Drama The Passion of the Christ (2004)

xdancer said:
well, with as much controversy as the catholic church has seen lately, and the controversy that this movie is stirring up, can you really blame the pope for staying neutral?

when does it come out? i'm interested to see how mary Magdalene is portrayed. i'm just a little obsessed :P
the movie comes out 1 month from today! - February 25th!

about mary magdalene, i think all character portrayls will be true to the Bible.

A new article from Newsweek interviews the man who played Jesus - Jim Caviezel, and he tells how filming went and how Semitic (not anti-semitic) Mel Gibson was. This interview makes me more anxious to see this movie! Read it here

i want to see this either way im a christian so yeah. i mean really and all i got to say anti semetic or not jesus didn't HAVE to die and NO ONE made him he sacrificed himself.

i'm not sure i'm too keen to see this movie. i've read several articles over it and the articles seemed to portray that the movie really put the pressure/blame on jewish people. which is totally not fair and will just increase Anti-Semitism.

but then again...i haven't actually seen this movie so i can't judge...yet. and i realize that reviews are peoples own opinion. :smiley:

i just hope they're wrong. :smiley:

I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this question:

Is the film all in Latin with no subtitles? I read about this months ago and they said it was.
That would be very irritating; to watch a film without any understanding as to what people are saying.

~~Spongy!

I understand that it has subtitles. Further, it would be Aramaic with some Latin (spoken by the Roman characters).
;)

Sarahmañana said:
i'm not sure i'm too keen to see this movie. i've read several articles over it and the articles seemed to portray that the movie really put the pressure/blame on jewish people. which is totally not fair and will just increase Anti-Semitism.

but then again...i haven't actually seen this movie so i can't judge...yet. and i realize that reviews are peoples own opinion. :smiley:

i just hope they're wrong. :smiley:
Ive read from articles that it wasn't anti-semitistic and you should check out Jim Caviezel article and he says Mel was never anti-semitistic and it movie isnt either. Read it here

The debate about antisemitism rages on . . . I think it partly centers on a line (I believe from the bible, but I'm afraid I'm not a very good student yet) uttered by Caiaphais (not sure of my spelling, there) that the blood of Christ would be upon his and his following generations. Reportedly, Gibson is considering cutting this line and adding a sentence to be displayed on the screen at the conclusion of the movie: "During the Roman occupation, 250,000 Jews were crucified by the Romans, but only one rose from the dead." This in response to an evangelical who was concerned that Gibson's movie, although not intentionally antisemitic, could be used as such by antisemitic groups. He suggested the addition, saying, "I don't want my savior to be used as a sword to injure Jewish people." That's been done more than enough already, wouldn't you say?

It's easy enough to blame one group or the other for the premature death of Jesus, but in fact, his sacrifice was what his life was supposedly for (Oh, lamb of God, who taketh away the sins of the world!). His life was about forgiveness, not retribution. Antisemitism is the opposite of what Jesus lived his life for and I hope that those who view this movie will take a moment to remember that.
;)

i don't understand how having certain jewish leaders being blamed for the crucifixion would increase anti-semitism. after all, jesus was jewish.

verdantheart said:
The debate about antisemitism rages on . . . I think it partly centers on a line (I believe from the bible, but I'm afraid I'm not a very good student yet) uttered by Caiaphais (not sure of my spelling, there) that the blood of Christ would be upon his and his following generations. Reportedly, Gibson is considering cutting this line and adding a sentence to be displayed on the screen at the conclusion of the movie: "During the Roman occupation, 250,000 Jews were crucified by the Romans, but only one rose from the dead." This in response to an evangelical who was concerned that Gibson's movie, although not intentionally antisemitic, could be used as such by antisemitic groups. He suggested the addition, saying, "I don't want my savior to be used as a sword to injure Jewish people." That's been done more than enough already, wouldn't you say?

It's easy enough to blame one group or the other for the premature death of Jesus, but in fact, his sacrifice was what his life was supposedly for (Oh, lamb of God, who taketh away the sins of the world!). His life was about forgiveness, not retribution. Antisemitism is the opposite of what Jesus lived his life for and I hope that those who view this movie will take a moment to remember that.
;)
thanks for the comment, I agree!

12 more days!

xdancer said:
i don't understand how having certain jewish leaders being blamed for the crucifixion would increase anti-semitism. after all, jesus was jewish.
I know that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but since when does hate make a great deal of sense? Hate is basically irrational. It doesn't make sense.
-_-

saw the movie last night. its so good!!! bring tissues with you if you see it! and if you werent planning on seeing it, you should. its totally worth it. and yes its all in subtitles but it makes it seem more real and you get used to it right away. very good movie! and its very accurate too. anyone else seen it?

vartan-lova said:
very good movie! and its very accurate too.
Accurate maybe according to the Bible, but not according to actual history as researched by historians and theologians. I know the entire history department at my university is boycotting the movie...

The reviews I've read say that the movie glorifies suffering over the actual inspiration and teaching of Jesus' life. The branch of Catholicism that Mel Gibson belongs to is extremely conservative, and they tend to focus more on the suffering aspect than on the Christian messages of love and charity. Someone I know who saw the movie said that it's going to leave people feeling bitter and upset, not uplifted. What worries me is that so many people are going to take their children to see this movie. To me, it seems more like propaganda than art.

I'm so excited about this movie... I have to wait till Sunday to see it because our theaters sold out like 2 days after the tickets went on sale... but our church got the entire theater Sunday. The music is so dramatic... I'm so excited!