Season 2 The Rambaldi Book

lenafan

Cadet
:confused: Now this has been a puzzle and maybe we'll find out during TTT.
The scene where Irina tells Sydney she loves her no matter what happens-- Sydney walks up to the window. Irina is sitting at the little desk looking at "the book" and writing on "postit notes".

However, you have 3 days plus several hours, to get your opinion here....

Who gave Irina the book? And WHY?

First she's a prisoner of the CIA (US Govt). She helped retrieve it, but knowing her background I just can't believe they would let her have it.
Second, if they did, they certainly would get it back and check it. We know the book supposedly did not leave LA, so when Jack said that Arvin would not expect her to have it with her we know it wasn't supposed to be in Panama or at least not on her.

i think they were "trusting" he with it in her cell hoping that she can decifer the info ...
it seems like the cia would want to know as much as they can to understand both the rambuldi ideas and what sloan is after...

Hummmm~good answer, but giving it to a woman they have referred to as a terrorist and not checking? I thot the CIA would know better.

Well, I don't think the writers thought this all the way through. Or maybe the CIA is really just that stupid. Either way, they needed Irina to somehow get the book, maybe that's the best they could come up with. And I'm thinking that they were having her decipher it, because Sydney saw her with the book and didn't seem bothered by it. But wouldn't the CIA have taken it back from her? Grrr....I keep arguing with myself...

irena has been nothing but helpful since the beginning of season 2, and all she ever asked for was her earrings and some coffee.... with her biggest opponent backing her, and with the idea of catching sloane, I GUESS the cia was just banking on this not being the first time she tricks them (recently...)

I was kinda wondernig about that too.. why did she have the book? Did she just go... yea, so jack... all the magazines in my bathroom are really old, you mind if it take this in there... ya know... to give me something to read.

Not that i dont think they would have trusted her with it... i just dont know she'd need to have access to it. Though, sloane would obviously ask irena if about it... even if she would sell rambaldi stuff, she'd at least have peeked at it.

Possibly a fake Rambladi book was already made for Irina that she picked up. Remember that this plan to betrray the CIA was long term. She didnt' just think of it spontaneously. So there was probably a fake one that someone handed to her in Hong Kong.

Just a possibilty, but I don't think it'll be mentioned on alias.

I also like the idea that they gave it to her to decipher. :smiley:

Well, since she has been nothing but helpful for the past episodes, the CIA had no reason not to trust her, though she is a terrorist, a criminal, a murderer and what not.

She was going to be negotiating the "sale" of the book to a major international player without being trusted to have it. She was going to have to prove that she had it without actually having it, therefore Kendal let her study it for dimensions and content since Sloane is the expert on the topic and might have had that info. He might have had a middleman confirm her validity before agreeing to meet with her, at least that's what she told Kendal, plus she's the foremost Rambaldi expert they have. However that scene was cut due to time restraints. What they did keep in was a shot of her in her cell studying the book with all those post-it notes that she used to fool the CIA when she "returned" it the last time. She had the pages of the book hidden on her when she left her cell to go out into the field with Jack.

oOoOo i was think bout that too...shes a criminal isnt she and they gave her acess to a very valuble book....i think she seduced jack to get it! haha...jack was such an idiot..

He was...But wait, Irina would have had to make the switch before seducing Jack, because the CIA was supposed to have the book the whole time, so how could she have gotten it after leaving? Or am I just being dilusional?

Yes, Irina would and no you're not dillusional.

Lots of conjecture here and the writers will take us wherever they want to go...

Back