The Poisonwood Bible

yeah, i feel the same way about Adad and Rachel :eek: Rachel wasn't that bad because who wouldn't complain about living in a whole new place? but then at the end i just so piiiiiiissed at her selfishness and how she couldn't care less for the poverty out there!

I think I disliked Rachel from the start, but then again I was one of the few who liked Leah instantly. Adah was always something else...I liked how she talked and analyzed why things were happening the way they went.

Orleanna always got me with her little "pre-part" things, she put so much into them, that you could actually visualize life w/ Nathan and life w/o Ruth May.

no i liked leah right away! i admired her for her faith in God and her part in the beginning of the book helped me with my faith acutally.

and yes i loved orleanna's parts as well...you could see how life was different with nathan before he went to war..when he came back and when she came back home without ruth may. i love how she walks the beach barefoot and sells flowers on the side of the street.......africa affected her and brands her.

Leah definitely changed...without a doubt she did. But if you look she still compares and thinks of her father religiously. I remember her sitting with Rachel and Adah and they were talking about his death and the Bible story. She just found what was most important to her...which obviously springs from Anatole. But he's the one who helped her see that the things happening weren't God's fault. The ants were hungry...and so on.

btvaughn said:
Leah definitely changed...without a doubt she did. But if you look she still compares and thinks of her father religiously. I remember her sitting with Rachel and Adah and they were talking about his death and the Bible story. She just found what was most important to her...which obviously springs from Anatole. But he's the one who helped her see that the things happening weren't God's fault. The ants were hungry...and so on.
yes i knew leah's faith changed and yes i see what you are saying about anatole and agree with it!

and yes her faith! :angry: he was too set in his ways and too stubborn to make a good missionary!

Victoria King said:
and yes her faith! :angry: he was too set in his ways and too stubborn to make a good missionary!
AHHHH I KNOWWWWWW- sooo stinking stubborn. i don't care much about the christianity thing since i don't believe in god but w/e... i just hated Nathan's attitude and how he's the household's "master" and that what he said was the only right thing... :banghead:

oh well i am a Christian and felt terrible for leah and her struggling faith and outlook on life there but her father was very set in his ways and not "changing" the Bible to his times...in the C thread we were just talking about something like this.....hmmm i wonder if i can find it! when i find it i will post a link to it!

but it was on how the woman obeys the man of the house and does all she can to serve him with no protest...and there was a nice little discussion on that because most of us feel that that is true to some extent but yet since the times are certainly different the structure of the house changes abit but not too much! i will have to find that link for you! i feel that he should have respected his wife and daughters alot alot more!!!!!!!!!! even though they are supposed to let him manage things, that gives him no right to disrespect them in no way what so ever...i actually think that there is a verse or two on that subject as well.....the man respecting the wife..i remember there was a sermon about that acouple weeks or months ago...i will look for that as well!

yeah, i don't get why Nathan is such a pig's ass about respect and all... Orleanna does all the house work but apparently that doesn't matter.

EEEEEEE "mother may I" :lol:

Victoria King said:
oh well i am a Christian and felt terrible for leah and her struggling faith and outlook on life there but her father was very set in his ways and not "changing" the Bible to his times...in the C thread we were just talking about something like this.....hmmm i wonder if i can find it! when i find it i will post a link to it!
Very true, Miss Vicki! And I know what you're talking about, and if you find the link, please post it.

And the Mother May I....I used to play that as a child and seeing the game all over...and at the grave made it hurt even more. *sigh* Bringing real emotions into the story, I apologize. It always happens when I read a good book!

aww ANNA! you should read it! its one of the best books i have ever read and i got all these ppl to read it and love it so im sure if they all loved it then you will too!

hope you read it and love it as much as us!

lol i'm still not done. i have a chapter left but last night i read some more... and it's funny how similar Leah/Adah are now and how different Rachel is.

Nathan is burned :blink: holy cow...

nance said:
I didn't cry when i read it but- it was sad!

I just can't believe it was Ruth May though! It should have been Rachel :lol:
ahhh, so she's gotten to the saddest part... that made me near tears... which is TRULY saying something as books and movies hardly EVER make me cry.

i just wanted to bump this thread. i visited kenya a couple weeks ago, which is east of the Congo (where this book is set). it was amazing to see the remnants of imperialism and the attitute of superiority you saw in characters like Nathan Price and Rachel. many of the missionaries in africa are doing good things, but some still have the attitude that Nathan Price had.

Back