Fantasy The Shape of Water (2017)

Tom

An Old Friend
Title: The Shape of Water

Tagline: A Fairy Tale for Troubled Times

Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Romance

Director: Guillermo del Toro

Cast: Sally Hawkins, Doug Jones, Michael Shannon, Richard Jenkins, Octavia Spencer, Michael Stuhlbarg, David Hewlett, Nick Searcy, Stewart Arnott, Nigel Bennett, Lauren Lee Smith, Martin Roach, Allegra Fulton, John Kapelos, Morgan Kelly, Wendy Lyon, Madison Ferguson, Jayden Greig, Deney Forrest, Brandon McKnight, Dru Viergever, Marvin Kaye, Jim Pagiamtzis, Cameron Laurie, Alexey Pankratov, Shane Clinton Jarvis, Evgeny Akimov, Dave Reachill, Matthew Mease, Amanda Smith, Maxine Grossman, Edward Tracz, Shaila D'Onofrio, Vanessa Oude-Reimerink, Sergey Nikonov, Jonelle Gunderson, Clyde Whitham, Dan Lett, Danny Waugh, Karen Glave, Diego Fuentes, Cody Ray Thompson

Release: 2017-12-01

Runtime: 123

Plot: An other-worldly story, set against the backdrop of Cold War era America circa 1962, where a mute janitor working at a lab falls in love with an amphibious man being held captive there and devises a plan to help him escape.
The Shape of Water (2017)

Okay, so I watched this one tonight. I like the creature design of Abe Sapien in Hellboy better.
I think GD Toro was going for artzy but it came off as boring and really uneventful.
There is a degree of romance and fairytale in it but as for a Hellboy reboot with this asset, no way.
If you squint and cock your head just right you might consider the asset as being an alien from another world...lol. Nah...
I might watch this film again if I am looking to watch monster films but there are so many other films with better designs it will be Waaaay down on the list.

It was okay. I cannot see how it could win Best Picture, but I haven't yet seen all the others nominated.
All I thought for the first half hour was how it copied "Amelie", my favorite movie.
I don't want to see it again. There's not enough there.

Was that the intent of this, as a backdoor reboot of Hellboy?
I read some quip about the possibility somewhere.
I do know that Hellboy is getting a reboot.
The way they have been tying things together with backstories it does kinda make sense that this might be touted as a origin of Abe Sapien's heritage. Perhaps they will be going for a race of fishmen to which Abe Sapien is part of?
The only way to be sure is to see the new Hellboy and see if there is any connection made or implied.
But with the similarity of the this creature to Abe, it looks likely.