Romance The Notebook (2004)

Title: The Notebook

Tagline: Behind every great love is a great story.

Genre: Romance, Drama

Director: Nick Cassavetes

Cast: Rachel McAdams, Ryan Gosling, Gena Rowlands, James Garner, Sam Shepard, Joan Allen, James Marsden, David Thornton, Kevin Connolly, Starletta DuPois, Ed Grady, Jennifer Echols, Heather Wahlquist, Jonathan Parks Jordan, Cullen Moss, Traci Dinwiddie, James Middleton, Peter Rosenfeld, Obba Babatundé, Chuck Pacheco, Todd Lewis, Mark Johnson, Robert Fraisse, Barbara Weetman, Jamie Anne Allman, Rebecca Koon, Deborah Hobart, Sylvia Jefferies, Mark Garner, Scott Ritenour, Milton Buras, Elizabeth Bond, Matthew Barry, Nancy De Mayo, David Abrams, Taylor Engel, Bob Forrest, Paul Johansson, Bruce Williamson, Renée Amber, Meredith O'Brien

Release: 2004-06-25

Runtime: 123

Plot: An epic love story centered around an older man who reads aloud to a woman with Alzheimer's. From a faded notebook, the old man's words bring to life the story about a couple who is separated by World War II, and is then passionately reunited, seven years later, after they have taken different paths.
The Notebook (2004)

I had already lost all hope of this movie ever being made. When I purchased the book... many years ago it said that the rights for the movie had been sold, and then the same happened with Message in a Bottle and A Walk to Remember, but both came out, yet this one never did.
I'm not quite sure I'm happy about it, specially not after what the previous two turned out to be. I didn't completely like Message in a Bottle and I deeply desliked A Walk to Remember. But I have a feeling about this one. I know... I'm a helpless romantic, but the soundtrack music alone gives me goosebumps. So maybe not all is lost, maybe there finally will be a movie that makes justice to Nicholas Sparks writting style. I just hope I'm not wrong.
So... someone else's looking forward for this one???

I'm like kaiserin - I really didn't like a walk to remember, although I am looking forward to the notebook. I think in AWTR, the screenwriters changed too much of the plot in order to make it a better movie, which it didn't. It lost the innocence of first love that made that particular book great. From the previews though, it looks as if the plot is pretty much the same, with the exception of focusing on the characters as teens. I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie, hopefully it will be a good companion to the book.

txwesgal said:
I think in AWTR, the screenwriters changed too much of the plot in order to make it a better movie, which it didn't. It lost the innocence of first love that made that particular book great.
That's precisely what I first hated about AWTR. The screenwriters changed almost the entire book in order to make it more likable for the teenage audience. And to stage the stories in the early 90's made it worst because some of the characters just didn't fit, specially Jaimie.

From the previews though, it looks as if the plot is pretty much the same, with the exception of focusing on the characters as teens. I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie, hopefully it will be a good companion to the book.

Actually although they focus a little bit more on their teeage years than NS does in the book, they also fastforward seven years into the future to continue the storie. I don't remember very well, but I think that in the book it was nine or ten years (please those who read it recently correvt me if I'm wrong), so I think that because of what happened with AWTR, this time they are trying to stay more true to the story.
I'm hoping it will be a good companion to the book too. Lately it seems that is impossible for the directors to take a book to the bigscreen and stay true to it, and I'm certaily not looking forward for another AWTR but more for a BOMC.

i saw the sneak preview last saturday....loved it! so sad, but so good...i really like ryan gosling

i am glad i read the book beforehand...i recommend em both!

Heh. The actress that plays young Allie played ummm... Regina in Mean Girls. So I can't help but think she'll start stuffing her face with those fattening bars. :lol: Or did she play the hot chick in The Hot Chick? :blink: Or are they one in the same? :blink:

She may have been a "mean girl" in that movie, but I think (from what i've seen in the previews) that she is a great actress. I'm really excited to see The Notebook!!!

allaliasallthetime said:
iheartalias said:
highly anticipating this movie...I just finished the book yesterday. ^_^
i just started the book! I bought it this past weekend because I liked the previews for it...i think it's gonna be a great movie. :D
VERy good idea reading the book first...it enhances the movie ;)

iheartalias said:
allaliasallthetime said:
iheartalias said:
highly anticipating this movie...I just finished the book yesterday. ^_^
i just started the book! I bought it this past weekend because I liked the previews for it...i think it's gonna be a great movie. :D
VERy good idea reading the book first...it enhances the movie ;)
or it could make the movie suck b/c you pick apart everything the movie messed up (like i did w/ Harry potter :( )
o well its a gamble!

^ good point...LoL...i really enjoyed the book, and even though you sit through the movie knowing what's going to happen, i think in this case it added to it ^_^ just my opinion though... ;)

iheartalias said:
^ good point...LoL...i really enjoyed the book, and even though you sit through the movie knowing what's going to happen, i think in this case it added to it ^_^ just my opinion though... ;)
but i'm in the middle of it-well towards the end-of the book and its so sad!And I have a feeling it's not gonna turn out the way i want it too :( i hate endings like that

allaliasallthetime said:
iheartalias said:
^ good point...LoL...i really enjoyed the book, and even though you sit through the movie knowing what's going to happen, i think in this case it added to it ^_^  just my opinion though... ;)
but i'm in the middle of it-well towards the end-of the book and its so sad!And I have a feeling it's not gonna turn out the way i want it too :( i hate endings like that
your right endings that turn out not the way you want them to do suck -but i think you just might like this one ;) :P

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database