :smiley:

Of course the style under the old forum software was honestly the best/most unique style I ever saw for VB3... And the new site seems extremely fast but... On my monitor at least there is an awful lot of "pink."
I admit, our vB3 design is something I loved and was the result of years of looking at it & adjusting a pixel there, a pixel here, a slight color change there, and so on. Nicolas from ForumSkin.com did an amazing job on it but at the same time it was part of what was forcing us to stay with vB3 for so long. With the latest version of vB4 being semi-stable it was tempting to think about converting to it but the vB3 design still would not have been able to be ported to vB4 without losing some of the styling elements. Plus, for reasons that have already been debated to death over the years, I personally feel that converting to vB4 would have presented its own challenges as it too aged. Alternatives like IPB did not appeal to me so XF it was. If only vB3 was updated to support newer versions of PHP & other non-feature fixes. :whistle: As we go forward we may revisit working on offering another design with elements from the old vB3 site but it could never be the same look & feel.

The Navbar, selected tabs, everything else that might have been OK as red is baby-girl-pink. Combined with the blue pastels I get the immediate feeling of how one might decorate a baby's bedroom. The logo rocket is a nice deep red looking like a toy also adds to the child's room feeling- maybe that is exactly what you were going for?
The intended goal was a retro feel of a 1950's era diner. The feedback, to be honest, has been mixed. Some people absolutely love the design and instantly think back to that era, hence the "Doo-Wop" name we've given it, some think 'red, white, & black checker-board' would have been better for a 50's diners, while others range from a 'girls fashion design site' to toys like you've mentioned and beyond.

It's really been interesting to see & hear the different reactions so far.

Anyway- good luck with the site- again it is extremely responsive- just a lot of pink for my tastes.
Don't worry, there is an alternative! Scroll down to the very bottom of the page and in the lower left corner click on the "Doo-Wop" link and you will get a pop-up box with a list of different styles. Right now the pastel design is the default and "Clean Cut" is a more traditional color scheme that some may prefer to use. You can also find the option in the User CP by hovering over your name in the top menu and then choosing the "Preferences" link. :smiley:

Frankly I'm in a few other forums that use the old look and feel (vb3 you seem to be calling it) and I never liked it. Always seemed pretty clunky to me. That's why I was so pleased the design here changed. I think it's great. Ya the rocket ship logo's a little kiddie, but no biggie IMO.

Good job!

Ken, thanks for the feedback! The new design and rocket logo were both done by @Kim and we think they came out great. I'm actually happy to see you describe the old software & design as 'clunky' because I felt the same way; with the migration one of the goals was a return to a quick & light platform with little overhead.

In response to the feedback about the blue & pink magenta color scheme she is working on an alternate color using a more subdued combination of red & grey (the same red as the rocket logo). The look & feel of it will be identical but just in a different color combination so that our community members can choose the one they prefer.

Thanks Kevin :smiley:

The Blue and Magenta theme is meant to be a 50's style Back to the Future type look and feel, a bit of fun :smiley: The Rocket logo is part of that, and we hoped had a fun Retro feel.

I know that pink is not everyone's cup of tea, so the new one which will be done very soon will hopefully fill the gap for those who don't care for it.

:smiley:

Kim

Back