Drama The Passion of the Christ (2004)

Just saw it yesterday afternoon--simply one of the best movies I've ever seen (and I've been watching flicks for over 30 years!).

James Caviezel and Mel Gibson outdid themselves.

No anti-semitism in movie. The Sanhedrin were jerks. Kinda funny how all the flick's critics never point out that Simon of Cyrene (who helped Jesus carry His cross) is Jewish. Simon was hard-core. He wanted to stick around after the Romans told him to bail, in order to help Christ out. Awesome dude.

The bottom line of the movie: we ALL nailed Him to the tree. No one select group of humanity is solely responsible. Mel said that, and he proved it.

4 out of 4 stars from me (wish I could give it out 5 out of 4--it was that good!).

Cudgel

I saw this movie a couple of days ago, and I told myself that I would go into it with a open-mind. I also told myself I wouldn't cry just because everyone said they did, but at the end of this movie I was balling my eyes out. I don't have kids, but if I did I would have broken down!!!! This was honestly the best movie I have ever seen. I would reccomend this movie to anyone who is mature enough to understand it!!!

I saw this last night.

I guess first off I should say I'm atheist. But the friends I went with are all quite religious.

After a while, I couldn't stop the tears rolling down my face. How can you not be affected by anyone being beaten like that? And I never thought about it, before the movie, how much Mary suffered right along with her son. No mother should ever watch her son go through that.

Maybe because I'm atheist, I don't understand all this "the Jews killed Jesus" business. 'Cause I mean... even if you place the blame on someone, what's it going to accomplish? It happened over 1500 years ago.

yes i do kindof agree. but it is important to some ppl who is blamed for his death. some ppl say the movie blamed the Jews but im not sure they saw it. oh well.

God loves you!
<3 *Lauren*

spy_girl21 said:
I'm just wondering how accurate it is.
It is extremely faithful to the Gospels. That said, however, some might argue how "accurate" the Gospels are. It depends on how faithful you are, etc.
;)

I saw The Passion the day it came out, I skipped school to go to the first show. It was by far the greatest movie I have ever seen. And, just for the record, one of my teachers who is Jewish told me after she saw it that there was no anti-semitism in it at all, and I agree. The Jews didn't kill Jesus, we all did.

Eryn

Wow! This movie looks great!! I was going to see it today, but it was all sold out. I love Mel for making this movie. The only thing I don't understand is how people can argue about it. You know they can accept a movie on cannibalism or Buddism. But when it comes to making a movie about Christ, they can't accept it. That makes me so mad!!!

I think this movie will change a lot of lifes. I hope to walk in it different than when I walk out.

twinzz2003 said:
The only thing I don't understand is how people can argue about it. You know they can accept a movie on cannibalism or Buddism. But when it comes to making a movie about Christ, they can't accept it. That makes me so mad!!!
omg i totally agree! its like in public schools your like not allowed to talk about God but its okay to talk about Buddha and the egyptian gods and stuff. it doesnt make sense. but yeah i think ppl should just go see it and judge for themselves instead of sitting around saying they are boycotting it for some stupid reason. well, their loss i guess.

I've always found it interesting that studios were happy to push all kinds of gore, but when it came to the supernatural (espcially in the 30's - 60's), they backed off and explained it all away in the last scene! God forbid that anything should have a supernatural cause.

They seem almost as frightened by religion, although in the old days they used to supply a fair number of biblical and religious-themed epics (of varying quality).

I find it comical that Jeffrey Katzenberg, who was responsible for the animated Prince of Egypt (about Moses), which was about as de-religicized as a biblical epic could possibly be (it almost sounded like he was turning "have faith in God" into "have faith in yourself"! Why even bother choosing a religious theme if you're going to do that?), could come out decrying Mr Gibson's efforts (a man who actually had the guts to put his beliefs on the screen, for better or worse). Let him put his money where his mouth is and then maybe I'll listen to what he has to say.

Meanwhile, it seems sad that people are willing to protest something sight unseen. I like to know what I'm complaining about.
;)

wow! if the return of the king can win 11 oscars, so can this movie. it was so good. i dont know where to start. i couldnt stand the beating so i focused on the Romans counting. "duo de viginti, uno de viginti, viginiti" i thought they would stop, but no, they had to go til triginti, then finally, he commanded them to stop. but it was really good. the 14 stations and Mass will never be the same again.

vartan-lova said:
twinzz2003 said:
The only thing I don't understand is how people can argue about it. You know they can accept a movie on cannibalism or Buddism. But when it comes to making a movie about Christ, they can't accept it. That makes me so mad!!!
omg i totally agree! its like in public schools your like not allowed to talk about God but its okay to talk about Buddha and the egyptian gods and stuff. it doesnt make sense. but yeah i think ppl should just go see it and judge for themselves instead of sitting around saying they are boycotting it for some stupid reason. well, their loss i guess.
Well, actually, you can talk about God in school. You just can't be telling people what to believe. We did like ten minutes on Christianity when we were studying major world religions in history and then an even longer time on everything else. Like 3 days compared to our ten minutes. But, look on the bright side, in health, we're starting bible study independently of the class for all those who want to listen to me explain the Bible (or the parts I understand) to my friend who started reading it yesterday.

twinzz2003 said:
I hope it makes it's way to the number 1 all time box office it has now made :$240,200,000 according to the-numbers.com
the Passion has now made $267,681,000

i doubt it will be the highest grossing movie, it would have to beat Titanic's huge pull-in of $600,788,188 - that was just in the US.

Really unlikely for an R-rated film . . . something that children shouldn't be going to. I'm distressed to hear that parents are actually taking small children in with them.
:(

yeah i think some kids can handle it but....no. parents shouldnt be taking their children with them. they should atleast go see it first before they take younger kids to see it. i think its a great movie but definately too graphic.

saw it a few days ago..
it was pretty gross, but made me understand what Christ went through to save us. all the skin and bleed.. :Ph34r: