The past is not always what it seems

WOW IT"S AN UPDATE. Is it real? *pokes update* Yup it's real. SO y'all this is most likethe your last update before I leave for London (I'll be there the same time as the killers [I won't get to see them perform but I'll still be there]), Paris, and Lyon.
A/N I know the lyric's are a spoof of the chappy, but I love the song so much I had to include it.

Vaughn watched as Lauren’s face got closer and closer and closer. He couldn’t help but be repulsively reminded of worse times as she puckered her lips that annoying way she did. It was all he could do to keep from throwing up as her lips came in contact with his.

SOMETIME EARLIER

Jamie watched as a blonde woman approached them. She could see Vaughn tense up. Hatred burned so bright in Sydney’s eyes that Jamie couldn’t bear to look into them. Vaughn positioned himself as if to protect Syd.
“Michael, love, you’re finally back. I was so worried about you.” The woman said. What’s going on? Isn’t she supposed to hate Vaughn?
“She’s in denial.
Vaughn muttered low enough for only Syd and Jamie to hear.
“Come love, you’ve been gone for so long why don’t we head back to our flat?” Vaughn opened his mouth to say something, but this fierceness flashed through Lauren’s eyes. “What’s wrong love?” Lauren asked as if nothing was wrong. Then when Vaughn still didn’t move she suddenly grabbed his hand and pulled him up and walked off. Syd and I stared at them shocked. Then Syd suddenly jumped up.
“I’m going after them.’ She said.
“You can’t you’re pregnant.”
“That doesn’t matter if Vaughn doesn’t come home.”
“Yes it does, because one he will come home Lauren thinks they’re still in love and you are still dead; two if he doesn’t come home you will want to have that piece of him with you forever. So go back to the hotel before you make the biggest mistake of your life, and I’ll handle this, after all I was trained by the best.”

WEISS’S POV

How can I raise her child? She was so much more. It was like she knew life; she knew her goal; she knew… that she would die young. She lived it so full, so complete. She was Jamie’s rock, but she crumbled. How can I follow that? How can I do this? There’ll be first kisses, boyfriends, HE** I DON’T EVEN KNOW IF SHE’S HAD HER PERIOD YET! I’ve got to help her through missions, through the evils she’ll be exposed to. I have to be there for her birthdays; I’ve got to give her a life, because she doesn’t know she’s giving hers up to the CIA. I don’t know what’s going on in her head? She has too much potential to depend on some one like me. I’ve got amazing people as friends, but who am I alone? Nothing, I don’t have the talent of her trainers, or the life force of her mother, or the ability to remain cold to her like her father so she’ll learn not to try to depend on me. I’m the worst person to raise her.
At this moment Weiss walked past they calendar he had hanging in his kitchen. Look! I can’t even remember her birthday. It’s the only birthday I should have to remember, and I can’t. She’s in Paris right now pretending to be a family with the people who she deserves to be raised by, while I sit at home and wallow in self-pity. I should be there at the Rotunda right now pacing around worrying my a** off, that’s what Vaughn did for Syd. I shouldn’t be here; I shouldn’t have even let her join the CIA. So on her birthday she's in Paris innocent to the knowledge that because I didn't warn her like a guardian’s supposed to she has given away all chance to live her teenage years, or to have a normal relationship, he** a normal anything in fact. She’s the one who’s lost everything and is still taking chances, while I’m the one who’s lost nothing, and takes no chances. How Ironic.

An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day
It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
Isn't it ironic ... don't you think

SYD’S POV

I’ve just let a child save the man I love. Well at least attempt to. Am I insane? It used to be him sitting around worrying his a** off about me, while I was the one in the middle of all the action. Now I’m the worrying while a 12 year old goes to save him from the devil. Just as I thought we could lead a normal life. How ironic.

Chorus

It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought ... it figures

VAUGHN’S POV

I awoke suddenly to see Lauren sitting on her bed staring at me.
“Sorry love, but you’re always better drowsy.” She said. At this moment I heard my cell phone ringing. I slowly reached to get.
“Do you have to answer your phone now?” I decided the best way to get out of this was to play the part.
“But darling, it probably just the CIA calling to tell me that everything is just peachy.” I said adding in my puppy dog eyes.
“Fine, but just this once love.” I hated that pet name so much. I grabbed the phone and answered.
“Vaughn.”
“Oh, Michael I missed you so much. You were the best thing that happened to me. I just want a second chance.” I heard a familiar voice sob into the phone.
“Alice?”
“Yes, of course it’s me. Please come back to me I need you.” God, this is ironic.
“Alice, I’m in love with some one else.” I lowered my voice so Lauren wouldn’t hear me, “We are getting married, and having a child. I have no regrets, nor any need to go back to you. Go find someone else to pay for your expenses.” All of my past relationships coming back to me at once. Just before I set my phone down I saw they date and chuckled silently.

{*{*{*Flash back {*{*{*

“Ok.” The doctor started, “So the baby should be due October 23, which means it was created on December 11.”
“What?!?! But we well, ummm… you know…” Syd stammered.
“What she’s trying to say is that you were on a business trip that day, weren’t you honey.” I said trying to get Syd to not talk about what happened on December 11. It was ironic that the doctor should think we created our child on the day Lauren Reed tried to kill Syd.
“Sorry, I made a mistake. It’s really created May 10, and due February 26.” The doctor said. Syd and I both sighed in relief.

{*{*{*{*END FLAshBACK {*{*{*

Ironic.

Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids good-bye
He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
And as the plane crashed down he thought
'Well isn't this nice...'
And isn't it ironic ... don't you think
Repeat Chorus

Jamie’s POV

I watched as Vaughn was dragged into the hotel. Thank god for comms. I could hear every word Lauren was saying. But how to get into the room? How? Especially with this idiot following me, what am I supposed to do? I hadn’t learned this yet. Sydney hadn’t taught me anything about a situation like this. Well let’s set priorities, first I need to get rid of the stalker.

Sydney’s POV

All of the sudden my phone started ringing.
“What the heck, who’s calling right now?” I said to myself as I answered the phone.
“Sydney Bristow”
“Hello, Ms. Bristow, it’s your real-estate agent Maxine Choler. I was just calling to let you know that the house you and Mr. Vaughn put an offer on was sold to someone else. Have a nice day.” HAVE A NICE DAY! HAVE ANICE DAY! I just lost my husband for god sakes. I chucked the phone at the wall and watched as it burst into a bunch of pieces. Sh*t, that was my only communication with base camp. Great.

Well life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
When you think everything's okay and everything's going right
And life has a funny way of helping you out when
You think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up
In your face

It's a traffic jam when you're already late
It's a no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams
And then meeting his beautiful wife
And isn't it ironic... don't you think
A little too ironic... and yeah I really do think...
Repeat Chorus

Life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
Life has a funny, funny way of helping you out
Helping you out

Lyrics- "Ironic" by Alanis Morisette

Here you go. BTW this is unbeta'd like all of my chappy's. Sorry

oh woops!! IM ON IT IM ON IT!!!!!!! and you finally got the ironic song by alanis morrisette into a fic!! lol
-hey if u want a beta ill beta for ya
-GREAT update! but Lauren!!!! stupid lauren denial phase!! gerrr
LOL all his past relationships sneaking up on him!! lol

Hey, I loved that and it had a lot of intrigue, but, if you want a beta, I'd be happy to do it. Just send me the chapter each time you've completed one and I'm more than willing to beta it.

The only question I have is---why would Syd throw her phone against the wall like that??? And, weren't they supposed to be in the middle of a crowd or something when Lauren approached them? I may be wrong, but I didn't see any description of that in the past chapter.

So, I really can't wait to see what happens next, and I'd also like to be your beta.

A chappy's coming tomoorow, why not today I have insomnia and unless you want a really boring chapter well then NO. So about the Syd throwing her phone, hat was a wee bit of me in a character b/c when I get angry I tend to throw things. Just added it in there. I didn't realize it's not normal. *glances around shiftily*

btw two people offered to beta, and I'm indesicive, so if you could help me out. I don't how, just help, or else it comes down to enie meenie minie mo

Ok, I'm a really impatient person, so I'm gonan ask for an estimate. When do you think you'll be done betaing my chapter? B/c I'm really excited about the one I just wrote. Also I'll be warning you. I'm considering starting another story. I have too idea's running through my head, one that came about 5 senconds ago and another I've been thinking about for about the last 5 days. And I'm scared to start writing them, b/c I think there gonna suck. (Plus there really off the block, like Syd and Vaughn a having a child that get's schizophrenia, or a phantom of the opera/alias crossover [which I don't think will happen, but I want it too]) So Caitlin threw won't be too many wcccb updates, (at least not till Ola get's back, which I think will be saturday) b/c I'm going through a dark phase, and that is definatly not a dark story.

IT'S A CHAPTER!! Htanks to ethan for betaing! Btw: my school starts on Tuesday, so It might afect my writing schedule thingy mabobber (though it can't get much worse). So here is a chapter. btw: Ethan it's chapter 14.

Jamie distinctively remembered a story Weiss had once told her about Sydney getting rid of a tail. Syd had gone into a general shop and picked up a few items, enough to change her appearance, then went off with a group of girls. For some reason it seemed much more impressive now.

With a quick glance around, Jamie searched for one store she could use. However Lauren’s hotel was near the bottom of Montmatre, and in Jamie’s attempt to escape her tail, she had headed up it. Now, Montmatre was a tourist area of Paris, so she should have no problem, but one side of it was Paris’s sex scene. Jamie was on that side. If she had paid a little more attention she would have noticed herself passing the Moulin Rouge, but she had been thinking too much about how to get out of this situation.

The crowd was starting to thin out now as she got farther and farther away from the Moulin Rouge. With each step her tail got closer and closer. She wasn’t even half way up the hill yet. I’ve got to do something, She thought. Come on, think…. Think. What would mom do? That’s when it hit her. She continued walking up the street till she found a “theatre” with an alcove; she then ducked into the alcove and hid behind one of the pillars. She was wearing a white blouse and a plaid school girl like skirt. Using her outfit to her advantage, she rolled the skirt up till it was well past her mid thigh, then she unbuttoned the blouse and tied it so it showed her middrift; she dug around in her little sack until she found a roll of smarty’s. Mom used to love these Jamie thought as she crushed up a blue smarty and used the powder as eye shadow; she continued with the other colors until she had achieved her purpose, then she searched for a sucker which she sucked on till it was sticky enough to make her lips bright red. For a final touch she searched in the bottom of her bag for one of Syd’s clip-on earrings that she was holding for her, and she used it as a belly button ring. She then took her hair out of it’s pony tail and tousled it a bit.

Here goes nothing. Jamie thought, smiling to herself.

Jamie stepped out from behind the pillar and positioned herself between two buildings waiting for the people who were tailing her to walk by.

She didn’t have to wait long. Soon the two men walked right past her. They didn’t even look at her. Thank you mom. Jamie then waited another ten minutes before turning around and heading down the hill towards Lauren’s hotel. She had a feeling that more men would be there near the hotel, and this disguise wouldn’t work outside of the district she was in right now.

Once she reached the Moulin Rouge she saw the sign for the metro. She knew from personal experience that there were often souvenir shops in metro stations, so she headed down there. She found a pair of sun glasses, one of those scarves they sold everywhere, and a different shirt and skirt. With some more quick changes to her appearance she hoped she could pass herself off as Lauren Reed’s child.

Soon she was standing at the concierge’s desk in Lauren’s hotel.

“Hello, sir. My mum, Lauren, stays in the pent house here, and you see today my dad got back from a long trip, and mum and him wanted to get, well you know, reacquainted, so I went shopping, and while I was out I realized that my dad had my key to our penthouse. Silly me…” She laughed effortlessly and tossed her hair around. “So, may I have a replacement?” Jamie asked in perfect French.

“I haven’t seen you before...” the man questioned.
“I’ve been at a boarding school. My dad picked me up today on his way back here.”
“Oh. But you don’t look anything like Ms. Reed.”
“I’ve my dad’s looks. You know his sandy brown hair, green eyes…” at this point Jamie dropped her sun glasses enough that the concierge could the color of her eyes, and leaned forward enough that he saw something else as well.

“Oh.” He laughed nervously. “My mistake, mademoiselle. You haven’t seen the penthouse, you say? Well, it’s quite elegant.”

“Good, our last place was horrible.” Jamie said just to make small talk, if I can keep her distracted enough hopefully she won’t ask too many questions.
“Yes, may I warn you that the bellhop is very… well...” the man eye’s darted to the bellhop, a greasy old man who was clearly checking Jamie out.
“I see.” Jamie said with a knowing nod.
“Well here you go.”
“Thank you.” Jamie replied as she headed for the elevator. She stepped into the almost full elevator. A pressed her floor. The elevator rode up about half way when it stopped and almost everyone got off, and another bunch of people got on. During this transaction Jamie slipped off the elevator and headed for the stairs. She had been taught not to trust elevators.

By the time she reached the top floor, the elevator had too. How convenient, Jamie thought, as she stepped into the hallway. The guard was facing an empty elevator, clearly puzzled. Jamie took advantage of this, and knocked him out. Almost too easy.

The key card worked fine, but clearly there would be other problems, Jamie found out, as she opened the door. Standing there was a bewildered blonde woman Jamie recognized as Lauren, who was resting her hand on the chest of a blonde man with piercing blue eyes; Vaughn was strapped to a chair, and a middle aged man with a receding brown hair line, greasy skin, and brown eyes holding a needle very close to Vaughn’s hand was starring at her with the same expression as the bellhop.
“Now, now who is this?” asked the greasy man (aka….McKenas Cole).
“Why I believe it is Ms. Jamie Calloway. I’d like to know how you got past the men I had tracking you.” Lauren asked.
“What?” Vaughn croaked.
“Oh you surely couldn’t have believed that I went into denial over YOU. Especially when I have Julian.” Lauren cooed as she patted Sark.
“That’s right, Agent Vaughn. Once again you were blinded by love. We were worried you’d notice all of our agents in the café. Yes that’s right you weren’t surrounded by civilians. No, you and Ms. Bristow were fooled. I was amazed.” Sark continued. Cole laughed. Jamie and Vaughn shared a glance, and Jamie went for Lauren while Vaughn attempted to break free of his restraints. With the element of surprise Jamie managed to take out Lauren by knocking her against the wall, but was quickly caught by Sark. She glanced around nervously, and was amazed to see Cole lying on the ground and Vaughn sanding up getting closer and closer to Sark.
“If you take one step closer Mr. Vaughn I may just have to shoot this poor little girl. You wouldn’t want that now would you? After all you have grown quite fond of her over this “vacation” haven’t you?” Vaughn shared a glance with Jamie and Jamie suddenly became dead in Sark arms screaming out in pain, while Vaughn messed with his chain and the pieces of wood hanging from it. To his surprise, while Sark had been starring at Jamie trying to figure out what happened, he was suddenly knocked out by a flying object. Vaughn had broken his wrist to free it from the hand cuff, then had broken off a piece of wood from the chair and thrown it at Sark.

“Nice aim.”

`~``~`~``~`~`Back in L.A~~`````~`````~

Jamie could feel the tears coming. She kept having flashbacks to the feeling of that cold barrel against her head; she could feel Sark’s breathing, it was perfectly normal, like he was just discussing the current political situation over tea, not holding a human’s life in his hands like he was god. She kept feeling that cold sweat coming over her, but the thing that scared her most was how each time she could still remember herself thinking it wouldn’t be too bad to be gone, I mean I’d be with mom. That was what scared her, for one moment she had been happy to die, for that one moment she had been suicidal. For that one moment she had let her mom down.
She couldn’t help but sigh as she glanced around her room, Syd and Vaughn hadn’t known it was her birthday, Weiss probably forgot, the only recognition of her birthday had been from a worker at St. Paul’s. She had sent Jamie a flute that Jamie had saved up money for, and the worker, Juliana, had bought for her. The problem was she only had two piece s of music, a happy piece of music her mom had bought for her because it was high, therefore challenging, and an etude her mom had wrote, but that was for bass flute. That was what Jamie needed now; her mom’s old bass flute, but her dad had sold that. Playing music had always cleared her mind, maybe it would help with the flashbacks, but too her a chipper piece of music would just make it worse. All of the sudden someone knocked at her door.
“Come in” Jamie called out.
“Um hi… Jamie I got you something for your birthday.” Weiss said timidly. Jamie shot up then she slumped down again, Weiss wouldn’t know about the bass flute; that was after her dad had cut all ties with him.
“Yeah.” She answered dejectedly.
“Well you see in you mom’s will she left her bass flute to me. I don’t know why, but your dad almost sold it, and I wouldn’t let him. The CIA was very stingy a bout what I could and couldn’t keep of your mother’s. They wanted it for their investigation on her death, but I managed to get it back. So um here it is.” Weiss stumbled as he handed her the flute, he couldn’t help but smile as her face lit up. “I’m gonna go, ok. I need to talk to Syd and Vaughn about the mission.”
“Ok.” Jamie replied automatically. She had her flute. She immediately dug through her box of her mom’s stuff and found the etude.

<0>In the Hallway<0>

Weiss let himself slide down to the floor as he heard the song. It reminded him of a phoenix’s song of mourning that Jacki had told Weiss of. Jacki had been obsessed with mythology. It was one of her quirks. The actual name of the song Jamie was playing was Phoenix’s etude. Jacki wrote it; she had been so proud of that song. Weiss sighed. She shouldn’t be gone.

<o>Somewhere<o.

“YOU LET HER ON A MISSION?” A man yelled over the phone.
“I’m sorry I had to sir. Besides I was certain she’d die, after all she was walking into a death trap. I didn’t know she’d be able to get out.” Director chase replied
“Fine, fine, just gain her trust, put her on some goose hunts, but don’t let her do anything big. Once she’s passed her purpose dispose of her.” The voice said again.
“Yes sir, I won’t use her past her shelf life.” Chase replied.
“You won’t have her past her shelf life.” The voice said again.

There you go!

yea a chapter! this is the first time ive been on for a long time so yaeh. it was wonderful... i wonder who the man on the phone was?? please update soon!

Ummm just to let y'all know i'm totally swamping my previous ending idea and starting a new one, so this will end in a bout 1 chappy and an epilogue

It's and update. Only one more chappy left. Ahhhhhh

Jamie grunted as she tried once more to find any CIA documents about mutant Sloth’s, for some odd reason the CIA thought that was Rambaldi’s end game. Mutant Sloth’s, what will they think of next? The last time it had been evil bardies, once poisoned beer that made everybody who drank it under some computers control, and to top it all of they thought the there might actually be some truth behind Sir Author Conan Doyle’s “The Lost World” where explorer’s discovered a plateau with dinosaurs on it in the early 19th century. Jamie hadn’t been sent on a real important believable mission since her first one.
Her life sucked. She spent everyday researching some lunatic idea, while fighting with the CIA over basically everything. It had taken Weiss and her 9 months to convince them to let her get her drivers license, and now they reused to let her go to college. Really there was no reason for Jamie to go to college, but to meet the people, seethe sights, and just experience it was to enticing for Jamie to not attempt to go. No matter what Weiss and her said, she could learn more, it’d be a great chance for her to watch people, or it make her seem more normal the CIA wouldn’t buy it. Her only friends were Weiss, Syd, Vaughn, and there two kids Jada and Ewan. That was all she had. Her life revolved around four living people, and one deceased one. Surely there should be more to life than that. This isn’t it. Is it?

#!#!#later that day#!#!#!#

Jamie sighed as she trudged into the apartment. In and hour she was supposed to be babysitting for the Vaughn’s and she really hoped Syd hadn’t given them sugar she was already worn out. Weiss was away on business in DC, so the house was empty. All of the sudden the doorbell rung. I wonder who that could, Jamie thought. Probably some solicitor, Jamie smiled with the thought of how she could mess with this one, maybe today will get better.
“I’m coming.”
“Hello Jamie.” There stood her father with his arms open expecting a hug, but that wasn’t what scared Jamie, what did was his expression. It was not one of pure pleasure that man who just saw his daughter for the first time in years should have had. Oh no. His expression could only be described as one a druggie would wear when finally after many years off the habit, but never fully recovered, had gotten their drug back. One of a perverse pleasure for having your drug, so to speak, back in your hands. Ben’s drug was power, power over the weak. Immediately Jamie slammed the door in his face and locked it, then she bolted for the back door. Thank god this is a 1st floor apartment, she thought as she jumped over their patio fence and ran.
She was running from her problems. From the CIA, her dad, the communism she lived under, from the disappointment, from everything. Her long legs sped faster and faster the farther she went. Where was she going? She didn’t know, nor did she care. She was oblivious to her surroundings, in Jamie’s mind it was just her and the wind. She didn’t notice the sobs that racked her body or the salted tears that poured out of her eyes. All she knew was the wind, that sensation of flying. Suddenly her feet stopped. She was there, wherever there was.
For one moment she felt like someone who had just lost one of their loved ones. For one moment she experienced that dark surprise, like you were walking up the stairs in the dark and over estimated how many stairs there were. That feeling of your foot falling through the air, not knowing where it was going, why, or not knowing how to stop it. Just a sick surprise, then it hit, like the foot hitting the floor. All of her emotions came flooding back to her; anger, anxiety, curiosity, regret, disappointment, surprise. And a realization. That she had joined the CIA to follow her mom, she had tried to fill up her mom’s footsteps, her mom’s life force, but for once, once in her life, her best hadn’t been enough. And that scared her. It scared her that no matter how hard she tried there was no light at the end of the tunnel, that for once she had no control; for once there was nothing she could do because her best wasn’t enough. That sentence echoed in her head. Her best wasn’t enough. It wasn’t enough.
She succumbed to the sobs. She let them overtake her, pull her to the floor. She felt no determination to fight back, no need to. Why? Why when there is no chance I can win? Her whole optimistic view was shattered, more like disappeared. There was no way she could get it back, but then again why try? Her best wasn’t enough.

The sick surprise thing thats from Lemony Snicket, but i thought i was good
Yay or Nay? WHat do you say?

Back