The Soul of Irina Derevko

lenafan

Cadet
AN: This story comes from the last episode of BEFORE THE FLOOD. It is POST-BTF and PRE-Search and Rescue. The story is a series of scenes as Irina Derevko leaves her family behind making her way to safety and flashbacks of what happened after her last computer contact with Jack when he asked about The Passenger.
It was interesting to note that in SAR, Irina never once mentions Sloane as Nadia’s father. Perhaps she believes that Jack knows he’s the father, therefore doesn’t mention it at all except in that passing remark: “I wonder who she gets that from?”
I have written many stories about Irina and Jack. Therefore, once in awhile you may see a remark or scene from a previous activity, interaction, or place, which relates to a familiar storyline (mine). If you are a new reader and haven’t read any of my stories, it is alright. If you want to know more about them, PM me.
A good part of the story is written in ITALICS, meaning they are her thoughts and dreams.
ALL CHARACTERS except those I develop, belong toe JJ Abrams and ABC TV.
RATING: NC-17 for violence, sex, and language.
SUMMARY: Irina Derevko killed her sister who had set in motion a plan that would ‘cleanse’ the world. She was with the team of APO members, which included her husband, two daughters, and Michael Vaughn. Jack does not detain her and gives her a chance to get away.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>THE SOUL OF IRINA DEREVKO</span>
By LENAFAN

Part One – Walking Out

Irina stood hidden by the trees. She looked back on Sovogda. There were fires burning everywhere. In the distance, she could hear the faint beat of a helicopter. That must be the one to pick up Sydney, Jack and the others including Nadia, whom she had known only a few days.

She would find a way someday and soon, to see her daughters again. She hoped the American doctors would find a cure for Nadia’s affliction. She felt as though she might cry, but stiffened. She had to live and that meant leaving the area without any of the Russian military seeing or hearing her.

Her countrymen would shoot first and then ask questions. She had to locate the lines controlling the city’s entrances and exits, then hide. Hitching the automatic rifle over her shoulder, she made her way into the brush and then further into the trees. She did not think it would be long before she would hear military vehicles heading down the road into the city. She sat down, her back to a tree. Heavy brush was tall and thick. It kept her completely hidden. Irina pulled a flask from her inside jacket pocket and drank. It was good water not the polluted water of the city behind her. She wished she had some vodka; it would make the time pass pleasantly.

She dozed. The sound of many engines awakened her. Irina stayed perfectly still not wanting to look for fear someone would see her. She knew what was going to happen. Based on the interaction between their strike force team and the CIA at home, Russia was not about to admit to anything, but a chemical explosion. That they had already told the world, although in retrospect, Irina doubted that story would fly in the face of satellite pictures.

She heard voices, but they were far enough away for her not to worry about being found. She would have to wait. Cradling the automatic rifle in her arms, she leaned her head back, closed her eyes, and slept. It had been a rough three days. Sydney found her in the hellhole Yelena ordered her kept in; then she was taken prisoner and put into a cell at the CIA. They brought her to APO where she signed some paper agreeing to return to the US after they destroyed the Mueller device, and then the jump and subsequent confrontation with her sister.

Irina was exhausted. She’d had little food and no one really was interested in her, only in getting the Mueller device destroyed before the world came apart in Yelena’s planned apocalypse and then Jack’s releasing her from the promise to return to the U.S. That was a surprise, but she thought she saw something in his face and eyes…love or something so close that she had to kiss him.

“How will you explain this to the CIA?” She had asked softly.

“That no one can ever hold Irina Derevko for long,” he smiled at her.

Irina kissed him and she felt his warmth as he held her lips to his. She had stepped back, her heart racing as she remembered their years together. It was almost worth going to prison, if she would be able to see him and the girls…still she would not be able to touch or feel him. Doors, windows, or wire would separate them and that she could not stand. To see him and not have him completely was not Irina’s way.

She jerked awake. It was late afternoon. She had slept for five or six hours. Boye, she thought, I’m f*ucking hungry.

Pushing herself up slowly, she looked around cautiously. There were no sounds other than the songs of birds in the trees. A slight rustling told her there was a breeze blowing through the forest. She slung the automatic rifle over her shoulder and stuffed the Glock 9 into her waistband.

Irina moved swiftly up the road away from Sovogda. She wanted several miles put between her and those military idiots. IF any of them caught her walking away from the doomed city, they would think she was one of them. They’d kill her without asking any questions.

The team had not brought any food with them and it wasn’t safe to either drink or eat anything from the city. All she had was her flask of water. Irina plodded on at a good pace, hoping she would find someone or some place with food.

As she walked, her thoughts turned to the events of the past three days. Everything started with Sydney’s death or supposed death and snowballed from there. That had been very nearly the worst moment of her life…the death of her first born, Sydney, her lovely beautiful daughter.

“Irina, I need to see you.” It was Jack. “It’s important.”

“Why?” She responded, a little wary. Communicating with Jack was suspect in her mind. She had betrayed him again in Panama after they’d spent the night together. Her endgame was not as he supposed or what anyone thought. It had been what drove her to do some of things she did…terrible things in conjunction with Sloane.

She came close to shooting Sydney in Tuscany, but, instead, took a bullet from Sydney in the arm. Still Emily’s death tore her up the most. Emily, sweet Emily, the nicest woman she had ever met in her life as Laura Bristow. When the KGB instructed her to have an affair with Sloane, she balked, or at least made excuses. Then, the week Jack was gone; it was Sloane, who approached her. Sydney was nearing her sixth birthday, when he told her he was interested in having sex with her as the price for not telling Jack or the CIA she was a spy…

Irina stopped, bent down, and picked up a stone. She hurled it at the nearest tree.

Three times that week, he’d wanted sex. Three times, she had given herself to him, once while Sydney was asleep in her bedroom, which angered her. Each time, she wanted to kill him. He left her unsatisfied, but that was fine with her. Only Jack gave her what she wanted and needed.

She thought Sloane wanted something more. He was always talking about a child, but Emily couldn’t give him one…some sort of female problem. Irina was not about to deliver on that wish. She took her pills religiously.

Then she had an idea and hoped it would work. When Jack came back, she would go off the pill. If she got pregnant, she knew Sloane would believe it was his and she’d just let him think that. However, she also would tell him she would not sleep with him anymore or she’d abort. He would believe her and leave her alone. Then she had to leave Jack and Sydney. She hadn’t even thought she was pregnant. However, it played out differently and Nadia was born.

Then, Emily’s death was the final straw. That had been a turning point in her mind. Somehow she realised the terrible price other people she loved and cared about were paying to support the quest that she and Sloane were on and knew it was not worth it.

She decided to double cross Sloane somewhere down the line when she could contact Sydney again. That day at the ice rink, when she told her daughter what her endgame had been, took everything she could muster to tell her the truth, at least a portion of it. She loved Sydney and she wanted her to believe her. Still she hit her daughter…hard enough to stun Sydney so she could escape. She was crying when she ran to the car a colleague was driving. He’d wanted to know what was wrong, but she just shook her head, unable to tell him anything.

Everything started to pull together when Sloane captured Jack and she told Sydney where to find him. She was in the building when the CIA strike force arrived to capture Sloane and find Jack Bristow. She had everything set up on the roof, just in case. She was right, because Sydney came after her and Vaughn went after Sloane. The roof was the last time she had seen Sydney for almost three years.

What was it she’d told her? “You are the Chosen One, not I.” There had been confusion on Sydney’s face as Irina said, “Good luck, Sweetheart, I love you,” and dropped off the rooftop. She thought she heard Sydney screaming.

Irina came to the top of long incline and stopped. She was tired. She looked around. In the distance, perhaps a mile, she saw a cabin and a small barn. People, food, and maybe a telephone, she thought. There was always the possibility that Katya was in Moscow. She might be able to get in touch through contacts and or friends.

She picked up her pace a little and in fifteen minutes, walked onto the dirt road leading to the house. Glancing about she saw tire tracks. The military had passed by here. She pulled the Glock from her waistband. She was not going to knock until she scouted the area outside the cabin. It was getting dark again and she wanted to be out of sight.

Irina turned the corner of the house and stopped. A man lay flat on his back, several bullet holes in him. He was already beginning to stink.

“S*hit!” she said aloud.

Opening the old door leading to the inside, Irina had her Glock 9 in her right hand, ready for anything. She suspected she might find more bodies inside than not. She was not disappointed. A woman, she took to be the man’s wife, was lying crumpled in the kitchen. She too, was shot—just once—in the head.

Irina did not want to stay in there. She looked around and found raw beets, carrots, and, what looked to be, cheese. There was no bread, but then she was not surprised. She wondered why they were killed. Surely, they were far enough away from Sovogda not to be caught by the poisoned water. She glanced out the window and noticed a water pump. There was a fresh-water well on the property.

Irina gathered up the meager food and hurried outside. After filling her flask with fresh water, she went to the barn and found a spot out of sight where she could eat. It was dark before she lay back on the wooden floor. She found a spot with a small broken board, which allowed her to see the spot where the farmer was. The automatic rifle was by her side on the left and the Glock in her right hand.

“Can’t you tell me now,” she asked Jack when he contacted her.

“No, I have to see you.”

“No tricks,” she still was hesitant.

“None. Irina, this is about Sydney and I want to see you.”

She arranged to see him in Vienna at a small hotel, which had a good café in it. She had used it many times in the past, although she had not been there for two years. Jack told her he was leaving immediately on the first plane he could get and would be there tomorrow.

Irina closed the computer, staring at it with a terrible feeling that something was very wrong. It was a big risk for both of them to be seen together. She wasn’t at all sure if Jack was being truthful. Still she was in hiding from Sloane who had not taken her double-cross well. She had once been his paramour and now a co-conspirator in the hunt for the Rambaldi artifacts. What was going on? She made a phone call and got a reservation to Vienna.

She entered the room Jack reserved. His small overnight bag was on the bed. She glanced at her watch. Lunchtime. He was probably downstairs. She decided to wait here rather than see him there. In the distance, she heard the elevator doors down the hall. Irina walked into the small bathroom and waited. She heard the key in the door. He was back. She stepped out to face him.

“Jack!”

Irina woke with a start. She flipped off the safety on the Glock and tightened her hand over the rifle. She turned to look out the small peephole at the yard. Something was out there. Silently she stood up, careful not to make any sound. Scavengers, she thought. Were they from Sovogda? Were they tainted with the water and the device? She stuffed the Glock in her waistband and stepped closer to the door to get a better view.

Three figures were edging toward the door of the tiny farmhouse. Looters, she thought. They were probably soldiers who had been among the military here earlier. She was tempted to shoot them, but her instinct for survival said not to bother. There could be others close by. It would be wise to stay silent.

She did nothing, watching them enter the house. As soon as they did, she moved swiftly out of the barn’s rear entrance, heading for the forest. She did not want to be seen, nor did she want to involve herself with what might be a dangerous encounter. She was not up to her full strength. It had been months since she’d been free to move about on her own without guards or Yelena around.

She circled around until she came to the road again. She stayed in the forest, but hiked parallel to the road in order to stay on course. Irina had the rifle slung around her shoulders, keeping her hands on the stock and barrel. She was still tired, but wanted to put ground between her and the looters.

She had gone about two miles she figured when her legs began to ache and her heart pounded. The torture her sister put her through had been rough and she needed to rest again. Casting about she finally saw a tree with heavy brush around it. It afforded her a view of the road and she could see in both directions if trouble came.

This time there was room to curl up. She made herself as comfortable as possible and fell asleep.

“Jack!”

“Irina!” He was carrying his briefcase. He put it on the bed and turned toward her.

She was standing in the bathroom’s doorway, tall, elegantly dressed in a black traveling suit with a red blouse. Her hair was hanging down below her shoulders. She took a step toward him.

“How are…” She stopped. He looked terrible. His eyes were sunken and there were black circles around them. His hair was whiter than she remembered. He’d lost enough weight that his clothes didn’t fit him properly. “You look awful.”

He didn’t disagree. “Irina, there’s no other way to tell you except in person.” He closed the distance between them. “Sydney is dead, but…”

For a minute she thought she was going to faint; instead she gave a dreadful crying scream. Irina stared at Jack in horror. She could only think Sydney was killed doing her job…a job Irina had tried to have her give up.

“Irina,” Jack pulled her into his arms, holding her head against his shoulder as she wept.

She felt comfort being there and yet…she pulled away. “You idiot, you trained her to be a spy. Jack, if I had my knife I think I might kill you.” She glared at him with such anger, as he’d never seen even when they were married.

“Irina, listen to me. I don’t think she’s really dead. I think everyone was to believe she was dead.”

She blinked. “What are you talking about?”

“I contacted you because I need you to work with me. I—I feel she is alive…not dead.”

She stared at him and saw he was being truthful. “Alright, what information do you have?”

They spent the afternoon going over the files he had brought with him. He had made her a copy of everything. She promised she would keep them safe. They had gone to dinner in the café downstairs and returned to his room by ten.

They stood talking setting up the parameters of the next meeting and the method by which they would connect. Suddenly, without warning, Jack stopped talking and looked at her. A moment later, he had her in his embrace kissing her hard, passionately. She was stunned, but was quick to respond. She wanted him desperately. Panama had taught her one thing; no matter how many lovers she’d had, Jack was at the top of the list and if she could, she would be his wife again in a heartbeat.

They stood as Jack kissed her hard, exploring her mouth with his tongue, teasingly. He moved to her neck, beneath her ear and under her jaw. Irina could feel the heat building inside her as his hands moved down to cup one of her breasts, kneading and caressing it and then playing with her nipple, which hardened. She moaned.

“Take off my clothes, darling,” she breathed in his ear.

He stripped her as he always had when they were married. First, her jacket, then the red blouse and all the while, he made his hands commit magic all over her body. The bra fell to the floor and his mouth was instantly busy with nipples and breasts. He heard her moan. Her hands reached for him, removing the coat. He unzipped her skirt and it dropped at her feet, leaving her standing with a garter belt, hose, and a pair of red bikini panties.

“Irina,” he whispered.

She felt wonderful. Laura was gone and he had admitted Irina Derevko into his life. “Jack, sweetheart, please hurry…”

He pulled down her belt, hose, and panties together and she stepped out of their constraints, leaving herself naked. He pulled her into his arms. She could feel his erection straining against his pants. She reached for him with one hand, while working at the buttons of his shirt. He pulled her hand away and pulled the shirt over his head and onto the floor.

Irina fell back onto the bed. He slid in beside her pulling her to him. She lifted her left leg up over his right hip and he thrust himself deep into the welcoming chasm. He grunted with exertion as she held him with her leg. She gasped, whimpered, and moaned with growing need.

“Jack, I…” she groaned as they pounded the headboard with each thrust. Irina could feel the orgasm growing inside taking her into a realm of intense pleasure. She kept going higher and higher until with another thrust, he took her over the edge. He managed to thrust repeatedly as she cried out again and again.

“Boye, boye, God, God!” He pitched her over the edge again, but this time he filled her with his fluid.

Irina shot out of her sleep with a whimper of a love lost. She heard something—someone close by, coming her way. There were voices from out on the road. She heard something else, the sound of a motor chugging, a car, or some vehicle to take her to further safety, maybe even to Moscow.

“I got to take a pee.” She heard a drunken and rough voice from almost next to her.

Irina’s hand tightened on the automatic. With her thumb, she pushed off the safety. She stood up. The man, who was not more than two feet away emptying his bladder, gasped in complete shock. He blinked. Irina gave him the butt end of the rifle, smashing his skull. He fell like a tree to the ground without uttering a sound.

Irina moved quickly through the brush. She saw the lighted ends of two cigarettes. The man’s companions were smoking. They were leaning up against some sort of truck that looked as if it had been put together with bailing wire and tape. As she moved closer, she recognized one of the men. They were the three at the farmhouse. Looters. She pulled the trigger as she came close, cutting both down without warning.

The truck was loaded with the few meager belongings of the couple, who had been killed. She did not want to be caught with stolen goods…looted at that…it would mean death. She pulled everything from the truck bed and piled it by the two dead bodies. Using their blood, she wrote ‘looter’ across each one’s forehead. She checked but neither was carrying a weapon, but they had money; so taking the money she jumped into the truck and pulled away, heading for Moscow.

PART 2 – The Road Trip

The truck did not go fast and it sputtered occasionally, giving Irina a scare as she pushed on through the early morning. She had to get herself and the truck out of the roads leading to Sovogda. She knew that when the military finished what it had to do, it would probably return by the same road. She was also aware she was not dressed like any farmer’s wife. One look by any security guard or soldier would tell them she was not used to baking apple pies. She had to find some place to hide and new clothes to go with the old truck.

Irina also knew that there was a roadblock, which sealed Sovogda off from the rest of Russia. She saw no cars or trucks of any kind as she traveled in a northwest direction. That meant she must find some place soon. She doubted she would be able to get through any roadblock without papers and papers she did not have. If she were lucky, maybe she would find a house with a telephone.

When the car made it to the top of an incline, she put on the brake. Crouching, she moved up to a point where she could see the land below her. A small village laid spread out in the distance, but what was more disturbing she thought she saw army-sized trucks on the road. Roadblock. Irina had to find cover until night.

Pulling the old wheezing truck into the brush, she cut enough to hide it from any plane flying overhead and enough to hide whatever someone might see from the road. When she was satisfied, Irina walked to a small clump of trees about three hundred yards distant. She did not think she would need the truck again. Still she was wary enough to separate herself from the hidden vehicle just in case. Her years as The Man, head of a mafia-like organization she ran, had taught her many lessons in the art of survival.

Irina sat cross-legged on a smoothed out area, hidden by brush. She could barely see the roadblock near the village and knew that there was the possibility it would be gone in another day. She could afford to be patient. She pulled the last carrot from her jacket and ate. Beets and cheese were gone and the water was close to it. She had less while under the care of Yelena. She had only a small meal at the CIA because she just was unable to eat all they gave her. Her stomach rebelled and she stopped, causing Jack to lift his eyebrows. Irina had always had a good appetite. She grunted, finishing the water.

She sat watching the village in the distance, but not seeing it. Irina remembered that day Yelena appeared with three of her followers. It was a month after Irina destroyed Rambaldi’s Il Deluvio. It was three months after she cut off communication with Jack. He wanted to know about ‘the passenger’ and she couldn’t talk to him about it—about their daughter, because she didn’t know where Nadia was. She knew he was skeptical about the prophecy, but as long as Sydney was with Jack, she felt she would be safe. Now Yelena had found her and Irina knew she was after Il Deluvio.

”Yelena!” Irina was shocked to see her older sister standing in front of her door. “How did you…” Irina was in hiding from Sloane and anyone who might be looking for her.

“Easy,” said Yelena smiling. “Your contacts are willing to talk and one led me to another and now here I am.”

“What do you want?”

“Il Deluvio!”

Irina’s eyes narrowed. This was, as she guessed no family get together. “I don’t have it.”

“Really?” Yelena’s eyes glittered. “Where is it?”

“I burned it.” Irina clenched her fists; then she unclenched them as they stared at each other.

“I don’t believe you.” Yelena made a small motion with her right hand. Two men, standing on either side of the doorway, jumped in and held Irina before she could do anything. “Where is the book?”

“I destroyed it.”

Yelena struck Irina hard. Irina struggled to get free. “I’ll kill you,” she screamed.

“You’ll be dead first, Sister,” and she hit Irina again. “You will tell me everything. I know you read it and you do have a good memory.”

“Hoy na ny,” said Irina.

“Bring her...” Yelena turned and walked out. “…and be careful. Don’t take any chances.”

Irina Derevko disappeared.

Irina stood to stretch her limbs. Boye, she missed running. That was something she would start as soon as she got to her apartment in Moscow. She looked toward the village, but nothing changed. The trucks remained in place blocking the road to Sovogda. She sighed and sat down; remembering the past eighteen months took her mind off her hunger at least for the present.

They put her in a hole that possibly measured four by four. She could lie down, but only with her legs drawn up. There were no amenities…no water, no toilet, nothing but the four by four walls. They kept her wrists chained. She could not stand. She slept fitfully and lost track of time. Irina used her ability with auto circadian meditation to ward off the pain and discomfort of her imprisonment.

Irina lived in her tiny dark prison for a month. She received a bottle of water a day and one plate of food. It was barely enough to keep her alive, but just enough. She lost weight, she knew, but how much…there was no way to tell. She lived in her own filth. There were no showers or washbasins and no toilet paper. She stank worse than a pig farm. Her sister treated Irina less than she would an animal.

Yelena wanted to know exactly what Rambaldi had said in Il Deluvial and Irina steadfastly refused to tell her. The consequences were catastrophic if she did and now she did not want to be involved with Rambaldi, his predictions, or any of his inventions. She knew Il Deluvial would mean the end of the world and she would not give Yelena that information.

They came for her one night. They dragged her to an empty cement floor and walled room, her clothes stripped from her. Irina said nothing, waiting, guessing what was next. The water from a fire hose struck her, knocking her back to the wall. She turned her back as the heavy stream hit her body from head to toe. She slowly dropped to the floor. She held her head, turning it away from the heavy stream. It stopped. She stayed where she was…she was not moving.

Hands reached down for her and they shoved her, naked, to another room with a rudimentary shower. Hot water cascaded over her and they gave her a bar of soap. Her legs were shaking as she applied suds over every spot she could reach. Irina leaned against the stall to steady herself. Those days and nights in a four by four cell seriously impeded her muscle strength. She could barely walk.

Two men pulled her out of the shower, toweled her off, and put a hospital gown on her. Irina had no idea what was coming next, but if she knew her sister, it was not going to be pleasant. She knew she would have to be mentally strong to withstand the punishment they would put her through soon.

They pushed her into something that reminded Irina of a dentist’s chair. They strapped her feet down. Running another strap across her hips and a third one just under her breasts and crossing both arms, they finished by handcuffing her wrists. They left. Irina couldn’t move anything but her head. She waited and waited. She could feel her heart race, but she used meditation to quiet it down. At least, in the seated position, she could make use of her abilities.

Finally, the door opened and Yelena, followed by another man, entered. She stood looking at Irina. “You look better than you did a few hours ago, sister.”

“Suka sranaya,” Irina swore defiantly.

“We’ll see how you feel this evening.” Yelena motioned the man to go to Irina’s side. He held a syringe in his hand. “Now this is where we really find out how strong you are. I know you went through some hard training as a KGB agent, but I doubt they ever tried this.”

“I’m not telling you anything.” Irina snarled.

“Maybe…” She nodded to the man who turned and plunged the syringe into Irina’s arm.

For a few seconds, Irina felt nothing. Then pain, waves of pain streaked from her feet to her head. The pain was excruciating. It rippled through her body, time after time after time until she felt sweat running off her face. Her heart rate rose with every wave of pain. It was so loud, she thought it pound through her chest. She fainted.

She woke up in a bed and thought her body was still shaking. Irina knew her heart was racing. Not good. She closed her eyes, wondering if she could sleep. They shackled her ankles and her wrists to the bed frame so she could not move. A man entered the room with a stethoscope and blood pressure cuff. He quickly checked her heart and then the blood pressure. Irina gave him a lesson in Russian swearing, which didn’t faze him a bit. He smiled at her and left.

She didn’t care; it made her feel good to swear. She hadn’t lost it yet. She looked at the restraints. They were solid; she would not escape from them. Irina closed her eyes, calming herself, and wondered when Yelena would come back.

Irina stood. It was sunset. To her right yellow waves of color waffled across the landscape. She looked down at the village. The people were eating dinner no doubt. She imagined what dinner would be: borscht, cold, or even hot, homemade dark bread with butter; maybe carrots, they were her favorite, and meat of some kind. She felt a pain in her stomach, reminding her it had not eaten much the past five days.

She saw no trucks! They were gone! The military completed its mission. There were no living humans left in the city of Sovogda. She slung the automatic across her shoulders and put the Glock in the waistband close to her right hand. The knife she had removed from the farmhouse rested in the inner pocket of the jacket. She figured she had a little more than a mile to the village and it would be dark soon. Irina hoped she would find food without trouble. She also needed a phone, if there were such a thing in the village.

She stood on the outskirts of the tiny village. There were six maybe seven buildings clustered together for protection. They probably were farmers who at one time worked on a commune, but now farmed their small patches of land to eke out a sale of whatever it was they grew. From the looks of the dwellings, there was no doubt it was meager.

Irina pulled her Glock as she approached the first house. She smelled something…some thing familiar. “Deirgmo!” She swore. She ran to the few steps leading to the door. She could see it was closed. She turned, walking to the next house.

It was the same. The smell. The military had cleansed the land at the crossroad also. They were afraid the peasants were infected or might be infected. She figured that they had slaughtered the villagers after relieving them of any food they had stored. Glancing about she saw no farm animals either and a quick glance in the commune barn told her they had probably gone with the military to be used as food. She stood thinking. She knew that the water had to be untainted and good. She would fill her flask and return to the old truck. She needed to find gasoline. There was no gas gauge to tell her how much was in the tank.

Irina drove the truck on the back roads. She didn’t want to risk being seen too close to the area of Sogovda…or the little village. She decided that she needed another night of no human contact. She was hungry, but still had water. It was dusk and she parked the truck again out of sight of the road. Ahead of her was a farmhouse about a half a kilometer away.

It was dark when she approached the building. The farmhouse was dark also. She went to the back door and gently pulled it open with her left hand. The other held the Glock. Mercifully, the door did not squeak. She stood in the kitchen and smelled something that made her stomach ache…chicken.

An hour later, Irina, back in the truck, finished half of the partially eaten chicken she found. For some reason, she was unable to figure why; she left some money she took from the looters to pay for it. That was not her usual thing—she usually took what she wanted. Feeling somewhat better, she decided to grab a couple of hours of sleep. She still was debilitated from her weeks of captivity. Curling up on the seat, she wondered how Jack was explaining her departure.

She smiled.

RUSSIAN TRANSLATIONS:
Deirgmo – s*hit
Hooy na ny – No f*ucking way
Boye – God
Suka sranaya – F*ucking b*itch

Part 3- Pain

Irina screamed at her sister and the doctor. The pain was so bad she thought the top of her head would explode. Every nerve in her body was on fire and increasing pain made her want to curl up into a ball and die. Instead, she was strapped into the chair and could do nothing but scream until she lost consciousness.

Once more, she felt herself swimming in mists that were cold, clammy, and decidedly unpleasant. She opened her eyes. She was standing on a ridge she thought. She was hot, very hot. The landscape was odd, but familiar. Where was she? There was a small building below her. Khasinau was waving to her from behind the building. Khasinau! She was in Africa. She had come to steal the diamonds that The Alliance was after.

She shifted the rifle she had to her shoulder, waiting. She watched a car pull up. A man got out. There were two guards on the small porch. The man from the car said something to them and then went inside. She saw Khasinau wave again. Irina pulled the trigger twice and the two guards on the porch were dead. Khasinau ran to the door and disappeared inside. Irina ran down the slope and into the building. Two men inside were dead. She didn’t even have to check them. Khasinau was going through the briefcase of Morris Carson, the Alliances go-between. Irina grabbed the satchel from the desk that held the diamonds.

“You must get those diamonds at all costs,” said her government contact. “The money we can get for them will be astronomical.”

At all costs…four men dead. Irina saw them march repeatedly toward her from darkness. She whimpered. They were dead…they were all dead, she told herself.

She forced her eyes open staring into the dark eyes of Yelena.

“Bad dreams, Irina?”

“Hooy tebe v zhopul!” gasped Irina. She was tied down in the bed again. They brought her back from the nightmare.

“Yes, yes,” grinned Yelena. “Tell me what I want to know.”

“Nyet…”

Yelena shook her head. “I’ve learned patience Irina. I can wait longer than you can hold out. You’ll tell me.”

“Hooy na ny!”

“Oh and one other thing—your husband just murdered you. It seems you put out a contract on your daughter’s life and he couldn’t stand your evil ways any longer. He killed you in Vienna.

Irina fainted.

Meanwhile in the present

Jack stood in front of Director Chase. She had her eyes fixed on the older man’s face, which was calm and pleasant looking. Jack Bristow was a legend in the CIA. He had spent his entire life working for his country, even after the government had incarcerated him twice for rogue activities, both involved his wife, Irina Derevko.

Chase did not drop her gaze, saying, “You let her go?” She was also furious, although she did not let it show.

“Yes, it was the right thing to do.” He answered quietly. “She was the only one who made the determination that Yelena was lying. Sydney was the instrument who destroyed the Muller device, but Irina Derevko knew her sister was determined to see that Rambaldi’s prediction came true. She knew even the threat of being turned into an ‘animal’ as the citizens of Sogovda were would not stop her from lying.

“It was not your job…to make the decision to let her go. You were told to bring her back. Others would decide…”

Jack sighed, “My wife would…”

“Wife?” Chase’s eyes widened. “I thought…”

“I don’t know why everyone assumed we were divorced…”

There was silence as Chase digested his words. She looked at him thoughtfully. “Tell me, when she betrayed you in Panama…”

“I knew she was going to do it. I planted the tracker on her hoping beyond hope she wouldn’t, but…” He shrugged and smiled.

“She did!”

“Afterward I thought about the obsession she and Sloane had. I knew I might never get my wife back, but thought she might come to her senses someday. The trouble is that neither I nor anyone else knew she was playing for higher stakes—to find her sister and her daughter, Nadia.”

“Jack, I believe that is only your assessment. Remember your wife killed twelve agents of the CIA. She is under indictment for that and the espionage. Higher authorities than you or I want her.”

“Yes, well, she was doing her job,” he said sadly. “I’ve come to realize that she was following orders, just as Sydney and I do for the CIA.

“I’ve been thinking about resigning, so I’ll make your job easier. Sydney is going to marry Michael Vaughn and, I hope, will leave this organization to be a homemaker. It wouldn’t surprise me if Vaughn will also leave. I believe he is still credentialed as a French teacher.” He saw dismay in Chase’s face.

“I can’t be sure about it, but I do know it was her mother’s wish for Sydney to have children and live a normal life. Now, I do too!” He pulled a folded piece of paper from his pocket and handed it to her. “Here’s my resignation.” He turned and left the room.

Irina awakened with a start. It was dark and time to get going. She had to find a phone and out in the rural lands between Sovogda and Moscow, they were rare. She wasn’t sure what she was going to do when she found one, but she would figure it out before then.

It was about dawn when the old truck wheezed its last on a rural road. Now what? She had her automatic rifle, the Glock with 14 shots left, and her knife. She was not going to get far carrying the rifle. It would stand out like a sore thumb. Irina figured the truck had carried her over two hundred kilometers from its owner’s farm. It had not been fast, but it was steady. She was sure she was far enough away from the small village and the road to Sovogda that no one would be paying attention to her as someone who escaped the doomed city. The military had been dust down the road and citizens here in the rural Russia were back to living their dull lives.

She hid the automatic after unloading it. If she got lucky and found a phone, she could get someone to bring her back. Of course, there was the possibility that wouldn’t happen right this minute. She just had to take the chance no one would find it.

An hour and three kilometers down the road, she saw a farmhouse with smoke rising from the chimney and two cars in front of the home. Prosperous farmer, she thought. It was still very early in the morning and there was the possibility all were in the house having breakfast before heading out into the fields. She entered the barn from the rear and climbed up to the hayloft. She wanted the men of the farm gone.

She slept and she dreamed.

Yelena sent her back to the pit for a week and then had her brought to the hospital room. This time there was no shower, no soap. Irina smelled. They stripped her, put her into a gown again and strapped her down as before. She waited two hours then a man came in with a bottle of water. He uncapped it and fed it to her like a baby, laughing at her repeated attempts to make sure not a drop escaped her mouth.

Finally, the door opened and the man with the syringe entered. Irina cringed, shaking her head trying to get out of the restraints. However, she was strapped down tightly. Yelena entered finally to face Irina.

“You have been a week in the pit. You stink, sister. What is it like to wallow in your own s***? Want out. Tell me what I want to know.”

Irina shook her head. “Go to hell,” she whispered.

“No, I think that’s where you go every time we inject you.” Yelena observed the tiniest bit of fear that crossed Irina’s face. “Ummm, yes…so we can keep this up or …”

Irina said nothing. Yelena nodded and the doctor administered the injection again. Irina shook as it began to take effect. Waves of pain that she remembered only too well had taken hold of her body once more. She battled to free herself of the restraints. She screamed and fainted.

“What’s her heart rate?”

“None, She’s in cardiac arrest.”

“Bring her out now. I want to put her through this as fast as possible. When will she be ready for another injection?”

“It will depend on how her heart responds. Forty-eight hours, I think.”

Every two days without stopping, Irina endured searing pain and every time before she came out of it, she had nightmares of her killings. The latest was a series of men and women she was ordered to kill while married to Jack. She even killed one while carrying Sydney. The horror of it made her demand they give her time to deliver her child. Now those men and women were marching past her as she dreamed.

Gasping she forced herself awake. She was crying.

Yelena was watching, smirking. “Another nightmare about your past, sister? You can tell me what I want to know and they will stop.”

Irina shook her head.

They took her to the room four times that week. Irina began to lose track of time. She really wanted to die, but Yelena would have none of it. “No, Irina, I want you to live.”

It took another week. Four more times they took her into the room with the chair. Irina’s screamed herself hoarse, but Yelena was implacable. The doctor warned her that Irina was close to dying simply because her heart was been overworked and the stress on it reviving Irina might cause it to stop entirely.

She didn’t need to worry. Irina broke down when she came out of the last injection. She was weak, hungry, and shaking so badly the bed rattled. She said she would cooperate. Yelena’s men came and took her to the showers. She was washed thoroughly, top to bottom. She was fed small amounts of good food and given plenty of water.

They brought Irina, dressed in clean clothes, but shackled, to Yelena. They put her down in a chair facing her.

“I want everything you read in Il Deluvio,” said Yelena. She had a syringe lying on the desk in front of her. “Hesitating will only mean another bout with your devils.”

Irina began.

Meanwhile in the present

Jack sat in his apartment watching television. It was only a week since Irina and Sydney had ended what would have been an apocalypse. Sloane was in prison, even though Jack and Sydney felt he’d been trying to help…to save Nadia and Sydney. Was he good? Jack doubted that even though he’d helped, the government was not going to like being made a fool of again. The fact he’d used his position as the head of Omifan to taint water supplies all over the world was going to wipe out any points he’d made helping the team bring down Yelena and her plans to ‘cleanse’ the world as Rambaldi wanted.

He thought about the meeting at APO with Irina. He was curious about her reaction when he’d told her she would enjoy getting to know Nadia—that the girl was exceptional.

“I wonder who she gets that from,” Irina said with a smile.

“What the devil made her say that,” he’d thought. However, the mission was designed and five people including both Nadia and Sydney dropped into the besieged city. Now it came back to him…the words. “I wonder what she meant by it?”

Jack stood and went to his phone on the counter. He called the APO infirmary where Nadia, under restraints, was being held and treated. Her aunt had injected her with tainted water and turned her into what the Sovogdans had become…a fierce attacking animal. Sloane shot her and she dropped the chain she wrapped around Sydney’s throat. Sydney completed the mission with Irina’s help.

“Get me Dr. Martin Gouday,” said Jack. He waited. “Doctor, would you do me a favor? I want you to compare Nadia Santos DNA with mine. What? No, I’m curious about something her mother told me before we left. Call me back.” He gave him the number and returned to his seat. Damn that woman, he thought. There was a tightness in his belly and his heart rate was rising. Then he had a strange thought—he wondered what it would be to be truly married again to her, having her by his side, sleeping with her every night, instead of those tenuous meetings that came by chance or by design…he thought about Panama and Vienna with a smile on his face.

Irina awakened and scrambled to the front of the barn. Glancing at her watch, she saw that it was past eight. The farmer and anyone else working for him were out in the fields. That meant the woman was in the house alone. She climbed down the ladder and brushed herself off. She didn’t want to scare the woman or women.

She climbed the four steps up to the back door.

Dimitri Lutinsky was having coffee in his tiny kitchen when he received a phone call. “Da?”

“Dimitri, it’s Irina. I need you.”

“Ahueyet,” he swore, “I thought you were dead. What happened to you?”

Briefly, she filled him in about Yelena. She didn’t say anything about Sovogda and what happened there. Rivalry between sisters was understandable. She told him Yelena was dead though and she would have no more trouble from her. She told him where she was.

“Can you pick me up?” She asked.

“Yes…probably in two to three hours.”

“Very well, I’ll be expecting you. Tell me how many of The Man’s organization are around?”

“Quite a few, but they’ve scattered into other organizations.”

“Will they rejoin me?”

“The Man? Of course, they will!”

At the other end of the conversation, Irina smiled. It would not be long before The Man returned to business.

RUSSIAN TRANSLATIONS
Hooy n any – No f*ucking way
Hooy tebe v zhopul – Prick up your ass
Nyet – No
Ahueyet – What the f*uck

am I the only one who reads this fiction??? well well I so like it.....and the last update...greaat :D

yea good :D btw my mom saw Lena shopping food just some minutes ago down in Skåne(South of Sweden)...no I am not jelous ^_^

lenafan said:
Yeh, well I am!  (n)  Oh well, I knew she always went home to Sweden in the summer. Hope the weather's nice.

:cool:
[post="1410873"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

yea me too..my mom is very lucky.....she saw her last year too.... :confused: and yea we have very nice weather ;)

Part 4 - The Meeting

Irina savored the sights of Moscow. It had been too long since she’d been here. Held captive by Yelena for so long that she guessed her apartment was in somewhat of a mess. She could only hope her friend Grigor, a former prison guard, and now her bodyguard, had worried enough about her absence to check the apartment. She would have to call him.

“Do you have your cell?” She asked Dimitri.

“Yes,” and he fished in his pocket, handing one to her. “Who are you calling?”

“Grigor.”

Minutes later, she finished the call and gave the cell back to Dimitri. They were heading toward the center of the city and the traffic was much heavier. In the distance, Irina could see St. Basil’s Cathedral and the Kremlin. Her apartment was close to the area. She closed her eyes. She was still tired from an ordeal that began over eighteen months ago and was now culminating back at her apartment. She was planning on a long hot shower, followed by hours of uninterrupted sleep.

They arrived. Irina leaned toward Dimitri and kissed him on the cheek. “Spasiba,” she said. “I’ll be in touch in a couple of days.” She stepped out of the car and watched as he drove off. She turned and started up the steps to the building.

Behind her, there was a sudden screech of brakes and doors opening. Irina whirled to see three men jump out of a large black Mercedes. They came toward her.

“Sic sukam sim,” she thought. “Now what?”

“Irina Derevko?” One man asked.

“Yes, but…”

“He wants to see you now,” said the same man.

Irina sighed, knowing who “he” was. Without further complaint, she went down the steps toward the car. Obviously, Dominic had put the word out that Irina Derevko was back. He found out from his many sources.

“A moment,” said the first man. He pulled a pair of cuffs from his coat pocket. He cuffed her wrists. “Anyone watching cannot know this is anything but an arrest.”

Irina’s wrists shook as her nightmare was coming alive again. She gripped both hands together in order to stop the shaking. She stepped into the car; the two silent men took the seat beside her and their leader sat beside the driver. She closed her eyes knowing the two men were watching her and had noticed her hands. They had no idea…

“You are being transferred.” Yelena said, “I am going to be busy for the next two weeks. We will have time to talk later and we are going to have a nice long talk.” She seemed to have something in mind for her.

“Go to hell,” Irina rasped in a weak voice, but still defiant.

Her sister laughed. “Maybe that’s where you are going, Irina, to hell in a jungle and where you won’t be harmed by what’s to come. You will be among the lucky ones.”

“Why?” Irina was puzzled.

“Because we’re family. When you die, it will be by my hand and no other outside force. I want you to live to see how Rambaldi’s prediction and invention made a difference.”

“You’re f*ucking insane,” cried Irina.

She was shackled and dragged from the headquarters in Prague, where Yelena held her captive. She had no idea how long that had been. They pushed her into a van. The van left Prague, heading for an airport, and shortly after they drove up to the private plane hanger, she’d been tied down to a seat inside a waiting plane.

The trip was long and she dozed much of the time. The plane stopped once for fuel on an island, which she guessed as the Azores, then once again on land, but the blinds to the windows were drawn. They put a bag over her head and hustled her off the plane. It was humid and hot. The ride was long and somewhat arduous. She was bounced around multiple times.

They arrived at night. She was dragged off the vehicle. Still with the bag on her head, the cuffs were removed. She was hustled through thick underbrush. Strange sounds penetrated the hood. She had to be somewhere in the jungle of some country in the tropics.

The group stopped. The hood was removed. Irina had a chance to look around. Where was she?

“In there,” said the man next to her. He pointed down.

It was a hole, maybe four feet wide. A small bench was in the hole, presumably for her to sit on. She started to shake. “But—but I told her everything…why do I…”

“Stop talking,” said the man. He took a roll of some kind of duct tape and wrapped around her wrists. “Get down or you’ll get this…” He brandished a syringe in front of her.

Terrified, Irina did as she was told. There was a bang. The sound of a lock being snapped. She was in the dark once more.

The car pulled into an underground garage. Still handcuffed, Irina left the car following the leader into an elevator. As it went up to the tenth floor, he took the cuffs off. He noticed that she was shaking. He wondered what had happened to her. Irina Derevko was well known as the toughest crime boss in Russia. Her history as a KGB agent and illegal was legendary. He said nothing as the door opened.

“He’s waiting in there,” he said, pointing to the door. “It is a secret door, so push that button. It’s a light under his desk. He’ll let you inside.” He turned and left.

Irina pushed the button.

She remembered when she saw him first over twenty years ago when she entered the KGB school in Central Russia. He was in her class, but was mustered out because of his inability to make bombs or use firearms efficiently. However, they became friends while he was there and vowed to see one another again, once she either passed or flunked. Irina didn’t intend to flunk and living as Laura Cain in the city was assigned almost immediately to her role in the U.S.

They did meet, however, when the KGB fell apart in 1991, and Russia became just that and not the USSR. They met by accident in Moscow where he’d been politically involved. She had her organization in place outside the country and was only in town to visit Katya, who was with the SVR by now. Irina, of course, told him nothing of her organization. She let him talk and talk about politics and government and democracy.

“Valentin,” she finally said, interrupting him for the first time. “How would you like to come to my hotel tonight? We can have dinner. I must see my sister and she is waiting.”

He agreed. After dinner, during which much vodka flowed, he said that he’d always wondered what happened to her. She told him briefly about the ten years she’d spent in the U.S., spying for the motherland and about the assassinations. She told him little about Kashmir. They had sat together on the small sofa and he held her hand as she spoke. There were tears in her eyes as she confessed she missed her daughter who had been six years old when she was pulled out.

‘Irushka, I am sorry.” He kissed her forehead and before either realized it, they were kissing each other.

“I need you,” said Irina. She began pulling off her clothes, her eyes steady on his. She could see the surprise in his eyes, but then she was a beautiful woman and desirable.

Irina slid between the covers on the bed. He joined her moments later. Their lovemaking had been fast. He was not Jack. He ejaculated before she was ready. She gripped him with her legs, forcing him to stay inside her. He was surprised by the ferociousness of her need.

They had sex again later, but this time she controlled the action from the start. She straddled him after getting him aroused and hard; she took him inside and rode him as hard as she could, feeling the orgasm building inside. He helped by reaching for her clit and stroking it. It took only seconds then for her to experience the orgasm she was working for so hard. She collapsed on him. Valentin had also felt a similar orgasm at the same time. He was thrilled.

“Irushka,” he breathed, his eyes brightened.

“Ah, Valentin, I love you as a friend. I will be gone in a day or so. This is only something I needed. You are my friend, not my husband.” She kissed him lightly, rolling off him.

There was disappointment in his eyes, but he understood. They did not love one another. They were better off as friends. They never had sex together again.

The door opened and Valentin’s eyes lighted. “Irushka,” he breathed. “Come inside.” He stood as she entered then pushed the door shut. “You don’t look well.” He kissed her lightly on both cheeks.

“Eighteen months in various forms of captivity, do not lead to a healthy body.” She took a seat in front of his massive desk. “How have you been?”

“As well as I can be with all that is going on, including the chemical explosion in Sovogda.”

Irina snorted, “Valentin, you cannot perpetuate that myth. Satellite pictures showed what was happening. You must tell the truth. If you hope to be regarded as an honest man, you must tell the truth.”

“The Generals said that was what happened.”

“Idiots!” She gazed at him. “I was there and I know exactly what happened.”

He looked startled. “You—you look normal.”

“Of course. I didn’t drink any of the tainted water.” Irina snorted and then she smiled. “It was my daughter who destroyed the device.”

“But…but she’s a CIA agent!” He was horrified.

“I was with the team. Obviously,” she said almost angrily, “the Russian government was not ready to act, but the Americans were.” She went on to tell the story about Yelena’s hideous desire to ‘cleanse the world’ as she put it. She told him how Sydney, Nadia, and Jack had rescued her from Yelena’s men.

“Suka sranaya,” Valentin swore. “Where is your sister?”

“Dead. I shot her.” She said matter-of-factly. Irina stood. “Tell the truth, Valentin. You owe it to our people and to the world. I would not go into too much detail about what happened to the Sovogdans.”

“You know I cannot acknowledge your part in this or those who were with you. SVR would be furious and all military intelligence agencies would scream.”

“Of course,” she smiled. “Now I must go home. It has been a long time since I have slept in my own bed.”

Her host opened the door. He kissed Irina again on both cheeks. “Thank you, Irushka. You are a true patriot.” His man stood close by listening to everything and Irina glanced at him. She knew he was curious, but nothing more was said. Valentin stepped back and the door slid shut.

RUSSIAN TRANSLATIONS
Suka sranaya – f***ing b*itch
Spasiba – Thank you
Sic sukam sim – Son of a b*itch

Yay a new fic!!!! (I am so late in replying and behind the eightball. lol) I only got a chance to quickly read through the first chapter, but i will be back soon (tomorrow hopefully) to read and review properly!!

Off to work in London now.
BTW Bev, thanks for telling Brenda that i might want to meet up with them in London. I wanted to, but couldn't my dad had to work nights last night so i couldn't go up to London until today... er now (i'm late already lol)
Bye!
Erin

P.S. my e-mail has been giving me problems in outlook, so if you can't get a hold of me, just pm me. Have i sent you the lates chapter of IOS? I'm not even sure now, I'll have to check.
ttyl
HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND!
Erin

Okay proper review time.

First off amazing as always. I'm definitley looking forwards to the reappearance of Grigor. Nadia is definitely Jack's and I hope that's true next season as well.

The torture scenes make my skin crawl and Valentin better do the right thing!

I always love how you write Irina!

Write fast!
Erin

Part 5 – A Soul in Need

Irina said goodbye to Grigor, who had cooked her a good dinner and listened while she told him of her travails the past year and a half. Grigor was horrified and angry that he had not been able to help her. Irina shushed him, “You didn’t know where I was.”

Yelena had kidnapped Irina and hidden her so no one could find her. The one thing she did not tell him…that Jack had killed the double thinking it was she. She did not think Grigor would understand the concept.

“There was nothing you could do,” she said. “You are my friend. Help me now. I need to be alone and take care of myself. I am tired.” She didn’t tell him she was not well. Recovery from Yelena’s ‘loving’ care would take weeks. She would have to work hard to regain her strength and physical state she was in before captivity.

Grigor kissed her on both cheeks, vowing no one would ever do that again to her. She smiled, touched him on the cheek, and then closed the door, locking it. She did not plan to open it again soon.

She slept fourteen hours. There were no dreams or nightmares. She awakened and went to the kitchen, ate some leftovers with a cup of tea; then she went back to bed again, sleeping for another eight hours. When she woke up, she felt immeasurably better than she had two days ago.
Still she felt a malaise come over her…making her lethargic and uneasy. She went running which seemed to make her feel better. She stopped after a mile, exhausted, knowing her usual five miles out of the question.

It was a week before she contacted Dimitri. He reported there were eight men and two women who wanted to rejoin The Man’s business. He gave her the names.

“Good,” she said, “get in touch with them. We will meet at Maria’s.”

Over the next two weeks, she re-established her organization in Berlin, Prague, Paris, and London, sending representatives to re-open an office in each city. Irina had some discs with information on several government and banking leaders, which might be useful. She wasn’t sure if she would use it, though. There was something nagging at her and she could not put her finger on it until one evening after she’d been in contact with the man now running her London office.
She realized she had not heard from Jack.

She specifically wanted to know about Nadia. Had they found anything to reverse what Yelena had done to her? Of course, she realized, no news was good news—at least to the American way of thinking. Still, when she checked her personal computer everyday, there were no messages from him. She thought they left on good terms, at least reasonably so. He’d let her go instead of returning her to the U.S. where she would face life imprisonment.

Irina did not sleep well for several nights. Bits and pieces of nightmares kept interrupting and she always awakened sweating and exhausted. She kept dreaming about the months she was a prisoner of Yelena and of the torture her sister put her through in order to get the information. She wondered what was happening to her. Why was she dreaming now?

It was late at night after she returned home that her buzzer rang. Someone to see her? She glanced at the clock; it was ten! She went to the window and looked out, but it was too dark to recognize anyone. She went to the intercom.

“Yes?”

“It’s Jack,” came the familiar voice.

She pushed the release button to the door lock, “Hurry,” she cried trembling a little at the sound of his voice.

She heard him coming up the stairs. She threw open the door as he took the last step, turned and walked to her doorway. They stared at each other for a moment. Jack pulled her into his arms, holding her tight to his body. Irina felt giddy.

“Come inside,” she whispered as he released her. She shut the door as he entered. She wasn’t all that sure he was here for a good reason. “What’s happened?”

“Sydney!”

A wave of fear washed over her. “What?”

“She was in an accident…a bad one.”

“Oh my God,” she cried. “Is she dead?”

“No!” He took her hand and led her to the sofa. “She’s pregnant. Vaughn and she were on their way to Santa Barbara to get married, when they were rammed by a SUV.” He held her hands now, watching her face. “Vaughn was nearly killed. He’s in the hospital and the doctors say they don’t know how long he’ll be. He has a fractured skull and multiple fractures. His spleen was ruptured and they took it out.”

“Sydney…the baby…is it alright?”

“Yes, but the accident was so unexpected and so violent that she doesn’t remember anything. She doesn’t remember Vaughn at all. She doesn’t remember anything except…” he paused, “…except that…” again he paused, trying to tell her. “ Sydney has regressed to the time she was six just before you left us.”

Irina gasped. “She’s six?”

He nodded. “In her mind, yes. The doctors seem to think she’ll come out of it, but with time. They said she needed to be with her family again.”

She stared. “What does that mean…exactly?”

“You and I have to live together as we were in 1981.”

“That’s impossible…you know that!” She shivered. She wanted to be with him, but not as Laura. She was dead.

He shook his head, “No, Irina, you need to do this for her.”

She closed her eyes, knowing he was right. “Of course, but where?” She stared at him.

“At our home in LA.”

“Jack, are you crazy? I can’t go back. They’ll imprison me.”

“They won’t know. I’ve worked everything out.”

Irina gaped at him, “but you can’t be serious. I will do anything for Sydney, but you’re asking me to play at being married to you, to live in Los Angeles. Is this some trick to get me back to the U. S.?” She had real feelings for him, but this was dangerous. “Jack, I do not want to spend the rest of my life in prison.”

“Irina,” he said quietly, but firmly, “the days after you left were the most heart-breaking for Sydney…and me. At this time, she does not remember it. We have to make sure she believes the family is intact and that all is well between Daddy and Mommy.” Those were the names Sydney called her parents. “Besides, I believe you owe me.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Nadia.”

“What about her? Isn’t she getting treatment?”

“You didn’t tell me she was ours.”

“Jack, I thought you knew she was.”

He stared at her. “How would I know that? You said nothing to me when you were in the CIA’s hands. Why?”

She looked away for a moment. Then she answered, looking straight into his eyes. “Because I didn’t even know if she was alive…or dead. I did not want to burden you with any more than you already had to bear with my being so close.”

“Irina, I thought because of your indiscretion with Sloane that he…”
She gasped, “you mean you assumed…?” She saw the misery in his eyes. “Jack, please, forgive me. Why did you?”

“Rambaldi and the hourglass. According to the manuscript, the hourglass had to be broken in the presence of her father. Sloane broke the hourglass.”

Irina was astonished. “You were there, weren’t you?” He nodded. “Then…?” She shrugged.

He sighed, running his hand over his eyes. “All right, but Sloane truly believes Nadia is his child.”

“Too bad,” she snapped, “she is not his and never was.” She stood up. “You want some coffee?”

“Yes…I…” Slightly confused, he followed her to the kitchen area. “You still need to come back to Los Angeles.”

“Is this Dr. Barnett’s doing?” Irina said. She was not too fond of the psychologist.

“No, I went to Dr. Eunice Wong at UCLA. She still is there teaching a couple of classes a week in advanced psychoanalysis.”

Irina suddenly remembered the name. She couldn’t believe Eunice was at UCLA. “My God, she must be seventy.”

“Actually she’s seventy-five. I told her as much as I could about Sydney’s situation. She advised that we needed to role-play to get her comfortable to put her mind at ease and see if we cannot bring her back to the present. She asked if I could find an actor who could play my wife. I told her I had the perfect wife replacement.” He smiled.

“How long do I need to pretend,” she asked. If she went away too long, it would mean a delay of her return to business.

“Eunice thought about a week.”

The city shimmered and simmered this September day. A hundred degrees the weatherman promised. Not everyone was pleased, even though it meant a dash to the beach for hundreds of young teens who did not have to work and perhaps hundreds more who played hooky from their jobs in order to catch a wave or perhaps a breeze. That person was Irina Derevko who had just flown in from Moscow where the temperature had been a brisk sixty.

In the heat of this afternoon, Irina was on her way—home…home to the house she, as Laura Bristow, and Jack had lived for almost nine years. It was the home where she had been mother and wife as well as spy and assassin. She was not sure still that this would work. There were too many memories. She did promise him though because she wanted Sydney to be herself once more. Nadia was a question mark and the loss of both daughters to tragedy was almost too much to bear.

So here she was. The cab was driving off as she stared at THEIR home—Jack and Laura’s. She thought for a moment that she was going to get sick. She almost turned around afraid of what was going to happen. She stiffened, took a deep breath, walking up on the porch.

Irina opened the door with the key Jack gave her. “Sydney, I’m home.”

She walked in with her bag setting it down near the stairs, and then went into the kitchen, leaving her purse on the counter near the telephone. Jack warned her she must not answer it as the CIA had the number and his fellow agents sometimes, not often, called. She wondered if that might not prove difficult since Sydney could wonder why she didn’t answer it. She’d wait until that happened before wondering what she’d do. She turned as she heard someone coming down the stairs.

“Mommy,” cried Sydney. She hugged her mother tightly. “Did you bring me a present?”

“Of course, sweetheart, something to add to your collection.” She fished around in the large purse and pulled out a package rolled in tissue paper. Irina watched Sydney as she took off the paper from the gaily-painted doll. She picked it up in Moscow. She knew it would have been something Laura Bristow would bring home to a six-year old.

Jack came to the door. He knew Irina arrived home much earlier. He heard someone playing the piano. It must be Sydney. It gave him a chill. She’d been taking piano lessons when Irina, no Laura, left in 1981. He opened the door softly looking into the living room. Sydney was at the piano playing a simple piece. Irina sat next to her watching.

He shut the door. Both turned to look at him and both were smiling. “How are my two girls today?” He said.

“Jack!” said Irina.

“Daddy,” cried Sydney. “Mommy came home this afternoon. She brought me these.” She held up a painted doll. “There are six of them, all inside.” She rushed to him, throwing her arms around him.

He bent down slightly and kissed her on the forehead. “I’m glad you made it home alright,” he said looking at Irina.

“It was an experience,” she said standing. “Moscow, I mean, the conference was different than I expected.” She kissed him lightly on the mouth as Sydney moved to one side. “Dinner will be ready shortly. Drink?”

“Thanks,” he answered. “What were you playing on the piano, Sydney?”

“Morning Glory,” she answered. “Mom said that it was about a flower.”

That night Irina tucked Sydney into bed. She caressed her daughter’s cheek. “You want me to read you a story?”

“Yes, please, something from Alice.”

Irina laughed softly and found the book close by. It was Sydney’s favorite. She read to her from the beginning and shortly she saw the little girl in a woman’s body drift off into a deep sleep. She put the book down. She noticed it was not the First Edition. Jack told her that it had been lost in the fire. Irina decided to find Sydney another one.

She entered the bedroom. Jack was sitting up in bed, reading. He looked up and smiled. “She’s alright?”

Irina took off her clothes, hanging everything in the closet and tossing her underwear in the basket for dirty clothes. She put on the robe she found hanging where she left it over twenty years ago. It seemed so surreal that she hesitated.

“She’s fine,” she said. “I read her some from Alice.” She walked to the large bathroom. There was a dressing table with lights. She glanced at it and was surprised. All of Laura’s things were there: comb, brush, and nail file. There was no make-up though, but then it would not be usable. She would have to buy some tomorrow. She and Sydney would go shopping.

She picked up the brush and began stroking her hair, just as she’d always done every evening. As Irina brushed her hair, she noticed Jack watching her. There was a wistful look on his face. She took her eyes off him. She took a long look at her hair. She was going to get it trimmed. After she finished, she turned toward the bed.

“Would you come here,” asked Jack? He put the book on the nightstand.

“What?” She walked the few steps it took.

“Take off that robe.” He said firmly, but not ordering her.

Irina hesitated for just a moment. Technically, he was her husband, but she thought he’d given up that role a long time ago. She took it off and tossed it at the end of the bed. She knew she was not in the best shape, but…she stood before him.

“Turn around,” he asked politely.

“Jack, what…?” Irina wasn’t sure why he was asking her. Then she felt his hands gently touch and move across her back. “No, wait,” she cried.

He stood and pulled her around to face him. “Irina, when did that happen?” His hands moved gently up and down her torso. She had lost weight and now what he felt were decidedly present. She had multiple scars criss-crossing her back. “Was it Kashmir?”

There were tears in her eyes as she nodded, saying, “I don’t want to talk about it.”

He brushed the tears away. “Alright, but someday you need to talk to someone about it. I’m willing to listen anytime.”

“No, you are too intimately involved with me. I—I don’t know if I could.”

“Then find someone, sweetheart. It isn’t good for your soul,” he murmured in her ear. “You need to exorcise those demons you’ve been hiding.” He moved his lips to under her ear.

“Jack, not tonight…please.”

He looked at her, saw the misery in her eyes, and stopped. “Of course, but can I hold you?”

In answer, she slid into bed and he followed, putting his left arm under her neck. She laid her head on his shoulder. Comforted by the warmth of his body and touch, she fell asleep.

She awoke with a start. Sydney! She was screaming.

:shock:

Part 6 – Two Lost Souls

Throwing on her robe, Irina raced into Sydney’s room. Her daughter was thrashing in the bed as though in a fight.

“SYDNEY,” cried Irina. She jumped into the bed, pulling her daughter close. “Mommy’s here, sweetheart, Mommy’s here.” She put her face close to Sydney, whispering.

Sydney shivered and slowly, calmed down. She opened her eyes. “I—I had a bad dream,” she sobbed.

“Can you tell me about it?” Irina said.

“I—I can’t remember,” she cried and then tears rolled down her cheeks.

“What happened?” Jack entered the room.

“She had a bad dream. I’ll stay with her.” Irina looked at him. “Alright with you?”

He smiled, “Of course.”

Irina spent the night with Sydney who slept fitfully. She was up early; walking to the bedroom she shared with Jack; she saw he was gone. He was an early riser also. She dressed quickly in jeans, tee shirt, and running shoes. Walking into the kitchen, she found a note from him, saying he probably would be home the same time as yesterday. He told her to have a nice day.

“Mommy?” She heard Sydney call her.

Irina ran up the stairs, entering the room to find Sydney kneeling on her bed. “What is it?”

“What shall I wear?”

“Would you like to run with me?”

“Oh yes!”

Irina knew this was safe. Sydney when she was six was too young physically. Now, however, she was able to keep up easily and probably able to run farther faster. She opened the closet. Jack evidently had gone to Sydney’s apartment and brought over some clothes he thought she could wear. Irina picked out a pair of jeans and tee. “Put these on…meet you downstairs. No doddling either, we’ve a lot to do today. We’re going shopping.”

Two nights later, Irina climbed into bed with Jack. She was exhausted. Sydney kept her on the run the last three days. Acting like a six year old in the stores, racing to the clothes racks, and looking into the dressing rooms with the brazenness of a little kid. Irina had had some near misses with security in some stores. Finally, she told the sales people first that her daughter was mentally six instead of the thirty she was physically. It had been easier with them on her side to manage Sydney’s precociousness.

The market was even more stressful. Sydney kept dropping candy, cookies and even ice cream bars into the cart as Irina tried to buy some items for dinner. She wasn’t too good about staying with her mother just as she had at the department stores. Other shoppers stared at the young woman wondering what was wrong with her. Irina’s hair, which she’d worn up, started to unravel. She promised Sydney an ice cream cone if she would behave. Sydney was simply a hyperactive six-year old and Irina was not 31 anymore.

“Does this explain why we had take-out Chinese?” He laughed.

”Oh God, yes,” she replied. She leaned over and kissed him on the cheek.

He chuckled, “I hope your day is better tomorrow.”

Irina snorted and fell asleep. She dreamed.

“Guard,” shouted her interrogator, the door opened, and a new guard she had not seen before entered. He was the biggest man she’d ever seen. He was two meters tall and weighed close to 160 kilos. He was wearing sergeant stripes on his uniform.

“Yes sir?”

“Feet interrogation,” said the other. He pulled out a cigarette and watched the sergeant pull Irina to the wall, roll her on her stomach, and lock her wrist chains through a curved wall spike. Finished, he pulled a block of wood over. It had two holes in it. He undid some sort of lock and lifted the hinged top. He reached down and pulled her legs up, placing her ankles inside. The top came down effectively holding her ankles tight. She could not move her feet.

“Stand over there,” ordered the interrogator. He indicated the wall next to the door. He turned back to her. “Now, Irina Annya Derevkova, you have made my Colonel very angry. The KGB bosses are angry because he has not reported any success. He is angry with me because I have reported no success. It is the trickle down effect. Do you understand?”

“Yes.”

“So let me explain what we do here with this.” He pointed at the box holding her ankles. “The soles of your feet may be toughened over the years, but they also hold nerve endings which can be sensitive to pain.” He held a switch, made from some supple tree or bush. He whipped it across her feet.

Irina felt pain in all parts of her body. She wanted to jerk her feet away, but she could not. They were in a vise.

“Are you an American spy? He asked.

“No,” she said and he struck her hard. She screamed.

…and screamed again. She thrashed. She was on her stomach, but tangled in the sheet and blanket.

“Irina,” cried Jack and he pulled her close. “Wake up.” He shook her. “Darling, wake up!”

From somewhere in the depth of her terror, there came a deep low cry of anguish and pain. “Nyet! Nyet! NYET!” She began to shake. Her hands reached out and gripped Jack around the neck. She squeezed with maniacal fury. Finally, before he lost consciousness, Jack hit her across the jaw, managing to stun her enough so that her hands loosened their grip.

“Dad!” Sydney stood in the doorway. “What? Why?” She looked confused. “What’s Mom doing here?”

Jack pulled Irina’s hands from his neck. They fell to her side. “She was dreaming and it’s my guess it was about Kashmir.” Then he was aware something was different. Sydney had asked why Irina was here.

“Sweetheart, how do you feel?”

“I’m fine. How’s Vaughn?”

“He’s going to be alright. However, it will take time. We were worried about you.”

Sydney nodded, “I know, but I heard the screaming and something happened, I felt as though I needed to help whoever it was. I didn’t know it was Mom until I came in here.” She turned. “Will she be okay?” She looked around, her eyes widening. “What am I doing here…at our old home?”

“Yes, well I’ll explain,” he looked at Irina who was moaning, holding her jaw. “Irina, get dressed. We’ll meet you downstairs in a few minutes.” He took his robe and put it on.

Irina dressed hearing voices from the kitchen. Her jaw ached. What happened? Then she remembered she was dreaming about Kashmir. Why did her jaw ache though? She pulled herself out of bed and headed to the shower. Minutes later, she was dressed and on her way to the kitchen.

She paused on the last step as she heard Jack say, “I’m glad you’re back with us in the here and now. We all were worried about you. Your mother took a terrible risk, but she came.”

Irina entered the kitchen. “Sydney, you’re okay now?” She kissed her daughter on both cheeks. “As a six-year old walking around in a thirty-year old woman’s body, you were a pain in the ass.”

“Dad told me you came to help me snap out of it.” Sydney hugged Irina. “Thank you.”

Irina found hot water on the stove and fixed herself some tea. She watched her husband and daughter fondly. “I think I’d better leave, before…” She left unsaid what the others knew.

“Oh stay, please,” cried Sydney. “We haven’t talked for a long time.”

“Your mother’s right, Sydney. Every day she stays she runs the risk of being seen.”

“How soon can you make arrangements,” Irina said, sipping the tea.

“Probably as early as tomorrow.”

Irina put the cup down, looking at Sydney. “Then we have until tomorrow to talk…all you want.”

That night when Jack came home, he found the two women sitting on the sofa, both with their legs drawn up and facing one another. They both unfolded themselves and rushed to greet him. It was obvious they had spent all day talking, laughing, and even crying. He put his briefcase down as Irina moved into his arms. She kissed him lightly, because her jaw still ached. There was a dark bruise showing too.

“Are things ready?”

He nodded. “Yes.”

“Dad, when can I see Vaughn?”

“He’s under a lot of sedation, but you can see him any time.”

“Tonight?”

“Of course.” He smiled at her. “I did tell APO that you had ‘snapped’ out of it and were back to normal.”

“Do you mind me skipping dinner?” Since there was no objection from her parents, Sydney grabbed her keys and left.

“I take it your day went well,” said Jack.

“Yes…Jack, why did you hit me?”

He nodded apologetically. “I’m sorry, Irina, but you wouldn’t let go.” He pointed at his throat.

“I think,” Irina continued, “I do need to tell someone about…about Kashmir. Could you get Eunice Wong to fly to Moscow?”

“I don’t know, but I’ll try.” He was smiling. The nightmare must have been her worst.

“You tell her that Laura Bristow needs her desperately and see what happens!”

They went out to dinner to a small Mexican restaurant that had good food, but served only beer or wine. When they were finished, Jack drove to the beach and parked the car so they could watch the sunset. They said nothing, but Irina rested her head on his shoulder. Sometimes, she thought, quiet was better.
In the bedroom, as they undressed, Irina looked at her husband and felt as if someone were squeezing her heart dry. She slipped under the sheets. He joined her moments later.

“Jack,” she said softly, “make love to me, please.”

He smiled, “You never have to say please, darling.”

He put one leg between hers and his lips began working on her erogenous zones. First under both ears, then her under the jaw, her neck. She stopped him, pulling his lips to her mouth. She opened her mouth demanding his attention. He gave it to her. His tongue darted in an out, searching for every crevice and every muscle. He drove his tongue in deep. Irina felt his erection grow along her thigh.

“Let me,” he growled. “I’ll get you there.”

“Yes,” she answered breathlessly.

He moved his lips further down to her breasts, sucking on one as he massaged the other, playing with the nipple. It grew hard. He moved his mouth to that one, massaging the other. She gave a little whimper. He moved down her abdomen and kissing it, moved his outside leg, so that both were between hers.

“Jack.” she whispered.

“Ummm, I’m busy,” he answered. Moving back, he paid attention to the dark patch between her legs. He kissed her inner thighs, slowly. His tongue darted into the wet lips and caught her clitoris as it swelled.

She moaned, as waves of intense feeling began to build. She grabbed at his hair. “Jack, I need you now.”
He answered by burying his head into her further, his tongue, and lips working at the labia and going deeper. She gasped, cried out and gasped again, taking deep breaths. He lapped the fluid from her labia, vulva, and clitoris. She was more than ready. He got to his knees, his own erection hard. Jack reached for her buttocks, lifted them slightly. Irina wrapped her legs around him as he plunged his penis deep inside her.

“Oh,” she cried, as he thrust again. Her muscles tightened around his penis as he withdrew and then plunged again. She rose slightly to meet the thrust and they both came together. The bed rocked as waves of ecstasy rolled over them both. Jack groaned with pleasure. Irina kept him inside her as she felt another, but lesser orgasm begin. She rocked with him held tight as she peaked again.

Jack woke Irina up early the next morning. He kissed her. “Wake up,” he said softly, “we have to get you on your way.”

She smiled sleepily, “Thank you. I had a lovely evening.” She squirmed a little, remembering the orgasms.

“Me too,” he whispered and kissed her again. “You do remember I’ve resigned from the CIA?”

Irina sat up. “I don’t work for SVR either. Do you want to join me in Russia?”

“Let me think. I want to be sure Nadia is alright before I answer you.”

“God, I wish I could see her.” Suddenly a tear rolled down her cheek. “I hardly know her.”

“I’ll have to stand in for you,” he said, pulling her out of bed. “I’ll get coffee started while you shower.”

Fifteen minutes later she was sitting on one of the bar stools, drinking coffee. He handed her a plate full of pastries.

“I have some news. While you were showering, I contacted Eunice Wong at home. She is absolutely enthralled and excited to meet with Laura Bristow who has returned from the dead. She will arrive in Moscow in three days.

Irina nodded, knowing Eunice might get more than she bargained for.

*** :woot:

Back