"The Pilot" - Island Madness

Galicdreamer

These Words, From My Heart...
* As I stated in my first column I will be going back and writting column's for the first 15 episodes. All of the questions are ones that were running through my head at the time of the show. Take what you will from it. :smiley:

Pilot (1.1)What would you do if you were flying along in an airplane, Everything is calm and smooth. Then suddenly you hear a loud bang and the airplane is ripped in two, You black out. When you finally come to, you are lying on a beach in the middle of no where surrounded by plane debris, fires, and screaming people. What would you do?
This is where JJ's new show Lost picks up. We first meet Jack who, while being stitched up by a another plane crash survivor named Kate, we find out is doctor. We see a pretty pregnant blonde standing in the middle of the beach crying and young man who appears to be looking for his son. Next we meet Sayid and Charlie, who decided to build a campfire. A man named Hurley is taking airplane food that he has found and is passing it out to any other survivors he sees. Jack says that they need to find the front half of the plane and try to locate the transceiver, which will allow them to radio for help. Kate says she is gong to go with him and as Jack starts to argue back a loud howl is heard in the jungles and the trees start shaking. No one will be going anywhere tonight.
Jack, Kate and Charlie decided to brave the forest and find the fuselage. They finally manage to locate it and see that there are no signs of other survivors. They make they're way up to the cockpit and find the pilot still strapped into his seat. While rummaging through for the transceiver the pilot comes to. He tells them that 6 hours into the flight the lost radio contact and turned back around to head to Fiji. By that time they ran into heavy turbulence and crashed. If there is a rescue operation up and running for them, they are looking in the wrong spot. No one knows where they are.
The pilot tells them where the transceiver is and he tries to get it working. Kate finds Charlie coming out of the bathroom and before she can inquire why he's there, the loud howling from last night is heard again. The pilot decides to investigate and climbs partially threw the front window when he is suddenly pulled the rest of the way through The fuselage is attacked and knocked to the ground. Kate, Charlie and Jack start running back in to the forest being chased now by whatever that is. Jack falls, Charlie sops to help him leaving Kate alone to hide in a tree. Suddenly Charlie appears and they go back tot look for Jack. They find him looking up at a tree. Where they find he pilot hanging from the top.

Welcome to the island...and what an introduction we received. Monsters, flying pilots, and a major plane crash in the middle of it all. Looking at the beginning of the show I have to wonder the significant's of Jack's role. Why is he the first person that we are introduced to. Will the fact that he's a doctor play an important role or just a minor part.

Kate as well seems to be playing an important role. But she doesn't seem to have a great important attributes. Jack's a doctor and I can see why he would be considered important, but what about Kate? She just seems to be anxious to help Jack. Is she hanging around the "alpha male" because she is hiding something...maybe something related to the crash?

And why are we shown early on that Charlie is a drug addict. Maybe his addiction had something to do with the crash? Will his need for his drug become a greater problem for he rest of the survivors. Hampering their attempts to get rescued? Can we trustt him at all?

Random Question of the Week:
Why are we shown the pilot being killed by the "monster" (I use this term carefully)? Are we suppose to be getting a greater sense of fear this early in the show?

Next Week:
Seafood anyone...or something colder?

Galicdreamer said:
Random Question of the Week:
Why are we shown the pilot being killed by the "monster" (I use this term carefully)? Are we suppose to be getting a greater sense of fear this early in the show?
I think definitely yes! What better way to hook viewers than with some horrifying, unknown beast that can leave a human being hanging in the trees? My grandma's still convinced it's a dinosaur, even though I keep telling her, "It's not a dinosaur!!!" :rolleyes:

Do you have the episodes on tape, Heather? Or are you just going by memory? If so, that's a pretty good memory! I wish I'd started recording the episodes at the beginning, like I do with Alias. I had no idea I'd get so into it. Oh, well...that means it'll be more exciting when the DVDs come out in September, I guess!

Back