The Poisonwood Bible

I almost bought Pigs in Heaven last night at Borders... but I was already buying Confessions of a Shopaholic, so I decided not to, 'cause I still need to get a father's day present.

i'm almost done with the bean trees(at which when my sister saw i was reading it she goes, 'beans don't grow on trees. duh! your books are SO stupid') i've got pigs in heaven and i'm going to read that as soon as i'm done.

alias_fan said:
i'm almost done with the bean trees(at which when my sister saw i was reading it she goes, 'beans don't grow on trees. duh! your books are SO stupid') i've got pigs in heaven and i'm going to read that as soon as i'm done.
LoL!!! My sister thinks my books are dumb too. She was like "'All Men Are Mortal'? Well, duh." And she's almost 25! :rolleyes: Siblings.

I can't believe I missed this thread about "The Poisonwood Bible." It was a fascinating book. Nathan Price was hilarious and tragic at the same time -- sincere about what he was doing, but utterly clueless about how to go about it. He dragged his family on a missionary trip to the Congo with no knowledge of the land, the people, the culture, the language, or anything else. It wouldn't take a genuis to figure out that the trip would be less than a resounding success. I can't wait to read another Barbara Kingsolver novel! :clover:

LoL Welcome Ophelia!

And I agree with what you said about Nathan Price... especially when he goes on his own, with like no support from his church, if I remember correctly.

Yes, the church itself refused to support the trip because they felt that the political situation in the Congo made it too dangerous. Nathan Price's fanaticism destroyed the family, and he ended up being killed by the very people he was trying to help. It's a fascinating book; if they ever make a movie of it, I hope Hollywood doesn't make a hash of it. :D

they have made a movie of it...at least the library had a movie of it. doesn't look that good. but the book was awesome. nathan price frustrated me! he was being too blind.

i know! soo many times i wanted to yell at him and i felt terrible for leah and her blind devotion(i think thats a quote!LOL) for him! how she kept with him through everything until the whole hunting ordeal.

well i think he had compassion but had it in all the wrong places, i dont think he understood that his family was trying. he thought that he was better than everybody else becuase of his faith and his position. He put them lower than they were, everyone is lower than God but Nathan took that too far as in they are worthless(i loved how Rachel described his voices as "dog pee and moron tone of voice") i was very upset with many of his actions, especially when he would hit orleanna.

yeah well that's right. i kinda meant to compassion for his family. i just felt like he didn't even take the time to notice them and take the time to watch them grow up. the thing that kinda was the "straw that broke the camel's back" was what he did about ruth may.

Victoria King said:
i know! soo many times i wanted to yell at him and i felt terrible for leah and her blind devotion(i think thats a quote!LOL) for him! how she kept with him through everything until the whole hunting ordeal.
LOL....it was a quote Vic!

I just read another of Orleanna's pieces.....what an amazing character! She seems and feels so out of place (market day!)....whether actually there or back home again.

I just realized that the beginning of the book... I think the chapter was called "the things we carried" and talked about layering the dresses and the cake mix, etc... anyways, that chapter is a total play on the first chapter of The Things They Carried, by Tim o'Brien. Pretty interesting...

I'm finally finding more time to read PW...and I can't seem to put it down! LOL..I still have lots to go, but I can't help flipping ahead. Someone mentioned Anatole....then Leah....and all was lost! ;)
But I loved the dinner with Anatole (b/w Mr. Price)

I know!!! When he broke right near Orleanna, I could barely read, I was so overwhelmed. It made me so angry at how she had to hold herself back and almost obediantly.

Back