The shooter in Las Vegas

ByGoneYrs

Gaelic Oracle
Hello everyone, lets talk about the shooter in Las Vegas.

Now as I write this thread, he killed 59 people and injured 500+ other people. It is being reported that he had 23 weapons in the hotel room and 19 more weapons in his one home. I should point out that he has always been a law abiding citizen, with nothing in his background that would make anyone look twice at him. Now it would appear that he has had all the training and passed his background checks to buy all of these weapons. It should also point out that all of these weapons cost a lot of money, so this retired Accountant spent a lot of money to buy all 42 weapons. Also buying all the different ammo, that would cost a pretty penny as well too.

Speaking as a former US Army Airborne Ranger - Sniper, I find it strange that no one saw him collect all these weapons and Ammo. It would have taken time to collect all of these weapons. I also thought there was a limit to how many weapons one could buy and register in a defined period of time. Plus the same thing is on Ammo, I thought there was a limit as to the amount one could buy in any given period of time. Now speaking for myself, I only have a few weapons myself. I have a Winchester rifle, double barrel shotgun over under, I have two black powder musket rifles and a couple of hand guns. That took me a few years to collect them as they were all expensive, plus the time to clean all of them takes a while. I can not imagine one person cleaning 42 weapons on a regular basis.

Now I have tried to look into this person that did the shooting...Stephen Craig Paddock, age 64. The only things that have come out is he is a declared Democrat, and at a Anti Trump rally (in a video) wearing one of those Pink Pu$$& knitted caps ( a real winner)! I as a former Sniper with confirmed human targets, will not even shoot a animal while hunting. To me a unarmed animal is not sport, I go with my friends when they hunt but I do not kill any animal. I still do target practice to keep up my skills, but would never kill a unarmed civilian.

Now the Left is starting up on the Gun Law debate, I don't see any new laws that would have done anything to stop this situation. I do believe that we should have federal background checks. I also feel there should be a limit on how many weapons someone can buy in a period of time like 6 months or some agreed to time. I am friends with quite a few Law enforcement officers (Police, Marshals, State Troopers) and none of them have 42 weapons, they are more like myself. Now I will say one of my friends has bought and restored a WWI tank, but he is a rare person!!!

What does everyone think?

I believe it is better left to the experts to try to figure out the mind of a psychopath.
I believe that guns are not the threat, people are the threat.
I think that, given the opportunity, more people will mass murder.
I think that given the intelligence and hatred, there will be a super-pandemic attack.
Guns are not effective forms of mass murder, viral agents are.

Now the Left is starting up on the Gun Law debate, I don't see any new laws that would have done anything to stop this situation. I do believe that we should have federal background checks. I also feel there should be a limit on how many weapons someone can buy in a period of time like 6 months or some agreed to time. I am friends with quite a few Law enforcement officers (Police, Marshals, State Troopers) and none of them have 42 weapons, they are more like myself. Now I will say one of my friends has bought and restored a WWI tank, but he is a rare person!!!
Wouldn't having restrictions on the number of guns a person could buy or similar restrictions be part of new laws?

Well as I stated I have 4 rifles and 4 handguns. Now I never have had any legal trouble, had a Security clearance at one time, and was ex-military. Now I would say 42 weapons is a bit much, but I think if I want to get more weapons over time I should be able to. Granted I am more interested in antique firearms

It appears that the shooter has been buying weapons legally since 1983 and his brother didn't know that he had any weapons...give me a break! Now if you have a weapon you need to service it/clean it at least once a year to maintain it. Plus he would have had to take some of these weapons out to a range and practice shoot them multiple times to get familiar with them and be able to hit something. Then every time he used a weapon, he would need to service/clean it. Plus if he modified any of these weapons he would have to set up a work area somewhere with special vices and tools and it would be easy to see that he was working on or modifying a weapon. Just as a not it is "REAL EASY" to convert a Semi-Automatic weapon to a Automatic weapon, but quite frankly Automatic weapons are a waste of time. In this case it is ok to spay a large area and crowd, but to target real combat target semi-automatic is a more accurate attack mode.

So what's the feeling on the "bump stock" devices, which apparently the shooter was using according to the news outlets, to mimic the functionality of a fully automatic weapon?

I would have to see one and try it to see what it truly does. From what I have read it absorbs the recoil and allows you to better improve your ability to be more accurate...I am not so sure it increases the number of shots...as I said Semi-Automatic is better to hit a target.

I would have to see one and try it to see what it truly does. From what I have read it absorbs the recoil and allows you to better improve your ability to be more accurate...I am not so sure it increases the number of shots...as I said Semi-Automatic is better to hit a target.
Hhhmm.... I haven't seen anything yet about it being able to improve accuracy. Here's a CNN article and their description of it.

Bump stock: The device found on Las Vegas shooter's guns - CNN

Also known by the brand name Slide Fire, bump-fire stocks, or "bump stocks," modify such rifles as an AR-15 to "allow it to fire in rapid succession or automatic fire," said Sam Rabadi, a retired ATF special agent.
On semi-automatic weapons, the trigger must be pulled every time to fire a round, after which the weapon reloads itself. On automatic weapons, once the trigger is pulled and held, the weapon will continue firing until the ammunition is expended or the trigger is released.

Bump-fire stocks are attached to the receiver of the rifle. The stock uses the recoil effect to bounce the rifle off the shooter's shoulder and "bump" the trigger back into the trigger finger, thereby firing the weapon repeatedly.

EDIT: Swapped the video

Well it would appear from the video that it does increase the fire rate, I quess I would have to ask how is THAT legal to be sold when Fully Automatic weapons are illegal in the US.

(CNSNews.com) - On June 7, 2010 -- about a year and a half into the Barack Obama administration -- the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives issued an opinion letter, giving the go-ahead to an after-market accessory that allows the user to “bump fire” a semi-automatic rifle.

A company called Slide Fire had earlier sent its patented replacement shoulder stock to ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch, asking for an evaluation of the device.

The ATF, in reply, wrote: “Your letter advises that the stock (referenced in this reply as a ‘bump stock’) is intended to assist persons whose hands have limited mobility to ‘bump fire’ an AR-15 type rifle.”

The device replaces the factory stock and grip. The replacement stock moves back and forth with the gun's recoil, allowing it to fire rapidly and continuously as the trigger repeatedly is bumped into the shooter’s finger. A switch allows the user to select semi-automatic fire (one shot for each trigger pull) or the more rapid “bump fire.”

Bump-Stock Device Received ATF Green Light During Obama Administration

Well I know one thing for sure, he is in hell now, and all those souls he took are beating him up on an eternal basis. As far as weapons go, 2nd amend. is there for a reason, so I don't worry about it. All terror victoms I send my prayers to and their families....

Now I agree with your feeling about this Dirtball. I will say this, I believe that it is ok for us to own weapons but 49 is a bit much.

Now I agree with your feeling about this Dirtball. I will say this, I believe that it is ok for us to own weapons but 49 is a bit much.
Yeuppers, I want to know this dirt bags way of thinking, if they "fox" news brushes it under the carpet, I will become very suspicious.....

Back